TV size
dasha81
Hubby wants this TV to stay (new, 55"). I think we need 60". Could I do something on the sides to fill that empty space?
Or do we need a larger tv?
abbyjean
Would you consider taping off the space that the larger tv would occupy and then put this in front of that tape to see if it would make a huge difference?
September 19, 2013 at 6:14pm     
dasha81
I would only consider it. ;)
September 19, 2013 at 6:17pm   
abbyjean
Oh, ok.
September 19, 2013 at 6:18pm     
dasha81
I'm kidding, that's a great idea. I wish I had both TV's in order to compare
September 19, 2013 at 6:19pm   
rwright9474
Lol. I think this is the first time I've seen a wife wanting a larger tv than the husband wants! :)
September 19, 2013 at 6:20pm     
abbyjean
I know.......what a pain to measure and tape, but I cannot picture what the larger one would look like and hate to say and have it be wrong!
September 19, 2013 at 6:22pm     
Veronica Lawrence Interior Design
Considering the height of the TV - you are going to have to push back the seating to view in comfort. I would agree the larger size would be good. If you're adding accents to the mantle with the current TV make sure the are not obscuring the TV from view. But taller size accents are better than small. You could also add some large scale pieces to the hearth area - nice large pot with a plant or a group of 3 varying sized pots. Like the wall color against your mantle.
September 19, 2013 at 6:24pm     
This area could handle 60 inches actually. But the TV would be a bit high for comfortable viewing angle.
September 19, 2013 at 6:25pm     
pegonia1
I was going to say the same thing rwright474 said - he/she beat me to it. Unheard of!!!!!! LOL.
September 19, 2013 at 6:26pm     
Barbara Krai Interior Design
If you must put it there, add a panel and moulding above the mantel to coordinate with the rest of your beautiful woodwork so that the TV takes on a built in look and is anchored rather than just floating. You won't need to decorate the sides of it because it will have the panelling around it. I don't know if you'll love watching TV up that high, but I know you will love the coordinated built- in look!
September 19, 2013 at 6:39pm     
rwright9474
Hi pegonia1! Great minds! (And I'm a "she".) :)
September 19, 2013 at 7:19pm   
Jolene
60". They are only getting bigger. Would still leave you room for that center channel thing or sound bar (for surround sound).
September 19, 2013 at 9:05pm   
Susan Ives Mitchener
My concern here is that the whole arrangement - TV\mantel\fireplace look balanced. If you go with the BIG TV you should balance it with something weighty on the hearth to ground it so it doesn't appear top heavy. I've been mulling over this same dilemma and think I'm going for a TV that is about the same size as the FRPL opening (firebox). I also >searched< for TV viewing distances vs size, and looked at mounting brackets that tip down because the height seemed like a pain in neck waiting to happen.
September 20, 2013 at 2:46am     
Closet Experts
If the mantle/wood surround were removed, I would be fine with this TV. The firebox looks too small with the tile surround and the mantle. Especially with how tall the horizontal part of the mantle is. Then a sound bar could be mounted below the TV and the TV would not have to be too high. A 60" will exaggerate the issue.
September 20, 2013 at 4:19am     
Rina
If you keep this one, keep the items on each side simple. I agree with the feeling that there's a bit of imbalance between the big screen and the fireplace itself, but I think if you could darken the surround it would make quite a bit of difference.
September 20, 2013 at 4:47am     
Rina
PS I think you should paint the wall plugs in the same colour as the wall.
September 20, 2013 at 4:50am     
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
You realize, of course, that by considering a 60" (diagonal measurement) you're only gaining between 2-3 inches in actual width... you'd still have "spaces" on the ends...

Go IMAX.
September 20, 2013 at 5:10am     
Theresa Holt
On Rina's Idea...I get the clear ones and paint white artist paper to put behind. Makes cleaning a little easier. Just be careful painting the socket part.
September 20, 2013 at 5:45am     
pattiegoode
I've shared this photo so many times, but I think it's just good design for a TV over a FP:

September 20, 2013 at 6:47am     
Closet Experts
Pattiegoode, keep sharing that picture. I think the proportions are much better. My quibble would be how the sound is addressed. I do not see left/center/right speakers or a sound bar. Without the audio addressed you are only getting half of the audio/video experience. Flat screens notoriously have terrible sound themselves.
September 20, 2013 at 11:07am     
Closet Experts
Pattiegoode's shared photo would work well if the speakers were incorporated in the woodwork on the sides and below the TV.
September 20, 2013 at 11:10am     
Sustainable Dwellings
I think you need a 70"... go big, or go home. hahaha.
September 20, 2013 at 11:10am     
Go as big as you can you have the room. Believe me you won't regret it. Go 70" TVs are the only thing getting bigger today. I can't believe hubby doesn't want a bigger TV.
September 20, 2013 at 11:12am   
Rest TV on mantel. Don't hang.
September 20, 2013 at 11:13am     
I'm sorry but that does not look like a 50" so if 50" looks small go much bigger cover whole area. No moulding, just TV.
September 20, 2013 at 11:15am   
Pattigood great idea.
September 20, 2013 at 11:16am     
Coastal Home Design Studio
Go 70 and don't confuse your viewing space with distracting colorful art. Have fun.
September 20, 2013 at 11:29am     
ahelton142
Have you considered framing the tv? I've seen that done . It's pretty cool!!!! If not you definitely need tall accents
September 20, 2013 at 1:21pm   
dasha81
Holy smokes, 70"?? That might be a bit much. Lol
September 20, 2013 at 4:56pm   
dasha81
I still want a family room, not a theater. :)
September 20, 2013 at 4:57pm   
Closet Experts
Then get left and right speakers about the width of the tile below and put on either side of TV. Get center channel to rest on mantel and mount TV just above center channel. Then frame to complement below.
September 20, 2013 at 5:05pm   
dasha81
This actually seems like the right size if i do something on the left/right to balance. Going up too high would be uncomfortable for viewing.

