Need some ideas on how we can change our roof line.....
Stacey Kim
Want to change the roof line to look more traditional colonial. I would want to add a porch, if possible. Inside the house is laid out like a traditional center hall colonial. Any ideas?
The Big Small
Hi Stacey. Wow. Pulling that off would entirely depend on your budget. And from one photo it's hard to tell what's happening above the 2nd storey. The home does have some colonial characteristics - the centered front door and five windows across the top floor with two on each side and one directly above the front door. Usually on a colonial you would see a simple gabled roof running the width of the home (the opposite of what you currently have). If money were no object and you were absolutely intent on getting a more traditional colonial look you'd need to change the roof plane at the front of the home to a simple gable with the roof sloping towards the street and gable ends side to side. Symmetry is the big thing with colonial, so lining up the 2nd story windows with the 1st would help. Splitting the 1st floor windows into two on each side would also be more traditional. And while not all colonials are shuttered, in this case I think shutters will help suggest colonial. Front bump out would get roof treatment with simple gable...with gable end facing street. Stonework would be removed and replaced with siding. You can leave the front door framed out to the current size, but I would suggest changing it out to a single door with sidelights on each side. Again, more traditional.

Cheaper option: leave the current shed style roof line and front bump out as is. Reframe for new windows on 2nd floor that will allow for shutters. Reframe for matching sets of two windows on each side on 1st floor that line up with 2nd floor windows. Install shutters on all windows. Paint out stonework (I can hear people calling blasphemy now) to match siding exactly. Replace double front door with a single door with sidelights. Colonial"esque". Best of luck with it!
2 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 1:06AM
Stacey Kim
Thank you so much for your input! Do you think i can somehow replicate roof line like below without having to change the gable? I'm just not too crazy about the split roof top but the house has ALL the amenities we were looking for so we decided to purchase. I just can't seem to forego the split roof top. With much needed front landscaping, it may look better but i just think the front of the house is just too plain.... the color scheme doesn't do any justice either...

Traditional Exterior by Minneapolis General Contractors Stonewood, LLC
   September 19, 2013 at 6:22AM
Lemongrass Interiors
I agree with the comments above about bridging the gap and creating a simple garble end roof, but what is the function of the 3rd? story windows that are set back above the front door area? That would determine what can happen with the roofline over the entrance...
1 Like   Thanked by Stacey Kim    September 19, 2013 at 6:58AM
Stacey Kim
It is the bedroom windows for the bedroom in the middle. Would love to hear your ideas!
   September 19, 2013 at 7:45AM
I find the stone entry facade to be a huge contradiction to the style of the home. I'd forget about going traditional, remove that facade and play up all the modern lines of your home. If you don't like it then, put it on the market and buy your desired colonial home..
   September 19, 2013 at 7:56AM
Stacey Kim
Lemongrass Interiors: It is the bedroom windows for the bedroom in the middle upstairs. Would love to hear your ideas!
   September 19, 2013 at 8:02AM
soberg
There is a lot you can do, with an architect and structural engineer. What is your budget? I can't see really making any worthwhile improvement for less than $50,000. And it may be a lot more. How much are you willing to spend for the look of your facade?
   September 19, 2013 at 8:09AM
anitanazar
I love your home! I would stucco the siding and paint to complement
the beautiful stone work on the front. My home is similar in design, but more contemporary. I am looking to add a portico to the front. Check out my current discussion on Houzz...
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/653545/Front-entry-renovation-and-portico-add-on
1 Like   September 19, 2013 at 8:14AM
Lemongrass Interiors
Gotcha...and you definitely don't want to lose those. Without really knowing the floor plan (or your budget) I'd think you could expand that room out to match the front wall of the house and bridge the gap between the split gables to create one simple roof line. It would create a larger bedroom with a pretty spacious dormer. I'm assuming by doing this, the level of the floor would be continuous...otherwise you'd be creating a step up effect that could be a feature or could be a problem.

Then for the entry, the shed roof isn't necessarily a problem, it just needs to extend farther out, creating the porch you desire. I'm from north Florida and we see mixed roof lines quite frequently, especially with the new interpretations of the "Old Florida" vernacular. (See developments such as WindMark Beach, Watercolor and Seaside).
I would lose the stone, however.
   September 19, 2013 at 8:44AM
The Big Small
Hi Stacey - I'm not seeing the image you are referring to. Without seeing the image I can say that almost anything is possible with enough money, but without any guarantee that you'll get the investment back out when you go to sell the home. I think your house has potential if somebody can point it in a unified design direction. Right now it is a mish-mash of architectural styles from different eras, making the exterior feel confused. My best advice: pick a design style and, within your budget and realistic expectations for final value at resale, stick with that design style for all elements of the exterior. I think it would be worth consulting with an architect or residential designer in your area to create a unified vision for the exterior.
   September 19, 2013 at 10:05AM
Stacey Kim
The Big Small - Don't want to go too crazy but I'm thinking of extending the middle stone work higher and create another two separate triangle points using the side gable. our budget is $100k including landscaping... do you think this is doable?
   September 19, 2013 at 2:07PM
Stacey Kim
Just want to see some symmetry!
   September 19, 2013 at 2:09PM
The Big Small
Hi Stacey, Honestly, if it were me I would give up on shooting for a colonial look and work with the modern structural elements already in place. The changes you are suggesting are incredibly expensive and will involve a major reconstruction. Unlikely you will accomplish want you want within your budget. Instead I would consider an exterior project driven at bringing your home a more cohesive and welcoming look. Your money will go much farther if you are only dealing with changing window openings and siding than if you are ripping your entire roof structure off.

Given that you were leaning towards Colonial I suspect an entirely (more European) modern might be TOO modern for you, so I would suggest a siding design scheme with a combination of board and batten siding and horizontal siding. Clean, symmetrical, but it adds a certain warmth and friendliness to the exterior.

Also the trim detailing seen in board and batten style (belly bands, dividing one surface into an area of horizontal and another into battens) will really help to break up the very tall face of your house, which is currently covered in a boring sea of only one type of siding.

Something like the photos below). Under this plan, I would suggest using a cement board product for the siding like CertainTeed or Hardie, so that maintenance down the road will be minimal. Again, I think the stone needs to either go and be replaced by siding, or at the very least, be painted out the exact some color as the house.

[houzz=Figure 8 Island House]

[houzz=Cottage Addition - Exterior]
2 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 6:00PM
With a gembrel roof, we can't decide on the roof line for our addition
Building a 12'/18' fully heated/cooled sun room facing...
Total Remodel would like ideas how we could change our kitchen around
Would like to add room for a table or a Island to eat...
Need some ideas to make this stone we put on our house to stand out.
We recently put sienna dry stack stone on the house...
We have a big rock with our name on it we need ideas how to landscape
we need ideas how to landscape around this rock with...
Trying to update my '60s tri-plex. Any Exterior Ideas??
Hi, what would you do with the exterior of this dated...
Dated Living room
Do I paint my dark wainscoting? FYI it's real wood....
Need help finishing up!
So I have a lot of my main pieces pick and in place...
New Sofas but no idea how to design a stylish living room
Hi, we just moved from Tokyo to NY. Now we have...
Bright orange area rug
I purchased this rug for my casual living room. It...