Need ideas for grandkids' bedroom
kmedl
This is the bedroom our 2 grandkids will use when they come to visit. They are cousins, one boy, one girl, both 8 yrs. old. They rarely come to visit at the same time. Several years ago I bought the bedding from Pottery Barn and want to continue using it. For the comforter, his has blue, brown and green stripes, hers has pink, yellow and green. They both have a green checked comforter. Sheets are white on both beds. Carpet is tan.

I want to paint the walls, get some type of window covering, and then work on wall décor. What color would you suggest for the walls? I understand it's difficult to give me a specific color, but do you have any general suggestions? The room is not very large. It has 2 sets of windows and gets nice morning sun. I like to use BM paint colors. Thank you!
mforr
I thought of it being a square once I saw your arrangement .
November 18, 2013 at 4:28pm      Thanked by kmedl
syncope
On the wall by the closet (?), have you considered a mirror or is there a mirror already slated for that room? Unless it has an adjoining bath, a mirror in a guest room is a nice thing to have when getting dressed.
November 18, 2013 at 4:29pm        Thanked by kmedl
Nancy Walton
Yes, kmedl.
November 18, 2013 at 4:30pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
mforr - I'd have to go back and rearrange and measure. I measured the last one which is still on the floor. It's nearly 4 ft tall and almost 5 ft wide. Want me to measure the wall space?
November 18, 2013 at 4:32pm     
kmedl
So I have the large wall by Coy's bed and the smaller area to the left of the closet. I hadn't thought about a mirror. The guest bathroom is 2 steps out of the bedroom door, though.
November 18, 2013 at 4:38pm     
mforr
You could put a mirror next to closet. It will reflect back the window and greenery plus the plaques with initials and pretty chevron curtains. Ikea does some great chunky white mirrors, hemnes, I'll get a pic for you. :)
November 18, 2013 at 4:41pm      Thanked by kmedl
syncope
Just was wondering. Sometimes, in addition to its actual function, a mirror can make a room seem larger and the reflection of something else in the room becomes its own work of art without feeling too cluttered or fussy.
November 18, 2013 at 4:41pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
mforr and rngp on the same wave length!
November 18, 2013 at 4:43pm     
syncope
now ain't that a hoot!!
November 18, 2013 at 4:43pm     
November 18, 2013 at 4:44pm      Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Great minds :)
November 18, 2013 at 4:45pm     
mforr
I included the extra pic to let you see how white it is, the ikea site pics make it look yellow or gray. It's very white.
November 18, 2013 at 4:46pm        Thanked by kmedl
November 18, 2013 at 4:48pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I'll play with another arrangement of the pictures and see how that looks.

I like the mirror. I can just see them in front of that :))) Let the antics begin.....
November 18, 2013 at 4:52pm     
syncope
how right you are! I didn't think of that aspect of it but monkey see monkey do in front of a mirror...hehehe.
November 18, 2013 at 4:54pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Bubbasgma, I'd like that chalk paint mirror for myself, that's great, have house at beach, it would be so perfect :)))
November 18, 2013 at 4:56pm     
* *
November 18, 2013 at 5:12pm     
syncope
and a * * to you too, Margo. Welcome back...*grins*
November 18, 2013 at 5:14pm     
syncope
ok..that's looks weirder than I intended...
November 18, 2013 at 5:15pm     
syncope
continue forward, ladies. I'll check in tomorrow. Eyes are needing a rest now. Enjoy!
November 18, 2013 at 5:24pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Here are two smaller arrangements, the first one more square the second one more rectangular. Last one is about 3'6" high and 5'6" wide. Either of those?
November 18, 2013 at 5:24pm     
rngp- at least you have the sense to rest:)
November 18, 2013 at 5:26pm     
mforr
Like the first one better than the second :)
November 18, 2013 at 5:26pm        Thanked by kmedl
I like the first one better kmedl;)
November 18, 2013 at 5:27pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
mforr, My lower-level has been taken down to the studs, planning on Hemnes vanity and mirror cabinet for my new combined bath/laundry. But now I'm re-thinking that! Chalk paint mirror might be fun?
November 18, 2013 at 5:29pm     
Nancy Walton
I like the second one. I think what is throwing it off is the orientation of the photos in the frame, which you would be changing, right? Actually, the first set-up might fit above your grandson's bed.
November 18, 2013 at 5:31pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
I love the idea of the chalk paint mirror over the hemnes vanity :)
Unexpected, nice focal point. :)
November 18, 2013 at 5:33pm     
kmedl
Maybe these are more interesting because they're put together in a more non-traditional, youthful way??? I'm looking at all the PB teen wall décor which is always done in different ways.
November 18, 2013 at 5:34pm     
mforr
Maybe you could screw them together like the second option, that would be pretty cool. Just don't get too busy :)
November 18, 2013 at 5:38pm        Thanked by kmedl
I like the PB one with the bulletin board in the middle the best so far;)
November 18, 2013 at 5:40pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
And I have to remember that the frames will look more updated when I paint them navy. But I'm still kinda bored with the arrangements I've come up with. Looks too much like our family gallery wall we have right in the hallway outside their bedroom.
November 18, 2013 at 5:41pm     
Nancy Walton
I like that second arrangement very much--it's different!
November 18, 2013 at 8:20pm      Thanked by kmedl
syncope
kmedl - I understand what you're feeling about the gallery effect. It's hitting me that way too. I'm going to go out on a very long, thin limb here and say that, in following your journey and the thoughts you have shared with us here, you're wanting this room to be primarily a reflection of your grandkids and their personalities though appropriate enough to be useful for other guests as well. I think you have covered the other guests quite well and now is the time to bring in the kids' personalities.

I know you already have the frames and if you still want to use them, perhaps you could take inspiration from the PB arrangement I posted last night and "tile" the pictures but change those white mats and use some appropriate colored/patterned scrapbooking paper to jazz them up. I think the white mats are what make them look so formal and boring to you.

You could choose specific pictures that truly reflect the children's personalities and then use some of the frames to place corkboard that could serve for pinup places to put their own artwork when they visit. That could turn your gallery into a living, changing piece of art. It would also be a place that you could change out some of the pictures for the new ones that are sure to come. (Pictures and artwork you remove could be placed in a real scrapbook and kept in that room for them and other guests to peruse and enjoy.)

Again, just a thought among many in this world of fun you have created for all of us.
November 19, 2013 at 6:28am        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
good morning mforr
November 19, 2013 at 6:49am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Good morning rngp, or rangpur as my predictive text wants to change you to. :D
November 19, 2013 at 7:00am      Thanked by kmedl
syncope
someone else on another thread had that problem, maybe I should just change it to Rhonda...lol
November 19, 2013 at 7:12am     
kmedl
Morning everyone! I'm headed to Michaels in a few minutes to check out their big letters and plaques for above the bed. Also am going to get some navy spray paint and tackle painting some frames.

Rngp - funny that your post this morning is exactly what hubby and I discussed this morning. We love the PB frame arrangement where it looks like a collage and are going to recreate that look. Its the one with the frames all together and one frame centered on top in the middle. Then we can play around with how to fill the frames. So that's where we are with the frames.

Going to Michaels around here is a half a day event since we live an hour from there. So I'll check in with you guys this afternoon to see what we found.
November 19, 2013 at 7:24am     
mforr
Should we call you that?

November 19, 2013 at 7:24am   
mforr
Good luck with your trip kmedl, see you later today :))
November 19, 2013 at 7:25am   
syncope
sure mforr...and I've been sung that song by so many people you'd never believe...in another life I was a paralegal and one of the attorneys we often worked with on other cases sang that to me almost everytime we talked...lol
November 19, 2013 at 7:31am     
mforr
Wonder what you could call me? :)

November 19, 2013 at 7:36am   
syncope
ma belle...son les mots que vont tres bien ensemble?
November 19, 2013 at 7:39am     
mforr
Mais oui!!
November 19, 2013 at 7:51am   
kmedl
Well the trip to Michaels was not very successful. Their wooden letters are all way too small, even combined with a plaque it just wasn't working. I'm back to Etsy looking for some letters. We'd like them to be large, maybe 24" or so. Will it look ok if they're not mounted on a plaque and instead just mounted on the wall?

We were able to get a can of navy spray paint for the frames.

I've played around with the frames creating a collage similar to the PB one and we like it. So this is the arrangement we're going with . Now I can get busy spray painting these frames. BTW, it works out to be about 3' wide which we think will look good on that wall. No decisions made at this point on how we'll fill the frames. So here's a pic of the arrangement.

Didn't know we had some French speakers out there. I lived in Paris and Brussels for 6 yrs, so I love to find anyone who speaks French!
November 19, 2013 at 2:53pm     
mforr
I love mayo on my pomme frites :)
November 19, 2013 at 3:36pm      Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Love the arrangement you are going with. This is another idea that I thought looked really nice, but maybe a bit too mature for the kids. But maybe the same sort of idea with a colorful round mirror?
November 19, 2013 at 3:38pm      Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Using a decal, you could do that straight on wall as well. Even though I liked the three dimensional quality of plaque, wooden letter or mirror.
November 19, 2013 at 3:40pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I can get a 24" unfinished letter from Etsy for $11.99 and paint it myself. It's made of mdf, but I don't think that would matter. So I'm thinking about that.

PB teen does have large decals but they're $50 or more, so I think I can make the unfinished letters look good.
November 19, 2013 at 4:18pm     
mforr
That's great, the mdf takes the paint better anyway :)
November 19, 2013 at 4:19pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
kiddos want a lava lamp on the dresser :)
November 19, 2013 at 4:31pm     
mforr
Can't find my buddy Margo :(
November 19, 2013 at 5:07pm     
Here I am;) I think Lava Lamp is genius!!!!!
November 19, 2013 at 5:50pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
You haven't LIVED until you've had a LAVA LAMP!!! And it's in "dill pickle" green, no less!
November 19, 2013 at 5:55pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Pretty color
November 19, 2013 at 5:56pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
I'm seeing some fun green and navy shaggy pillows too! ;)
November 19, 2013 at 5:58pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
They will love that. Going to order it tomorrow!

I'm spray painting the frames tomorrow. We'll see how they turn out!
November 19, 2013 at 7:29pm     
November 19, 2013 at 9:33pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
The blue blankets arrived today. It looks good to see some navy on the beds!

I'm busy spray painting the frames navy :)
November 20, 2013 at 10:12am     
Yes it does Kmedl;))
November 20, 2013 at 10:16am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
It's really coming together nicely, kmedl :)
I love the crispness. The colorful artwork and the fun green paint with the lamps will really pop nicely. I'm really impressed (again) with how quickly you and your husband pull things together. You really are a houzzers dream come true. :)
Did you know I called you that on that thread last week?
November 20, 2013 at 10:18am        Thanked by kmedl
You know I am starting to wonder about my friend mforr?? I almost feel like she knows exactly when I am posting LOL you would think we had a secret room or something lol
November 20, 2013 at 10:20am     
mforr
Shhhh, move over, you're taking the whole chair Margo!!! And it's my turn to type on the laptop!!!! No fair :)))
November 20, 2013 at 10:22am     
Watch out mforr, I am bigger and older, so mind your P's and Q's missy ;))
November 20, 2013 at 10:27am     
mforr
I'm telling mom!!!!
November 20, 2013 at 10:28am     
mforr
Moooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!
November 20, 2013 at 10:29am     
LOL, she is soooo old she can't hear you
November 20, 2013 at 10:32am     
mforr
Is this mom? Yikes!!!!!

November 20, 2013 at 10:42am     
kmedl
Ok, you two. Here you are again cracking me up!

A Houzzers dream??? No, didn't see that one. Where was that?

Along with the PB package that arrived today were 3 more PB gift cards. Wish you could have seen hubby's face when he saw those cards, lol.

Finished spraying the frames and will take a pic in an hour or so when they are dry enough to handle. They turned out really good.
November 20, 2013 at 12:06pm     
mforr
November 20, 2013 at 12:13pm      Thanked by kmedl
chookchook2
Amazing room, kids must be so excited.
November 20, 2013 at 12:17pm        Thanked by kmedl
Debp
I want that lava lamp! Your room looks awesome.
November 20, 2013 at 12:25pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Thanks, mforr. We both really appreciate you saying that. We think it's just an amazing process to watch our rooms come together with everyone's gracious help.

