Need help with dining room chandelier
ndipietra
Chandelier previously installed is not centered on the new dining room table. What are the possibilities for installing a new, centered chandelier? Can the ceiling box be moved and the ceiling repaired?
Yes, it can. And when you do so, lower the fixture (or a new drum chandy for an update) to less than 36" above the table top. Size of fixture should be 1/2 the width of your table and you want it to be reflected in the mirror, but may not be possible when you move the fixture. Art might be a better choice with the sideboard or buffet under it. The table might work better turned the other direction, but since we're only seeing a small wedge of your entire space it's hard to say. Think about anchoring with a rug (4 feet wider and longer than the table top) and using draperies to soften the harsh lines of the windows. Do you have a location for the mirror where it can reflect something interesting or beautiful?
Woodland Road West Dining Room
Trickett Dining Room
September 22, 2013 at 8:20am     
ndipietra
The mirror is placed to reflect the view of the yard. There is no other place for it to offer a pleasant reflection. We are torn about the table placement. This is a single great room layout. We thought having the table positioned lengthwise would cut into the feeling of space. I am attaching some photos for you to get a feel of the space. Your suggestions are appreciated.
September 22, 2013 at 9:06am     
Genevieve
Looking at the ceiling fan and the chandelier they are both installed on the same direction,yes the box can be moved and yes the ceiling can also be repaired ,another couple options could also be used ,you could purchase a large medallion and install it where the chandelier is move to by doing this the hole will be covered and no repairs would be needed , or you could have a chain attached to a hook and hang the chandelier on it . I think that you also could use a larger fixture .
September 22, 2013 at 9:28am   
Genevieve
I just thought of something else :)
add an extra box and have 2 light fixture installed ,no need to take or repair anything just move the table a bit and its done .
Here is the example

dining room

ceiling lights--lightsueprdeal.com
September 22, 2013 at 9:40am     
Possibly not repaired. Depending on your building code, you may not be able to seal over wires. Check first.

Genevieve’s suggestion will be perfect if you can’t repair the ceiling…just rotate the table to accomodate the two chandy’s.

Great save, Genevieve!
September 22, 2013 at 9:44am     
Genevieve
Thank you iplay10s:)
September 22, 2013 at 9:47am   
Not sure your table is long enough to handle two light fixtures, but its a great potential solution and look. You seem to have a large foyer area. Lowering that chandy to hang above a round foyer table, reflected in the round mirror might be nice. Then place the tall display where you now have the chest with sculpture, and move the chest and sculpture to the current mirror wall.
September 22, 2013 at 12:03pm   
Pam
It feels like the table should be turned...would it be centered under the light if you did?
September 22, 2013 at 12:11pm     
njmomma
If you want to keep this budget wise, buy a new chandy with a chain long enough to hang on a hook from the ceiling that would land over the center of the table.

attached is a bad photo image I found, but you can at least envision what I am suggesting.
September 22, 2013 at 12:22pm     
Lamp & Shade Works
Since your home is on the more modern side we could recommend a track system that you could run where ever you want and then drop 3 mini-pendants or 2 larger pendants from. The idea with a track you have a floating feed that you can put anywhere along the track and you can bend a curve the tracks as needed. We have used this application over tables and it looks great!
September 23, 2013 at 10:03am      Thanked by ndipietra
ndipietra
I have considered track, do you have any photos with suggested fixtures? Thx
September 23, 2013 at 10:12am   
Lamp & Shade Works
Here are a few photos of tracks over tables that I found on Houzz. The last one is a Kitchen but It gives a nice look.

Modern Dining Room by St. John's Photographers Becki Peckham

Modern Dining Room by Other Metro General Contractors Mindful Designs, Inc.

Modern Dining Room by Seattle Photographers seattlehometours.com

Contemporary Kitchen by Easton General Contractors Jay Miller General Contractors, Inc.
September 23, 2013 at 12:39pm   
ndipietra
No images
September 23, 2013 at 12:50pm   
Lamp & Shade Works
Sorry we are new to Houzz and I am unsure of how to share the photos. I did save the pictures to our IdeaBook. If you look and my Houzz page and then go in under Dining Room at the very end I added these same photos I was trying to send. The other two photos were in the same area but under the category of kitchen.
September 23, 2013 at 1:05pm     
Houseplans.com
An iron chandelier with lamp shades like this would look great above your black table and help pull the whole room together too!
September 23, 2013 at 1:16pm   
Here are two of the track systems from Lamp and Shade Works. I couldn't find the others. Modern Home In The Middle Of St. John's
Modern Remodel
September 23, 2013 at 1:23pm        Thanked by ndipietra
There is absolutely no reason the ceiling couldn't be repaired after the box is moved. There are no live wires left in the ceiling.
September 23, 2013 at 1:25pm        Thanked by ndipietra
Fred S
Actually, there is no way to know from these pictures where the wire comes from or if it is long enough to move without leaving the original box as a junction box. There could even be more than one set of wires entering the junction box from different directions.
September 24, 2013 at 5:45am   
Plantation Shutters of Florida Inc
You need to see i think the same thing there is no way
October 22, 2013 at 6:00pm   
7'5" dining room ceiling height, need help with a chandelier!!
We have very low ceilings in our dining room. Our...
Need help with a chandelier and area rug for our new dining room!
Hi, everyone! Our family moved into our new construction...
Need help on size of chandelier for my dining room table
Dining room table is 82"L x 45"W. Is it best to get...
Need help selecting a dining room chandelier for mid century table.
I inherited this walnut stained mid century dining...
neep help with empty gaps
We have a shoe cabinet by the entry way and a love...
Need help with my living room
I recently bought a loft and am slowly furnishing and...
Color of grout
We are putting ceramic in kitchen. What do you think...
What decorative items do you hate the most?
It does not have to be overused or trend that should...
Mantel
I am debating whether or not to paint this dark mantel...