Complete fixer upper
Heather
September 20, 2013
We are buying this 1950's fixer in the country. We can't spend a lot on the decorating as there are other issues that need to be tended to first. Any DIY ideas would be so appreciated!!
rosecottagehome
Your kitchen cupboards look like they are in good shape. I would definitely update the kitchen with a new light over the table and you may want to put the money into new flooring in the kitchen and extend it through your living room/family room with the fireplace. Possibly replace the wooden window valance with Roman shades or natural blinds. It's in pretty good shape for a "Fixer".
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Heather    September 20, 2013 at 4:05PM
0825sam
Remove wavy valances over windows, lighting, consider painting paneling, brushed nickel cabinet hardware.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Heather    September 20, 2013 at 4:07PM
purehome
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Heather    September 20, 2013 at 4:08PM
Heather
Pure Home: Wow! I love the one on painting tile! The bathroom has tile and wallpaper, so that will definitely help when we tackle that room :-)
    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 4:12PM
Tend to the important issues first…in the meantime, paint everything you can’t stand white…walls in a matte and everything else in a semi-gloss. Paint is a miracle.

2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Heather    September 20, 2013 at 4:14PM
Cat Rowe
Sorry, but somehow my comment ended up in your idea book for this one.
    Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 8:01PM
Angel18432
They look like nice cupboards. Take down the wooden valances over the windows, along with all that "stuff" above the cupboards - makes your kitchen look junky. Paint the wood paneling white. Paint the ceiling fixture white until you get a new one.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Heather    September 21, 2013 at 8:09PM
Heather
Thank you! I was definitely thinking of taking down the wooden valances. (The items in there are actually the prior owner's.)
    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 3:51PM
brickln
The only thing I would do is paint the paneling a nice Colonial blue, and buy one of those old dark maple kitchen tables with the captain's chairs to go under that wicked light fixture! Leave it in a time warp and focus on more important things. Once you start tinkering- 1K here, 2K there- it becomes too livable and a sin to rip out what you just put in. Leave it be and do the whole thing when the time's right and you've had a chance to really plan out the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Heather    September 22, 2013 at 4:22PM
brickln
PS- if the paneling is real, give it a good clear coat to protect it before you paint it. You may want to restore and re-use it somewhere else.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Heather    September 22, 2013 at 4:26PM
Paint is the cheapest fix ever, for almost everything (not so great on tile or things you have to scrub).
If it were my place in the country, I would paint the kitchen cabinets a soft sage green - it is neutral and it can work with any color scheme / color story you want in the future, but it will add so much light to the space, it is charming for a country place and unique. Here's a great one - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/harbourtown
and all the walls for now, including the wood paneling a pale buff - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/sandywhite
with creamy white trim http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/mountainpeakwhite

Yep I'd take down the scalloped valances. I'd probably pull up all the carpet left in the house and throw it out and use the wood floor underneath even if I had to paint it. In the living room, your gray stone fireplace is the right gray to use for the floor, except two shades lighter - match the hue of the gray to the stone, but then go up the card to a shade about three darker than white. Paint, poly on top with two coats. Keep the vinyl floor.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Heather    September 22, 2013 at 5:15PM
Fixer upper please any ideas?
I just got a faux wicker patio set from a garage sale...
vouts
Paint color suggestions for exterior of my new fixer-upper home.
I just purchased this house and it needs a lot of work....
peejay
Napa Valley Fixer Upper
We're planning to remodel a house in Napa Valley in...
cindymp
Old house decorating help
My next project is the dining room. We have to go with...
Kirsten Burke
General design guidance for my first (very small, fixer upper) home
Hi houzz friends! I'm about to close on my very first...
carriec631
Charleston Toffee RTA Kitchen Cabinets Done By Lily Ann Cabinets
Hello Dear Friends, How's going life :) hope you...
Lily Ann Cabinets
combination Mudd room and laundry room
Would like some suggestions for the cabinets. I also...
tearose128
Contractors chipped new granite on install, is it salvageable?
My wife and I finally broke down and are in the process...
jwallywally
What kind of coffee table should we get?
My husband and I are struggling to decide what kind...
Nicole Lang
Need Help for my Living room
I bought ashley platinum sofa set consist of 3+2+2...
pity30002000