Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbnoehr

Need an irregular shaped table for a breakfast nook.

Bonnie Noehr
10 years ago
I have two benches, one 5 feet and one 6 feet, that meet at right angles and are sandwiched between a refrigerator and a pantry. Working on getting a table that will suit all parameters.

Comments (63)

• studio10001
    10 years ago
    Greg's idea is on the market, and in addition to rolling under the seating, can also fold flat:
    http://images-a-e.shopletcdn.com/productimages/300x300/117357.JPG
  • jimles37
    10 years ago
    Consider two smaller tables that can be easily moved around, or nesting tables with varying heights so you can sit and lounge with a drink or munch too. Your obviously talented - build two custom tables that will nest together when not in use, or something like the popular sofa tables that slide beneath the sofa and ride over it in a "C or U" fashion. Guess that is a popular suggestion above! Good luck looks great!
    Bonnie Noehr thanked jimles37
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Greg, the space taken by the nook IS stolen from the room behind! We enlarged and completely remodeled the kitchen with a seating area (as we are used to in Germany) a priority. Loved the Saarinen tulip table (Brenda) but it does not come in the right size as is also true (Marilyn) of the Ikea table. All too big, which is why I posted "irregular" shaped table. Genevieve, yours comes the closest but with rounded corners. My husband made a cardboard template and we are now looking at having a concrete table made with a metal base. The base is really important for getting in and out. Thank you all for your comments.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    It will be nice to see what you decide on. Please post your result.
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will post the results.
  • cherieratcliff
    10 years ago
    If you are going to ever move it, why would you want a concrete table??? Too heavy!! Think about having to move it every day to sweep/mop under it...
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I asked the same question and they responded: Our concrete mix uses glass fibers instead of aggregate so its much lighter and more stain resistant than traditional concrete.
  • ljfq
    10 years ago
    So cute! I have seen some neat tables that are coffee table height , giving a relaxing conversation area, but can also be raised up to eating height as needed. Not practical if you eat at this table every day, though.
    Bonnie Noehr thanked ljfq
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I like it!
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Yes, remove the small round table and replace it with 2 or 3 small square tables that could work together as one or be moved or reconfigured if needed.
  • PRO
    Patio Productions
    10 years ago
    Contact www.tansu.net. They manufacture furniture in Bali and can make small run custom. A nice table to your specs would run around $1000 and would be made of really nice wood!
    Bonnie Noehr thanked Patio Productions
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Or go very modern white lacquered round 36" with a pedestal base. Center.
    Bonnie Noehr thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    How about one of those oval tables with the drop down leaves?
    Bonnie Noehr thanked gypsyrose17
  • PRO
    SOLO Home Design
    10 years ago
    I would place a triangle shaped table in that space but not the full size of the bench. Leave a seat size open by the pantry side for easily sliding a person in and out. It looks like you have a large amount of painted wood so I would make the table natural wood color...maybe with some beautiful wood grain pattern and incorporate some metal legs (maybe something salvaged) to tie the appliances in.
    Bonnie Noehr thanked SOLO Home Design
  • 1411devon
    10 years ago
    West Elm has a simple white lacquered table that would be perfect. It's 30-36" diameter....
    Bonnie Noehr thanked 1411devon
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Have a furniture maker build one exactly like need.
    Bonnie Noehr thanked User
  • Crystal
    10 years ago
    If it doesn't have to be a table. I would suggest a trunk that would serve the purpose of eating and grabbing coffee. More of a seating area off the kitchen than a breakfast room.
    Bonnie Noehr thanked Crystal
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Has to be a table for the family to sit and eat and read and ... Luke is already waiting to be served!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Pretty space. A rectangle table with curved edges for easy in and easy out.
    Bonnie Noehr thanked LB Interiors
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I placed my order today for just such a table. Will post results in a month when it arrives.
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    bbnoehr, great that you ordered a table. Interested in seeing pic when it comes in. One small thing that bothers me under your benches. Look at pic you posted and see if you notice unfinished ply wood that is not painted. My imagination or true? Just an observation, overall I love the design! :))
