Refinishing pickled kitchen cabinets
Janet Manger
September 18, 2013 in Other
We have custom made Kitchen cabinets that have a 'Pickled' finish and were quite expensive to have made years ago. Now, the finish is wearing away and we have been told the finish can not be repaired nor painted over due to the process that was done to them. Any suggestions other than replacing them? Not sure about painting them as the paint finishes I have seen never look professional, just painted. I would love to see them lite Teal glazed color. Thanks
Rockin' Fine Finish
Could you post pictures of th
September 18, 2013 at 9:26PM   
Rockin' Fine Finish
The cabinets
September 18, 2013 at 9:27PM   
I would suggest removing the doors and hardware, and having them professionally sprayed. The boxes you should be ok painting yourself.
]
September 19, 2013 at 4:03AM   
Janet Manger
Here is a picture of the cabinets. The finish is a cream color. Thanks
September 19, 2013 at 4:04AM   
Janet Manger
The professionals around our area say because of the finish (pickleing treatment) they can not be painted.
September 19, 2013 at 4:06AM   
I don't understand why not, unless they were finished with a wax base. Even so, they should be able to dip the doors in remover, sand and then paint.

Did they tell you what exactly about the pickling treatment is preventing them from being painted?
September 19, 2013 at 4:07AM   
Janet Manger
They said the paint would not stick and turn out well and trying to remove it would be hard because of the pickleing deep in the wood. I will admit, as many products/treatments on the market today, it does not make sense to me that there is not one that could be used to either paint or whatever, but we asked 3 different contractors. I don't really understand what pickling process really is. We could paint the boxes but no one wants to even take on the job of spraying the doors. The cabinets were made by the first owners 30 yrs ago who built the home.
September 19, 2013 at 4:13AM   
Ok, two points. One, if the finish is wearing away, that tells me it's not as permanent as the contractors think it is, right? I mean if it's wearing away how forever permanent could it be?

Two, would you be interested in having new doors made and professionally painted teal? Keep the pickled boxes but have teal doors?

Have you spoken to a professional custom cabinet maker? It's possible the contractors you spoke too don't want to take the risk, or just plain don't know so it's easier to say 'no'. I'd go to a cabinet shop with your picture and talk to someone there.
September 19, 2013 at 4:18AM   
Janet Manger
We don't want 2-tone cabinets and have been told to go back to the company who made them and see if they can repair the doors. Fact is, these cabinets have undergone a slight color change over time with age and probably not worth the time of the cabinet maker to try to match. One reason we don't get new cabinets is the granite is new and cut from a special piece and we are afraid they would break if trying to remove them from the cabinets to put on new ones. The installer of the granite broke 2 tops just trying to install it and we want to keep these pieces. Just seemed easier for us to do something with the cabinets as at the time we did not know they could not be painted. We only kept the cabinets when we remodeled the kitchen because of costs (can't spend money one does not have).
September 19, 2013 at 4:55AM   
In that case my only other suggestion is one you probably won't like - remove a door, sand down the inside and attempt to paint it. If it works, great, if it doesn't you could end up in worse shape. Sorry!
September 19, 2013 at 4:58AM   
Janet Manger
No, that does sound like a good suggestion . . Doing a test area. At least if it does not stay on we can always scrap it off, and who really sees the inside right? Fact is, my husband is an artist and built shelves that matched the cabinets (with paint) in a space where a trash compactor was under one cabinet. Blends in well and I put pretty baskets on those shelves to hold the contents. Thnnks for your time and help.
September 19, 2013 at 5:11AM   
You're welcome! Please remember to prime the surface before you paint, you'll have better adhesion this way.
September 19, 2013 at 5:19AM   
Janet Manger
I will and thanks again. . .
September 19, 2013 at 5:49AM     
Pickled pink kitchen cabinets
Would changing the wall color trick future buyers or...
Help! My kitchen has pickled cabinets and b&w appliances
I am planning on giving my kitchen a face lift. I...
"HELP!!!" Need help with kitchen cabinets! Pickled! No Character!
Moving into new home in Nov. Kitchen cabinets have...
Pickled Oak Kitchen Cabinets
Have small galley Kitchen with Pickled Oak Cabinets....
Kitchen cabinets. Pickled oak. Ugh!
Need I say more? Just purchased this house (have not...
Poll: Keep or replace old kitchen?
Hi everyone, this is the old kitchen that exists in...
Need help picking out cushions for living room
I'm trying to finish up the living room. Would love...
Toddler's bedroom
I want to convert this bedroom into my daughters room....
Need help with flooring
I am constructing a new double-story house which has...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...