What would you put under a large island corner?
DD Scorpion
We have the L shaped base cabinet frame in place for a large island. The plan is to make the countertop much larger than the L shape, basically to fill in the angle in between the L with some kind of curve. The attached drawing shows just one idea. I'm having a tricky time figuring out what kind of structure to put underneath the angle. Right now my idea is to make curved shelves that match the curve of the countertop, but allowing for leg room. I also thought about putting cabinets down there for extra storage, but it was hard to design because it would have to be forward enough to open easily, but back enough not to get in the way of seating. I don't want to leave this area empty with just the L shape underneath the countertop because I'd rather make it flow with the overall shape of the island ... rather than making it look like a simple shape with a curvy counter on top.
The shelves under the island would not be easily accessible. I would leave it enclosed and just finish it with the same treatment as the rest of the island.
September 22, 2013 at 5:44AM     
DD Scorpion
If I leave it enclosed, I was thinking the space might be too deep (as it is now with the L shape) without building something underneath. I am thinking to avoid right angles and straight lines, instead to do something curved that matches curve of the countertop. But making the a wood panel curved is challenging. Any other ideas what to put under there?
September 22, 2013 at 11:53AM   
Tile floor in bathroom
We are redoing our main bathroom - space is narrow,...
Bathroom renovation for practicality and growing family
We just stripped our second bathroom and are figuring...
Does my house need more pop
I need help putting some pop in my curb appeal.
Advice on black and white bathroom
we bought a black Victorian tub similar to this one...
Need help decorating this wall and console
I'd like to keep the modern elegant design for the...