Would love help with master bedroom makeover
Sherry
I'm not very confident in my interior design skills (or lack thereof!) so have been perusing this site for help. Saw all the great input on the discussion boards so thought I would ask for some help.
1. I'm taking out the carpet in this room and putting in a wood laminate. So that prompted me to want to redo it (also a divorce and the need for a new look!)
2. I would like to go with a gray and white bedroom with accent color of turquoise. Do you think that would go okay with the furniture? Can't afford new furniture so need to work with what I've got! Most of the photos I've seen with this color scheme have white or black furniture so having a hard time visualizing it.
3. What do you think of the furniture positioning? I like to watch tv in bed so need to keep that in mind. One entire wall is closets.
4. I'm also going to redo master bath with same colors. Getting new vanity and will repaint same color as bedroom.
I really appreciate the opinions/ideas and help!
Here are photos of my bedroom right now
Sherry
Here is the other wall (all closets!)
0 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 9:18AM
Sherry
And these are my ideas for the new and improved room
4 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 9:22AM
dclostboy
I think it would look great. Don't go too dark on the wall paint so the furniture stands out. Light bed linens with gray accents and bright turquoise pillows / drapes.
1 Like   September 22, 2013 at 9:26AM
Gantt's Decorating
I am going to try to post a picture for color only. Grey and white to me are cold sterile colors and won't look good with your brown furniture. See if you don't like these colors better. They are warmer and blend better. Also next time I would rethink your window treatments and con sider using the same fabric to dress the bed and windows. Good luck Bill
1 Like   September 22, 2013 at 9:29AM
Took a look at your ideabooks and I see no problem with what you want to do. I think you should take the brave step of painting your bedroom suite black or dark expresso. I'd corner the bed just to the right of where you have it. With your wall of white closet doors, I don't think the room would be too intense if you painted the other walls in a nice light shade like Sea Salt. First though find the bedding and curtains, because the paint can be matched to them, but not vice versa. I think the cedar chest is taking up too large a footprint and would eliminate it and possibly one of the two dressers, since you've reduced the amount of clothing to be housed to just one person. Find a second table for the bedside, but only equal in height to the one you have. Could even be a round open bottom one. New art as in some of your inspiration pix would be great. When you have the flooring in, you might consider an area rug to pull half way under the bed for another great look.
3 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 9:35AM
Looks like only way furn can go. . THe furn will work with grays. First,you have a lot of very heavy furn. I know you have to keep. But, can you move a piece out? The tall boy with TV would be it. Instead use chest at end of bed for TV stand. That would open rm more. Next remove window covers, pictures on wall, and bedding. Bedding should be white fluffy comforter. with a gray trim same with shams. Paint walls a dove gray Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore have nice ones get some samples try on your wall. Paint the bath room same. You can paint vanity a white. All trim incl doors should be white. Over bed keep it simple with a silver 36" sunburst mirror hang 6" above top of headboard. On long wall beside bed. Put 3 black and white prints.make them 20x20 hang low and 3" between each. Ikea has some nice ones. On windows, white woven fabric, Under them bamboo shade in white. Add a solid teal area rug at foot of bed very plush push under bed 4 ft. Try 8 x10. A couple teal or peacock pillows on bed. In bath use teal towels and accessories. Lamps pewter base, with white shades drum style. Floors wood med walnut with variation of colors.
4 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 10:42AM
Bedding in sherrym post 3 rd to right is what I was talking about. White with gray. Keep dresser in cluttered. Just a few items. Room is small don't over do.
1 Like   September 22, 2013 at 10:43AM
Replace fan with chandelier. Sherrym post above shows a peek at nice one also see her sunburst over bed. Would be perfect.
1 Like   September 22, 2013 at 10:45AM
Hang panels on same rods same height.
1 Like   September 22, 2013 at 10:46AM
All accessories on dresser go silver and white with some teal. Mirrors tray for items in bathroom.
1 Like   September 22, 2013 at 10:50AM
Sherry
Wow! Thank you everyone for all of the great input. So appreciated!
Gantt - you've given me something to ponder. I like the green scheme. And originally I had the duvet to match the drapes (custom made) but duvet cover was ruined so had to find something to match.
Decoenthusiaste - could you explain the positioning of the bed a little better? When you say corner the bed, do you mean to put the end table all the way in the corner? And the bed next up to it? Only problem with that is that I couldn't pass between the dresser and the bed. And as far as another bedside table, what kind should I get? Same wood color? I need ideas please! I'm really inept at this! And when you say paint a dark color are you talking about just one wall?
Travis- appreciate your ideas - esp on accessories. Lots to ponder.
