Need help furnishing and decorating our dining room
AMW
Our dining area is off the kitchen and on the way to the hallway. We just got new flooring and now are having a hard time deciding how to decorate the sort of odd area. Looking at new lighting fixture, table (round or rectangle?) buffet or hutch where the lab print is...anything to make it feel welcoming. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
dean4712
I am in the same situation but I am looking to paint. I have always wanted one wall in my dining room to be red. My daughter told me that is called an Accent Wall, I don't know your favorite color but maybe you could start with that it might give you some other ideas just having a different color on one wall.
September 23, 2013 at 9:28AM     
carolins
If you could give us the dimensions of your dining space and give us an idea of the style you like.... :-)
September 23, 2013 at 9:39AM     
Rina
Hi. My first impression is that you need a round table, and a buffet on the wall with the labrador picture. But you must promise to put the labrador picture somewhere good whatever happens. Labradors are important!

Your ideabooks suggest that your taste is very clean and modern. I really like the Pandora light you have posted there. Start thinking, perhaps, about using something like that here. I'm also seeing very modern chairs, clean lines, possibly upholstered in a bright colour, like orange. I'd also like to see a zappy piece of modern art in there. More thoughts later, I hope, it's night time here. By (my) morning all your problems may have been solved.
September 23, 2013 at 9:49AM     
AMW
The dimensions to of the furnishable area are approximately 7ft x 10ft. Our style seems to be falling in a modern mid-century/Scandinavian. Thank you all for your comments so far! Definitely looking to add color with artwork/furnishings rather than paint.
September 23, 2013 at 11:22AM   
Solomoon Art Studio
May be large painting? ( nice labrador) :) https://www.solomoonart.com
September 23, 2013 at 11:36AM     
Curtain panels hung wide will do the most to add to the welcoming factor. A piece of furniture will just make the space feel smaller unless it is done to proper scale. I also think painting the backdoor an accent color from the print fabric you select for drapery would be ideal.

Right now everything is brown - what colors would you like to emphasize in your public rooms - accent colors, what colors are in your color story? Paint the lab picture wall a muted accent color, put a large piece of art on it, select coordinating drapery and a nice light fixture. A narrow sideboard / sofa table below is your best bet.
September 23, 2013 at 1:13PM     
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
I really like the kitchen in your idea book with the shelves around the patio door. It looks like you even have an indent there already. But I also agree with libradesigneye, that curtains will warm the room up too. And probably less expensive. I think you need to drop a pendant over the table. A flush, or even semi-flush, just won't do it. A pendant will help to ground and define the space. The drum shades you seem to like will go with the mid-century vibe as would a globe light.
September 23, 2013 at 4:01PM     
Modern Age Designs, LLC
Hi aberger77

Your layout is very similar to a design that David Bromstad did. I'm sending you the link to his gallery on his website- once you're on the page scroll down to retro, and its the second picture in the slideshow. Your design style is mid-century modern and that is the same style he worked into that space. I thought I could refer to his sight and you can see how he did it. It fits like a glove I think.
http://bromstad.com/galleries/interiors/

I hope it helps.
September 23, 2013 at 8:22PM     
carolins
Westelm have a lovely round table that will probably be a good size for your space. If you see a table you like, tape the dimensions out on the floor, or use paper to mock it up. Place chairs around it to give you a good idea how it fits the space.

This is the Westelm table: http://www.westelm.com/products/parker-mid-century-round-dining-table-h303/?pkey=cdining-tables&cm_src=dining-tables||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

And here's another Westelm one: http://www.westelm.com/products/arc-base-pedestal-table-g490/?pkey=cdining-tables&cm_src=dining-tables||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
September 24, 2013 at 12:21AM     
Interior Style Solutions
I like your square table. I would add some new chairs to brighten up the space. A small narrow buffet on the left wall with a bright painting above it. You could make a little study nook where you currently have the buffet.
September 24, 2013 at 4:45AM     
Interior Style Solutions
Some more pics...
September 24, 2013 at 4:46AM     
Rina
Lovely suggestions, from the charming tables Carolins posted on down. I went messing around website this morning trying to find things I liked for you but with no success -- clearly others are doing better. Those rooms elpelicano has posted are brilliant examples of using light, bright colour without becoming garish.
September 24, 2013 at 4:51AM     
carolins
All from Westelm:
September 24, 2013 at 7:30AM     
cicionline
Off the top of my head, I would advise you not to paint an accent wall. The space is too broken up as it is. I love round tables, but in this case I would use a square table with an extra leaf, and light weight chairs that don't take up so much visual space. Although it seems counter-intuitive, I would try a hutch opposite the table on the so-called hall wall, to drag that space into the dining area, rather that leave it has a mere pass-through. A colorful rug would help to define the dining space. To create a modern look, I like bold and clean. So I would choose simple furniture but in dark wood, or even black. To firmly anchor the space and to keep the focus on the dining area. I would also have a few choice pieces of pottery or china in the hutch for visual interest and a large piece of art, as someone else suggested. On the wall that faces you as you head for the kitchen. It would create another visual stop to help define that awkward space.
September 28, 2013 at 11:38AM     
PLEASE help us furnish & decorate our L-Shaped Living & Dining Room
We recently bought a house and aren't sure how to arrange...
Need help with decoration tips for our living room / dining room
We have been struggling deciding what to put on the...
Need help finalizing the decor in our dining room.....
You can see the after transformation pictures compared...
I need help choosing the right furnishings and decor for our livingrm
We're in the process of remodeling a small side-split...
What can I do for this area
Can u plz give me ideas on what I cam do to this area...
Hardwood flooring
Currently the main has dark hardwood and so does the...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Style concept dilemma
Here's another good example of our interior design...
Making two bedrooms out of three
I have an older split level home with three small bedrooms...