Need some design ideas - new homeowners!
klichaj
My boyfriend just bought his first house and we need some help on the design front! I've attached a few pictures to get an idea of what the house looks like for reference.

The bedroom furniture (minus crib and couch) are staying, but the carpet is going to be replaced. Any ideas for carpet color, paint, wall decor..anything??

The kitchen appliances are staying, we will have a new kitchen table with light wood and black iron legs. We were thinking about staining the cabinets to a darker tone and were wondering if anyone had any experiences with products to share. Again, paint colors would be helpful as well.

The living room will have a tan suede couch, but we definitely need some ideas for curtain colors, wall color, carpet ideas etc.
Help!
hi...I think you'd get a better response if you asked for help with one room at a time. I think the cabinets look pretty good. I'd first invest in some new lighting, curtains, paint, area rugs, art, accessories before tackling the kitchen.
September 19, 2013 at 6:47PM     
7ujm
I can't tell what color your counters are but they look black. If you are keeping the counter tops I would go with a higher contrast like a creamy white with brushed nickle hardware on your cabinets. Then I would try and find some beautiful glass subway tile for a backsplash that pops. As you start to make changes ideas will begin to flow. Good luck and congrats on the new home.
September 19, 2013 at 8:04PM   
klichaj
The counter tops are black and granite and the kitchen is sort of large, the table shown is placed in the outcove of the kitchen...The walls right now are painted an off white/cream color.
September 20, 2013 at 5:41AM   
Genevieve
Yes I agree with Darzy ,one room at the time so I will begin with the kitchen, let me see what I can come up with

for the walls this colour will look good with the couter top and cupboards

SW6424 Tansy Green
Cherry Tea Towels, 20"x30"
KitchenAid 5-Quart Tilt-Head Artisan Series Stand Mixer, Empire Red

Eglo 90295A Bibro Matte Nickel Pendant

Before I go on let me know how am I doing so far :)
September 20, 2013 at 5:51AM   
Rina
Agreed, let's stick to the kitchen for now and save ourselves a great deal of confusion. I like the colours Genevieve posted, but I see in your ideabook that two or three of the kitchens you like have light gold walls. That could work here too, but my first question is how does the kitchen lead into the dining room and/or living room? Would gold walls, for instance, mean that you're committed to gold walls there too? Or green, or whatever? Could you post a picture showing how open (or not) it is to the next room?

Second question, where will the kitchen table go? Will it replace black-topped island?
September 20, 2013 at 6:03AM   
Genevieve
Hi Rina:)
I never thought of looking at the idea book ,good thinking .
September 20, 2013 at 6:10AM   
Genevieve
Okay ! looking at the gold ideas I probably would look for a Tuscan themed kitchen then ,what do you think?

K & M Designs

Honeymoon AF-345 Paint

Nope ! this colour doesn't look good with the cabinets ,if you were to paint them espresso then I would say yes ,otherwise stay away from yellows.you could go rust instead.

or

SW0033 Rembrandt Ruby by Sherwin-Williams
September 20, 2013 at 6:12AM   
klichaj
These ideas sound great! If you look at the picture of the table that's shown, thats in an extension of the kitchen itself so it's all really only one large room. There is a half wall that leads into the living room that's shown also which ends right before the end of the couch. So yes - any color choice in the kitchen would have to extend to the 'dining area' as well. It would also have to work in the same color family I think as anything that goes into the living room

My boyfriend really liked the idea of a light yellow paint which was why i chose all of those in my idea book, but if you can see the cabinets are a really light wood and so is the floor and I'm afriad that it will all blend with pale yellow walls, but again I'm not really sure.

