Bathroom Update Help
lagunatic
September 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We will be putting a new top and sinks on the bathroom vanity. How can I update the wooden bottom of vanity without taking it out? We like a gray color.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Creative Innovations & Designs Inc
If you dont want to remove the vanity, the only option is to paint it. Find a painter that will sand and spray laquer. Don't attempt to brush or roll it on because it always ends up looking like a DIY project. Add a great looking chrome pull and the vanity will look great! Be careful picking your grey. Grey is the hardest color to work with because it has so many undertones. I always make sure I pick my grey last and compare it to all my other finishes. The safest grey is a grey with an undertone of brown. Stay away from cool greys as they can look blue very easily. One of my favourites is Zepplin from ICL- it's a neutral grey with warm undertones.
0 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 7:40AM
charleee
You can paint it, and then remove the four doors and make curtains to take their place.
0 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 7:42AM
PRO
ReDesign Innovations
Just have the vanity refaced depending in the look you are going for. If going for a more contemporary look choose clean and simple lines. Charcoal color high gloss finish would be somewhat neutral so that you can use different color in the future.
1 Like   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 8:08AM
Darzy
If you are going to paint the cabinet, you can replace the door/drawers with clean line fronts, with no beveled edges for a more modern look. Or, just paint and install pretty new hardware.
0 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 9:05AM
PRO
ReDesign Innovations
Would like to see what you have chosen for vanity top and fixtures.
0 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 9:09AM
sstarr
This vanity would look nice in a gray opaque stain. Finish it in hardware that coordinates with your new faucets.
From the tile on your floor and tub surround, it appears to be a traditional/classic style room. Are you changing out the tile or anything else?
1 Like   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 9:12AM
PRO
ReDesign Innovations
If your budget can t afford refacing then the vanity can be painted and hardware changed. For best results either spray it ior roll it it with a small foam roller. BEHR makes a high gloss water based paint. Use several thin coats and let dry well in between. Replace the hardware with something sleek and contemporary. To balance the vanity switch iut the mirrors with something more updated. You could try painting the frames on the existing ones.
0 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 9:31AM
cathieg
I like the suggestion of the gray stain, but I saw this bathroom and they have info on paint/glaze used if you are interested.

2 Likes   Thanked by lagunatic    September 21, 2013 at 9:40AM
cathieg
I understand this is not your chosen palette but think about tiling all the way up behind the mirrors.

0 Likes   September 21, 2013 at 9:47AM