Here are the frames painted. BTW, they look darker than in this pic. That's the layout that will go on the wall. I traced the layout on craft paper and taped it to the wall to see how it would look and to help us hang the pictures. Do you think it looks like it's in the right place on the wall? We sort of centered it with the bed. Should it be scooted over to the right a bit?

Thoughts before we start hanging?
November 20, 2013 at 1:35pm     
mforr
I like the position, perfectly spaced. And I love the arrangement and color :)
November 20, 2013 at 1:37pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Ok, great! Going to tackle hanging them now.
November 20, 2013 at 1:42pm     
mforr
Good luck :)
November 20, 2013 at 1:47pm     
kmedl
We've got 5 of the 6 frames hung. The last one will go in the center on top of the others. It will be tricky to figure out, so we'll do that one tomorrow. They look darker on the wall, don't they! I'm liking the navy on the yellow. No idea what's going in them at this point, maybe the kiddos will do some art for me when they're here for Thanksgiving :)
November 20, 2013 at 3:02pm     
mforr
Love the way it looks :)
The kids will love it too, get some inspiration for them, examples of art they might find interesting.
November 20, 2013 at 3:27pm      Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Maybe check out this site :)
Just to get a few ideas to jump start the project for them :))
http://www.thecraftyclassroom.com/ThemeFamousArtists.html
November 20, 2013 at 3:32pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
The frames are complete! Here's my version and here's the one from PBteen. I turned the top frame up vertically to give it more height.
November 21, 2013 at 7:51am     
mforr
Looks great!! You must be proud :)

I received email from pb teen with 20% off for best customers, I'll bet you got one too, used with the gift cards they sent you, save a pretty penny. Thought you might be interested in something like this for Christmas presents. I'll send link in a sec :))
November 21, 2013 at 7:57am      Thanked by kmedl
November 21, 2013 at 8:01am      Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Love how everything is coming together! Not sure where you stand on the duvet cover, but noticed it is included in the warehouse/clearance sale at $99. Shams are $39. http://www.pbteen.com/products/1285964/?pkey=cclearance-girls-bedding&cm_src=Quicklook
November 21, 2013 at 9:00am        Thanked by kmedl
November 21, 2013 at 9:10am        Thanked by kmedl
November 21, 2013 at 9:11am        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
No, I haven't gotten a 20% coupon by email :( I have some $10 off ones that I'm using for the 2 clip lights, but 20% would be nice - I'm REALLY considering ordering those PB navy and white shams. The duvet covers are on backorder until the end of Jan, but that's ok.

love the kitty and polka dot pillows!
November 21, 2013 at 10:03am     
kmedl
Question.. with the white and blue duvet, do I want the standard sham or euro? Getting ready to order!

Should I monogram the duvets? I am going to monogram the shams.
November 21, 2013 at 10:14am     
bubbasgma
Love a Polka dot on each bed, then the Kitty on one and the Bulldog on the other? There's also a navy w/ (lava lamp) green strip. http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/leo-lumbar-sham/?pkey=cclearance&
November 21, 2013 at 10:22am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
I'd just get the standard if it's monogrammed and put in the front.
Don't bother monogramming the duvetjust one piece is enough, plus you will have the initial on the wall over headboard. :)
November 21, 2013 at 10:27am   
syncope
Though I haven't commented in a bit, I've been following and I love euros. Would not monogram both.
November 21, 2013 at 10:27am        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
I personally stay away from monograms in guest rooms. Otherwise I feel like I'm sleeping in someone else's bed. LOL! But that's just me. I might save the alphabets for the walls. http://www.pbteen.com//products/pick-your-print-wall-letters/?cm_src=MYRECS
November 21, 2013 at 10:29am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
I got this email this morning, are you signed up for emails? :)
November 21, 2013 at 10:32am   
kmedl
So let me get this right. If I don't do any monograms at all, should I get the euro so that I can put other little pillows in front or does it not matter if it's standard or euro as long as there's no monogram on it?
November 21, 2013 at 10:34am     
mforr
Those letters are wonderful, kmedl :)
Good sleuthing bubbasgma :)))
November 21, 2013 at 10:34am   
mforr
No monogram = euro
Then put smaller ones in front.
Monogram = standard in front
November 21, 2013 at 10:35am     
bubbasgma
Roofers are here...BANG! BANG! BANG!....internet sleuthing is about all I can focus on! HA!
November 21, 2013 at 10:39am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
All the grandmas who are looking to do rooms or get gifts for their grandchildren, sign up for emails from both pb teen and pottery barn kids. They do send a lot of stuff, but it's well worth it to be in on all the sales and clearance announcements, plus extra percentage off from time to time. :)
It's helped me with stuff for my kids at times, great savings
kmedl
Ok. No monograms on anything and a euro for each bed. That's what I'll get. I like the navy dot pillows, the navy and green pillows, and Lilly LOVES cats, so I can get her one of those. But I don't like the other 2 dog ones they have left. So how many pillows total on each bed????

Seems I'm always signed up for emails every time I order something!
November 21, 2013 at 10:40am     
kmedl
bubbasgma - I can identify! We had our roof replaced this summer. Each day was a Goody's powder, for sure.
November 21, 2013 at 10:41am     
syncope
Sounds like 4 if you get what you listed. But I'd just figure out how long I wanted to spend making their bed or how long they'd want to spend doing it and go from there...lol
November 21, 2013 at 10:42am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Ok, euro in back, green polka dot in front of that, maybe navy polka dot for her and navy with green stripe for him, cat for lily and we need to find something small like that for your grandson. Is that enough? I think so :)
November 21, 2013 at 10:44am   
bubbasgma
Maybe Kitty for chair? Somewhere I saw green polka dot chair cushion too. Some stores will send out additional email coupons if you put items in cart but not complete the purchase.

My grandson is the 4 legged variety, 18 months old, 90lbs....can't be trusted with anything! Santa is bringing him a big lump of coal!
November 21, 2013 at 10:48am        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
"Smile" and "Hug a tree", one for each bed? Kitty in chair? Thought your grandson might like the Bulldog.
November 21, 2013 at 10:54am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
How about one of these, love the alligator
November 21, 2013 at 10:58am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
My comments keep getting delayed today
November 21, 2013 at 11:02am   
kmedl
Ok, mforr - you can rest happy now because I've officially ordered the duvets and euro pillows. So the pastel bedding can go bye bye :)))))))

Haven't ordered the other pillows yet. Can't find any green polka dot ones???? I don't want too many pillows on each bed. I'm still looking at those and trying to figure it out.

I did order a lava lamp, but not the ToysRUs one. Hubby thought we should go with one a little sturdier. It has a silver base and GREEN lava. Should be here in a few days.
November 21, 2013 at 11:05am     
kmedl
No one is suggesting the Duck Dynasty pillow I saw at Target...It has navy and green (camo....)ha ha.

Don't I have to keep in mind all the different sizes of these pillows?

bubbasgma - I'm not sure if I'm keeping the wooden chair. Probably will get a beanbag chair instead.
November 21, 2013 at 11:11am     
mforr
Did you buy polka dot pillowcases from garnet hill?
November 21, 2013 at 11:13am      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Yes, I got the pillowcases, they are on back order and should be shipped out today.
November 21, 2013 at 11:21am   
mforr
Ok those are the ones I was talking about. Euro in back, garnet hill polka dot in front of it, the navy Dottie for her, navy with green stripe lumbar for him, cat for her and a small one for him, that's why I suggested the alligator from target, colors are good and it's small enough to sit in front of the navy with green stripe.
November 21, 2013 at 11:25am        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Ah ha! Those green polka dot ones...Gotcha! And the size of the cat pillow is ok? Its taller than it is wider. 12"wide 16"tall
November 21, 2013 at 11:27am     
mforr
Yes, I like the fact that it's a bit different for each of them when it comes to the small pillows in front. Up and down for her and side to side for him :))
November 21, 2013 at 11:35am        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Holy Moly, you guys think of the tiniest little details that always make the room look so good. Alrighty then, I'll order some pillows now.
November 21, 2013 at 11:42am     
bubbasgma
Love the alligator!
November 21, 2013 at 11:48am        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I ordered the navy dot pillow and cat pillow for Lilly. I ordered the navy/green lumbar pillow for Coy. Getting ready to order the alligator one for him. UPS man is going to get a workout.

Going to look at wooden letters now. Then take a nap!!!
November 21, 2013 at 12:10pm     
mforr
You deserve a nap after all the cyber shopping !!!!!
November 21, 2013 at 12:15pm      Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Did you look at the PB teen ones that bubbasgma posted a link for? They are great. :)
kmedl
alligator pillow ordered. Going to look at the PB teen letters bubbasgma found.
November 21, 2013 at 12:21pm     
kmedl
oh my...more decisions to make with the letters...will it look ok to get a different color and print style on each of their letters?
November 21, 2013 at 12:28pm     
mforr
Yes,dark blue pattern for him and bright pink for her? Pow!!!!
November 21, 2013 at 12:30pm      Thanked by kmedl
mforr
You could get a more feminine style for her if you'd like, or get same style, different colors
YIgh, yigh, yigh....Pillow fight..... whooo hooooo.... I missed all the fun *hanging head*
November 21, 2013 at 1:23pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Awww, Margo, where you been? I'll let you pick out the style for the PB letters for over their bed if you want to here's the link. Let me know what you like. I'll order

http://www.pbteen.com/products/pick-your-print-wall-letters/?transid=065883619009&cm_src=E:MYRECS
November 21, 2013 at 1:27pm     
bubbasgma
These are even larger. Pricey too, Could hubby cut some out of mdf?
November 21, 2013 at 1:29pm     
bubbasgma
kmedl, can you use some painters tape to show how big they will be on the wall?
November 21, 2013 at 1:29pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
What do you all think about these letters in a frame like this pic? The letters are only 12" high. Will they look to small on the wall above the bed?
November 21, 2013 at 1:32pm     
kmedl
I was going to order these from Etsy. They are 24" made of mdf and are unfinished. He can do them in pretty much any font.
November 21, 2013 at 1:34pm     
kmedl
Yes, I could tape up 12" over one bed to see what the PB letters would look like and the 24" ones over the other bed.
November 21, 2013 at 1:35pm     
Kmedl- how tall are the PB letters? If you go with them I agree with mforr, dark pink for Lilly and dark navy, or maybe green for Coy. I think there would be to many frames going on with these last ones you show.
November 21, 2013 at 1:36pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Saw a blog with big mdf initial. With collage of black and white snap shots of child at different ages.
November 21, 2013 at 1:44pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Here are the sizes over the beds. First pic over Coy's bed is 12". Second one is 24" over Lilly's bed. Don't you think the 12" one looks lost?
November 21, 2013 at 1:44pm     
kmedl
Actually I can get them in many different sizes if the 24" seems too large.
November 21, 2013 at 1:45pm     
18" would be perfect;)
November 21, 2013 at 1:45pm        Thanked by kmedl
I forgot, has crown moulding been discussed? It would look great;)
November 21, 2013 at 1:47pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Yes, crown moulding is in the works. Do you want me to put up tape for the 18" height to see how it looks?
November 21, 2013 at 1:49pm     
November 21, 2013 at 1:52pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
bubbasgma - very cool! I did a decoupage craft with the grandkids when they came and stayed with us for a week this past summer. I have Mod Podge lurking in the closet...
November 21, 2013 at 1:55pm     
mforr
18 sounds good :)
Hi Margo ;D
November 21, 2013 at 1:56pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Cool decoupage :)
bubbasgma
Were you hanging the letters from those PB wooden knobs? Margo, Where have you been? You missed the pillow shopping! Bang! Bang! Bang! I can't type!
November 21, 2013 at 1:57pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
ok. Too bad the PB ones were too small. I'll order some that are 18" then we can decide how to paint/decorate them
November 21, 2013 at 1:57pm     
kmedl
I can hang them from the knobs or not. I'm open to whatever!
November 21, 2013 at 1:58pm     
bubbasgma
LOL! Lava lamps and decoupage! We are showing our age.
November 21, 2013 at 1:58pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
OMG I just happened to see how many comments have been made on this post. Almost 1,000?????? Is that right? Just trying to work on this bedroom???? Yikes. Are you all tired of me yet???
November 21, 2013 at 2:02pm     
HI bubbasgma and mforr- I work part time at Fannie May Candies during the busy times. Although today was slow and I bought more candy to ship to my sister than what I made LOL and I got 50% discount. I should hang a sign on my neck *will work for food* lol
November 21, 2013 at 2:03pm     
kmedl, if we were tired of you we just wouldn't show up. You are energizing us!!!!!!
November 21, 2013 at 2:04pm        Thanked by kmedl
bellie14
Well... I am nearly 13 and as a girl, I know that people stereotypically think that we like pink. Ask your granddaughter if she actually likes pink or even ask both if them to come up with ideas! It would be nice for them too - they have decorated their own room!!
November 21, 2013 at 2:08pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
1,000 comments! We need to keep Margo in the #1 position! Margo, first Milk-duds and now Fannie May? You're killing me!
November 21, 2013 at 2:10pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
bellie14 - thank you for your input! You are absolutely right that not all girls like pink! This summer we did a project where they cut out words and phrases that describe them or things they like and we used decoupage to put them on memory boxes they took home with them. Maybe they'd like to do that with the big letters! I'll ask them.
November 21, 2013 at 2:12pm     
bubbasgma
bellie14 makes a good point! My daughter never liked pink either, she was purple and green. Never anything with flowers. Sometimes polka dots. kmedl, you have a great room going here and the kids are going to love it! Maybe for the last finishing touches the kids could choose how to do letters. And pick out their own poufs, bean bags or game chairs or .....
November 21, 2013 at 2:17pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Finally I am going tomorrow to check out the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint!!! I am so excited because I've been doing a lot of reading about the chalk paint and the process. I am going to take a drawer from the dresser and the green dot sheet with me so I can talk with them about the project.

