Kitchen sink - has anyone with a double sink wish for a single sink?

lisautronkiSeptember 22, 2013
I only know a single sink, and very happy with a large sink for pots and such. In our new build I am leaning to a single sink but wonder if I did go with a double, would I think "how did I go all these years without". I know we are often content until you try something else. So anyone out there went to a double with regret?
Brenda
Large single bowl with a drain board gets my vote. This is the sink that I just put in my kitchen remodel and I love it

Elkay EFU411510DB Avado Stainless Steel Undermount Single Bowl Kitchen Sink with · More Info
]
    Bookmark   Thanked by lisautronki    September 22, 2013 at 1:19PM
ronnys
I am also undergoing kitchen renovation . I have had a double sink for years and really couldn't stand it! I just purchased an American Standard sink that has two removable bins and a sliding cutting board for under $200.00 at Home Depot and I love it! The smaller bin can be used as a strainer for rinsing dishes or a colander for veggies and pasta. The inserts lift out so you get the both of both world, single or double. When you use the sink alone, it is big enough for your largest platters and pots. It also came with a soap dispenser
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by lisautronki    September 22, 2013 at 1:41PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Love my oversized single sink! You can always get adjustable strainers and cutting boards or dishpans that can be put away...
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by lisautronki    September 22, 2013 at 1:43PM
a_rainbow
I had a double sink in our apt and knew when we built new I wanted a large sink with no divider. Mine is for a 36" cabinet base and very deep and I absolutely love it!! However, when I handwash, I briefly set on a mat until done and then I dry with a rag and put them away immediately so I don't see them on my counters :-) depends on how you operate :-)

Also, I can hide quite a bit in the depth of large sink before its even noticeable and I can get away a while without doing :-)

Big pots are easy to clean in big sink. I love it. No regrets.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lisautronki    September 22, 2013 at 2:03PM
rosehilltx
I, too, am enthusiastic about my large, deep, single sink. Also have a large and very deep sink in the laundry room. It's great for bathing smaller dogs and other projects that require additional depth. Mine are Elkay brand.
    Bookmark   Thanked by lisautronki    September 22, 2013 at 2:15PM
linlac
I'm a double sink fan. If I'm entertaining and cooking a lot I like to rinse as I go and still have a free sink. I also use one side for drying when I hand wash.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lisautronki    September 22, 2013 at 2:15PM
SoCal Contractor
I switched from a big basin to double and now back to a big one, you get used to is and forget how it was before. Personally, I like the one big bowl.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 10:06PM
DirectSinks
Single Bowl ALL the way!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:16AM
soberg
Single bowl all the way. But this really depends on your dishwashing and cooking style.
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:24AM
Genevieve
I have both and prefer the double sink to serve my purpose but after seeing the one that ronnys got i like that one best ,
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:29AM
tgb1
I couldn't do without my double sink. I keep the draining rack in one so that it doesn't have to be on my countertop. I like the look of a very uncluttered countertop.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 8:12AM
DirectSinks
There are so many options these days! You can do a sink system that gives you the best of both worlds!
6 Likes    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 1:09PM
ísARK Studio
We tend to spec out a single bowl unless a client really has a preference. We personally find it easier to clean and an overall sleeker look. How many times have you had to clean goop out of the non-garbage disposal side after a guest or undiscerning family member rinsed a plate? Kraus is our personal favorite right now for undermount. It looks like Direct Sinks also posted some very handsome and new options that look worth considering.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 1:27PM
melissaasaro
Single large bowl... You can clean everything and anything in there! I soak my stove grills and can wash commercial baking sheets with no problem
    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:04PM
chrisspencer
I have a single sink and a double, I like the double better. I think the mistake people make with a double is they don't get the right side big enough. 21" and 12" is what I have and I love it. I can be soaking in one and still have enough room in the smaller sink for washing pots or whatever.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 9:11PM
sandkshouse
We replaced a sink with a 25/75 split with a large, single bowl sink. Wouldn't go back at all.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 5:42AM
Imagine design and remodel
Depending on your counter top selection- a concrete or solid surface countertop would give you the ability to have an integrated sink thus allowing you to customize the size and shape. Also, an Integrated sink is seamless making cleaning a breeze!
    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 7:03AM
Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
We prefer double. In the second side we keep the dish drying rack so that it keeps it off the counter tops. :) Rhoda
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 5:48AM
pickyvicky
I would opt for a deeper double sink than a single sink. I did have a single sink at one time and didn't like having to stow a drain board.
    Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 6:06AM
I like having a large deep sink with a 70/30 division that comes up only half way. Unless you wash all of your dishes by hand, it serves the purposes of both double and big single sinks.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 6:18AM
jimrayfoley
Step sink combines benefits of both. Small bowl when you only have a few dishes with ability to easily clean large bowls and cookie sheets.
    Bookmark   September 21, 2014 at 7:20PM
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
Always had a double sink...love it!
    Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 10:20PM
wickedxx
I like a double sink. I've had both, didn't like the single.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 4, 2014 at 3:26AM
Create Good
In six years of selling our UltraClean Seamless Sinks, I have never had a client regret going with a single bowl sink.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 10, 2014 at 1:55AM
Audley Loewen
I've had both and loved my large single sink better. We are building a house right now and plan to use a single farmhouse sink since our house is a ranch style on 18 treed acres of land.
1 Like    Bookmark   February 21, 2015 at 7:23AM
soberg

I got a large single sink 2 years ago and I adore it. Never once have I wished for a double sink. (If I did want another bowl in the sink for something specific, I'd stick a tub or large pan in it. That has never happened.)

My mom had a triple sink.....just horrible. A constant inconvenience.

Bookmark   February 21, 2015 at 7:34AM
SINKOLOGY
Honestly I feel double bowl kitchen sinks are on the way out. At Least in higher end kitchens the single bowl is now king. The double bowl was originally designed for washing and drying dishes, however, the dishwasher has changed this. The only issue with single bowls is accessing the disposal when the sink is full of pots and pans. Check out www.sinkology.com for some new innovative copper kitchen sink ideas.
    Bookmark   February 21, 2015 at 7:53AM
SINKOLOGY
www.sinkology.com our best selling single bowl apron farmhouse copper sink.
    Bookmark   February 21, 2015 at 7:55AM
eelh
Have a 9inch deep Kohler stainless steel and love it. For the rare times I need a pan of soapy water and a rinse off area I put a plastic tub in the sink. Doesn't happen very often.
    Bookmark   February 21, 2015 at 8:14AM
Need help replacing double bowl undermount kit. sink for a single
The attachment tells the story. I want to save the...
larrygropper
Single basin sink or 70/30 split?
I have chosen a 36 inch wide stainless steel apron...
the5brainards
To sink (the family room) or not to sink, that is the question ...
We are building a new home and the floor plan includes...
donnelly74
Whats the best type of kitchen sink? one big sink or double sink?
Kitchen in new construction--sink and faucets
quilteratheart
Double sink vs single large sink
I've always had a double sink. We are gutting the...
wendalicious
Kitchen cabinets and wall color question
Here I go I would like to change the color of my cabinets...
goflyrm
Help with dining room
I finally found this black table two years ago but...
kellyeibner
HELP-something is off in my living room and i don't know what it is
I need help in reviving my living room. i've tried...
pontes_mari
The Backyard on a Hill ....what to do??
Hi! We're looking for more ideas on what to do with...
poirinewbuild
Mid century modern and antique design issues!
I feel the need to change my home interior from eclectic...
hypnokeka