Need help choosing exterior paint colors
pennync
We are having the exterior trim and shutters painted on our 1980's one-story brick ranch. Currently, the trim is BJM Navajo white, shutters are BJM Hale's Navy. We have installed interior shutters in BJM Decorator's White. We live off the road a bit, so it isn't terribly noticeable, but the two whites don't work too well together. The brick has a burned pinkish/orange tone, with some dark brown or blackish tones in there as well. The roof is black. I would like to paint the house trim white with black shutters and a black front door. I DON'T care for glaring whites, or blacks on a brick house, however, and am afraid the decorator's white may be just that as our exterior trim. I will say that the Navajo White works well with our grout color. Would appreciate any ideas about keeping the Navajo White against the interior shutters . . . or ideas about possible white shades to go better with the interior shutters. Also would appreciate any ideas for the black exterior shutters. Currently I am considering BJM Black. We are also replacing the garage door. Do we go with white (as well as the gutters) or do we paint the garage door the same color as the trim (if not white)?
Lemongrass Interiors
Have you considered painting the brick?
September 19, 2013 at 6:12AM   
pennync
Painted brick is lovely, but at this stage in our family life, low maintenance is priority.
September 19, 2013 at 7:40AM   
I think black exterior shutters will look great, but you'll get even more impact from removal of the clumpy overgrown shrubs and a new bit of landscaping. Consider beefing up the columns/posts on the porch when budget allows. Without a closer view of the house, I can't say much more, but gutter downspouts usually look best if they blend into the house body color rather than stand out against it.
September 19, 2013 at 7:50AM        Thanked by pennync
Medium gray tones work with red bricks.
September 19, 2013 at 7:52AM      Thanked by pennync
Lemongrass Interiors
I can understand that :) I like the idea of the black shutters, but what about going with something a little darker for the trim and garage door. This will be a more current look (but not too trendy) and will contrast enough with the decorator white interior shutters so it all looks intentional.
It's hard to see the exact tone of the brick, so painting sample boards and holding them up to your brick on site will be safest. Try these: Ben Moore Cedar Key (OC16); Sag Harbor Gray (HC-95) or Revere Pewter (HC-172).
And then for the black, maybe something a little softer than straight black... Try BM Gray (2121-10) it's a warm charcoal color that would work well with your neutrals or Wrought Iron (2124-10) that's is much deeper, almost black...
September 19, 2013 at 7:56AM      Thanked by pennync
kcar66
Yes I agree, trim the bushes down a little & I'd stay with the navajo white--easy to work & generally less expensive with if you are needing new garage door or ever windows & such. I like the idea of black because your roof appears a dk gray. I think the best addition would be to maybe add railings or some patio furniture on the porch. If you are really wanting something different, maybe try a light to med. gray instead of white.
September 19, 2013 at 8:00AM      Thanked by pennync
Lemongrass Interiors
Pennync - it's funny how things happen sometimes... So I'm out in Brookhaven MS on business (adorable town!) and I went for a walk and saw this house. Pretty much the color scheme I was thinking for your house - good luck!
September 19, 2013 at 8:31AM   
pennync
Thanks. I was just looking at the colors you suggested on the Ben Moore website (very nice). It helps to see the colors in place.
September 19, 2013 at 8:51AM   
Maguire
Nice looking home. I agree with deco about landscaping, but if you don't want to remove then let at least some of the bushes go, don't prune them into balls. I love the wood over your garage and the bay window pop out. They're great architectural details so maybe the one bush in front of the bay should go. You may want to update your coach lights to match, going with a bigger bronze.
I love your red door, but you want a change and the black will be a good one. You're on the right track with the off white colors. A great home, love the huge yard and trees. Trans Globe 45641 WB Coach Lantern - Weather Bronze - 8W in.
Updated Coach Lantern Outdoor Light - 1 Light
September 19, 2013 at 9:16AM   
pennync
Thanks, and yes, the bushes need to go . . . we hope to re-do the landscape in the future. I like the coach lanterns you're suggesting.
September 19, 2013 at 9:35AM     
Maguire
Will you post a work in progress or after picture for us? We live for those, even if it takes you a couple of years.
September 19, 2013 at 2:21PM     
Help! Need help choosing a new exterior paint color
We will be repainting our house. I do not like the...
Need help choosing exterior paint color for house. PLEASE HELP
The painter's are coming in two weeks! I need help...
Need Help Choosing Exterior Paint Color(s)
We're in the process of getting our exterior painted...
Need help choosing exterior paint color!
Hello. Looking to paint our 1940's home. Thinking...
I need some help choosing an exterior paint color!
We bought a cute little log cabin on the lake that...
Help us find this tile!
Our local tile store is out of stock and has a 3-4...
Help me finish decorating my dining room!!
I have already purchased table and 2 chairs along with...
Looking for advice Wall Color and Front Desk Color
I was thinking of going white gray with the walls....
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Help with curb appeal
Just bought new home a few months ago. I dug out some...