I've been looking at various pictures of furniture painted with the CP and wanted some advice on how you'd see the finished piece looking.

Would we want it to be distressed looking? Or just painted and no distressing?
Should it be a strong green rather than a more pastel looking green?
When I apply the wax to finish it, would you see it having a darker wax like one of the pics here?

Since I have to drive over an hour to get to the closest place that sells the CP, I want to get everything I need in one trip and I'm sure they are going to ask me some questions about how I'd like to have the finished piece look. Here are some pics of the color chart (paints can be mixed to make even more colors) and pics I've found of various pieces that have been painted.

Any advice?
November 22, 2013 at 3:57pm   
kmedl
Here again are the green dot sheets.
November 22, 2013 at 3:59pm     
kmedl
Like anything about the way this one was painted? Color?
November 22, 2013 at 4:07pm     
kmedl
A few more just to get an idea of the options. The last pic has no distressing.
November 22, 2013 at 4:14pm     
kmedl
Check this out for more pics if you have time.
I kind of like the way these turned out.
http://needalattemom.blogspot.com/2012/10/antibes-green-with-wax.html
November 22, 2013 at 4:24pm     
mforr
I like the last group you just posted, looks like a nice cross between clean lined and distressed. Definitely want to green to be same as sheet or just a bit stronger but same family. Nothing pastel or minty, should have a little yellow in the green just like the sheets do. I'm so excited, wish I could come with you, it sounds like a fun learning project.
I'm sure it's going to be well worth the drive :)
Don't make the wax too dark, think it should be a bit lighter than the first ones you showed above
November 22, 2013 at 4:28pm        Thanked by kmedl
Nancy Walton
Yes, get the Antibes Greeen...
November 22, 2013 at 4:32pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Nancy - Yes, that's the one I've wondered about. So not too much distressing and no black wax, just the clear wax. Right?
November 22, 2013 at 4:49pm     
Nancy Walton
Right.
November 22, 2013 at 4:50pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I've started painting the dresser! I'm so excited about how it is looking! I will try to upload some pics but I'm having to use my phone since my laptop is in the repair shop. So let me figure out how to get the pics from my phone to here and let you see the first coat of green!
November 23, 2013 at 12:26pm     
kmedl
Here are a few pics. Its just the lighting making it look different in each photo
November 23, 2013 at 12:31pm     
kmedl
Here's the dresser before
November 23, 2013 at 12:33pm     
mforr
Woohoo!!!!!!' That looks fantastic already, what a fun piece. How did you like the "class" they gave you yesterday?
November 23, 2013 at 12:33pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Well I didn't go for the class. We just went over there today to get the paint and talk with her about it. So I've just been reading a bit online about it.
November 23, 2013 at 12:38pm     
happyasaclam
I am so jealous!!! I've been hitting the flea markets looking for a console type table to put in my entry way. Gotta start studying up on the chalk painting technique!!! Love how the dresser is turning out! :D
November 23, 2013 at 1:02pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Feel like an idiot, you told me you were going today, somehow I made today into Sunday, hooray I've now gained a day, lol. I'm very impressed with how it's turning out. What's the verdict on the knobs? I know I said white, but looking at it now, I kind of think the green might be better. What are you going to do?
November 23, 2013 at 1:41pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Don't know about the hardware yet. I guess I'll get it all finished then you guys can help decide what would go best. I'm waiting for the first coat to dry a little more then will put on a second coat. Tomorrow I'll put on the wax. I love that paint! So easy to use. Hubby really is impressed!
November 23, 2013 at 2:05pm     
Nancy Walton
I would go with white, to echo the polk-dot sheets.
November 23, 2013 at 2:05pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Wooden knobs I would paint?
November 23, 2013 at 2:07pm     
kmedl
This is the hardware that was on the dresser. The bottom 2 drawers had the cup pulls. There are 2 holes drilled in each of those drawers already, so I need to keep that in mind. I don't want to fill those holes and redrill new holes. I suppose I could spray paint that hardware if I needed to? I don't know. What are my options?
November 23, 2013 at 2:47pm     
kmedl
Forgot to attach pic :)
November 23, 2013 at 2:49pm     
mforr
I couldn't see the hardware on it when it was dark, you could hold them up against the chest, they might be ok as is. If you get a chance, take a pic :)
November 23, 2013 at 3:25pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I just painted the second coat. Tomorrow I'll take a pic of the hardware up against the dresser and see what you guys think. Also tomorrow I will put on the wax. It's looking really fantastic, I think!
November 23, 2013 at 4:23pm     
Looking good kmedl, looking good!!
November 23, 2013 at 4:26pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Hooray, tuning in tomorrow. :D
November 23, 2013 at 4:54pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Here is what the original hardware looks like on the dresser. What do you think of it? Keep in mind the bottom two drawers that have the pulls already have two holes drilled, so whatever I do needs to also have two holes for those drawers.

I'll be starting on the wax layer in a few minutes.
November 24, 2013 at 12:23pm     
mforr
I like it!!!!! Woohoo, you're almost done :D
November 24, 2013 at 12:26pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
The chalk paint looks great :)
kmedl
The hardware is good as it is???? Geez that seems too easy :)))))
November 24, 2013 at 12:28pm     
mforr
Don't knock it, it's a gift from the decorating gods, lol. They have smiled down upon your efforts and decided you may take it easy for a bit :D
November 24, 2013 at 12:38pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Was wondering how your painting was going! Love the color and the hardware. Looks great!
November 24, 2013 at 12:42pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
The painting has been very easy. That chalk paint is a dream to work with. It definitely took two coats and in some places I've put just a little bit more paint. The first coat did look very thin and showed lots of brush marks, and I was a bit worried. But the second coat covered everything up and it looked very even. When it dries, it is as smooth as silk and absolutely no brush marks. It's like magic :)))))

So now I'm heading to the garage to put on some of the wax. I'll post pics when I've got that part done.
November 24, 2013 at 1:12pm     
kmedl
Got the wax on and will let it dry overnight. Don't know how to tell if it will need a second coat of wax or not. Here's how it looks with the green dot sheets.
November 24, 2013 at 4:29pm     
Can't wait to see it in the room;)
November 24, 2013 at 4:31pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
I love the way it's turned out, it will look fantastic with the bedding and the chevron curtains. I can't wait to see it in the room either. :)
November 24, 2013 at 4:34pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Do the kids have any idea what you have been up to? I think they will be very pleased! What a TERRIFIC grandma you are, kmedl!
November 24, 2013 at 4:36pm        Thanked by kmedl
chookchook2
The pic on the right is like my paint colour on the wall. Good to see colour!
November 24, 2013 at 4:40pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
chookchook, we refer to this as lava lamp. A tad more soothing than pickle relish. ;)
November 24, 2013 at 4:43pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Both kids will be here for Thanksgiving. The clip lamps from PB teen will be here on Tues. I ordered navy for Coy and pink for Lilly. All the pillows should be arriving this week. You know the bedding is on back order until Jan. 15th, right?

The lava lamp is supposed to be here on Friday. I have not told them anything about what I've done or have ordered. Guess what Lilly writes in her letter to Santa just the other day? She wants a GREEN LAVA LAMP and that's all she wants and Mrs. Santa can pick out the rest of her presents. Boy is she going to be surprised. I really had no idea she wanted a lava lamp!

I'm still searching for the right letters for over the headboards. So it's all coming together!
November 24, 2013 at 4:48pm     
chookchook2
My paint is called Dulux Zatar Green. It is a happy colour. I showed the kids a sheet music cover with lots of greens in the pic, told them to pick one and got it matched by the paint store. Teenage son hated it so knew it was great. Scientific approach.
November 24, 2013 at 4:53pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Grandmas going to be shedding a few tears when she sees how much they'll like the room. Hope they love very single thing and can't wait to fill the picture frames. What a wonderful surprise!!! :)
November 24, 2013 at 4:54pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Hahaha, chook, you're right, that's the best way to know, when the know it all teen doesn't like it, you are on the right track. :)
November 24, 2013 at 4:55pm     
bubbasgma
It's called "grandma ESP". LOL! Set up a hidden camera so we can all share in their reaction!!
November 24, 2013 at 4:56pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Oh chook...I actually miss those days!
November 24, 2013 at 5:06pm     
chookchook2
Never miss having teens.
November 25, 2013 at 1:42am     
mkhodges
Not only is the room adorable but to do this for your gchildren is quite special. I love the lava lamp story. I am encouraged by your chalk paint experience. Ive been wanting to try it but the only store that handles near me is at least an hour away, so I have yet to explore it. congratulations on a job well done. Would love to see a pic when the kids get there. Happy Thanksgiving.
November 25, 2013 at 8:50am        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
The painted chest is back in the bedroom! Woo hoo!! I had finished the wax layer last night, but wasn't happy with the way the top of the chest looked. The rest of it looked ok. So I painted some more green on the top and will try the wax layer again.

The lava lamp arrived today! I've got it plugged in and warming up and will take a pic with it on the chest when it gets to going really good.