I wish I was better at this- but I feel better getting all of your great ideas!
One last question - what color of floor should I go with?
0 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 11:17AM
Meant; angle the headboard in the corner, probably get rid of the large dresser, keeping the tall one (good time to re-think the wardrobe post-divorce,) Sea Salt is not really a dark color, just more of a warm gray-blue. Tables can even go fantasy or campy direction.
Anita Diaz
Sea Salt SW6204
West Hills Victorian
Aqua bedroom
3 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 11:38AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I think after a divorce you deserve some luxury! For furniture placement, move the dresser over and put the night stand on the other side of the bed. Angle the tall dresser and tv in the corner. There isn't alot of wall space in your room so I suggest putting wallpaper and painting the ceiling in either one of these two colours to go with the wallpaper. If you don't like wallpaper then this light turquoise colour would make your furniture stand out and give it a more feminine touch. Go with white bedding that has some texture. This bedding also a touch of gray.
5 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 12:38PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Some gray dupioni drapery with white sheers. Remove the bench and add a chair and accent table where the window is. Both of these have some bronze to go with the pulls of the dressers. This would give you another option for watching tv especially if you angle it in the corner like I suggested above.
6 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 12:43PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Luxury doesn't equal ceiling fan so definitely replace it with a chandelier that has some bronze to tie in the pulls of the dressers once again. A ceiling medallion would add to the luxe feel.
5 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 12:52PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
For final touches......if you move the dresser to the wall you could add a mirror and a lamp. Replace the lamp on the side table for something more luxurious. You don't need to have the same lamps.
4 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 12:56PM
Sherry
Thank you for answering my follow-up questions. Decoenthusiaste - thanks for the photos! That helps so much. I need to see if I can make that work. The room is about 12.5 x 16. So not a lot of space.
Lydia - thank you so much for the ideas! Love the photos - that helps me tremendously! Like your idea about moving the dresser but not sure it will work because of the door to the bathroom. I should sketch it put because I know it's hard to really see the room through the photos. I LOVE the colors you picked and especially the bedding. Where did you find the bedding? And I love the chandeliers. I never even use the fan!
Again, I am most appreciative. Feeling better about my new space. I think it's going to feel so fresh and new - just what I need!
3 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 5:40PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
You're so welcome......I'm glad you found some inspiration! I meant moving the dresser over to the empty wall (under the frames) so then you can put a mirror over it and move the night stand to the other side of the bed. Here are the colours by Benjamin Moore:

Pleasant Valley http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/pleasantvalley
Stonybrook http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/stonybrook

If you decide to go with the wallpaper:
http://www.designbycolor.net/en/Living/book/28/aqua/default.aspx

The bedding, chair, drapery, mother of pearl table lamp and capiz lotus chandelier are all from Pottery Barn. The other two chandeliers, the mirror and the accent table are from Horchow.The bronze table lamp is from Target. You can get ceiling medallions at any home renovation center.

Have fun making the space your own! :))
1 Like   September 22, 2013 at 6:47PM
csotelo
How bout placing the headboard on the wall where the dresser is? Also, I would suggest you make your own upholstered headboard---it doesn't cost much and plenty of tutorial on youtube. I recently did this for my daughters bedroom and the transformation is amazing (see attached photo).
0 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 7:00PM
fianou
I love the colours you picked! I think it would look great with the furniture you have. I can see what Gantts said about it being a little sterile, Turquoise is a colour often used in middle eastern architecture, so what about some moroccan lights or screens to make it a little warmer. and maybe some vibrant textiles to warm it a little.
Something a little like this, but without the silly giraffe.
Summer Home on Martha's Vineyard
With complementing bathroom tiles.
My Houzz: Relaxed Australian Retreat for Busy Circus Family
2 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 7:26PM
fianou
Here are some suggestions for gorgeous blankets and sheets. that will really change the feel of the room. i would suggest going for egyptian or brushed 100% cotton and a high thread count (1000) for real luxury. You want your bed to feel like somewhere you deserve to be.
Adding texture to the room will stop it feeling too sterile.
Lanna Duvet Cover, Turquoise
Marseille Coverlet, Dark Turquoise
Eileen Fisher Rippled Cotton Coverlet
Rivulets Quilt, Mint
Indian Kantha Printed Throw
2 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 7:30PM
Sherry
Lydia - thank you for explaining things so well! Went out looking today for things. Couldn't find the bedding I wanted but will continue the hunt.
0 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 8:49PM
Sherry
Fianou-thank you for all of the wonderful ideas!! Beautiful bedding.
