Vacation home needs help
R Robulock
small vacay home we are purchasing, there is no driveway, no character and kinda scary looking. metal roof
R Robulock
looks more like the second pic
September 18, 2013 at 6:33am   
Studio M Interior Design
Hopefully the interior is in better shape than the exterior, but I think if your new vacation home has as much charm as the photos attached, you should be fine :) Why not check out some facade ideas? I'd do as much rustic chic as possible, especially in the kitchen! How exciting :)
September 18, 2013 at 6:52am        Thanked by R Robulock
R Robulock
The inside is pretty bad, there is only 1 bathroom which does not look functional and the kitchen cabinets were painted red including part of the walls.

We are buying this house online, it is hard to tell if the rest of the house is in working condition, but so far, both the bathroom and kitchen need to be gutted by the few pics that have been provided.
September 18, 2013 at 7:02am   
R Robulock
it is relatively small too, first we were told it was about 1000 sq ft, not we are told it is exactly 960 sq ft.
September 18, 2013 at 7:03am   
R Robulock
the front of the house is what really scares me since there is not much i can do with the exposed brick, i am wondering what i can do to make it look like a home instead of an abandoned building from the outside. There is NO driveway and NO porch, kinda hard to work without those 2 things.
September 18, 2013 at 7:05am   
I thought this house looked huge by the photo's?? May I ask where this house is located?
September 18, 2013 at 7:10am     
R Robulock
in VA. I could not get the pics from the website because it went into foreclosure. I am talking with the agent to see if they can send them to me personally via email. The house is really only one floor with a basement so the front looks like a 1-level home, but the back shows a 2-level home. But looks just as scary as this one.
September 18, 2013 at 7:12am   
Denita
Please be careful. When viewing f/c online there are people that have represented themselves as agents yet they are not. They get the photos by "scraping" websites for photos and substituting the contact info for their fake name. If you get any request for sending money directly to an individual or use of western union or money gram or anything similar you are being set up for a scam. Buying f/c's is not the same as purchasing a property in a traditional sale. Do your due diligence. Be careful.
September 18, 2013 at 7:20am        Thanked by R Robulock
R Robulock
@Denita, wow, thank you for the info. We are planning on taking a trip there in October to check it out and really see how bad the house's condition is. I hope this is not a scam, I am driving 900 miles to see this property. That is a scary thought
September 18, 2013 at 7:25am     
R Robulock
BYW, the pic I posted is a photo I found on google. The actual house looks like a little box with 2 windows on each side of the door, but as I mentioned there is no driveway or porch, just a brick step before entering the home.
September 18, 2013 at 7:30am   
Denita
Just looking at the house from the photo doesn't indicate a 960sf home. That home has to be much larger that's why the red flags started waving. Then when you mentioned it was a f/c, I am sure something isn't right. Driving 900 miles is better than getting scammed out of $$$. Check the public records too. Call other agents from a reputable company. There are lots of things you can do to check it out remotely before you make the trip. Good luck.
September 18, 2013 at 7:33am        Thanked by R Robulock
R Robulock
Thank you. We are quite nervous about this but we are trying to stay positive.
September 18, 2013 at 7:36am   
R Robulock- I think Denita's idea of calling a large local realtor and giving them the address to verify that this is a ligit property for sale is a great idea! They also may be able to offer more info on the property.
September 18, 2013 at 7:38am        Thanked by R Robulock
R Robulock
We have an agent & he actually walked through the house with a potential buyer at one point. He says the house is in bad shape and needs a lot of interior work. the structure and the roof look like they are in good condition but may need replacing, he is not sure. The house was built in 1926 so I can imagine that everything on the inside will have to be gutted. He is working on getting us more info meaning he may have to get there and take the pics himself since the only 6 pics that were provided did not show a lot of the damage that he thinks we must take into consideration before making a decision to even drive there. Wish me luck!
Thank you.
September 18, 2013 at 7:46am     
Sigrid
I'd consider getting an appraisal/inspection. My understanding is that sellers have to disclose any potential problems, so you want to get that document. Not sure what it is called, but it will have all the specs. If you don't know what the docs you expect are, go to a local realtor and express interest in a random house. They'll give you the standard form. You should get the same from the people you're dealing with on-line.
September 18, 2013 at 7:56am        Thanked by R Robulock
Keep us posted... and yes, hope all is well.
September 18, 2013 at 7:57am        Thanked by R Robulock
R Robulock
Sigrid, I am not sure if that applies to a "cash only, as is" sale. However, you make a really good point and I will bring this up with the realtor. I am sure he will agree with me. I have been such a pain to this man so he knows how serious I am about the history and docs of the house.
September 18, 2013 at 8:01am   
R Robulock
Thank you, Margo, I will, then I will be on Houzz everyday trying to get design info from all my Houzzer friends!!!!
September 18, 2013 at 8:02am   
Great- we live for this stuff'))
September 18, 2013 at 8:08am        Thanked by R Robulock
R Robulock
I know, I have gotten great advice for my living, family, dining & master bdrm from all of you and things are looking great so far, not done yet, but soon!!! :0)
September 18, 2013 at 8:10am   
Genevieve
Always remember these words "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is " and yes please do follow the great advises form our friends ,it will save you grief .
September 18, 2013 at 8:20am        Thanked by R Robulock
Maguire
You do not get a transfer disclosure statement in a f/c as the bank is the seller and has probably never stepped foot in it. Dont hand over any cash before you walk it. It could be in a dangerous neighborhood or have something undesirable nearby. Stop by the local building department for information and requirements. They may insist you take certain steps, connect to the city sewer, put in c/g/s, etc, before they issue permits. Hopefully you're getting it for a steal, this looks like It could be a money pit.
September 18, 2013 at 8:32am        Thanked by R Robulock
cameronnick
Is this property on Block Island?
September 18, 2013 at 8:32am   
R Robulock
Thank you Genevieve & Maguire.

