I need advice on pairing glass mosaic backsplash with granite counters

thegSeptember 20, 2013
For my renovated kitchen I have chosen a granite that has "movement in it" and multiple colors. I love the glow and pizzaz of glass mosaics for the back splash. How do I pair the two? I enjoy color and liveliness but don't want "in your face" drama. I want to live with this longterm but enjoy my love of color and design.
lcross2013
Does any one have an answer to the question above, since I have the same question.
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 1:15PM
McBerg
I have a similar question, except that we are planning quartz countertops so they will have less 'movement'. But we want to do a glass mosaic backsplash but not make it so 'personal' that when we come to sell the house in a year or so, buyers are turned off.
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 1:21PM
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Glass mosaics are so very pretty but can be overwhelming with a countertop with a big motion look..so how do you get both. Use the mosaic as a simple accent band and the field tile around it clean and uniform. Then in reverse for that quartz. Here are a couple of photos for inspiration.
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 2:14PM
My advice is don't pair them. Either choose a busy granite or a busy backsplash, but not both. Alternately, use a glass mosaic backsplash with different sized tiles, but all the same color (or variations on a shade so it gives a uniform effect). Otherwise a high contrast mosaic will just look chaotic paired with busy granite.
Jennifer Brouwer Design Inc · More Info

Style de Vie Design · More Info

Woodinville Retreat · More Info

Ontare Residence · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 2:29PM
0825sam
I agree with feeny but if you have your heart set on a multicolored mosaic I would consider framing it out as a feature above the range only
Salem Tudor Remodel · More Info
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 3:15PM
theg
Thank you to everyone for their ideas. I have noticed in my research that using glass bricks in a herringbone pattern adds additional interest. And in following the idea of DIRECTBUY I have found the seemingly exact focus color in my floor and the granite in a tiny glass mosaic in 12" squares. I have played with the idea of incorporating that in a pattern with the glass bricks, they have a two tone almost the same color with a beveled edge design. I am so attracted to the light these glass tiles give off for my north facing, medium windowed kitchen as well as the design and color. sam0705 I am inspired to play with your idea as well but with a less than dramatic effect. The position of the range makes this a "mainly for me" design. Although I love color and want my kitchen modern I am also traditional in style and cautious about impact.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 3:32PM
McBerg
How about with a plain ish white quartz countertop? Mosaic ok? Thanks!
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 3:57PM
0825sam
Mcberg - with a plain quartz you have tons of options. I am sure you would be fine with a mosaic just make sure the tones are complementary.

OP - love the herringbone idea
1 Like    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 4:00PM
I need some advice on a backsplash
Is the one I picked too busy with the counter top....
sheilalong
Need help finding a backsplash for our Crema Bordeaux granite countertop
We are in the process of re-doing our kitchen with...
paquita31547
Need help on grout choice for glass mosaic tile kitchen backsplash
I'm down to the 11th hour in trying to decide on the...
stevenlh123
Should i put 6 in granite back splash and glass mosaic?
I am currently remodelling my kitchen and in dilemma...
renzgie
Backsplash - large glass tiles, back painted or colored glass or paint?
I want to add color such as the pool color in the backsplash...
aquatime
Free standing tub - size
Hello, we are at the process of shopping for a free...
shirisaltzman
carpet
Hi! I am painting a small room all in benjamin moores...
chrissytk
drawer pulls for LARGE drawers
Hello Houzzers - New kitchen cabinets arrive next week...
4wls
Planting Ranunculas...a lot of them
I live in zone 6. I absolutely fell in love with Ranunculus....
taylorofthevalley