Help with quality sofa
abyczkowski
I found this Jonathan Louis sofa that I really like, it's comfortable enough for my boyfriend and in our price range. Does anyone have experience with the quality of Jonathan Louis sofas? I don't want to throw away money on something that won't last but we have to stay under $1,000. Preferably something we can go see in person. Please let me know if you think this is a good buy.
karen paul interiors
I am currently paying in the neighborhood of $1100 to $1300 each for comfortable chairs that are a "nice" quality. That price reflects a 40% discount off list (suggested retail price). I've heard of Johnathan Louis, but I've not specified them for my projects. I would suggest you may want to look for your piece within the parameters of "consigned" furniture. The older pieces are well built and the recovering of them would not be more than the average cost of a sofa "ensemble" today, in a variety of qualities. If you can only afford $1000 today, then I also would recommend you might want to save another $1,000 before you make your purchase. If you don't require your upholstery to live much beyond 7 years, then by all means, buy what you like and know your investment is costing you only $147.00 per year.
September 18, 2013 at 7:23pm   
abbyjean
Oh,my! I think you are doing just fine with that price in mind for a good sofa! We have paid less than that and have been very happy for a long time, too. Do not feel like you are compromising, either. I am sorry that I cannot help you more with the brand or another suggestion for your area.
September 18, 2013 at 7:33pm     
Debp
If you like it, it's comfortable and it fits in your budget, then by all means buy it. There is lots of time for you to buy more expensive furniture. Sometimes your style changes and its nice to be able to purchase something new and not feel guilty about wanting to replace an expensive piece of furniture.
September 18, 2013 at 9:02pm   
traditionalguy467
Hi Abyczkowski.
I personally have not heard of Jonathan Louis, but that doesn't mean there aren't any small manufacturer's making quality pieces. The questions you should be asking of the maker would be whether or not it has eight-way hand tied springs underneath, and if it is a hardwood frame. These two items have always been a benchmark of a quality piece. A thousand dollars is still a large purchase, especially if you are just starting out. Your choice has nice lines, and still is a handsome piece regardless of what you decide. I think my fellow Houzzers have given excellent advice, and I think it's great that you are making the effort to educate yourself on what makes a quality piece of furniture. The best to you!
September 19, 2013 at 1:52am   
abyczkowski
Thanks for all of your help! I know that I'm getting mid-range furniture at best for the price, but unfortunately that's the most we can spend at this point and have a lot of other things we need to get for our place.
The frame is solid wood--hardwood and pine. It does not have the 8 way hand tied springs and says the cushions are made of high resiliency foam. I'm not looking for this to last 10 years, but am more concerned about it still looking and feeling good after a couple years.
September 19, 2013 at 4:02am   
abyczkowski
Just a thought on this...the full price of this sectional is $1100, so would that put it in a better category of quality?
September 25, 2013 at 5:42pm   
Looking for good quality organic sofa and chairs
I am looking to avoid toxic chemicals of all kinds...
Looking for a quality sofa manufacturer.
We are in the process of looking for a sofa..well,...
Let's talk good quality sofas!
We have a large great room in our new build. We are...
Good quality leather sofa manufacturers
Can any help me? I am trying to purchase a good quality...
What are the best quality sofa manufacturers?
I am looking to customize a sofa (maybe fabric/leather...
sectional? bad idea?
I know I know ...futon. we had a big couch that fell...
need ideas for the wall in my dressing room
I just have reformed this room for my dressing room...
Need ideas to hide cables and wires in an older home
Cable wires and phone lines are on the interior walls...
Need help with a 1930's kitchen
We're buying a 1930's colonial that needs some updating....
Ideas for dated kitchen in old cape cod
Hi everyone, Awesome site first of all. My fiancé...