While I'm thinking about it, what type of shades or blinds do you think would go with the room? I've been told that I can't do any type of inside mount for shades.
November 25, 2013 at 12:50pm     
mforr
It looks so good in the room :)
If it were my room, I'd put in a navy blue relaxed roman shade, with white inset border, hung pretty high. But that could add up in $$$
What would you like to see there?
November 25, 2013 at 12:55pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I'm thinking it needs to be something that can be raised and lowered (as in a shade). I don't think I want blinds that are going to block a lot of the outside view. Something that could mostly stay raised, but then able to be lowered for privacy or to block the light. I'm guessing it would be one shade or whatever that would have to go across both windows? I'm not sure of what all the options are.
November 25, 2013 at 1:02pm     
kmedl
Another question - Do I now need some more of that green in the room somehow?
November 25, 2013 at 1:03pm     
mforr
We talked about a mirror next to closet, perhaps get one that you could paint in the same kind of finish as chest?
This is what I meant for windows, but in a casual navy twill fabric, maybe put a green inset border on that,
Hung up high so that when open, most of window is exposed, except for the top 12" or so
November 25, 2013 at 1:08pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Sort of like these, but with blue fabric with white or green border
November 25, 2013 at 1:14pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
And yes, one going across both windows :)
November 25, 2013 at 1:15pm     
syncope
I realize you're talking about shades...but what about sheers in between your curtains. They would provide some privacy along with a little light blockage. You could than do a cornice or valance over the curtains that could bring the green in by either painting a cornice or using a green fabric print. Since you've been told that shades are not a good option, sheers may be the ticket.
November 25, 2013 at 1:28pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
rngp - I think shades are still an option, they just can be installed inside each window. I was told they would need to be an outside mount.

mforr- do you open and close those types of roman shades?
November 25, 2013 at 1:32pm     
syncope
I like the playfulness of these and I believe you have considered doing crown molding in the room previously. Something in this vein could play to both.
November 25, 2013 at 1:33pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
rngp - tell me more about what those are???
November 25, 2013 at 1:37pm     
syncope
They are sample wood cornices. Basically a partial box that goes over the curtains. With the crown molding on the top, I would put them at ceiling level and extend the crown molding from each side. You could paint them whatever color and add whatever cutout or design you wanted. I would use a lightweight wood like luan and then paint.
November 25, 2013 at 1:40pm        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
The top and the bottom are open. The top would edge up to the ceiling and the curtain rod would be hidden inside the box with the curtain come from under it.
November 25, 2013 at 1:41pm        Thanked by kmedl
chookchook2
CROWN moulding !!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!
November 25, 2013 at 1:42pm        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
To get a bit more green in, I like mforr roman shades in white with the green border. Can't wait to see the Lava Lamp. Where is Margo?
November 25, 2013 at 1:45pm        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
http://www.whispardesign.com/window-treatment-cornice/33-cornice-childrens

This is a link to the site that carries the cornices. They actually are small so I think you'd want to make yours if you go this route but they show several crown cutout options that you could play off.
November 25, 2013 at 1:47pm        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
rngp, how long would those pieces be?
November 25, 2013 at 1:47pm     
kmedl
We are definitely doing crown moulding at some point. It's like the carpet...it's on the plan for after the craziness of the holidays, probably in January.

I'm not sure about sheers because wouldn't they always be there blocking the view out the window?
November 25, 2013 at 1:47pm     
kmedl
BTW - I've actually made my own cornice boards for a previous house - I mean really made them with pieces of lumber that I nailed together and then covered with batting and then fabric. So I know how to do that if I wanted to.
November 25, 2013 at 1:49pm     
syncope
Well...if you really want shades, you could do some simple one with the cornices. My concern with just the shades is that they will have to start with the ceiling height in order to keep at the same height of the curtains. And you can always pull back the sheers.

@happyasaclam... the ones pictured are too short for a complete window, but a DIY could be made whatever size to fit across the width of the window.
November 25, 2013 at 1:50pm        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
Unless you put the curtains and the sheers on double drapery rod so you could close each one independently.
November 25, 2013 at 1:51pm        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
Thanks, rngp :)
November 25, 2013 at 1:53pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Also, we do like the idea of the mirror on that wall to the left of the closet door, so that could be painted with the green if that would look good. I've got at least 1/2 a can of this green chalk paint, so watch out!
November 25, 2013 at 1:53pm     
syncope
And here is a green cornice... just for contrast
November 25, 2013 at 1:54pm        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
Personnally, though, I prefer the white..
November 25, 2013 at 1:56pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
mforr - I remember you talking a while back about some sheers from PB teen. What are you thinking about sheers now that you see the curtains up?
November 25, 2013 at 1:59pm     
mkhodges
kmedl...as I've said before, this room is great. My favorite pieces are the navy chevron curtains and the green chest, but I love all the other additions for the children. Did you say, at one time, that other guests might use this room? I'm thinking keeping it so that you can easily adjust for them. Adding a lot more "permanent" structures, even though adorable, might make it a little too juvenile. Personally, I would go with the navy shades with or without a contrasting border like mforr suggested and let the green chest (and sheets) stand alone in its greenness. That's what is so great about it to me. A mirror would be excellent but I probably would prefer frame similar to bed wood. The children might have favorite things to bring with them that will add fun interest for them....but if you need the room for other guests, just put some different pillows on beds and you're ready to welcome them too.
November 25, 2013 at 2:09pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
I think that you could use the sheers if you put them on a very easy to pull across rod, or a traverse rod so you could just pull on cord to open and close the sheers. They could be open all day, with just about 8-10 inches showing between the chevron curtains, it would look good. They do those twisty sheers in green too I think, but that might be overkill.
November 25, 2013 at 2:11pm        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
I agree, mforr. Only I was thinking just put the sheers on the same rod and not bother with closing the chevron curtains. You could use a tieback on the sheers behind the chevrons when privacy/light isn't an issue. I also agree that the green is enough on "permanent structures" though a green mirror frame to pull the color across the room wouldn't be too out of the ballpark. And as to the cornice, I think it would provide a nice finishing touch to formalize the room a bit more for the adult guests as well as the kids. There are a myriad of cutouts or designs that could be used on the cornice or you could just leave it solid and white. I did notice a white dotty sheer on PB teen that wouldn't be screaming at you but would add a little texture to the windows.
November 25, 2013 at 2:18pm        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
Again, mforr, I agree. Saw those twisty green ones but think they would be too much. If they come in white, they would be good too. (Didn't check about that. *red face*)
November 25, 2013 at 2:22pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
They come in white too :)
I did mean for the chevrons to be stationary, just to pull the sheers at night. If they're on a separate rod, they won't "disturb" the chevrons :)
November 25, 2013 at 2:24pm     
syncope
Good point, mforr.
November 25, 2013 at 2:26pm     
syncope
What do you think of the cornice idea, mforr? Am I way off base on that?
November 25, 2013 at 2:26pm     
syncope
Mediterranean Bedroom by San Francisco Architects & Designers BCV ARCHITECTS
November 25, 2013 at 2:30pm   
syncope
hmmm...that didn't work the way I thought it would
November 25, 2013 at 2:31pm     
mforr
Normally I would agree with you (sorry!!!) but I think that the chevron curtains have a very modern edge to them, it might be a little too much. But!!!!!!! How about just a small cornice of just the crown moulding that continues around the curtains? I had to do that in my living room, because the window frames were so close to the ceiling and we wanted to add crown. I'll show a pic, see what you guys think :)
November 25, 2013 at 2:32pm        Thanked by kmedl
Hi kmedl and everyone;) Dresser looks fab. I am not a curtain lover so will leave it to the fabric queens to hash out. I think the green dresser should stand alone with the green. The mirror frame to match the bed headboards. As much as those cornice boxes are adorable, to me it would be to cutesy for a guest room. Shades trump sheers;)
syncope
If kmedl decides not to do shades, I totally agree mforr. I'm just concerned that with shades there would be a gap between them and the ceiling if she starts the shades at the top of the window since she can't install them inside the frame. A cornice was the only way I could think of to cover that gap. If she uses sheers, that problem disappears.
November 25, 2013 at 2:36pm     
mforr
sorry, phone call :)
Here's what I was talking about.
November 25, 2013 at 2:42pm     
mforr
The shades could start right under the curtain rod. ? If there's no cornice, I mean
November 25, 2013 at 2:43pm   
syncope
I like that a lot. And just for clarification, where exactly would the top of the shades be if she uses them?
November 25, 2013 at 2:43pm     
kmedl
Something about sheers reminds me of my grandparent's house. It was always dark inside and no light ever came through the windows because of the sheers and heavy drapery. I'm sure sheers have come a long way since then, but that's just my memory of them - they remind me of old people...funny when I say that, because I'm no spring chicken :) So I don't just jump up and down with excitement about using them. But I do have to say that the ones from PB teen are cute. But are they too girly??

Mostly the grandkids will use the room, because we do have that other guest room. But sometimes it may be that we need the room for a guest, but not often.
November 25, 2013 at 2:44pm     
syncope
ok...you answered as I was asking...lol
November 25, 2013 at 2:44pm     
Can I say I pretty much hate sheers, there is always the exeption but I like shades. shades, shades, shades , shades , shades, shades ;)))))))
November 25, 2013 at 2:47pm        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
Ok, if the shades start at the top of the curtain rod, and to actually go up and down, this is my concern. Like Kmedl, I remember shades (as opposed to sheers) as a kid. To me, they were always a hassle because whenever I pulled them down, they would pop way up high and I couldn't reach them to get them back down. Hence, my preference for sheers. I have sheers in almost all of my rooms and too much light has not been an issue. I rarely turn on lights during the day unless it's a very dreary day. So, I guess it's just down to personal preferences and what feels most comfortable to you, kmedl.
November 25, 2013 at 2:48pm        Thanked by kmedl
Yup, I agree rngp, everything should be personal preferences. We all can't bundle;)
November 25, 2013 at 2:51pm        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
Oh, and my sheers are not white dreary boring sheers. I have red ones with wavy sheerer lines in them in one room (if I tell you the curtain colors without you seeing them, you'll think I've lost my mine but they really do look good). I have some gold heavy looking French lace ones in another but they have so many open places that the room sometimes looks lit when it's not. I also have some that are actually thousands of strands of string that sound insane but are really quite cool looking. So yes, sheers have come a long way but go for the shades if that is what makes you happy. We are here to suggest not to command so take what works and file the rest away (in file 13 if you need to :) ).
November 25, 2013 at 2:53pm        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
err...I meant not enough light in the earlier post ...not too much... I think my mind is starting to set with the sun now.
November 25, 2013 at 2:55pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
How about something like this, you can pull them up all day long, so they are only covering the top of window frame and lower at night
November 25, 2013 at 2:56pm        Thanked by kmedl
My suggestions to many Houzz posters has landed in file 13 lol
mforr
My mind also sets with the sun, lol.
November 25, 2013 at 2:57pm        Thanked by kmedl
November 25, 2013 at 3:03pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
mforr - the last pictures look like natural woven shades, like what we're planning on putting up in the guest room. So taking that same idea, can you do that with more of a fabric option instead of natural woven? Guess I'm wondering if fabric (whatever type) and trim (whatever color) would look better in this room than woven wood shades? Opinions?
November 25, 2013 at 3:06pm     
mforr
That's what I was suggesting first, in navy with white or green border. Except I was suggesting a relaxed shape, which curves downward, rather than straight across. You can do them either way. Pottery barn kids has some straight across ones on navy, if they have a good size, you could get them and have a border added.
November 25, 2013 at 3:19pm      Thanked by kmedl
mforr
These are only 64" long, my guess is you would need longer? :)
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/twill-roman-shade-boy/?pkey=cwindow-roman&
November 25, 2013 at 3:21pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I just measured. From the top of the window casing to the bottom of the window sill is exactly 60". But that doesn't take into account hanging them higher than the window casing. How high should they ideally be mounted?
November 25, 2013 at 4:02pm   
mforr
i think it should be a bit higher than just 4" above the casing
This is about as low as I would go with them
November 25, 2013 at 4:13pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
PB shades aren't going to be wide enough anyway. So if I ordered something from Smith + Noble or some place similar, ideally how high would look the best? And then assuming they had a plain fabric I liked, I could go with a navy and then add white banding. So I'm just wondering how high up to take them so I can get an idea of what the price might be.
November 25, 2013 at 4:29pm     
mforr
How about around 4-5" below the curtain rod? I would say behind it, but since it's navy it might look weird to have the white bar right in front, so a little bit below, will still keep it looking nice and tall and tidy. How high up is the curtain rod?
November 25, 2013 at 4:33pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
ceilings are 8 ft. and it's right up there 2" from the top - now that they're hung that high, I hope there's room for the crown!