1 Like   September 22, 2013 at 9:13PM
Sherry
Csotelo - interesting idea about the headboard! My headboard actually isn't even attached to the bed. It's an antique set so it was a full size bed frame. I bought a queen bed so the frame doesn't fit. The headboard is just propped up!
0 Likes   September 22, 2013 at 9:17PM
fianou
Oh I also wanted to suggest a carved wooden screen
You can even use them as a bedhead.
Eclectic Bedroom
Bedroom
Master Bedroom
You could pull a panel off and repeat the motif in the bathroom
Monterey Street Bath
1 Like   September 23, 2013 at 3:43AM
Sounds like a new headboard is where you can start and use it to establish a totally new look and feel as in your ideabooks.
2 Likes   September 23, 2013 at 5:26AM
Sherry
You all are amazing! I love the idea of the screen as a headboard. I found this on Craigslist. It's 5'6" tall and 5'10" wide. The bed is queen size so I guess it would be just an extra 5 inches on each side. Couldn't remove an entire panel but I think the size would work. What do you think about the color? How does it go with my other furniture? I would love to get a white one but doing this on a budget so am scouring Craigslist. : )
Also, I guess you would just screw the screen into the wall?
Thank you!
1 Like   September 23, 2013 at 11:45AM
Sherry
ooops here is the photo of the screen.
1 Like   September 23, 2013 at 11:57AM
Sherry
The one I just posted is only $120 and is in my city. However, here is another one, which I like better but is $300 and is in another city about 1.5 hours away.
0 Likes   September 23, 2013 at 11:58AM
Sherry
And I would welcome opinions about bedding. I love the bedding that people posted but it's a little out of my price range. So, I found some options at Target. Let me know what you think. Do you think I should do gray with white and turquoise accents? Or white? Or turquoise? Need opinions. And be honest. If you don't like any of them, tell me. : )
0 Likes   September 23, 2013 at 12:24PM
Sherry
And more bedding. With pillows. As someone so wisely suggested, I need to pick my bedding before I pick paint colors. So hoping to pick out bedding so I can get paint this weekend.
I can't say it enough - thank you thank you thank you! I'm learning. Little by little. : )
1 Like   September 23, 2013 at 12:26PM
Sherry
And here is another possibility in white (ruched)
1 Like   September 23, 2013 at 1:00PM
Sherry
Thank you Lydia for your input.
0 Likes   September 23, 2013 at 1:50PM
RosemaryR
Pintuck white for bedding would be my choice, faux silk panels for windows, no valances, remove chest at foot of bed, padded headboard which you can make over with existing headboard, remove small photos an replace with large artwork
1 Like   September 23, 2013 at 2:21PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
You're welcome! Here I go again......I like the idea of a screen as a headboard but I just don't see it with your furniture. If you're intent on getting one then I suggest painting it depending on the wall colour you choose. I think an upholstered headboard would be more elegant. Target has alot of options. P.S. I prefer the second screen but the first one could also look very nice painted. Whatever you decide......if the headboard is dark then go with white bedding and if the headboard is light then go with grey bedding. As I mentioned earlier, I really don't like the turquoise - I find it's too heavy for your furniture. :)
2 Likes   September 23, 2013 at 6:37PM
Sherry
Lydia - I think you are right. I love the screen idea and particularly like the second one. But I think I we'll have too many dark wood pieces. I thought about the upholstered headboard this afternoon and found one at Target. So thanks for confirming my idea. This shouldn't be that hard! LOL. But it is. And I'm trying to keep within a budget but have a nice room. Thank you again for your time!
0 Likes   September 23, 2013 at 7:16PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I'm all about being budget-friendly! You really don't need to spend alot of money to have a nice room. Please feel free to ask for any advice or opinion.....I'd be happy to help you make this space your own. Did you decide which colour to paint the walls?
1 Like   September 23, 2013 at 7:53PM
Sherry
I liked your suggestions for wall colors. I don't want to wallpaper so I think I will paint the walls gray. Similar to the color you suggested. White trim. I'm replacing baseboards so will probably pick a thicker baseboard. Will buy that target diamond point comforter and possibly a gray coverlet ( target has a nice one) and gray sheets. Then the torquoise accent pillows and a few other turquoise accessories to tie it in. And if my budget allows, the white headboard like you suggested.
Love having someone to bounce ideas off of. Can't wait to redo this bedroom and have a new feel to it.
Thanks again - will probably post photos and continue to ask questions!
2 Likes   September 23, 2013 at 9:01PM
Sherry
Oh I just saw where you suggested I go with grey bedding if I get the white headboard. That makes sense. Okay I need to figure out what I'm going to do. LOL. I need to buy the bedding so I can pick the paint!
