Decoration help - What is this called?
Meghan Francisco
September 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have this large opening in the upper wall between the entrance and the kitchen/living room. I am trying to figure out how to decorate it. I feel like it needs something. I don't even know what this space is called so I can't really look up ideas. Please help.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
We have so many of those types of niches in our house that we don't know what to do with, so the only time they aren't left empty is during christmas when we put decorations on them.
September 22, 2013 at 8:18am      Thanked by Meghan Francisco
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Meghan Francisco
I was thinking about doing a fall type decoration then switch to Christmas but I don't know what to do the rest of the year. Like you, I will probably be leaving it empty.
September 22, 2013 at 8:20am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
It doesn't really look bad left open anyway. If you wanted to, try some different combinations of greenery, candle holders, decorative containers, etc.. Stores like Hobby Lobby or Pier 1 have a lot of stuff that would look good up there, but it can get pricey.
September 23, 2013 at 1:15pm   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
I wouldn't "chachki it all up" (an expression I've borrowed from my husband) ... nor would I put any dust collecting faux green plants up there (unless I was hosting an 80's party, sporting shoulder pads and playing Duran Duran on my Sony Walkman).

I would either leave it empty, or find one large scale, probably antique, two sided, piece for the space. something like the stuff the "American Pickers" drag out of old barns ... like an antique weather vain ... an advertising piece ... a child's riding toy ...
September 23, 2013 at 1:29pm     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Leave it as is as an architectural element. What I would suggest is painting that whole wall (both sides) 2 shades deeper than the other walls to highlight the architecture. Don't over think it....but I would put a more interesting & heftier chandalier there.
September 23, 2013 at 1:30pm     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Alisha Harper
Keep it simple. It might look neat if you hung an old stained glass window or even some type of iron work from that transom area.
September 23, 2013 at 1:37pm   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Close it up with drywall. The other side has a bunch of awkward angles. It'll also help prevent cooking smells from traveling into your living room.
September 23, 2013 at 1:38pm     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
I would just keep it as an architectural detail. "If you can't hide it, flaunt it". Putting anything up there for decoration would just look like your trying to cover over the intended looks. Flaunt it by using the paint suggestion by OasisDesign&Remodeling.
September 23, 2013 at 8:38pm     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
You could have an electrician come out and put in 1 or 2 recessed lights and put it on a dimmer switch. Just leave the shelf empty and at night it will come alive with light. You then can use it as a night light.
September 23, 2013 at 10:00pm     
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Or.... Have a set of Mederterranium doors made either keep it open or keep it closed.
September 23, 2013 at 10:02pm     
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help with a small foyer--lots of doors
The entry to our condo is a long hall starting with...
Jealous of people with 100+ comments, help me??
I can do this for all of you but not for myself. I...
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Need help for a vintage door with vintage glasses
I've think to hang four small stained-glasses window......
Color combinations
Can you put black granite that has a. Bronze and beige...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™