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good eye, unwanted but, no. That is, in fact, an electrical outlet. Odd spot for it, perhaps, but it was in the wall that was knocked out and one never knows when one need to plug ing, say, a foot warmer? :-)
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, looked again ... perhaps you are referring to the whole bottom under the bench? That is unpainted maple. Quite nice. Only the bare wall is painted. No plywood. That outlet is the bit of white where the benches join.
  • Mercedes Stenberg
    10 years ago
    Room & Board has a custom table program. You pick the legs, the top, the size and they construct for you. http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/customsubcategory/list.do?catalog=room&category=cst_custom_programs&subcategory=cst_bti_tab_din
    Bonnie Noehr thanked Mercedes Stenberg
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Nice to know, but they do not seem to allow for an irregular shaped table top which is what I needed. I ordered from 5 Feet From the Moon http://www.fivefeetfromthemoon.com
  • cherieratcliff
    10 years ago
    still watching for the new table, can't wait to see what you have ordered! And I love the dog... and the pillow!! So cute (both!)!
    Bonnie Noehr thanked cherieratcliff
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oooooooo I'm waiting too and glad to know you are. It is due to arrive October 24. (They promised it would be here for my birthday!) I will post as soon as it is in place!
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    Yippee!
  • trixie71
    10 years ago
    Maybe you could look at what are considered entry way tables or tables meant for behind couches(consoles). They are usually long but thin. If they are too high shortening legs s usually easily done. I am facing breakfast nook challenges as well using brighter colors, but yours look great with the setting!
    Bonnie Noehr thanked trixie71
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's here! And I love it!
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    corner detail
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    bbnoehr, looks fantastic! So happy you went with what you wanted. I really like it. Explain corner detail. :))
    Bonnie Noehr thanked unwantedadvice
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Well done!! Shells?
    Bonnie Noehr thanked studio10001
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Looks great good job.
    Bonnie Noehr thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • mrwillie
    10 years ago
    Very nice. It looks perfect.
    Bonnie Noehr thanked mrwillie
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The table top is concrete but not as heavy as you might think. The artist included slices of seashell from our local beaches and bits of abalone shell and colored glass in the near corner. I like this special feature.
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's a long shot.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Love that table! Worth waiting for and love the detail inlay!
  • Bonnie Noehr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all. Just had our first meal there and are delighted.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Unique- I like it!
    Bonnie Noehr thanked brickln
  • sunnydrew
    10 years ago
    We had a built-in banquette seating like this in my kitchen when I was little. My sister who hated all vegetables used to hide anything she could in the crevice of the bench back and seat. Years late my mother ripped it all out to re-model and all these petrified peas fell out.
    Seriously, your table is perfect and I hope you enjoy it for many years.
  • PRO
    Interiors by Design, Terri Marcus, ASID, RID
    10 years ago
    How about an oval with pedestal leg? Or you might consider a sofa table and have legs cut down, that gives you a thin rectangular table.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Bon Apetite !
  • craljh
    10 years ago
    Just what I was going to say LB
    Bonnie Noehr thanked craljh
  • cherieratcliff
    10 years ago
    This is so cute!! Good job, you really didn't need all of us after all! Love it! CR
    Bonnie Noehr thanked cherieratcliff
  • Tricia Coia
    9 years ago

This is why I love houzz! My husband and I also find ourselves with a breakfast nook in need of a table. The nook is straight on one side and curved on the other. So I googled "odd shaped table" and this discussion board came up. I am thinking that a custom design might be the solution for us as well :)

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

A rectangular table on casters would be a good idea so that you could move it somewhere else between meal times and use the banquette for seating while visiting or watching television.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

Old post from 2013

• brinnie
    8 years ago

So what size table did you end up getting? I have a 6' long straight banquette bench between a perpendicular wall and my fridge, so I'm wondering, after you have lived with your set up for a while now, how you find the sizing.

• Tricia Coia
    8 years ago

Actually we didn't. We ended up deciding to make it more of a sitting area than a dining area. We got two small armchairs and we'll get one or two small tables one of these days (for a book, cup of coffee). So far it's working out well!