We've also considered sanding and redoing the cabinets to a much darker shade but we're not sure how well that works out? We're open to any suggestions!
September 20, 2013 at 6:20AM   
Genevieve
Great info :) how is this for colour ,its warm and welcoming and we can incorporate some yellows with it to make it a place in the sun :)
Kathia's Home
Rookwood Terra Cotta SW2803 Paint
Amish Custom Kitchens - Traditional
September 20, 2013 at 6:24AM     
klichaj
Thanks Genevieve!! I really like that color and it's one we've definitely never thought of but i think it would look great with the light colord floors and the light cabinets, as well as if we decide to stain them darker.
September 20, 2013 at 6:48AM   
Genevieve
Fantastic then!
because I have just found and idea that you will probably like for the living room and that is to carry some orange in a yellow painted living room ,if you use these ideas everything will fall into place and your boyfriend will be happy with your choices ,

September 20, 2013 at 6:52AM        Thanked by klichaj
klichaj
I thing these are both great colors, i love these ideas. I can't thank you enough!

I posted another page about the master bedroom, in case you're interested. We we're thinking of a steel blue color for this but still not sure about how it would even look with the furniture. Here's the link for this one in case you're interested
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/657370/Master-Bedroom-Redesign-Help
September 20, 2013 at 6:57AM   
Rina
Hi again. I've been painting terracotta in the kitchen while you've been busy. I like it, and think it could extend beautifully into a warm, inviting dining room. I was also thinking of teracotta/orange highlights in the living room, but I'm hoping there are convenient places to stop the terracotta wall and pick up on the living room colour. Klichaj, could you draw and scan a rough floor plan showing how the walls and spaces flow into each other?

Going to look briefly at your other thread now. Be back later if (my) evening doesn't get too busy.
September 20, 2013 at 7:31AM   
Rina
Irritating. The pic didn't attach. Probably irritating me forgetting to make it a jpg. Yup. Here it is.
September 20, 2013 at 7:32AM     
klichaj
I can try to draw up a quick sketch but i should note im not a fantastic artist. I might even be able to find the floor plan online so give me a few seconds to look one up..
Since we haven't moved in to the house just yet, the pictures are limited so hopefully i can help.

Again thanks for all the ideas this is really great!
September 20, 2013 at 7:40AM     
Genevieve
Please post the picture when you are done:)
September 20, 2013 at 8:21AM   
klichaj
hopefully this works!
September 20, 2013 at 8:47AM     
Genevieve
Let the painting begin!!!
September 20, 2013 at 9:08AM   
Rina
Excellent. You're a star. Here are the colour lines, grey means you can either continue the yellow or even if you're brave choose something else. Me, I'd continue the yellow. Super duper.
September 20, 2013 at 9:32AM     
Rina
Genevieve, I'd give you a high five if I could.
September 20, 2013 at 9:34AM     
Genevieve
Good work Rina,I think that we got it :)
September 20, 2013 at 9:35AM   
Genevieve
Thank you very much Rina ,this was super fun and now I feel like decorating, it must be catchy :))
September 20, 2013 at 9:37AM   
klichaj
You guys are the best! Thank you so much !!
September 20, 2013 at 9:44AM     
Genevieve
If I can speak for all of us ,It was our pleasure, you are very welcome ,.
September 20, 2013 at 9:49AM      Thanked by klichaj
Rina
It's been such a pleasure. Mainly Genevieve's creativity, I think, but I'm going to put it on my resume anyway. Which will confuse people because I don't do anything like this for a living. And let's not forget your getting it so beautifully about what we needed. It's rare that a little whirlpool like this just absolutely gets it, so quickly. Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles. Be happy.
September 20, 2013 at 9:52AM        Thanked by klichaj
Genevieve
Go to before and after to post them .
September 20, 2013 at 11:06AM   
klichaj
Anybody have any ideas for a backsplash?? Smaller tiles I would assume since the area is so small...and we are thinking the paint will be a washed out red color as shown below. I can't seem to find anything that I love when looking around...
Also - Has anyone tried to use those stick on ones? Any reviews??
September 23, 2013 at 8:18AM   
Basement idea
Need ideas for space, tight budget. Drop ceiling going...
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...
Any ideas for this wall?
I want a clean modern look, so not too much clutter...but...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...