1 Like   September 23, 2013 at 9:03PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
You're off to a great start......how exciting! :))
1 Like   September 24, 2013 at 11:17AM
losthorizonlisa
Follow
1 Like   September 24, 2013 at 7:56PM
ArtFromDenise
Are you planning to add artwork?
1 Like   September 25, 2013 at 3:18PM
BathGems
I would like to see you do at least 1 wall with some color. Here is a great article on Houzz about doing that:

Also if you need a bathroom vanity that is what we do at BathGems.com - 1000s of vanities to pick from.
1 Like   September 25, 2013 at 3:26PM
Sherry
Will do some simple artwork Denise! And bath gems - I should probably do one feature wall but I'm too boring!
0 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 9:39PM
Sherry
Room makeover in progress! Painted the bedroom last night. It took me. 8 hours!! But that included ceiling. I'm slow. I love the color! It's Valspar signature series and is called "Shaken not stirred"
7 Likes   September 28, 2013 at 3:29PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Much better and love the name of the paint colour! ;)
2 Likes   September 28, 2013 at 4:31PM
pegonia1
Love the new wall color!!!!
1 Like   September 28, 2013 at 4:42PM
leelee
Think about bamboo blinds and getting rid of the valance. Try removing the picture over the headboard. It doesn't work there. Great color for your walls.
1 Like   September 28, 2013 at 5:33PM
Love wall color. You are half way there.
1 Like   September 28, 2013 at 5:37PM
RosemaryR
Looks good Sherry
1 Like   September 28, 2013 at 5:38PM
Faye
WOW! Love the paint color! Looking good Sherry!
1 Like   September 28, 2013 at 5:46PM
rmomala
It's always nice to have the opportunity to redo a space that will be more cozy and comfortable for yourself. I like the turquoise colors we are seeing. I'm feeling something other then whites and grays because they are cool colors and a bedroom I would want warm. So, creamy whites or warmer colors. Also, maybe you would consider painting (or having some painted) of your pieces of furniture? It appears it is not all matching pieces so this would tie it together. Don't forget pretty bedding :)
1 Like   September 28, 2013 at 6:41PM
rmomala
Painted furniture :)
1 Like   September 28, 2013 at 6:47PM
Sherry
Thanks leelee for your ideas! Yes, there will be new window treatments and new artwork. : Momola - I love the boards you put together. I think I'm too far into it though with gray and white. Painted the room already. I will just have to see how it all looks together when I'm done. And thanks to everyone for the encouragement and ideas.
0 Likes   September 28, 2013 at 7:22PM
Sherry
Okay I'm making progress. Not quite done but here is the bedroom. I love the colors. Give me your thoughts. And this is what I still plan to do:
1. Hang white linen curtains
2. Buy white upholstered headboard
3. Find stuff for the walls
4. Change out electrical plugs and covers
5. Maybe get chandelier. When I save up some more money!

Thanks everyone for your input.
2 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 12:00PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
What a difference! Just a thought......I find the bed looks awkward in the corner with the night stand so close to the dresser. It doesn't seem very comfortable when watching tv. I prefer the way it was before or maybe try what I had suggested in an earlier post. You must be very excited about the progress and change!!! :))
2 Likes   October 6, 2013 at 12:24PM
RosemaryR
Sherry, it looks so nice and you've got a great plan that you listed. Agree with Lydia, move nightstand to other side and get larger lamp for it, I like the shape of it but it's too short.
1 Like   October 6, 2013 at 3:26PM
Sherry
Thanks Lydia and Rosemary. I agree with the position of the bed. I wasn't thrilled with it but my 12 yr old son who was helping me loved it so I humored him. Will rearrange tomorrow.
1 Like   October 6, 2013 at 4:35PM
Sherry
Okay need opinions on furniture placement! Lydia? Others? Moved bed from corner and tried different set-up. What do you think? Does chair look too alone on that wall?
2 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 5:55PM
Sherry
So this is the view when standing in the hall and looking in the room. I know the tv is not in a great place but can't think go where else it could go.
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 5:58PM
Sherry
And this is standing at the foot of the bed and looking into the bathroom. Which I also redid.
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 6:01PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Hello Sherry! Wow.....I really like it! So much more cohesive! Turn the chair at the same angle but facing the tv. I would prefer a high back chair BUT if you add an accent table and curtains the chair won't be as lonely. And definitely a mirror above the dresser. I'm so happy that you're making this room your own.....good on you! :)
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 6:03PM
Sherry
And the walls look really bare! Need to get artwork. And put up the curtains! But little by little. And I did this on a budget. Chair was on clearance at World Market for $100. Bedding from Homegoods.
