Need help decorating complete living room
karenmary99
September 17, 2013
So we've lived in our house for many years and I am tired of it not looking like a grown up space. We just had our carpets replaced with a laminate and painted the walls a warm beige (Behr wheat bread) Currently our tv stand is from ikea and our couches and coffee table are really old and need replacing. I have a bookshelf which is on the left of the picture. It is in great shape but the finish is pretty beat up and will need to be redone. I would like to paint it but since I have no idea of a color scheme for this space I don't want to do it yet. Our living room is also open to the breakfast room, dining room, and kitchen so I'd like for it all to have a cohesive feel. The breakfast room has a nice mahogany china cabinet which I don't plan to touch as its in good shape. I would like to line the back of the inside of it with a pretty fabric but want something that will work with the living room as well. I need a rug but since I have no idea on color I don't know what to get. So basically I guess where I need to start is colors and feel? I was thinking navy and red? I'm not really sure. I was thinking turquoise and coral for a sec but I want it to be a mature space that I wont tire of so I'm thinking no now.
karenmary99
This is the bookshelf in the living room
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:10PM
karenmary99
This is the breakfast room. We would also like to get a new table in this room. Please excuse the colors on the wall. We were sampling. We will be painting this wall and the kitchen the beige in the future.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:11PM
karenmary99
This is the dining room. We will be keeping this furniture. The picture in the original post is taken standing in the dining room.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:12PM
Barbie
Color is such a personal preference. I totally understand how certain colors make you feel like your room is more 'grown up'. I think looking for something that is classic and not too trendy is what you sound like you are looking for. I have tried to go with some of the new popular colors and always go back to my favorites. I will say what has helped me is to ask what colors are you comfortable in? I am one that always wears blues, browns, grays, whites, blacks. etc. I feel awkward even wearing bright colors. It is a good start because you will be living here and want it to reflect you. And then add in those pops of color in a more subtle way.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:17PM
davidaa1974
Hi there, dave from the uk here..... What a great space you have...... So many options ill get my thinking cap on :)
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:35PM
davidaa1974
Neutral colours, work great with a strong feature wall.... Teal would look great in the lounge.... You have a lot of space so pull the furniture out a little, don't keep it all in the one corner,maybe a really big statement mirror above the fire place?
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:40PM
azbakers
Get an area rug
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:43PM
abbyjean
I would love to see more of the dining room......it looks so nice and big, but yet, all the furniture seems crowded. Just wondering if the buffet can move at all? And maybe even turn the table and chairs?
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:54PM
abbyjean
Try to not have the table cloth AND the placemats on in the kitchen eating area and please, no garbage can right by the table.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:56PM
abbyjean
You mentioned painting a beige and I believe that is always a good color and will work with the entire floor of rooms. AND it plays nicely with different accent colors that each room might have......you can use red with it and navy with it easily.

Each of your windows is crying for curtain panels. You have blinds to take care of the privacy and light control, but panels on the ends will add color and coziness to each room.

