In over my head: Exterior design help please!

AllAmericanAmySeptember 23, 2013
Location: 1 mile from Lake Mich, downtown, old houses on block (not rehabbed) - Ravine lot

House: Old, Ugly, plain, boring lol Much room for improvement cuz when u at the bottom you can ONLY go up, right??

Problems: I'm terrified of choosing wrong colors! lol Serious financial constraints (so think CHEAP solutions) plus labor issues (so think EASY solutions) (after beginning DIY work, hubby seriously injured , not going to fully recover - so we are truly in a bind here & progressing slowly).

From top to bottom of house:
Roof black (barely noticeable) - staying

Roof trim 1 1/2" white - can't change color - NOT FLEXIBLE (labor issues)

Fascia: FLEXIBLE Adding 6" white fascia (assume that's best option?)

Soffits: FLEXIBLE - I'm thinking they will be same color as new vinyl siding to de-emphasize and not draw attention

Vinyl siding: NOT FLEXIBLE Durabuilt, stone clay 4" double dutch The vinyl siding will go on entire body of house EXCEPT for under the small roof overhang that runs along the entire front of the house

Wood siding: FLEXIBLE 4x8 wood panel siding, grooved to be applied UNDER the small roof overhang, corner to corner along front (only) of house. I confess, this is MY bright idea to add some visual interest to the house (so it's not a big, tan blob). Would like to paint it a modern, beachy vibe blue or blue/green/teal - nothing too crazy though. 1 mile from Lake Mich so beachy is not too crazy. (The interior will NOT be beach vibe though) Alternative idea: Ravine lot, so muted green maybe?

Totally confused as to what color to paint it - darkish tone? Medium? Light?

Window trim: Will be wood so I can paint it. Same color as wood panel siding? Darker? Lighter? aaaahhhhh (banging head on table here). Other bright idea (lol): Maybe the 2 small windows side-by-side putting 6" trim board on top of each window with 3 or 4" trim along sides and bottom?? Stupid? FYI: Out of necessity, the small window at the peak of house will have the window trim along bottom, up sides and completely into the triangular peak (small area above window going up into peak).

Did ANYTHING I just said make sense? lol Hoping so! I appreciate any input and am open to changes (except the color of vinyl siding). Remember: cheap & easy is name of the game now! lol

Pictures will be in next post - each time I try to attach them to this Houzz shuts it down and I lose my stuff.
AllAmericanAmy
pictures as promised - maybe
    Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 7:14PM
AllAmericanAmy
above is the color of the vinyl siding we have (NOT on my house). Here is the beast of a house:
    Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 7:23PM
mcbriec
I don't think the house looks like a beast at all and actually has a lot of appeal to my eye. I think an olive green with a beigey/creamy trim (rather than white) on windows and fascia trim would look really nice. I would probably bulk up the trim on the 2 upper windows to give them more presence. You could also put a railing up the steps which would then go across the front porch to add curb appeal. I would not go with a darker trim.
    Bookmark   Thanked by AllAmericanAmy    September 23, 2013 at 7:40PM
AllAmericanAmy
mc: Thanks for the positive words! The house FEELS like a beast to me lol. Creamy trim (opposed to white) is not an option, due to the roof trim being white & we can't change it. Railing on steps good - it won't go across front of the house though. I now realize it does look like we have a front porch .... we don't! The steps lead to entry door and that's it. The foundation "cement blocks" that run along the front are creating the appearance of a porch. I'm thinking we will paint the blocks the same color as the wood panel siding (whatever the heck THAT color will be) to make the blocks fade away. Or should the blocks be the same color as the main body of the house vinyl siding (clay stone)? ugh
    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 6:18AM
Curt D'Onofrio
I like the color of the stone. Instead of painting the stone to match the house, i would try painting the house to match the stone. Can you upload additional pics at different angles because it's hard to tell if that stone work extends away from the house or not. Thanks
    Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 10:59PM
Scottish Home Improvements
Agree with the above comment; painting the stone could prove to be difficult and a natural stone look is so valuable in an exterior design.
    Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 3:59PM
Please help! Just purchased home and need exterior ideas...
We just purchased a 1976 ranch that has a lot of potential!...
judybug36
Please help me design my barren conference room. .
I own a company where I sell and design custom websites....
Adrianne Moore
Need help for this church exterior design
I am team of this project and need some ideas or critics...
Marlins
I need to spruce up the exterior of my home, please help!
We are tired of the reddish stain on our home. I want...
Nicole Forrester
Please help me choose perfect exterior colors for my new house!
We just bought this house and want to pick the perfect...
jeff_the_chef
Bathroom countertop to make these sconces work?
Here our situation: We have 6 sconces, bought years...
jcorn1
Fix the front of my house!!!
We just bought a new house and don't love how the outside...
howellmsue
Exterior facelift ideas
We have just purchased this home built in 1979. It...
serendipity7
help me get rid of this white window!!!!
I just recently bought a home that is beautiful and...
jenn
Master bath renovation Vanity Mirror thoughts?
We are remodeling and expanding our master bath - part...
ebs0303
Sponsored Products
Nuvo Boxwood 1-light Textured Black 26-inch Wall Sconce
Overstock.com
Harry Drum Pendant by Carpyen
$504.00 | Lumens
Crossroads Point 19 1/4" High Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Grohe Talia Pressure Balance Valve Trim - Infinity Brushed Nickel
Modern Bathroom
Designers Fountain Pendants & Hanging Fixtures Oak Harbor Hanging Outdoor
Home Depot
House Numbers Bright Brass 3" House Letter C
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Grid Cage Matte Black Outdoor Pendant
$46.80 | Bellacor
Huppe | BOX Guest Chest
YLiving.com