need help with my living room space
toharel
we have one big open space for the living room and dining area. furniture in the pictures that has to stay: an oak tree dinng table with 8 chairs, covered in burgandy colored leatger; a long sofa in beige color, with gold accents, and two armchairs in dark chocolate color.
a few questions:
1. on the wall between the two spaces there is an aquarium tank that doesn't look right in this place. was thinking of getting a buffet stand for more storage space for my china. what style and size wil suit the space best? the wall is 64in wide.
2. are there general tips for designing this entire space in a way that will make everything work together? living romm furniture and dining set are different?
3. there is a double ceiling above the living room and were looking for a light fixture. any ideas?
Bring the burgundy color into the living space that will speak to the dining chairs. I'd like the see the dining chair legs stained a bit darker to relate to the legs of the chairs and sofa. An area rug with some texture would add interest and cozy the room. I also notice all of the furniture is about the same back height. I'd like to see a little height..maybe in taller accent chairs. When you move the aquarium to make space for a china hutch...I'd suggest something more modern and not china hutch looking. Something modern and interesting.
September 23, 2013 at 1:08AM        Thanked by toharel
carolins
Agree with Darzy that you need vertical lines, but you could bring that in with your China cabinet. Something that is about as tall as the height of the doors (or just a bit shorter).
And you definitely need art. Think large and colourful.
Is there a reason that you don't have a rug? Because it will bring softness to your room and it will have an effect on the 'noise' in there too.
September 23, 2013 at 1:32AM   
Essentia Interior Design
Just wondering what is the sofa facing?
September 23, 2013 at 1:34AM   
carolins
Floor lamps will add vertical lines too.
September 23, 2013 at 1:36AM     
Interior Style Solutions
Agree with Darzy bring burgundy into living space with cushions and ornaments

1. Large area rug
2. Buffet with mirrors in dining room
3. Remove table cloth
4. Side tables and coffee table
5. Large plant or floating shelves in place of fish tank
6. Accessories: ornaments, cushions etc. burgandy, beige and creme
7. I would've added window treatments but I see your doors and windows open inwards
8. A floor lamp
September 23, 2013 at 1:43AM     
carolins
Just had another thought: if you go for a cabinet that is less tall, if you hang a painting above it you'll add height too.
I'll try to find you some examples if I have more time later today.
September 23, 2013 at 1:50AM        Thanked by toharel
Interior Style Solutions
Here are some ideas for rugs, shelves art etc.
September 23, 2013 at 1:53AM        Thanked by toharel
toharel
thank you all for your comments. loved all your ideas. would definately add a rug, but am not sure what colors would be right? will a light color base with a touch of burgandy be right? also, should the rug be located under the living room area or between the two spaces- living and dining?
as for the question asked- the sofa is facing the ataircase..will add an image soon. not the perfect spot, but does not fit any other way in the living room space. the only other option is to replace the sofa's location wuth that of the dining table.
would placing a small buffet with mirrors on the aquarium wall be good enough for vertical lines, or would a tall buffet be a better solution?
September 23, 2013 at 2:01AM   
chemayne
The spaciousness of the room suggests you go with light tones in a rug with hints of your accent colours. Here are some with burgundy and chocolate ideas.
Leyda LY-02 7'10" x 11' Ivory, Multi Rug
Area Rug: La-Chic Burgundy 7' 10" x 10' 6" Contemporary
September 23, 2013 at 2:22AM        Thanked by toharel
Kylie Stetser
Use trellis rug on your floor, it will look great-

September 23, 2013 at 2:31AM     
September 23, 2013 at 2:37AM        Thanked by toharel
chemayne
I can't quite make out the wood tones of your dining table but from the chair legs, here's a suggestion of a buffet for the aquarium wall.

September 23, 2013 at 2:51AM   
September 23, 2013 at 3:15AM     
carolins
A copy of the Noguchi table, art from Etsy (only I made it larger) and the rest is from Crate & Barrel. Just to show what different rug colours will do for your room. Hope it helps. Hover over the pics to enlarge them.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Isamu-Noguchi-Coffee-Table-with-Black-Base/6672849/product.html?refccid=DIXQ4YJHY2W3OHCFKAITY6XNAY&searchidx=47
September 23, 2013 at 4:02AM     
toharel
wow, carolins, looks like you worked your magic- thanks. I like the first option best. would you necessarily stick to this darker shade of wood or would lighter tones, like the oak dining table be an option as well?
September 23, 2013 at 4:15AM   
toharel
chemayne, love the ideas for the pillows you sent- thank you. how many pillows would you suggest ? an even or odd number? mix together different shapes and sizes? how should they be aasembled?
September 23, 2013 at 4:18AM   
carolins
Lighter wood is also a good option :-) I just happened to find the espresso coloured wood cabinet (and I like it). But if you prefer a lighter wood... sure.
September 23, 2013 at 6:08AM   
Nefeli Met
I think that your living room and dining room both look amazing. What you need to add ASAP is a table in the living room! It looks so empty and it is exactly what fits in that gap. Square coffee tables look better there, here are some I loved: Dumas Coffee Table, Dark Walnut Veneer Lorenzo Cocktail Table (I suggest you choose that dark brown wood colour, it matches with the rest of the colours.) On that table a white orchid would look just perfect! Phalaenopsis Orchid In Pot Flower Arrangement. Under the table you should add a white fuzzy rug like this White Sheepskin Rug just in square shape and of course bigger than the table.