And would you definitely recommend a navy with white trim vs. white with navy trim?
November 25, 2013 at 4:38pm   
kmedl
Margo - where are you? Since you love shades, do you have any places to recommend that I have some made? I know of Smith + Noble, but that's about it.
November 25, 2013 at 4:40pm     
chookchook2
She's out buying sunglasses.
November 25, 2013 at 4:42pm     
kmedl
well, chookchook2, where have you been then?
November 25, 2013 at 4:46pm     
mforr
Hmmmm, three and a half inch crown, might have to check that. I looked at some pics online, I hated the ones where the two treatments are at the same level, this looks a bit better, less flat
Don't pay attention to the rest, just the difference in heights
November 25, 2013 at 4:47pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
She's been floating on a boat with pandas and silkworms, very long story, isn't it Chook?
November 25, 2013 at 4:48pm   
Nancy Walton
Blinds.com has the relaxed Roman shades.
November 25, 2013 at 4:48pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Why not try American blinds and wallpaper, they probably do roman shades. Or budget blinds
November 25, 2013 at 4:50pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Hi nancy :)
November 25, 2013 at 4:51pm   
mforr
Nancy, what do you think of height for the roman shades?
November 25, 2013 at 4:52pm   
Nancy Walton
I would like to see them the same height as the draperies, with no wall showing. Because the wall is that greenish-yellow, you see.
November 25, 2013 at 4:56pm        Thanked by kmedl
JCPenney has shades. They also have a custom service;)
November 25, 2013 at 6:29pm        Thanked by kmedl
I think when you put your crown moulding up you should put the curtains and the shades right under it at the same height like in this picture. rest arrow on pic to enlarge

November 25, 2013 at 6:35pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
The clip lights for the beds arrived today, along with the alligator pillow. They also sent the lumbar pillow from PBkids but sent the wrong one so I had to have them send me the right one. So here's how the lamps look. The alligator pillow is adorable and will look better when the new bedding gets here :)
November 26, 2013 at 12:12pm     
mforr
I love the alligator, look at that little face, lol
It will look wonderful all together. The lights are great too, the grandkids are going to love them. :)
Coming together :)
November 26, 2013 at 12:21pm        Thanked by kmedl
It must seem like Christmas every day kmedl;) Love the alligator pillow!!!!
November 26, 2013 at 1:34pm      Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
Where's the lava lamp? I've been waiting......... *:D*
November 26, 2013 at 1:56pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I've just put the lamp on the chest and turned it on. I had to put another coat of wax on the chest, so I held off putting anything on it until just now. So I'll let it warm up and take a pic in an hour or so. Here's the latest on the lava lamp...when it got here it had wax marks all along the inside bottom of the lamp that didn't go away when I turned it on last night. Called the lamp store where I bought it, and they're sending me a new one and told me to keep this one. So now, two lava lamps in our house. Hubby says groovy, baby ha ha
November 26, 2013 at 3:21pm     
kmedl
Here's a pic of the lava lamp - not quite heated up enough, but you get the idea!
November 26, 2013 at 4:13pm     
happyasaclam
I love it! The kids will too. I bet they won't know what groovy means, though :D
November 26, 2013 at 5:51pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
The cat pillow got here today. Love it! On the other hand, the blue dot pillow isn't looking right, to me anyway. It is not navy as they showed it on the PBteen site. It is more of a slate blue??? So here are a few pics for you to look at. Should I send it back?
November 27, 2013 at 10:20am   
kcooz07
Love the lava lamp and cat pillow! Agree with you that the blue isn't the right shade.
November 27, 2013 at 10:27am        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Meow!! Love it! And unfortunately the blue does look washed out. Do the gkids come today??? Can't wait to hear about their reaction!
November 27, 2013 at 10:31am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Wow, definitely send it back, that's so off!! Can't believe it looked so different online. That had to be the worst representation vs reality I've seen yet.
Cat looks adorable, she should love it :)
November 27, 2013 at 10:34am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Ok, we must find a nice individual pillow for her bed. In navy. Did the striped one come in yet, for the boy bed?
November 27, 2013 at 10:35am      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
So here's the story on the striped pillow for Coy's bed. It came yesterday and when I opened it, I thought I don't remember it having a yellow diagonal stripe. So I looked it up online, and they sent me the wrong one. Strange because it was in plastic with the right name on it. Anyway, PB said they'll ship me the right one in 2 days. Said I should keep the blue/yellow stripe one. Well I don't really like it, and don't think it looks good in the room, but I've taken a pic of it for you to decide.

Here's another thing to consider. The green on the alligator isn't really in the same shade as the sheets or dresser, although it looks good on the bed, I think. So maybe we wait and see what pillow they send me this time and then decide what to do about his bed.

Lilly's bed definitely needs a different pillow to go behind the cat one. Oh - the green dot pillow cases came today. Well, here are a few pics. Put one in there of the PB navy pillow online and then what I really got :(((((

Lilly comes tonight and Coy tomorrow. Will tell you what they think of the room.
November 27, 2013 at 11:47am     
mforr
No, that's not good, that's the way we were getting the green around the room in little bits. And hers is definitely wrong !!! There's no way that's a bad photo, the one online is definitely navy, not that light slate blue color. Their pic is a dark black navy. Maybe they made mistake? Or that's all they had left, so they threw that in box and sent it? Badly done either way. You should complain to customer service, let them know how much you've ordered from all the PB family. And that's a big family of companies, try to get some satisfaction if you can. Maybe you'll at least get more coupons or a gift card. :)
November 27, 2013 at 11:53am      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Ok, I'll call them and see what they say about the blue dot one. They told me just to keep the yellow stripe one, but what am I going to do with it??? It needs the lumbar insert, and I sure don't want to pay for another insert to go in that one. Anyone need a pillow? lol

We'll take a break for Thanksgiving and then get back to figuring out the beds.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
November 27, 2013 at 12:18pm     
mforr
Have a Happy Thanksgiving !!!
Just a couple things to look at for whenever you're ready :)
http://www.etsy.com/listing/150593107/monogrammed-lumbar-pillow-cover-navy-and?ref=market
November 27, 2013 at 12:33pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Wow, love those!!! Very nice!! So I'm trying to remember how we had the pillows arranged. In the back were the euro pillows which are white with navy trim, then the green dot pillowcases and then we need something for both beds -and in the front we have the alligator on his bed and on her bed the cat?
November 27, 2013 at 1:13pm     
mforr
Yes, that's the line up, and it's fine that the two outermost pillows will be different on each bed.
I love that print bubbasgma, that's so much fun, and great colors :)
November 27, 2013 at 1:19pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Ha Ha Ha That's adorable and definitely what my dog loves to do - go in the car and ride with his head hanging out the window! Might have to have that print :)
November 27, 2013 at 1:19pm     
kmedl
mforr - so which of those etsy pillows are you thinking?
November 27, 2013 at 1:20pm     
mforr
Up to you, if you'd like the navy lumbar for the kitty and the green square with the alligator, it would look pretty good, as long as they'll do a navy letter on the green chevron, if they will do both pillows in the lumbar size, even better :)
November 27, 2013 at 1:28pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
ok. I'll spend some time looking around on that site to see what I can come up with.
November 27, 2013 at 2:06pm     
Cynthia Martin
Your gkids are going o flip out. This is so cool . Looks great.
I have followed three of your threads and they are awesome.
The followers have done a great job and are so supported.

I'm looking forward to the finished product.
November 27, 2013 at 4:00pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Lilly loves the lava lamp and everything about the "new" room!
November 28, 2013 at 2:59pm     
mforr
Does she think you're the best grandparents ever???!!!!!
Happy Thanksgiving!! I'm so glad it's a hit :)
November 28, 2013 at 5:22pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
November 28, 2013 at 8:02pm        Thanked by kmedl
Gobble- gobble;)
November 28, 2013 at 8:05pm        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
kmedl! She's a cutie! The room looks wonderful. Hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving. I hope all my Houzzer buds have a Great Thanksgiving!
November 28, 2013 at 9:18pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Special hello to bubbasgma, thanks to you especially :)
November 28, 2013 at 9:25pm     
bubbasgma
No thanks necessary, mforr. Hope you were able to have an enjoyable day complete with many delicious treats!
November 28, 2013 at 9:40pm     
mforr
After a rocky start, I had a lovely day :)
Full of delicious treats and a wonderful time with my family :)
I hope you had a good day today, thank you again, yup, it's necessary :)
Can't believe anything you read in the papers these days, but I don't want to beleaguer the point ;)
November 28, 2013 at 9:45pm     
jancy22
Hi you can try with pink color.
November 28, 2013 at 9:50pm   
jancy22
and for boy you can go with Fresh violet
November 28, 2013 at 9:51pm   
bubbasgma
Best to let the nonsense go.
Lucky to have my son home this week. He helped clean up after the roofers and chiseled away at my to-do list!!! It's the first chance he has had to visit since we flooded last spring and I'm feeling VERY thankful. :)
November 28, 2013 at 10:01pm     
bubbasgma
Bwahaha! SMH! Taking Bubba out to see if there's a full-moon!
November 28, 2013 at 10:06pm     
bearbearlee
I would paint the walls a Butter Cream color. It would bring out the color of the furniture as well as match the bedding.
November 28, 2013 at 11:03pm   
syncope
Thank you Decorise on your totally irrelevant spam for this thread. Obviously, you saw a picture at the beginning and didn't bother even checking out the update pictures that have been posted throughout. This type of marketing technique is quite counterproductive since, if you don't bother to read the all the posts, it is a clear indication you won't listen to all your customer's needs. I appreciate pros who add to the conversation and to the ideas, you just added an ad.
November 29, 2013 at 6:35am        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
When you get the chance, kmedl, tell us how Coy like his new bed! What did the the of the family think!?! My sister-in-law gave me a cute bench with storage in the seat. It's painted a funky berry color, but not for long! I'm going to study the chaulk paint colors and order the paint! You're my inspiration hero!!!! This has been such a lovely thread to follow :)
November 29, 2013 at 8:28am        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
mforr, I hope you have a wonderful day today :)
November 29, 2013 at 8:30am        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Quite interesting to me that someone would post a comment on a thread that has over 1,000 comments and they wouldn't think it necessary to read what has already been completed on the project. Thanks to the Houzzers who read what has been posted and then offer appropriate comments. Your input is what has made this room come together so well.
November 29, 2013 at 8:34am     
kmedl
Coy loved the lava lamp and now wants one for Christmas. So we were all online looking at the lava lamps! He also loved the alligator pillow and said the curtains were cool. Pretty good comment for an 8 yr old boy!!

Family was impressed! They can't believe you guys give out all this help and spend the time you do online working with people on their rooms. :)))))
November 29, 2013 at 8:44am     
bubbasgma
Maybe they meant....pink butter cream on half the cake, and violet butter cream on the other half? I like the furry round rug tho...it wouldn't show the dog hair! ;)
November 29, 2013 at 8:47am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Have a happy, have a happy, have a happy as happyasaclam ;D
Thank you happy, you have a lovely holiday weekend, I love the chalk paint enthusiasm, save a piece of furniture (or as my phone just put it, save a piece of diluting ure, lol )
It's great to keep something and give it new life :)
Sounds like everything is a big hit, kmedl, how did they like the guest room and guest bath? Was it the first time they saw those rooms? Isn't it exciting to show off your accomplishments? Almost as good as the feeling when you complete them :)
November 29, 2013 at 8:55am        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
We just moved out of a house that still had one room with green shag carpeting (authentic and orginal) and I said I never wanted to see shag again! We went looking for rugs and I saw a white shag rug and gagged! Well, after seeing them all over Houzz I'm thinking about one for our living room!
November 29, 2013 at 9:01am     
mforr
And another happy :)

November 29, 2013 at 9:01am     
mforr
Hahahahaha, uh oh, the shag bug bites again!!!
November 29, 2013 at 9:02am     
kmedl
Update on the PB blue pillow with the green stripe - remember they sent me the wrong pillow? It had navy and a yellow diagonal stripe? So I had called PB and they sent me another one. It arrived today and was the wrong one again!! Another navy one with a yellow stripe GRRRRRR. So after 25 min. with PB, they say they are sending me the right one this time. I sure hope I like the navy/green one (if it ever gets here)!

