Need help with what to put on either side of mirror
lauren1333
I have a small dining room and wanted to hang a large mirror (on the empty gray wall in the photo) to open up the room. I purchased a more vertical mirror - light gray with silver nail heads around the frame (attached photo). My dining chairs have silver nail heads which matches the mirror nicely - assuming the wall and mirror don't blend too much since they are both gray. I am trying to avoid putting any type of furniture (credenza, sideboard, etc) on either side because it will limit space which is already tight. Any ideas on what to hang on either side? Or should i return the mirror and try to find something that is more square to avoid this issue? THANK YOU!!
abbyjean
I would love to see a big piece of colorful art there instead. The mirror is nice, but I do not always like them in a dining room....think of the person that sits in the chair that watches themselves eat. I know, they probably wouldn't, but color would be nice in here, too. Also, what would the mirror reflect? Anything special? Sometimes I think we just use a mirror as a filler on a wall.
September 18, 2013 at 7:58pm     
MUMMEINTERIORS
I have seen that Drexel mirror and do like it for your space as long as it doesn't blend in to much with the wall. My thought would be to hang two of the mirrors vertically on the wall.

Matt
September 18, 2013 at 7:59pm     
Genevieve
a couple of these for example or vertical art pieces,let me see what I can come up with

Dianelli Wall Sconce by Sonneman Lighting
Metal & Rattan Wall Décor

or you could get a sideboard like this one and instead of hanging the mirror vertically you could hang it horizontally
Kobe 2 Doors-3 Drawers Sideboard
September 18, 2013 at 8:02pm   
Brenda
that mirror is not going to work hung (or leaning) vertical in that space ... it might work hung horizontal, but Isuspect that is not the look you were going for
September 18, 2013 at 8:04pm   
MUMMEINTERIORS
Horizontally will not look right a pair of mirrors or panels like Genevieve is suggesting would be best.
September 18, 2013 at 8:06pm   
HI -- No mirrors in the dining room, please. Most people don't like watching themselves eating and all you end up seeing is the back of peoples heads . Too much visual clutter . Art would be better and more elegant .
September 18, 2013 at 8:06pm     
Caitlin Crosse
Try turning it horizontal and placing it at head/face height. No need to put anything either-side now. Although, you can place something underneath eg, buffet/hall table etc.
September 18, 2013 at 8:15pm   
I would add panels on end of window, why a mirror and Nit some bold art? You didn't say how big is mirror?
September 18, 2013 at 8:19pm   
It's a Beautiful World!
Hi Lauren, as others suggested, you do not have to use a mirror to open up the room, you can instead decorate your room with a piece of art you and your guests can enjoy. You can check out our page for art ideas. And here is an example of an art piece that can open up the room by adding depth to it... Raisa

September 18, 2013 at 8:31pm   
Debp
I do agree that art would be a better choice. I don't think the gray on gray would work. Love your light. Nice room.
September 18, 2013 at 8:34pm   
bumblebee728
The chandelier and gray color of the wall are both so pretty, I can see them being left alone, with just the gray as a backdrop to the chandelier. I don't think you need anything on that wall. But I think I see a framed out area on the left wall, where a nice piece of artwork could go to add some interest. Maybe a painting with some grays and an added color, one that could be repeated in a centerpiece on the table.
September 18, 2013 at 8:58pm   
I can understand why you would like a mirror on this wall to make the room feel larger,SO, I would make the whole wall mirrors;)

September 18, 2013 at 9:01pm     
bumblebee728
Love foxed mirrors, here's another photo of one of these beauties:
September 18, 2013 at 10:20pm     
bumblebee728
Just saw travisinteriors' comment about the window, and took another look. Sorry, on my phone it looked like a framed out area. I really have to get a new computer so I can see the outside edges of these photos, lol!
September 18, 2013 at 11:06pm   
typoagain
If you want to try the mirror, then by all means try the mirror!
It is only a couple of hundred bucks and it is (gasp) returnable! Try hanging it horizontally, vertically even diagonally if you want. Your just talking about a few nails holes after all.
I do not know about you, but I have never watched myself eat. And unless you always eat alone, you’re always watching someone else eat! To me that is much ado about nothing.
If you do hang the picture vertically you should consider a couple of pieces of artwork for each side. Maybe bring in a bit of color?
You also definitely need some type of corresponding window treatment on the other wall.
If you do choose to go with that particular mirror, I would also consider changing to a little bit lighter wall color. The wall with the window looks a bit lighter, maybe swapping the colors?
September 19, 2013 at 12:01am   
lauren1333
Thank you everyone so much for your suggestions!!! It really helped! I originally had this large painting on the wall but there was something off about it plus I have a lot of artwork around the house (http://www.emilysantangelo.com) so I wanted something different for this room. I love the large wall mirror or possibly hanging two of these side by side (thanks for those suggestions)...assuming i find another one.Thanks again everyone!!!
September 19, 2013 at 7:23am     
Judy M
Is it just me, or is there no dining table?