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 6:03PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Just saw the bathroom pic.......you're on a roll!!! You don't need to spend alot of money to have great design!
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 6:03PM
Sherry
Thanks Lydia! I got such a great deal on the chair that I couldn't pass it up. What kind of mirror? What size? And just a small accent table? Same wood color as my furniture? Or something white?
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 6:06PM
Sherry
Thank you Lydia! I live in a modest "ranch" style home built in the 60s. I've done quite a bit to fix it up but there's always more! Im really pleased with my bedroom and bathroom! Still have more to do. It I love the colors and feel of it. Didn't think I would like having a chair in here or even use it but I do!
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 6:08PM
Sherry
Okay. Put furniture back to how I originally had room set up. Except put nightstand on other side of bed and new chair where nightstand used to be. Which do you prefer?
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 6:12PM
Sherry
And now I've switched nightstand and chair.
2 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 6:16PM
bears72
Love the turquoise vase but would put it up on dresser so more obvious perhaps put white article on floor as it will show up against the floor. Need light pillow with grey and turg print for chair
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 6:25PM
Sherry
Thanks mseanor for your input. I bought the turquoise vase because it was a good deal and the right color but hadn't decided what to do with it. I had thought of putting white branches in it but hadn't gotten that far! I will try it on dresser. What do you think of furniture placement?
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 6:35PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I much prefer the first layout you posted with the dresser on the wall. Don't try to match the accent table to the wood of your furniture. I suggest bringing in some bronze (like the pulls?) or white like you mentioned. For the mirror, a round or oval one would look best. I don't know what size your dresser is but maybe a 30" mirror? Here are some examples of what could work. These are from World Market and Target. Also, consider adding a foot stool for the chair to create a small reading nook.
2 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 6:40PM
ArtFromDenise
Your room is looking great! Here's a few ideas for artwork. Art Selections 1 Art Selections 2 Art Selections 3 Art Selections 4://www.houzz.com/photos/5608602/Art-Selections-originals-and-limited-editions-other-metro/Art-Selections-originals-and-limited-editions-other-metro Art Selections 5 Art Selections 6
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 7:33PM
Sherry
Thank you Lydia for holding my hand though this! The dresser is 58" long. I have this mirror that I took out of my bathroom but I think it's too gold. I wonder if there is a way to darken/bronze it? Will look for accent table. And maybe a foot stool - that was a great suggestion.
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 7:38PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
My pleasure! Could you try sanding it to make it look antiqued??
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 8:02PM
Sherry
Hi Denise! Nice colors in the abstracts. Are they water colors? Prints of paintings?
0 Likes   October 8, 2013 at 8:31PM
ArtFromDenise
Thanks Sherry. Those are all original paintings - acrylics on canvas.
1 Like   October 8, 2013 at 8:57PM
bears72
Like the placement of the last picture with the chair just move the chair over further and turn it. Looking forward to seeing artwork as that will put the pop in
2 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 9:31AM
Antico Elements
Yes great idea.
0 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 9:49AM
gditto
I recently had to stage my home for sale and another stager insisted that I needed a more 'fluff' look to my bedding...and she was right! I see that need in yours too. Ikea has a white duvet cover and you can put a fluffy inexpensive comforter inside. Just make sure to iron the duvet...it would add a dreamy feel to your bed. A soft rug on the floor would be nice too.
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 2:58AM
RosemaryR
Hi Sherry, looking great. Would like to see a larger table lamp on nightstand as opposed to the petite one you have now. Little by little... You could also raise it up in the meantime by placing some large books underneath the lamp.
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 9:53AM
fianou
beautiful bedspread!
0 Likes   November 8, 2013 at 9:56PM
master bedroom makeover would be delightful!
We would love to re-do our bedroom and add a Sun room!...
Need help with master bedroom makeover
Need grey/blue paint color to use after removing wallpaper....how...
Need help with my bedroom, would like to give it a make-over
Hi Everyone, I bought a new place last year and just...
I would love to have have my bedroom updated!! And the master bath!
I would love to remove the carpet in my home. We have...
Ideas for living room arrangement?
Hello to everyone! We just bought our first apartment...
shower ideas
designing small shower ,space 1metre by 1 metre
My master bathroom Before and after Done by me, comments????
This is my third bathroom I just completed @ Home....
Need help decorating my fireplace and living room.
Could someone please provide some ideas on how to decorate...
Help Me! Exterior Paint Ideas for Brick house.
I have a big dilemma! It's time for me to paint my...