The clock by the fireplace is too small for that area....nice clock, though, that I hope you can still use in another area. You have the focal points set up perfectly with the tv right there and the furniture all makes sense that way, too........just pull it apart more, especially since you have such a nice, big room. For fun, you could try the love seat under the window and the couch across from it. Keep the coffee table with the couch. The couch will be on THIS side of the tv, so lots of room in between them on the floor. Maybe try the chair beside the love seat, angled in to the room. You need an end table between them with a lamp. An area will help define the space, too. Get a drape panel with a pattern to it and also pillows with your accent colors in a pattern.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:57PM
Renee
Can you orient your furniture away from the fireplace a bit? I prefer when TVs look placed rather than awkwardly next to a fireplace. Could you mount the TV on the right wall farther from the fireplace with a console underneath? The couch facing the TV. Then, put some cozy solution near the fireplace. I can't get a handle on your whole space. But, I'd start with that idea. How important is the TV in that room?
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 8:05PM
Renee
Is that your front or back door to the left of the window? If you move the seating area to face the mounted TV, you could put a pretty bench under the window between the door and the fireplace with some cushions on it.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 8:10PM
karenmary99
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will take better pictures of the space tomorrow. I was standing very far away to capture the whole space in one pic. The clock is actually rather large. I was thinking of a sofa table with lamps (very poor lighting in this area) behind the couch so if I pull it out too much it will make it tight to walk around. I can move the tv father from the fireplace. Ii also have a large wall behind the loveseat that's an empty space but we'd like to make it a little spot to put my husbands desk which is currently in the bedroom. The tv is a must and the breakfast table cloth is just temporary. Our table is glass and with toddlers its easier to have it on right now until we get a new table, so many fingerprints! Sorry there is no where else the trashcan can go. We recently painted and did not put the curtains back up since we want to get new ones. I have three windows in three different areas. I'm thinking I should use the same rod and curtains? The rod in the breakfast room was chrome and the one in the living room was black. I'm unsure about moving out the dining room table. Would it look weird if its not centered with the window and light?
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 9:00PM
abbyjean
A desk in the area sounds great and the clock might make sense by the desk, too. It would be nice for the desk and the book shelf to share a space.

A sofa table is always nice to finish off the back of the sofa and I like how you picture a lamp on it, too.

I am fine with the table cloth and totally understand the toddlers. I was just not liking the place mats ON the table cloth.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 9:12PM
Fleischer + Khorrami Interior Design
There is tons of space in your home, spread your furniture out a little. In the living room move your seating arrangement away from the fire place. Can you post a picture of the other side of the living room? For color try an area rug in the living and dining room, and a few decorative pillows. How about a couple of side tables with table lamps, It looks like you could use some more lights.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 9:26PM
Carmel Decor
How about adding color with area rugs.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 9:32PM
Italian Interiors
First and foremost this needs some accurate and proportional space planning. before you think about the small details, you need to figure out the layout. I would suggest sketching out a floor plan and take note of dimensions of your space and the furniture. make a list of what you are keeping and what you are getting rid of and take it from there.
you definitely have a number of areas that can use some furniture. maybe some side tables/floor lamps/decor would help bring some balance. and you have a lot of empty wall space, so think about what you want to dress that up, whether with photographs, art, wall treatments, where ever your taste and style lead you.
one thing struck me of what you said-- that you were thinking about navy/red, and coral/turquoise, both these are along the same lines with similar complementing colour, so go with it! if you are worried about the colours being too much, or getting tired of them, remember its all about how you use them, and thinking of how 'everything' works together.

that being said, I do think you would benefit greatly by thinking about introducing some interesting pattern, you have a great space to work with, so really use every part of it to work as a whole...oh, and dont forget to change that light fixture!

here are some ideas to get your inspiration going!
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 10:08PM
Italian Interiors
...
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 10:09PM
The Kitchen/Dining Room/Living Room Remodel is almost complete...
What do you think? Any suggestions on a backsplash...
charityscherubs
Need help decorating my living room/dining room!!
I need help tying my living room and dining room together....
j sab
Need help to complete our living room (continued)
Hi all, I have asked help on completing our living...
melindwang
Do I need curtains to complete my living room?
Hi, I have been updating my living room. From the photos...
linester25
Stuck-need help on living room- need help decorating- furniture ideas
My living room comes off the front entrance and it...
jannnnn
Photos to ideabook
Just spent hours going thru thousands of photos, saving...
briangott
Can I remove half a porch?
Will it look weird if I remove half the porch and put...
sunnysideforever
Need advice for entryway
What thoughts do you have on the area infront of the...
ginamuto
Need help picking a range hood
We are remodeling our kitchen and have chosen to go...
homecaryn
how to choose a floor to go with dark pinewood flooring
we have dark pine wood flooring throughout the house...
cseptimus