Now that all the company is gone, I should have some time to look at those pillows from Etsy.
November 30, 2013 at 4:20pm     
mforr
It seems if a company messes up an order once, they're doomed to mess it up a few times in a row. Lets hope they met the mistake quota already and get this right!!!!!! Have a good night, hope you had a good time with your family :)
November 30, 2013 at 5:44pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I'm rethinking whether or not to put their initial above each headboard. What would some other options be? I really like the cute print that bubbasgma found of the dogs in the car. How would some art over each bed look? I just can't seem to find the right letters and when something just isn't working out, I start to wonder if that's for a reason. Anyway, just wondered if anything else might work above the headboards. I'm heading to bed now, but will check in tomorrow.
November 30, 2013 at 7:13pm     
mforr
I really liked the art that bubbasgma found for you, that would be great over the beds. I'll have to go back and take a look at what options they had. You certainly don't need to stick to the initials. The artwork would be a lot more fun :)
November 30, 2013 at 7:28pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Here's the artists page on art.com, many options to look at tomorrow, see you then :)
Good night!!
http://www.art.com/asp/search_do.asp/_/posters.htm?searchstring=Ron%20burns&SSK=Ron%20burns&WT.oss=Ron%20burns
November 30, 2013 at 7:31pm      Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Kind of loving these two, bubbasgma original pic, and this beauty in the pink Cadillac :)
November 30, 2013 at 7:34pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Art for a guest room used by kids and adults is a real challenge. I'm loving the dogs, too! They make me smile. Green over Coy's bed and pink over Lilly's.
November 30, 2013 at 8:02pm        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
mforr, If Judy and Barbra singing together doesn't make you happy, nothing will! I miss variety shows so much. The comedy, the singing and the laughing. Now we have Reality tv. I think comedy, singing and laughing is Reality :D . Thanks mforr :)))))
November 30, 2013 at 8:17pm     
simmermom
Y'all, I love this discussion so much and I've been enjoying seeing the amazing room! But all the email notifications for each comment are destroying my email's inbox. Is there any way to not get email notifications? I heard that there was supposed to be some sort of button at the bottom of the post but I'm not seeing it anywhere...
November 30, 2013 at 8:29pm     
happyasaclam
Below my post you should see a line written in green that says Click to switch off notification about new comments > .
November 30, 2013 at 8:42pm     
simmermom
Oh my word!! That was not there before, I promise. I feel like I'm going crazy haha! But seriously, I don't think it was! Anyways, thank you!
And kmedl - how thrilling that your granddaughter wanted a green lava lamp! I bet that just made your day and totally increased your excitement for her to come for Thanksgiving :) Everything is looking really nice!
November 30, 2013 at 9:10pm        Thanked by kmedl
northernchic
I had the boys bedding in my sons room and did a Benjamin apple green color. I wish I could remember the name! If you are interested I will try to find it!
December 1, 2013 at 10:59am   
kmedl
If I decided to do some art above their beds, should both prints be the same size? And landscape or portrait orientation? And should they be by the same artist so the style is the same or does that not matter? I like the dogs in the car print by Ron Burns, but Lilly is a cat girl and a print of dogs above her bed wouldn't really fit her.
December 1, 2013 at 11:38am     
bubbasgma
With so much else going on in the room, my personal preference would be to use art by the same artist over both beds. I like that the green car pulls in the green color and the pink color matches the pink in Lilly's sheets. The "brightness" of both seem to match the brightness of the chalk paint. Oh, and if the green is over Coy's and the pink is over Lilly's the orientation of both cars is toward the center window. Ahaha....I can't decide between drywall and beadboard in my demo-ed basement....but I can write a thesis on pictures for over your beds!
December 1, 2013 at 11:58am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
How about this one ?
December 1, 2013 at 12:13pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
If you look at the link I posted yesterday, there are a few kitties. I don't think they have to be oriented the same way, as long as size is similar :)
December 1, 2013 at 12:15pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
I would think in terms of art that fits the overall color and mood of the room vs. who will be occupying the bed? It's easy to change out pillows when non-kiddos are using room, but a bit harder to remove art work. If you would still like more personalized items for gkids, maybe a special stuffed animal or 2 that could be tucked away when other company comes?
December 1, 2013 at 12:16pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I really do like the dog in the green truck and I was looking at some of the cats that he has done but noticed that none of those seemed to be the same orientation as the dog one. So it's ok if his is more landscape and hers is more of a portrait orientation?

You think these 2 would work even though they go in opposite directions?
December 1, 2013 at 12:33pm   
bubbasgma
What about dogs over each bed. And a kitty over by the rocker? p.s.-30% off thru today
December 1, 2013 at 12:47pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
sorry...i'm loving the pink in the cadillac.
December 1, 2013 at 12:48pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Bubbasgma - I do love it as well. Maybe I'll just do it that way. As long as I put a cat in there somewhere, she'll be happy!
December 1, 2013 at 12:59pm     
kmedl
Ok, what color for frames?
December 1, 2013 at 1:03pm     
bubbasgma
kmedl- What color are your headboards? And the other frames are navy? I haven't done any framing in a longggg time. My youngest is an artist and I leave that up to her. Not sure how their pricing compares to others. Is it a good value? Do you have a Hobby Lobby? They run lots of coupons for framing.
December 1, 2013 at 1:30pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
They might be good with white frames, let the art stand out :)
See what the size is and price it out at mic heals or hobby lobby, but there is a sale at art.com, so you might do ok. White mat, white frame?
December 1, 2013 at 1:39pm      Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Kmedl, come back!!!!!! I want you to get that 40% off!!!!!!!!!!! Hurry!!!! ;D
December 1, 2013 at 1:50pm      Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Sweet deal, mforr!!! Good job!!
December 1, 2013 at 1:54pm     
kmedl
I'm here! Had to take the dog for his walk. Wow, mforr, thanks for the coupon! I was looking at the prints with white mat and white frame since I already have the navy frames on the wall right next to lilly's bed. Are you sure that's not going to be too many frames? Give me your honest opinions, which do you like better - initial over their bed or the dog art?
December 1, 2013 at 2:21pm     
kmedl
And are you sure the prints aren't going to make the room too busy?
December 1, 2013 at 2:23pm     
Hands down the dog art;))))))))
December 1, 2013 at 2:26pm        Thanked by kmedl
I should have said Paws LOL
December 1, 2013 at 2:27pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Bubba says Woof, Woof.
December 1, 2013 at 2:30pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
For both pictures with mat and frame and mforr's 40%%%%%%% coupon it would be $200. Does that sound reasonable?
December 1, 2013 at 2:37pm     
kmedl
Hi Margo!
December 1, 2013 at 2:38pm     
Still sounds expensive to me?? I am kinda cheap but the dogs ARE cool;)
December 1, 2013 at 2:39pm        Thanked by kmedl
Hi Kmedl;)
December 1, 2013 at 2:39pm     
mforr
Wood, wood, woof!!!!!! Definitely the artwork :)
December 1, 2013 at 2:40pm     
mforr
Hahaha, wood, wood!!!
I think it's very cool looking, it's colorful and happy for the kids, but they're great for grown ups too. You loved the dog hanging out the truck immediately, so I think it had universal appeal. Yes, it's a bit expensive, but unless you find something that's super appealing to you from Marshall's or homegoods, you won't do much better price wise :)
December 1, 2013 at 2:43pm   
kmedl
I could just get the dog prints and then shop around for frames. I can get to a Michaels but not a Hobby Lobby.

BTW, one print is 25x25 and the other is 25x19. Will that look ok if they are slightly different?
December 1, 2013 at 2:45pm     
mforr
Yes, because the subject matter is similar. You can look, but better do it before you order. Mic heals always seems like a good idea, until you go and get it done. Even with coupon it manages to add up. So, if the coupon is still good tomorrow, go find out how much from Michael's, if you can't do better, might as well get it from art.com
December 1, 2013 at 2:52pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Ok, going to order the prints tonight for sure. It would be easier for me to order it all framed, but hubby thinks that's too much. So, I will get the prints now and I'll probably end up paying the same amount (or more) to get them framed some place else, but by then he'll have forgotten how much it cost :) Men.......
December 1, 2013 at 2:57pm     
mforr
Heeheehee, that's a familiar tune, lol ;D
Sounds good, as long as you get what you want. Is the 25" the framed size or the print itself?
December 1, 2013 at 3:04pm      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I believe that was the framed size. I did order just the 2 prints and thanks, mforr, for the coupon!
December 1, 2013 at 3:37pm     
bubbasgma
unframed dimensions look to be 24x18 (truck) and 18x24 (cadi).
December 1, 2013 at 3:47pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
You're so welcome :) anytime. Not sure if it can be used more than once, l'll delete it now, and if you need it tomorrow, I'll repost it :)
December 1, 2013 at 3:47pm      Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
Woof? Woof? Woof?
December 6, 2013 at 2:06pm     
I thought I would find bubbasgma hanging out in kmedl's guest room lol waiting to get a sneak peaK at the dog artwork LOL
December 6, 2013 at 2:07pm        Thanked by kmedl
Kmedl- where are you?
December 6, 2013 at 2:08pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
She's been getting very, very friendly with that UPS man! Just sayin!
December 6, 2013 at 2:21pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
:D
December 6, 2013 at 5:38pm     
kmedl
Hey guys! I'm here! I am waiting patiently for the dog prints to arrive. Just been sort of stuck on doing anything else until they get here. Been online ordering Christmas presents for the grandkids so I could keep the UPS man comin' to the house, bubbasgma :)))))))))
December 6, 2013 at 5:41pm     
bubbasgma
LOL! I ordered my mom a garden scooter thingamajig......but my fed ex guy had to hurry and leave cuz the hot-rodder from down the street wouldn't stop honking his horn. =(
December 6, 2013 at 6:14pm   
kmedl
happyasaclam - If you are still out there, I wanted to update you on the chalk paint. You know I had the grandkids coming for Thanksgiving so I put the lava lamp and a few other things back on the chest. I was worried that it was too soon to put anything on it, and it turns out I was right. The lava lamp left marks plus the kids had put things on it and left scuff marks.

So I decided to sand just the top and repaint with 2 coats. Then I applied a new coat of wax and waited 24 hours before applying the second wax coat. I did a lot of reading about the waxing part and found out that some pieces can take a month or more for the wax to dry and become hard enough to protect the surface. I'm going to leave everything off the top of the chest until Christmas, when company returns again.

The painting part is super easy and quick. The waxing part is tricky. I know you mentioned that you are going to do your piece, so before you start on the waxing process, check back with me and I'll give you a few tips I picked up from my online reading and what I learned from painting this chest.
December 6, 2013 at 7:35pm     
kmedl
mforr- I did returned the blue dot pillow to PB. Also they are supposed to be sending me a third navy pillow with the green stripe. They told me they are personally going to check the order before it is shipped to make sure I'm getting the right pillow. So I'm waiting on that to get here. I really do like the Etsy site you found for the pillows and plan to order one for Lilly's bed, but she's not taking any orders until after Christmas.

I'll send a pic when the navy/green pillow gets here for Coy's bed.
December 6, 2013 at 7:39pm     
kmedl
Hi Margo!
December 6, 2013 at 7:40pm     
Hi kmedl!
December 6, 2013 at 7:41pm     
happyasaclam
I'm still here! Thanks for the heads up on the dry time. I haven't purchased it yet. A couple of stores in Tyler TX (about 75 miles from me) have demonstrations fairly often - I've been keeping an eye on the Annie Sloan site - so I'll be going to go to one so I can see all the colors in person. I don't like the thought of trying to choose one online. Keep posting pictures for us :))
December 7, 2013 at 7:41am        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I know the dog prints will be here any day, and good thing, because I'm getting restless wanting to work on the room. So while I wait, I thought I'd work on filling the blue frames with some pictures of the kids. I never could get them to do some art for me, but I did take lots of photos, so I'll pick some of those.