Thoughts?
September 20, 2013 at 5:39pm     
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
The TV size is good. Putting something else on the mantel on either side gives you something to look at even if the TV is off, which is a good thing. You can have a pair of candlesticks on one side, one candle higher than the other, and a vase or something sculptural on the other side. I would say trust your instincts and experiment. Good luck!
September 23, 2013 at 10:06pm   
sailorleigh
Bigger would be better but it would be best viewed on a swivel mount so it changes the Viewing angle down. You could also build a surround around the TV to hide the wall mount, fill in the space and add a bit more visual weight to the area. Once you finish decorating it will be fine and you won't be so focused on that one point on the wall. Fill in with wall art etc.
September 23, 2013 at 10:27pm     
caseymck90
This is what we did to ours...I think it's a 50".
September 23, 2013 at 11:29pm     
TVCoverUps
Another option to consider is TVCoverUps. Framed art(including your own) or mirror adds to the room's decor and hidden beneath is the TV and Entertainment Consoles.
Available in Automated & Manual Lift and allows for TV tilting hardware.
See how EASY it really can be:
November 26, 2013 at 1:51pm     
dianahb
Well, this whole idea just saddens me. So so so many options-- what you could do above that lovely fireplace mantel, and with the fireplace surround. Slapping a flat-screen TV up there would not even be on my list-- any list for that matter. Honestly-- I don't know why people do it. I can't fathom it. But if you're gonna do this-- why go half-way? Just go big-- and get the biggest TV they make (90"?). Or just eliminate the fireplace altogether, and make the entire wall a TV screen. But before I would do that, I would remove some shelving from the left cabinetry, and fit it in there. So much less obtrusive than what would essentially appear as a big black rectangular hole above the fireplace.
November 26, 2013 at 2:09pm     
indianpatti
Hmmm, I've always heard bigger was better! LOL

Here's an informative article on selecting the appropriate size TV for your room: http://www.ehow.com/how_5848101_calculate-lcd-tv-size-needed.html
November 26, 2013 at 4:42pm     
Judiwithani
Wow, usually it's the husband who wants the big TV. But I do think a larger one would fill the space better. I have our TV over the fireplace, and I'm fine with it. We're sorta laid back, anyway.
Does make it difficult to decorate a mantel though. Here's a tip for getting the wires out of the way. Run the wires through wall at back of TV, and bring to inside of lower bookcase. You can add an outlet inside the case and plug in.
November 26, 2013 at 4:54pm   
maggielou362
Hi, as an Aussie, we don't use fireplaces much, but if i had a lovely one like the ones i see in Houzz I would just want to sit and be mesmerized by the flames. Excuse my ignorance, but why do so many Americans put their television above a fireplace? Seems to me a bad idea: too hot for the electronics, too high for comfortable viewing, and an UGLY detraction to some beautiful fireplaces. Just my opinion!
November 26, 2013 at 4:54pm     
dianahb
Completely agree maggielou362.

I see that the original post was back in September, so this is a done deal by now, but still . . . too bad.
November 26, 2013 at 5:03pm     
TVCoverUps
dianahb & maggielou362- that is exactly the beauty of TVCoverUps. Instead of that "big, black hole in the wall" when the TV is off, why not have a piece of art or mirror that would add to the room's decor! When your TV is on, the black linen backdrop absorbs the ambient & ceiling light and creates a "theater experience". And with a 3D TV, it actually strengthens the contrast of the programing.

With the press of a button it lifts to reveal the hidden TV & Entertainment consoles(wires, blu-ray/dvd, cable box, speakers, etc.). TVCoverUps also allows for TV tilting hardware, and with a mount such as the "down and out" mount- you can lower the TV to the perfect viewing height :)
November 26, 2013 at 5:28pm     
boneyard51
Not sure if this helps but we balanced our wall with mirrors and sconces. TV is mounted and rotates and tilts for great viewing!
Little discouraged by some of the comments on this thread regarding views of TV's over fireplace. If it fits your style and comfort then enjoy. Houzz is great for ideas and suggestions, but leave the negativity to yourselves. Enjoy your room!
November 26, 2013 at 8:07pm     
Susan Witman Interior Design
Often I build custom frames around a wall mounted TV.
It could be a decorative frame with 1/2 inch allowance around the TV for maneuvering.
The inside area is painted dark so it is in shadow. Depending on the design, often this is more attractive than just a wall mounted TV.
November 26, 2013 at 8:10pm   
maggielou362
Hi boneyard51, agreed, enjoy your home as you like it. No offence intended. I have never seen a television above a fireplace in "real life" and was wondering about the effects of the heat generated from the fire, and the height of the screen, as it would be too high for me. Your living room, complete with fireplace and television, looks lovely.
November 26, 2013 at 8:37pm     
dianahb
Actually, the only televisions I have ever seen placed above fireplaces are on Houzz. I have never seen one placed like that in 'real life,' either. I rather like TVcoverups' clever options.
November 26, 2013 at 8:41pm     
happyasaclam
Do you have pictures to post of the finished install, dasha?
November 26, 2013 at 8:52pm     
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Are you a big fan of glamping or camping?
I'm not a camping fan at all. I can't stand not knowing...
What Colour Bar Stools?
I am trying to lighten up my kitchen with some easy...
Need help color matching manufactured furniture
We are trying to color match a Pottery Barn Kids "Kendall"...
What to do With the Wood Panel Doors and Trim?
My husband and I bought our first house last year,...