Bathroom Update Help
lagunatic
We will be putting a new top and sinks on the bathroom vanity. How can I update the wooden bottom of vanity without taking it out? We like a gray color.
Creative Innovations & Designs Inc
If you dont want to remove the vanity, the only option is to paint it. Find a painter that will sand and spray laquer. Don't attempt to brush or roll it on because it always ends up looking like a DIY project. Add a great looking chrome pull and the vanity will look great! Be careful picking your grey. Grey is the hardest color to work with because it has so many undertones. I always make sure I pick my grey last and compare it to all my other finishes. The safest grey is a grey with an undertone of brown. Stay away from cool greys as they can look blue very easily. One of my favourites is Zepplin from ICL- it's a neutral grey with warm undertones.
0 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 7:40AM
You can paint it, and then remove the four doors and make curtains to take their place.
0 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 7:42AM
ReDesign Innovations
Just have the vanity refaced depending in the look you are going for. If going for a more contemporary look choose clean and simple lines. Charcoal color high gloss finish would be somewhat neutral so that you can use different color in the future.
1 Like   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 8:08AM
If you are going to paint the cabinet, you can replace the door/drawers with clean line fronts, with no beveled edges for a more modern look. Or, just paint and install pretty new hardware.
0 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 9:05AM
ReDesign Innovations
Would like to see what you have chosen for vanity top and fixtures.
0 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 9:09AM
sstarr
This vanity would look nice in a gray opaque stain. Finish it in hardware that coordinates with your new faucets.
From the tile on your floor and tub surround, it appears to be a traditional/classic style room. Are you changing out the tile or anything else?
1 Like   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 9:12AM
ReDesign Innovations
If your budget can t afford refacing then the vanity can be painted and hardware changed. For best results either spray it ior roll it it with a small foam roller. BEHR makes a high gloss water based paint. Use several thin coats and let dry well in between. Replace the hardware with something sleek and contemporary. To balance the vanity switch iut the mirrors with something more updated. You could try painting the frames on the existing ones.
0 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 9:31AM
cathieg
I like the suggestion of the gray stain, but I saw this bathroom and they have info on paint/glaze used if you are interested.

2 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 9:40AM
cathieg
I understand this is not your chosen palette but think about tiling all the way up behind the mirrors.

0 Likes   September 21, 2013 at 9:47AM
want to update my bathroom and need help.
tired and out of date. the entire bathroom is tile...
Get Smart Kaos
The bathroom has not been updated in over 40 years. HELP PLEASE!
The bathroom has not been updated in at least 40 years....
beach60
update bathroom help
old tiles, very bland need to match floor and wall...
pitonjet
update my bathroom and my laundry needs help
change the entire décor and add new furniture, curtains...
lafdly
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Best thing to happen at home in 2014?
Our homes are where our lives unfold. What was the...
Need to fit five kids in this room
Need to fit five kids in this room. Two 13yrs olds...
happycl8
Need DESPERATE HELP for dining room and living room
I moved into my first house last year and am a single...
schmoo11