I think your tank looks great and doesn't need changes, and neither does your dining room. You have a really high ceiling, and there's a big space between the upper and down windows, so you could hang a painting there. I liked this one Spring Tree Wall Decor, Set of 4.

Hope I helped, good luck with it :)
September 23, 2013 at 8:01AM   
Mitchell Channon Design
One of the most important things to add to the double height space is a large pendant fixture. The fixture should be large in scale and hang in the space between the lower windows and the upper windows. Hanging a light fixture in this space will both highlight and soften the space. Here is a link to a recent project of mine that illustrates this idea in a foyer. Check out the dining room in this project as well. http://mitchellchannondesign.com/projects/winnetka-luxury-2/
September 23, 2013 at 8:12AM        Thanked by toharel
Carolins...that Crate and Barrel cabinet is perfect! I couldn't find a cabinet I liked for that space.
toharel...I like toss pillows to be different sizes. Throwing in a lumbar pillow looks interesting too. For a modern design, I prefer asymmetrical display of the pillows on the sofa.
September 23, 2013 at 8:56AM        Thanked by toharel
chemayne's pillow selections are quite nice!
September 23, 2013 at 8:56AM      Thanked by toharel
toharel
Mitchelle, could you pls tell me where I can the light fixture seen in winnetka-luxury-2? by the way, loved your work...
September 23, 2013 at 8:54PM   
Mitchell Channon Design
The fixture in the foyer or the one in the dining room?
September 23, 2013 at 9:02PM   
Carmel Decor
How about an area rug in the living room like this one, Carmel Decor - Contemporary Area Rug it'll add some color and the red will tie in the dining room chairs with the living room. Throw in a couple of fabulous throw pillows Carmel Decor - Pillow Talk and a contemporary cocktail table. I also like the idea of the pendent fixture.
September 23, 2013 at 9:44PM   
toharel
Mitchelle, i was referring to the one in the dining room. thank you
September 24, 2013 at 10:15PM   
toharel
I like the Brentwood Collection from Surya Rugs - BNT-7680 at at Carmel Decor. could you tell me what colors it has?
September 25, 2013 at 12:47AM   
Sika-Design
You could put a high table were the aquarium stands :) And the coffee table :)
September 25, 2013 at 12:49AM      Thanked by toharel
toharel
foflowing all your wise comments, placed a new area rug.
Does it look good and have enough red in it in your opinion, or would a darker beige with more touches of burgandy be better?
September 25, 2013 at 1:28AM     
nicolakerryn
Pj
September 25, 2013 at 1:36AM   
carolins
Oh I really like it :-)
September 25, 2013 at 1:53AM      Thanked by toharel
toharel
thanks for your feedback :) would like to know even if you dont like it, as it's an expensive rug, and wouldnt want to spend money if it's not PERFECT.
September 25, 2013 at 2:12AM   
gailintoronto
Trust your own instincts. If you like it it is perfect. When you use the living room where do you put your coffee cup down?
September 25, 2013 at 2:37AM   
toharel
LOOKING FOR A NEW COFFEE TABLE...:)
September 25, 2013 at 5:40AM   
Carmel Decor
@toharel -
The BNT-7680 rug has colors of Mossy Gold, Olive, Malachite Green, Dusty Orchid, Cumin, Gold, Parsnip, Barley, Cinnamon Spice, Adobe, and Pecan hope this helps.
September 26, 2013 at 11:18PM      Thanked by toharel
Need help for my living room space
The living room space is highlighted in yellow in the...
Need help for my living room space
Need help for designing my living room space...
Our living room space is very long and narrow. I am...
No Lighting Over Kitchen Table
We live in a gorgeous, brand new, modern NYC high-rise....
I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided...
Biggest household bone of contention?
Is it the direction of the toilet paper? Someone leaves...