So here's my question...should I print out the pics in black and white or do everything in color?
December 8, 2013 at 3:20pm     
mforr
Hi kmedl :)
I think that the photos might look nice if you did then in black and white but colorized some portions of them. There are ton of programs and apps that you can use to do this. The kids would probably love the way they look.
December 8, 2013 at 4:03pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
I'm not familiar with what you mean by colorized portions of them. Can you show me an example or give me a link for a program?
December 8, 2013 at 4:05pm     
mforr
You know I'm gathering them, lol
Here you go :)
December 8, 2013 at 4:10pm     
mforr
:)
December 8, 2013 at 4:10pm     
kmedl
Ok, very cool looking! So if I search for how to colorize a photo, I should find some info to help me??
December 8, 2013 at 4:18pm     
mforr
Here's an example, not well done, but I'm working on my phone. :)
December 8, 2013 at 4:18pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Yes, look up how to colorize a black and white photo. Should be a lot of advice. I used an app called photo studio :)
December 8, 2013 at 4:20pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Now I do have to figure out how you're doing that!!!
December 8, 2013 at 4:21pm     
mforr
I actually just painted black and white over the photo, and cleaned up the edges a bit :)
December 8, 2013 at 4:21pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Do you like the effect? I think it's good that it won't detract from the dog art, but won't be too black and white and maybe boring.
December 8, 2013 at 4:22pm        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
That would be so awesome! Great idea, mforr! :))
December 8, 2013 at 4:38pm     
mforr
Thanks happy :))
December 8, 2013 at 4:47pm     
happyasaclam
You are very welcome :D
December 8, 2013 at 4:53pm     
kmedl
How is it I learn such neat stuff from you guys! And you're always giving me new things to do :))))
December 8, 2013 at 4:55pm     
mforr
We want you to be happy and busy!!!! And never have time to be bored, lol.
Did you tell hubby? What does he think?
December 8, 2013 at 5:01pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Yes, I showed him. He thinks it's great because it keeps me busy figuring out how to do this stuff and of course he had to add that if it's free that's all the better. Now he's back to football world :)
December 8, 2013 at 5:16pm     
bubbasgma
You guys are having fun again!!!
December 8, 2013 at 5:20pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Bubbasgma!!! You're waking up now!!! Caffeine finally kicked in?
December 8, 2013 at 5:44pm     
bubbasgma
LOL! Goofed around with the pot until it was late enough to go to my #2 addiction...Dr Pepper. Have borrowed a pot to act as a stand-in while I do further investigation for a permanent replacement! How's your weather looking? We've gotten about 2 inches so far.
December 8, 2013 at 5:51pm     
mforr
Me too, it's not doing anything now, knock on wood, hope the freezing rain isn't coming :)
I posted a coffee machine for you on the other thread, maybe it's a good fit for both of you :)
December 8, 2013 at 5:55pm     
simmermom
I don't normally like the color pop b&w, but I LOVE the idea for this!! It'll be so fun!!
December 8, 2013 at 9:12pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Updates...
I called Art.com to find out where the dog prints are. Turns out they don't know what happened to the order - can't find it anywhere - so I had to reorder them again. They're supposed to be here some time next week.

Called PBkids to find out where the navy/green stripe pillow is that they were supposed to send me for the third time - turns out they don't even have that pillow to sell even though it was on their website. They said they had cancelled the order. Don't know how I was going to find that out, no one bothered to send an email. So, no navy/green pillow from PBkids.

I am going to go back to the shop on Etsy that mforr found for me and see about ordering from her. She's not taking orders until after Christmas, but that's ok. It will give me time to figure out what I want.

I have been trying to figure out how to colorize the B and W pics of the grandkids. I've downloaded a few free apps and a free trial of Photoshop to see what I could do. The apps I found are all too basic and the results look like a 1st grader colored the pics :) The Photoshop is tooooooo complicated for me to spend time on - geez, I'd have to take a course online to figure it out. But I'm still researching how to get the pics colorized.

Didn't want you all to think I had given up on the room and gone away! I'll let you know when the dog prints get here!
December 14, 2013 at 11:46am     
mforr
PB KIDS really let you down, didn't they? How ridiculous to have a pillow online and not even have it in inventory. Badly done. :(
Hopefully the woman on the etsy site will be able to come through for you, if she can do the colors you'd like, you'll be in great shape. You could probably go to a photo shop or print shop and have the black and white colorization done for you professionally. But, I'll bet you could probably figure out how to work one of the slightly more difficult apps out there. Thank you for updating us :)
How are your holiday preps coming along?
What are we waiting for on the guest bath project?
December 14, 2013 at 12:00pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Ahhh, Christmas preps...tree's up, decorations up, holiday cards mailed, gifts purchased, now working on the menus. So it's good! How about you?

We're thinking the guest bathroom is pretty much done. We were going to get the other color of the RH shower curtain but have decided we like what we have in there. We're still deciding whether or not to put something on the wall over the toilet. I did hang the 4 pictures on the long wall and like how that looks. We are really just soooo pleased with how it turned out. LOVE the slate even more than I thought I would. Every person who walks in there is shocked with the difference in the before/after. Love how much you guys helped us with it.

And by the way, the same is true with the guest bedroom. It just makes me smile every time I go in there because it's just so pretty and relaxing and peaceful all at the same time. Now that I think about it, hubby and I should sleep in there once in a while just for a change of scenery **wink wink**

We'll have to start working on our master after the holidays! Can't wait to get some feedback for that room :)
December 14, 2013 at 3:02pm     
mforr
Oooh, like an after Christmas present for us too, can't wait to work on another room. You should have little "bed and breakfast" nights and mornings in the guest room once in a while. Shouldn't only be the guests enjoying your efforts.
December 14, 2013 at 3:05pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
I love slate too :)
All my decorating is done, shopping is not, out and about tomorrow, too snowy today. :(
Hope to not have anything left after that but the food preps a couple days before Christmas. Have you posted your tree on houzz anywhere? Or any wreaths? There's a lot of discussions about decorations.
December 14, 2013 at 3:09pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Haven't posted anything Christmas related. I love my tree and decorations, but to post mine, I think I'd be a bit intimidated by all the décor that is so perfect looking and professionally done. Unless, of course, people want to see pics of how us "regular" people decorate :)))
December 14, 2013 at 4:39pm     
mforr
I've seen all kinds of decorations. People are so individual. Besides, there's never such a thing as an ugly Christmas tree. All of them are beautiful. :)
December 14, 2013 at 4:45pm        Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
kmedl-I've seen your photos! You have worked so hard!! Your home is BEAUTIFUL!!! There's lots of "regular" folks on here! My daughter and I are going to hang ornaments from the totes my brother moved up to the living room when our basement flooded last spring! Come join in one of the fun threads? Lots of chances to post fun pics there!
December 14, 2013 at 4:56pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
bubbasgma - Which holiday threads?
December 14, 2013 at 5:11pm     
mforr
December 14, 2013 at 5:23pm     
kmedl
So happy to finally get the dog poster package today - only to find that they sent me a Salvador Dali poster instead of one of the dog posters :( Back on the phone with art.com to get the right one sent... Salvador Dali? Don't think 8 yr old grandkids would understand a poster called Metamorphosis of Narcissus.

Anyone else having internet order mix ups more than usual? This is the fourth screw-up from 4 different companies just in the last few months. Starting to test my patience!!
December 18, 2013 at 9:59am     
bubbasgma
LOL! Oh my gosh! Makes you wonder doesn't it!
December 18, 2013 at 10:19am        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
oh noooo....if they don't get it right...try allposters.com... or maybe wait till tomorrow and i'll let you know if they messed up my order. And well, I did have one screwup with overstock.com but they are fixing it. I had ordered a bedside carafe that said "Drink Me" and got one with an anchor instead. Other than that though, I've been very pleased with both service and quality online this year.
December 18, 2013 at 11:27am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Uh oh, I just came home to a package from PB. I haven't opened it yet, thought I'd look on houzz first. Now I don't want to open the box!!!! I guess I'd better go have a look see. Fingers crossed. :)
December 18, 2013 at 11:45am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Hi, hi and hi :)
kmedl
Art.com told me just to keep the Dali poster which is funny because in my college days I had that one poster of his in black and white with the birds that flew into each other. Does anyone know the one I'm talking about?? Well back then I thought it was pretty cool. Can you say hippy apartment lol!! 40 years later, I buy dog prints........
December 18, 2013 at 12:04pm     
syncope
lol...kmedl...I have two Dali prints in my computer room...and my daughter gave me a knockoff clock that hangs over the edge of a table/shelf/whatever similar to his melting clock. He's one of my favorite artists...along with Monet, Toulouse Lautrec, Edward Cooper and some of Van Gogh's later works. I'm a hodgepodge mess.
December 18, 2013 at 12:07pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
How does the dog print that you did receive look?
December 18, 2013 at 12:10pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Well then, sounds like i need to mail this poster to you!!! For free!!! Right now!!!!
December 18, 2013 at 12:12pm     
syncope
hehehe...you're a dear..but if you could see my room...not a spot to put it on...:)
December 18, 2013 at 12:13pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
rngp - darn! Ok, everyone, who wants a Dali poster for free????
December 18, 2013 at 12:17pm     
kmedl
The good news is that art.com said they would get the right one out in the next day or two and then overnight it to me. The one that we did get looks GREAT with the colors in the room.
December 18, 2013 at 12:21pm     
syncope
I just read what you said about 8 year olds not understanding the Dali print. Not saying keep it but you might be surprised by their appreciation of his art as a whole. I took my kids to the Dali museum in St Pete, Fl, when my oldest was about that age and my youngest around 5. They both still remember the museum and they were fascinated by his art. Both of them tagged along and made some very astute comments (for their age of course) about his work. I think the colors and shapes intrigue them a lot and it might be fun for you to keep it to show to your grandkids just to see what they say. They may surprise you.
December 18, 2013 at 12:22pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Will we see it? Or are you waiting to do the reveal? :)
December 18, 2013 at 12:26pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
So true, they're very impressionable at that age, better it be some interesting artwork than a cartoon or video game :)
December 18, 2013 at 12:27pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
mforr- The colors of the print are really bold and match perfectly with the room so far. Hubby held it up for me to look at it above one of the beds. Love it! When both are framed and above each bed, it will probably be the first thing you'll notice when you walk in the room. Plus the dogs are just so darned cute. Win win!!

You'll have to wait to see them up until I get them framed!
December 18, 2013 at 12:30pm     
syncope
Both of them have highly developed senses of what they like and I have finally convinced my son that Houzz is a great spot for inspiration and swapping ideas. I'm pretty certain he won't be joining in discussions but he's ready to start making some changes at his home and I can't wait for us to start doing research together so that we can move forward on the project. My daughter has a fabulous design sense and can take rubber bands and make them look cool and rich. She gets bored at work and makes silly things out of folders, etc. So creative.
December 18, 2013 at 12:34pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Hahaha, it's a deal!! I love a good surprise, I can't wait :)
I'm so pleased that they go with the colors in the room, another home run for you and hubby :)
mforr
It's good to be able to share your interests with your kids, rngp :)
December 18, 2013 at 12:35pm        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
it certainly is. Only fair though. I started playing video games because it was the only way I could find anything to talk about with them for a while there....hehehe
December 18, 2013 at 12:37pm     
mforr
Hahaha, me too, I'm a whiz at Nintendo ;D
December 18, 2013 at 12:40pm     
syncope
Can't work a controller to save my life...but pc games are fun
December 18, 2013 at 12:41pm     
syncope
We try to find multiplayer games that we can play over the net
December 18, 2013 at 12:42pm     
mforr
I used to hate playing games on the computer, they used to be slow and "sticky" so the controller became my friend. I'm a great Mario Kart racer, lol. The kids loved the Zelda games too.
December 18, 2013 at 12:45pm     
syncope
You got in on it earlier than I did...I just started within the last 5-6 years. We play Marvel Heroes, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, etc. And ooops, we have really gone off topic here. Sorry, kmedl.
December 18, 2013 at 12:47pm     
mforr
I don't think kmedl minds that we went off the grid for a few minutes. She's cool like that :)
Thank you kmedl :))
December 18, 2013 at 12:51pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Naaaah, I don't mind. Love you guys for all you have done for me !!
December 18, 2013 at 1:11pm     
happyasaclam
This thread is the happiest thread on Houzz. I love it! What I also love is how your hubby has gotten so excited and jumped in to help, kmedl. What a sweety he be must be!
December 18, 2013 at 1:30pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
He's a good one, for sure. We've been married for 37 years and he still keeps me laughing every day.
December 18, 2013 at 1:52pm     
mforr
You two are great :)
December 18, 2013 at 5:54pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Hey everyone! Happy New Year! In the continuing saga of getting the right prints for the room, here's the latest....Remember they had sent me a Dali print instead of one of the dog ones. So they reshipped me the correct one only to have it delivered in a crumpled mess. The whole package was dented and smashed, including the print inside. So they had to send me yet another one. I got it just the other day and took it to Michaels to be framed. We had already taken the OTHER print to have it framed and we hung it today. It will be 2 weeks before the one for Lilly's bed is ready. Patience, patience, patience - my New Year's motto.

