I need advice on pairing glass mosaic backsplash with granite counters

thegSeptember 20, 2013
For my renovated kitchen I have chosen a granite that has "movement in it" and multiple colors. I love the glow and pizzaz of glass mosaics for the back splash. How do I pair the two? I enjoy color and liveliness but don't want "in your face" drama. I want to live with this longterm but enjoy my love of color and design.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lcross2013
Does any one have an answer to the question above, since I have the same question.
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 1:15PM
McBerg
I have a similar question, except that we are planning quartz countertops so they will have less 'movement'. But we want to do a glass mosaic backsplash but not make it so 'personal' that when we come to sell the house in a year or so, buyers are turned off.
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 1:21PM
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Glass mosaics are so very pretty but can be overwhelming with a countertop with a big motion look..so how do you get both. Use the mosaic as a simple accent band and the field tile around it clean and uniform. Then in reverse for that quartz. Here are a couple of photos for inspiration.
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 2:14PM
feeny
My advice is don't pair them. Either choose a busy granite or a busy backsplash, but not both. Alternately, use a glass mosaic backsplash with different sized tiles, but all the same color (or variations on a shade so it gives a uniform effect). Otherwise a high contrast mosaic will just look chaotic paired with busy granite.
Jennifer Brouwer Design Inc · More Info

Style de Vie Design · More Info

Woodinville Retreat · More Info

Ontare Residence · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 2:29PM
0825sam
I agree with feeny but if you have your heart set on a multicolored mosaic I would consider framing it out as a feature above the range only
Salem Tudor Remodel · More Info
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 3:15PM
theg
Thank you to everyone for their ideas. I have noticed in my research that using glass bricks in a herringbone pattern adds additional interest. And in following the idea of DIRECTBUY I have found the seemingly exact focus color in my floor and the granite in a tiny glass mosaic in 12" squares. I have played with the idea of incorporating that in a pattern with the glass bricks, they have a two tone almost the same color with a beveled edge design. I am so attracted to the light these glass tiles give off for my north facing, medium windowed kitchen as well as the design and color. sam0705 I am inspired to play with your idea as well but with a less than dramatic effect. The position of the range makes this a "mainly for me" design. Although I love color and want my kitchen modern I am also traditional in style and cautious about impact.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 3:32PM
McBerg
How about with a plain ish white quartz countertop? Mosaic ok? Thanks!
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 3:57PM
0825sam
Mcberg - with a plain quartz you have tons of options. I am sure you would be fine with a mosaic just make sure the tones are complementary.

OP - love the herringbone idea
1 Like    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 4:00PM