Cameronnick, property is in Lynchburg, VA
September 18, 2013 at 8:35am     
Genevieve
Good luck and keep up us posted, if you like of course:).
September 18, 2013 at 8:39am        Thanked by R Robulock
R Robulock
of course, Genevieve, I am going to need help with the decorating dilemmas!
September 18, 2013 at 8:44am   
pattiegoode
Do you know the neighborhood? If you search the Lynchburg, VA MLS for the neighborhood, you could probably get an idea of what it's like and see comps for the house you are thinking about. You sure are brave!
September 18, 2013 at 8:54am        Thanked by R Robulock
cameronnick
I am familliar with that area, close to Appomatax, Va, very nice rural area. Good luck, hope you are making the right decision. That area is steeped in American history. I would love to see the interior once you close on the property. What year was it built?
September 18, 2013 at 8:58am        Thanked by R Robulock
mousemaker
your pictures don't look like the same building. One has more chimneys than the other unless there is more to it than what we can see.
September 18, 2013 at 9:08am     
R Robulock
Pattiegoode, I have an aunt there, so we have been there a couple times already. I love the historic places, especially DT Lynchburg by the James River by The Depot Restaurant, very nice, great place to eat!

Cameronnick, yes it is nice, some areas have very high priced neighborhoods and some very low, not sure why but I enjoy all the old buildings and quiet life, far from what we have here in S. FL.
September 18, 2013 at 9:35am   
R Robulock
Just checked google maps, I never heard of Appomatax, it is West of Lynchburg about 20 miles.
September 18, 2013 at 9:38am   
R Robulock
sorry, Lynch is West of Appomatax, I wrote that incorrectly.
September 18, 2013 at 9:42am   
R Robulock
mousemaker, I found the pic on google to match the house. The house is a 1-level on a hill, the back of the house looks like a 2-level because of the basement. The pics were removed from the MLS becuz it is now in foreclosure.
I just wanted you guys to see what the house looks like, all brick, scary, no driveway or porch except the step by the front door
September 18, 2013 at 9:59am   
R Robulock
house built in 1926
September 18, 2013 at 10:00am   
Denita
I didn't know you lived in S Fl. I do too :) Funny how we can be neighbors and not even know it
September 18, 2013 at 10:30am     
R Robulock
Denita, true, it is sooo big, I didn't know that a good friend of mine's father lived right behind me...LOL.

How do you like it here, high taxes, high car insurance, high home insurance, traffic??
September 18, 2013 at 10:38am   
Denita
Lol...sounds like S Fl. I'm a native, but the homeowners insurance is enough to get anyone's attention! :(
September 18, 2013 at 10:42am     
R Robulock
yep, I was born and raise here, and I used to think anyone was crazy to live anywhere it snowed...LOL! Look where we are going now! My aunt was the first one to move, a couple years ago, then we went to visit and we like the very quiet life. Have you seen what the H.O. insurance went up to lately? Just got the renewal 2 Thursdays agao, whoaaa!!!! That's enough to put someone in the hospital!
September 18, 2013 at 10:47am   
cameronnick
All of the insurance companies are hungry for money after all the disasters.
September 18, 2013 at 10:51am     
Denita
Yea, go to my profile and email me directly. I have an insurance contact and info that will help. It is crazy! One of my clients got a 40% increase (until I got him going in the right direction). I think Citizens is trying to push policies away through price. ..
September 18, 2013 at 10:52am        Thanked by R Robulock
R Robulock
Cameronnic, you are absolutely right. Our last major disaster was Hurricane Andrew in 1989, and the ins companies keep using that as an excuse. Houses are made must better now.

Denita, great, I will email you know! Thank you.
September 18, 2013 at 11:03am   
shelleyuk
There's no way that's the same house. The chimney placement is completely different.
September 18, 2013 at 11:07am   
shelleyuk
Sorry ignore me I didn't read the whole thread, I understand now that these photos don't show the actual house.
September 18, 2013 at 11:11am     
R Robulock
LOL, it's ok, Shelley
September 18, 2013 at 11:26am   
mdl1552
I live on The Gulf Coast and Insurance here is out of sight , we have to go with this pool Insurance and who ever picks you up , we pay 5000.00 a year
September 18, 2013 at 11:49am   
Denita
No where else in the entire country is the homeowners insurance premium like it is here in S Fl.