I would add an area rug and window treatments first and something seems off with the light , either diameter is too small or it's too high (or both).

If you don't want a buffet on the wall, I think a large piece of art.
September 19, 2013 at 7:31am   
Solomoon Art Studio
Hello! I realized that the problem with the paintings you do not, but it may be interesting to see :) https://www.solomoonart.com
September 19, 2013 at 7:33am   
Table is glass. So no mirror, or put a sunburst 24" on another wall. Go art with the grays, and a accent color. Big 40x40. If you already have mirror, try on another wall or room.
September 19, 2013 at 7:37am   
Add a rug round. 7-8 ft. Zebra. Room seems cold. Love the light.
September 19, 2013 at 7:38am   
Lemongrass Interiors
Love the idea of art...I'm not a huge fan of mirrors in a dining room. I always feel a little odd when I catch a glimpse of myself taking a bite. Lol
As an alternative to expensively framed paintings, maybe you could hang two or three vertical panels of a fabulous fabric stretched on frames or even wallpaper. Some pattern in the room could be nice
September 19, 2013 at 7:40am   
soozmacrae
Love this room. Im a fan of grey. I like the mirror you chose but it would have to go horizontal. Yhat way you would not have to put something up either side. As long as its hung not too low, or high, all it will reflect is the lovely light fitting.
September 19, 2013 at 7:49am   
lauren1333
We just moved in and are decorating little by little so the room seems pretty empty right now. There is very little separation between the living room and dining room (probably about 4 feet). I have an ivory and gray Moroccan trellis area rug in the living room so when i put a round rug in the dining room its too close and looked off. I have a large red/yellow painting in the living room above the couch so i was going to tie in the reds and a little yellow using accent pieces in the dining room - another reason why i moved the blue painting. Its hard to treat these as two separate rooms because they are too close together. I have floor to ceiling charcoal gray drapes being made (can you sense i like gray?). They are going to be wider than than the actual window in the dining room so it appears as if the window is larger. I'm going to forgo this mirror and think of something else (sigh). Thank you everyone
September 19, 2013 at 9:08am     
Genevieve
Good idea on the full mirror Margo !
a good reminder to look at ourselves while we are eating and thinking .... should I go for seconds ?
I can see myself already :)) I pass .
September 19, 2013 at 9:37am     
LOL- I figure that the dining room is hardly ever used, so why not make it pretty. I don't like to see myself in the bathroom either but there is a mirror;)
September 19, 2013 at 9:40am     
Genevieve
I have a small one there, I don't want to scare myself :))
I like the idea of the mirror in the dining room especially if the room is small ,
September 19, 2013 at 9:50am     
kcar66
Think you need something BIG & ROUND but on the simple side. What about 3 clocks set "A" symetrical??
September 19, 2013 at 10:06am   
Elizabeth Julian
I would have the entire wall fit with a mirror. Doubles the look of the space.
September 19, 2013 at 10:18am   
csevene
Took a minute to realize that yes, there is a table there!
I think you need to address the table as well ... it really seems to blend into the wall.
Nice room, LOVE the chandelier!!!
September 19, 2013 at 2:02pm   
Which wood floor should I choose?
We are painting our den paneling Bleeker Beige by Ben...
Help with colours for dining room table and console table!!
Hi! We need to buy a dining table set (to replace the...
Boxing in waste pipe
Here is my new en suite, all ready for sanitary ware...
Backsplash in Kitchen
I asked previously, and probably got lost in the zillions,...