Suggestions for feature wall colour in my living room

Jodie TurnerSeptember 20, 2013
Struggling to decide on a colour for a feature wall in our living room. Once I've got a colour I will re-accessorize. The room doesn't get a lot of natural light. Also which wall should I paint? Behind the tv or opposite wall? Thanks!
Alysa Lee
You've got a lot of reds and greens going on in your living room right now, I could see a great color combo with that! Maybe something similar to the attached photo? Depending on how comfortable you are with colors you could do a soft green or bold red accent wall. I think that painting the wall behind the couch would help it to not blend in so much with the wall and balance the heavy furniture on the other side of the room. Some throw pillows on the couch and artwork to tie in the colors with the rest of the room, it'll look great!
Fiorella Design · More Info
]
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 11:49PM
I'm confused about the finished look you're going for here. The TV walls says IKEA modern but your furniture says cozy and comfy. I'd say if you're going with the IKEA modern, paint the wall behind the TV a darker shade of gray and the rest of the walls a lighter shade. If you're going for the cozy and comfy, colors like sage green, light blue or even light yellow will brighten things up for you.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 3:45AM
Rina
Grasscloth wallpaper would look good on the wall behind the TV. I can't get the subtleties of colour in the room, but you could get it to blend with upholstery/carpet or the very pretty tree triptych on your wall (is that gold or green?). This is from http://www.designyourwall.com/store/Grasscloth-wallpaper-c-89.html.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 4:49AM
Rina
Forgot.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 4:51AM
Jodie Turner
Thanks for the suggestions. I want to avoid greys and blues as I want it to feel warm and cozy. I think sage green would be perfect. I was also contemplating a mustard yellow color. Do you think this would work?
    Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 1:54PM
Rina
Good morning Jodie. I think the sage green would be lovely. I've had time to look more carefully at your room that I could yesterday and I really like it -- especially that very relaxed dog of yours, of course. The point Charlee makes about about Ikea vs comfy is valid, and I think the crispness of a mustard yellow would exacerbate that, while the softer sage green would to help bridge it. (That's why I thought a bit of earthy grass texture would work.) Perhaps you should move your rug to the sitting area? It looks as though it could be a tripping hazard where it is -- though again, it helps to soften the TV side of the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 9:56PM
Jodie Turner
Thanks Rina. I've been out today buying paint samples and these are my purchases from today. We usually do have our rug further back but our dog runs in and jumps on it so it ends up on the other side of the room. We tried having a coffee table in the centre but she objected to it encroaching in her rug space and chewed the corner!! Might have to get some rubber backing to keep it in place.
    Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 10:17PM
Sharon
I like the bottom left colour sample.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 3:11AM
Rina
I do like the sound of your dog. That's a dog-type dog. I agree with Sharon about the bottom left, and I've tried to match it in this. I can do the others, too, but later as I must be off doing other things for a while.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 4:48AM
Rina
Hello Jodie. Here are the other two. Actually, I think I like the last one best, on the basis of these. What do you think?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 7:22AM
dclostboy
How about an all over tone on tone stencil for added depth / texture. Use lighter sage for walls and stencil with 10 percent darker.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 7:37AM
Jodie Turner
Thanks Rina! Agree with you I prefer the last one I really like that. So which color was that?
    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 1:17PM
Jodie Turner
Dclostboy - that sounds interesting. Trying to visualize it - can you find any examples of this?
    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 1:18PM
dclostboy
Try this from etsy.com. You can browse some of the other designs there. I think the black on black one is most stunning, but thought that might scare you :). http://www.etsy.com/listing/107419848/wall-stencil-moroccan-tulip-allower?ref=shop_home_active
    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 1:59PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I think you should paint the wall where the couch is but consider changing the layout first. If you can......put the tv console where the couch is (the accent wall will pop much more against the white). Put one couch facing the tv. If you place a couch this way it will create a more definite space. Put the wine sideboard and paintings where the tv console is now. Put the green chair on the other side. I suggest a much deeper green like the chair. This shade would warm up your room.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 2:44PM
dclostboy
This is how the tone on tone worked in my bedroom. Flash makes it look less subtle than in person.