Make sure you keep your wind mitigation reports up to date.
September 18, 2013 at 12:03pm        Thanked by R Robulock
mdl1552
I know we hold our breath every time they say a storm is out there.
September 18, 2013 at 12:08pm     
Maguire
I pay $710 year. $5,000 a year, crazy, but you have no state income tax, so it's even. ; )
September 18, 2013 at 12:09pm   
Denita
Lol...
September 18, 2013 at 12:10pm   
mdl1552
this morning my husband said there was a storm near Mexico and they did not know where this one was going, like I said we hold our breath
September 18, 2013 at 12:16pm   
R Robulock
My new renewal is $5,726.00!!!!!

We also had Katrina & Wilma pass through here but not much damage was done. It is not an excuse to raise up the rates just because a storm "might" come our way. 90% of the time it goes north or straight through the gulf. Every year we dodge several storms.
September 18, 2013 at 12:22pm   
R Robulock
True Denita, we pay more than any other state in the U.S.

mdl1552, people don't realize how much all of us here go through every summer. It is just horrible to think that a hurricane "may" pass through here, and then worry about insurance rates.

Maguire, if you don't mind sharing, where are you located?
September 18, 2013 at 12:25pm   
R Robulock
In VA, they pay $300 a year, then again, they don't need to have the same coverage as we do.
September 18, 2013 at 12:26pm   
mdl1552
The last one we had Was Ivan and Dennis and that has been since 2005 and our rates go up every year , we had to Evacuate when Katrina came through we just got wind and water on the road , I will say Ivan hurt us and we had Damage but look how long that has been.
September 18, 2013 at 12:27pm     
Denita
^^^I almost asked Maguire the same thing when I saw the $710/yr for insurance! Last one that hurt us here in Palm Beach was Wilma and that has been years ago now.
September 18, 2013 at 12:30pm     
R Robulock
We stayed in our home during Katrina but I thought the house was going to fly away, yet when we went outside after it has passed, it didn't seem all that bad. No damage other than trees and fences went down and some of the neighbor's sheds.
2005 was 8 years ago, Floridians want to know why their rates increased every year when the last one was in 2005?? hmmmm....LOL....it is all about money, that's all. I read somewhere that even our politicians who live in mansions with swimming pools pay only $1,100, how corrupt is that, LOL
September 18, 2013 at 12:32pm   
R Robulock
Denita, you're right, it was Wilma that hit us not Katrina
September 18, 2013 at 12:33pm   
R Robulock
well enough of that, anyone have any ideas about adding a driveway to this property?? It apparently has a dirt road for a couple of yards from the street to the house.

I am sure it is fine in the summer but when winter comes along & it begins to snow, I don't want to get stuck on my driveway or is that the norm of the houses there??
September 18, 2013 at 12:41pm   
mdl1552
If I had a house like that I would want a driveway all the way up and then it would make a circle.
September 18, 2013 at 12:43pm        Thanked by R Robulock
Maguire
Silicon Valley. I spent 3 years living on the east coast and hated the weather....the snow, the humidity, the summer downpours. Its too hard to play tennis. We're spoiled here.
A discussion on earthquakes on Houzz today. I think you have it worse over there. The hurricanes are too often. Maybe you should start another post on them. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/654982

Okay, driveway....I think we need to see a picture of your actual property in order to make detailed suggestions like that. Post here when you get one. We all want to see it!
September 18, 2013 at 12:46pm   
R Robulock
@mdl1552, I like the idea of a circle one!! Thanks.

@Maguire, it is not all that great. It actually looks like the 2nd pic I posted on the top of this discussion but a 1-level and smaller, much smaller 960 sq ft.
Even with earthquakes, you only pay $710, that is not bad. If you look at it in a monthly basis, we pay about $400 a month while you pay $60 a month, big difference, it is like having a car payment without the wheels.
September 18, 2013 at 12:52pm   
R Robulock
I am dying to see the actual layout of the house. I only saw the 3 pics of the bedroom, one blue, one yellow, one salmon color, the kitchen which has the dining area right next to it, I heard it is called a country kitchen when the dining table is actually in the kitchen, and the one bathroom which is very sad looking. I still have no idea of the size of the living room, I only saw the very sad fireplace which looks like it was gold plated painted over brick which they let oxidize for years, yuck. So I actually have more to worry about on the inside than on the outside...LOL...I just have to take it one step at a time.
September 18, 2013 at 1:03pm   
Need help with rehabbing cabinets in our vacation home!
We bought a vacation home in the mountains, the kitchen...
Need help deciding on paint color for our new build vacation home.
We are building a vacation home near the beach in Arecibo,...
Need help in a vacation home family room.
In a white family room/kitchen, is using white slipcovered...
Exterior help?
Any suggestions for giving this home some style and...
If this was your house what would you do the exterior
Any suggestions on how to get a little curb appeal
Roof material for roof on coast KZN
What is the best kind of roof to have on the coast,...
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...