So here's how it looks above Coy's bed. Hope we didn't hang it too high. Let me know if we did and we'll lower it. We really like the white frame and white mat.

I'm still waiting on the PB teen bedding to get here. Should be Jan. 21 according to their web site.
January 3, 2014 at 9:41am     
mforr
I love it!!!!!
Happy New Year, hope you and hubby had a great end/beginning of the year. :)
I think the pic is good where it is, I wouldn't want to see it too close to the bed. It really looks so fresh and inviting in there now, you two must be very proud of the work you've done these past few months. January 21st isn't too far away, so you'll have the bedding and the other pic by then. Any luck with the color blocked b&w photos?
January 3, 2014 at 9:51am        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
No progress on the b&w photos. I can't seem to do it to where it looks good. All the free apps that I downloaded were too basic. Then I did a trial of Photoshop, but it was too complicate for me to figure out. So I'm stuck.
January 3, 2014 at 10:02am     
bubbasgma
How cute, Kmedl! Can't believe what bad luck you are having with ordering things! Woof!Woof!....My Bubba says he loves the color and the content, too! Can't remember if I showed you...Bubba as a baby, one of his first car rides. Bubba vs Soccer ball.
January 3, 2014 at 10:03am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Bubba is a gorgeous dog :)
January 3, 2014 at 10:05am     
mforr
how about going to a photo shop, they know how to do all of that, can probably do it with you in their shop, just bring the card from camera or a download of pic on flash drive. I doubt it would be too expensive. Just carefully consider which shots you'd like to see. Obviously not one like the one I did for you. You would want their faces to show, lol. But candid shots that are similar to the one I did for you would look best, not posed ones. Having them look natural, not looking into camera, with something in photo that would be interesting to colorize would work best. Also, maybe any pets? That would be great too :)
January 3, 2014 at 10:11am        Thanked by kmedl
Hi Kmedl. thanks for coming back and injecting some sanity to our group lol your room is looking good!!
January 3, 2014 at 10:13am        Thanked by kmedl
Bubbas- I just love that dog of yours;)
January 3, 2014 at 10:14am     
bubbasgma
Thank you, Mforr and Margo. Still very puppy-ish. Goofy and mischievous, like a young teenage boy! Barks incessantly, like he needs to go out, then when we get him outside he ploops down to lay in the snow. Takes all my muscles to drag him in, so I've given up and leave him be. Snowy and cold! He couldn't be happier!
January 3, 2014 at 10:18am     
mforr
That's where he's meant to be happiest :)
January 3, 2014 at 10:24am     
mkhodges
Hello....good to see everyone. Hope all your holidays were good.

Bubbas....I love the pic above the bed. And real Bubba looks like a wonderful dog. I've missed a bit about the black/white photos but excited to see how it turns out. You've done so well already. One of the things that I would have been too timid to try....the chevron curtain...absolutely MAKES this room. I'm learning....lol. And you already know how much I love the green chest. I'm looking around to see if there is anything I can paint!
January 3, 2014 at 11:02am     
kmedl
I'll see if I can find a photo shop that I could take some prints to. Probably have to go to the "big city" of Asheville. Exactly what kind of photo shop are you thinking of? Do you mean like Wolf Camera?
January 3, 2014 at 11:37am     
kmedl
Hey Margo!!
January 3, 2014 at 11:37am     
mforr
Kmedl, how about you give these guys a call and see if they can help you, phone call could let you know if it's worth a trip. Sounds like this is the kind of place that can do it and will work with you. :)
http://www.ballphotosupply.com/location.html
January 3, 2014 at 11:45am        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
mforr- THANK YOU so much for looking that up! I know right where that is. You are just an endless source of information :))))))
January 3, 2014 at 1:01pm     
You just don't even know kmedl, mforr is genius I tell you. She should start a blog called *ASK MFORR*... and I am not kidding;)
January 3, 2014 at 1:05pm     
mforr
You're welcome, kmedl, it looked like the site with the most offerings and I liked that it was third generation family owned. Should get much more personalized help with someone who cares about their business. Notice I said "should", I'm constantly surprised at how a small portion of people still manage to stay in business even with a terrible attitude and work ethic. Maybe if there isn't enough competition in an area, they don't feel they need to try. Anyway, it looks like there is some competition, so I hope they treat you like gold. :)
January 3, 2014 at 1:06pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Thanks Margo :D
January 3, 2014 at 1:07pm     
Hey kmedl, while we are waiting for the rest of the kids stuff to come in, maybe we should start on your sunroom...hint, hint, nudge, nudge. Or are you taking a break? Maybe we could brainstorm for fun, want to? *panting*
January 3, 2014 at 1:25pm        Thanked by kmedl
syncope
Now that's a subtle hint if I ever saw one...lol...
January 3, 2014 at 1:28pm     
I am known for my subtleness lol
January 3, 2014 at 1:29pm     
syncope
apparently...hahaha....you're a funny girl Margo...lol
January 3, 2014 at 1:30pm     
mforr
That's sounds like a great idea :D
January 3, 2014 at 1:32pm   
kmedl
Well, how about we take a look at our master bedroom next. I don't think it needs a complete overhaul, more stuff along the lines of window treatments, art for the walls, and general tweaking. Course that's what I think ha ha. You guys will have other thoughts, I'm sure :))

How about if I take some pics tomorrow and let you guys start your magic?
January 3, 2014 at 2:20pm     
mforr
Thank you, I'm there!!!!! :)
January 3, 2014 at 2:22pm     
kmedl
Would you suggest that I start a new discussion for the master bedroom?
January 3, 2014 at 2:25pm     
I would say yes, to starting a new thread for each room, otherwise comments will get all jumbled up;)
January 3, 2014 at 2:28pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
I guess you probably should if you want multiple posters commenting on ideas. I would be selfish if I said keep it here ;) though I would like to be selfish, shhhhh :)
kmedl
Ok, will start on it tomorrow. Will you guys find it? And Margo, try to contain your excitement and enthusiasm about possibly seeing the antique loveseat again.
January 3, 2014 at 2:34pm     
Ahem, kmedl, maybe you could house it in the sunroom lol
January 3, 2014 at 2:36pm        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
Post the link here when you set it up :)
January 3, 2014 at 2:43pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Margo - ha ha! I'll just keep moving it to whatever room we haven't looked at yet. Problem is, I'm running out of rooms. You guys have seen almost all the rooms in my house. Maybe the front porch - that would be a classy look!
January 3, 2014 at 2:51pm     
lol - I think you should put it on a furniture dolley and just keep it on the move......hahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahah
January 3, 2014 at 2:55pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Hey everyone - I just posted our master bedroom on this thread if you can help us, we'd really appreciate your feedback!http://www.houzz.com/discussions/791687/_msg=Q2hhbmdlcyBzdG9yZWQgc3VjY2Vzc2Z1bGx5Lg/Need-help-with-our-master-bedroom-decor
January 4, 2014 at 12:48pm     
peginvalpo
Anyone else having trouble opening that discussion? Maybe it's me! )-:
January 4, 2014 at 5:37pm     
peginvalpo
Thanks, mforr. Got it!
January 4, 2014 at 6:27pm     
abbyjean
Thank you for the link! What a spatial place!!!!! Your home is theee best! So much thought and effort put in to it all!
January 4, 2014 at 7:30pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Here's the other dog print over Lilly's bed. Love how it looks in there! Will post pics when their new bedding comes in.
January 13, 2014 at 11:21am     
bubbasgma
I LOVE IT!!! I can't even imagine anything that would have been better! I loved the initial "Initial" idea, too! But this is fun and whimsical for the kids (and adults)!
January 13, 2014 at 11:24am        Thanked by kmedl
mforr
They're perfect together, the kids will love it. I love it!! :D
January 13, 2014 at 11:25am        Thanked by kmedl
abbyjean
Perrrrrfect!!! Love that you are soooo patient with finishing a space. Patience is not part of my game!
January 13, 2014 at 11:53am        Thanked by kmedl
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
I vote for the way first one too!
January 13, 2014 at 11:57am     
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
Looks amazing!
January 13, 2014 at 11:57am        Thanked by kmedl
So much to love about this room kmedl;)
January 13, 2014 at 12:39pm        Thanked by kmedl
mkhodges
This room makes me smile.
January 13, 2014 at 1:02pm        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
It makes me smile too! Great colaboration between a super bunch of Houzzers! Wait til tne kids see it now! :)
January 13, 2014 at 1:20pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
The bedding for the grandkids' room finally came today! Here are a few pics. Next for this room is the crown moulding which should go up any time, and then the area rug for between their beds.
February 3, 2014 at 1:51pm     
abbyjean
I can hear them screeching with joy the next time they step in to this room. Sooooo nice!
February 3, 2014 at 1:56pm        Thanked by kmedl
Sah-weet... I love the bedding;)
February 3, 2014 at 2:05pm        Thanked by kmedl
I miss mforr, I wish she would come back and see the room.
February 3, 2014 at 2:07pm        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
That's beautiful, kmedl! The comforters fabulous! I can't wait to see the rug. :)
February 3, 2014 at 2:17pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Thanks everyone. We love how it has changed the room from little kids to a more mature look.

Margo - I agree. I tried and did what i could to make it right. It is disappointing.
February 3, 2014 at 3:54pm     
mkhodges
What a change! I love the comforters, Kmedl.
February 3, 2014 at 6:34pm        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
Seeing their room almost finished reminds me of all I need to do to get my gandkid's rooms done! It isn't as easy as it sounds, is it? Lol.
February 4, 2014 at 7:21am      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
How true. No it's not as easy as it seems. Lots of manual labor painting walls and ceilings, painting furniture, shopping for good deals and patience waiting for things to arrive. And oh yea, the $$ involved in making the changes. But it truly is a great improvement and I owe all the ideas to my Houzz friends who have seen it through from the beginning of the thread. You all are awesome!!!
February 4, 2014 at 8:51am     
happyasaclam
This has been fun! I'm still waiting on furniture to be delivered so I can't put up swag lamps I made for them. And I can't place artwork or decide on the length of the curtains. The furniture company called me to say it all should be in this week so maybe we can get started in earnest next week!
February 4, 2014 at 9:04am      Thanked by kmedl
bubbasgma
happy...Yay!! Start a dilemma, it would give us all a new room "to do"!
February 4, 2014 at 9:07am        Thanked by kmedl
happyasaclam
By the time I learn how ro use my new camera and software we'll be finished with their rooms, but there's still the den and living room and landscaping........ lol.
February 4, 2014 at 9:10am      Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Here are some updated pics with the new crown up and painted. I also put some pictures in the frames over Lilly's bed. I need a few things to put on the green chest with the lava lamp. Also still on the list is the PB area rug to go between the beds and some shades for the windows.

Gotta love my little doggie who finds a way to get in my pics. That's also his favorite spot to sit and look out the front window :)
March 2, 2014 at 9:32am     
bubbasgma
Oh my gosh, you two have worked so hard and should be so very pleased with all you have accomplished!! Bravo, Kmedl!
March 2, 2014 at 12:30pm      Thanked by kmedl
kcooz07
Looks great kmedl and your doggie obviously likes it too!
March 2, 2014 at 12:33pm      Thanked by kmedl
abbyjean
How about a couple of little treasure chests for each of them on the green dresser....to keep their treasures in, of course, while at Grandma's house. Or for you to stash things you find for them until they get there the next time.

LOVE this room!!!
March 2, 2014 at 5:51pm        Thanked by kmedl
kmedl
Cute idea with the treasure chests, abbyjean. Thanks!
March 2, 2014 at 5:58pm   
Bathroom disaster
To me, this is a discombobulated mess. (Glass shower...
Interior Doors
In the home I am remodelling, all of the bedroom, bathroom...
Laundry Room Paint Disaster!
Just for your entertainment. So, I am getting antsy...
Your best wallpaper removal tips?
Have you ever tackled the task of removing wallpaper...