6 Likes    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 2:51PM
Rina
Good morning Jodie. I just did the best I could to match your sample -- an inexact science at best, but it gives a fair impression, I think. Try painting a larger patch in that colour to see if you like it, or paint it on a board (two coats) if you are thinking of highlighting the other wall, as Lydia suggests, so you can move it around.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 10:30PM
Rina
I went slightly darker because it looked to me as though your painted patch was showing some white through it, and a second coat would solidify the colour.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 10:31PM
Jodie Turner
Oh thanks everyone for the suggestions. Much appreciated! I have considered setting the room up as suggested and it would definitely be my preference. Only problem is the TV plug is on this wall. Might look into getting it moved though. Thanks everyone for the help you're awesome! I'll post photos of the finished look soon
1 Like    Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 12:58AM
Jodie Turner
Dclostboy your bedroom looks terrific. I may have to use that idea for my spare bedroom :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 1:01AM
Jodie Turner
Here's a work in progress photo. Really happy with the colour
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 3:57AM
Rina
Oh, yes, it looks very good. What is the colour?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 4:26AM
Jodie Turner
It's a Wattyl paint (Australian) - It's called Bambusa. I'll post the finished look tomorrow (hubby is doing the second coat now)
    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 4:32AM
kellyanne311
Love the progress! This room is going to look great when you're done.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 4:36AM
Jodie Turner
And the finished wall. Now just gotta do some accessorizing.
4 Likes    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 12:40AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Much better! Make sure to centre all the furniture (away from the walls) with the TV. Adding some curtains would complete the room. I noticed you're in Australia so I went international.....these are from IKEA.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 8:35AM
Jodie Turner
Ok so now thinking of doing the whole room in this colour. What does everyone think? Would it be too much?
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 3:44PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I don't particularly like accent walls so go for it!! The room will look much more complete and the furniture will stand out more against a colour.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 3:54PM
Rina
I'm balancing elegantly on the fence, so I thought this would be more helpful than a Virgoan balancing of pros and cons.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 10:57PM
Tarek Salama
Nice :)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 11:15PM
Jodie Turner
We bit the bullet and painted the whole room. Something was bugging me about just the one wall being done, it felt incomplete. Very happy with the look - I will post photos in a bit.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 4:29PM
Jodie Turner
Ok what do you think?
6 Likes    Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 6:01PM
Big change and nice! Now you really need to start balancing the furniture arrangement to attempt better symmetry with the TV/bookcase wall. Do you plan to style your bookcases? They'd really look better with 1/3 books (lying, standing, propping,) 1/3 large decor items (other than framed photos,) and 1/3 open space.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 9:10PM
Jodie Turner
Yep it's hard to combine function with style! Will have a play around with the bookcases to see what looks better. I've tried different furniture arrangement and we'd need to get rid of the chair and footstool to make it work. I hate having the sofas lined up against the wall but with current furniture it's just too tight to move.
    Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 9:50PM
Rina
Jodie, the room is already transformed. I'm so glad you shoved me off the fence and painted it all.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 11:46PM
Jodie Turner
Haha thanks Rina. Now to move on to the kitchen and spare bedroom. Keep your eyes pealed for new threads ;)
    Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 12:55AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
So much better!!! I noticed you got a new chair.....nice!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 8:25AM
Consider moving the dark wine cabinet out of the room and putting the sofas in an "L" on those two walls. Angle the chair and footstool between the door and window under the picture.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 8:53AM
can anyone suggest a name of a colour for my feature wall.
I'm looking for a stoney, natural colour
lilylavender
wall art suggestions for my little white cottage living room
I like whites, grays, and a little bit of sparkly silver....
phancynancy52
My living room is a tad too stark! Suggestions?
Artwork layout, window treatments, lamp shade, and...
carolbrandywine
Advice about furniture placement/colour for my living room!!!
Hi!! We bought a house, and don't know where to start....
meldesforged
Need help with kitchen/dining room colors
We bought a new house and moving end of May. The current...
Amy Wags
What flooring for lots of wood walls?
We just bought this 1904 fixer at the beach. It has...
merrileerandall
What's missing?
So here's my living room. It's driving me bananas....
okonskia
Need Help for my living
i want to design a small living area of approx 200...
Ankita Angne
Challenging living room...your expertise WANTED!
I want to redecorate my living room. I am getting rid...
Sunnyday
Sponsored Products
Good Ideas Exclusive Compost Wizard with Coco Fiber - GID071
$154.99 | Hayneedle
Stammer Giclee Shade 10x10x12 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Cowhide Tube Armchair
Dot & Bo
Vondom | Sloo Rectangle Table
YLiving.com
Patio Living Concepts Patio Tables. San Juan 30 in. Bisque Table Lamp with Fores
Home Depot
'Denver' Throw Pillow
$29.99 | zulily