Help (please!) with my new formal living room
kpuccio
This space is a formal living room. It is the first room you see when you walk in the front door, and you can actually see straight through to the backyard. It is a large space, and I basically had to start from scratch with furniture. I have a large 8ft grey tufted sofa, two club ikat club chairs (see fabric in image below) and a cocktail table. My three biggest needs right are:
1. Area rug: I have been looking for a 9x12 rug, but in reality I don't know which route to go. Not sure what will go with the ikat chairs. My floors are dark wood, so do I need a lighter rug to make a contrast? Should I go for a geometric pattern, a solid rug, something else?
2. I need another piece for the opposite side of the club chairs, but what? I was thinking a bench of some sort, but I don't know if that will make the room unbalanced since with two large chairs on one side, and a low-profile bench on the other.
3. Art for the walls. What are your suggestions for dressing large walls like this when budget is tight?
Thank you so much!!!
carolins
A rug like this will work. http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Rosa_Area_Rug/810/

And have you tried putting the chairs opposite the sofa? Either side of the French doors and angled towards the sofa? You could give them each a small table to put drinks on. Two floor lamps, one in each corner, a console table on one wall with a large painting above it....
I'll see if I can find some visuals :-)
September 24, 2013 at 11:42am        Thanked by kpuccio
carolins
...
September 24, 2013 at 11:43am     
carolins
Another option, a large graphic pattern: http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Sawyer_Area_Rug/810/
September 24, 2013 at 11:50am     
butlera
Lovely home! A couple of things I think might work: Rather than the chairs against the wall, something more solid, such as a tall table or even the sofa. This would provide a base upon which to create an attractive art arrangement. I have provided 2 examples; both Ballard Designs, to illustrate this idea.
September 24, 2013 at 11:53am        Thanked by kpuccio
carolins
A flatweave (nicer for your budget :-)) http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Houndstooth_Area_Rug/210/
September 24, 2013 at 11:57am   
carolins
If you do put the chairs opposite the sofa:
- 2 floor lamps, one in each corner near the windows

September 24, 2013 at 12:12pm      Thanked by kpuccio
silk789
Lovely room. Make the most of the light coming in through those full length windows and doors:)
Because you have lighter coloured walls, i think you should steer away from a rug of the same colour, too bland. Have a rug that ties in with the wood floors. 'carolins' rug is more on the right track but you could even try to bring out the blue and yellow/grey of the furniture. You could try a horizontal mirror, on the far wall in the first picture, with an interesting frame around it. Some green in the room could also help tie in your nice plant arangement together along with the outdoors and is really fresh.
September 24, 2013 at 12:13pm   
A couple of rugs for your consideration. I struggled with this one and ended up going very monochromatic and with very large patterns on the rugs to avoid competing with the chairs (which I love, BTW). Added a sepia-toned print and a metal table between the chairs.
September 24, 2013 at 3:28pm        Thanked by kpuccio
kcar66
What is your style?? Your furniture could go either traditional or have more of a modern flare.
September 24, 2013 at 3:41pm   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
A rug with the same sand colour as the pillows would contrast with the floor. A subtle pattern would compliment the ikat chairs. Some velvet drapery in a slate tone to give the living room an even more formal feel.
September 24, 2013 at 4:25pm        Thanked by kpuccio
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I suggest moving the two chairs to the other side of the couch and buying a very long console table or sideboard for the wall. A mirrored finish would reflect the beautiful floors without competing with them. A dark fretwork bronze one with a marble top would blend in with the colours of the furniture.
September 24, 2013 at 5:13pm        Thanked by kpuccio
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Oversized artwork would look great on that huge wall especially if you choose to go with a console table. The last one is a vintage map of Paris.
September 24, 2013 at 5:14pm        Thanked by kpuccio
Dar Eckert

Would love to see more of that lovely butter yellow in the chair fabric.
September 24, 2013 at 5:16pm      Thanked by kpuccio
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I really suggest you change the coffee table. Some ideas......antiqued mirror or iron with marble top. Also, add an accent table to put between the chairs. Don't choose the same finishes on all the tables.....mix it up so they compliment each other.
September 24, 2013 at 5:21pm   
Kpuccio- You say this is the first thing you see when you come in the door, so I would put a sofa table behind the sofa so that you are not walking into a room and seeing the back of a couch. Next, I think 7 throw pillows on one sofa is overkill. People never know what to do with the pillows when they try to sit down. I would put a round side table between the 2 Ikat chairs. As far as a rug, I would put down a simple sea grass rug. I also might put 2 more chairs across from the others.

September 24, 2013 at 5:31pm        Thanked by kpuccio
kathy
What are the chairs looking at? ie what is the fourth wall? That will be important in deciding what to put there. Overall dimensions of the room would help as well.
September 24, 2013 at 5:55pm   
kpuccio
kcar66, My style is more modern.
kathy, Dimensions of the space are 19.5"x18.5"
September 24, 2013 at 7:36pm   
kpuccio
kathy, the chairs are looking at a wall with an opening (close to the window wall) to the kitchen. Thanks!
September 24, 2013 at 7:38pm   
Ann
I really like grover's 1st rug suggestion!
September 24, 2013 at 7:57pm   
Mary Sheehan Zsemlye
I agree with chairs across from the sofa...I also think color on the walls would warm up the room....a tone of gray...I like the first rug shown above...great choice..
September 24, 2013 at 7:57pm   
Ann
Yes, I agree, Carolins first rug idea is a close second to grover's 1st rug for me.
September 24, 2013 at 8:01pm   
ArtFromDenise
I only saw two photos of art in your ideabooks. Could you take a picture of art pieces you have around the house that you like? Understanding your preference for art style will help us when making suggestions.
September 24, 2013 at 8:07pm   
kpuccio
Thanks, everyone! What are your thoughts on this Nourison rug? http://www.buyarearugs.com/rugs-nep07-qua-305-xgx.html
Would someone place it into my room picture as carolins and grover did? I don't have a program to do that. Thanks again!
September 24, 2013 at 8:13pm   
ArtFromDenise
I like it!
September 24, 2013 at 8:17pm   
Ann
I like the gray in the Nourison rug, but the other color looks a bit pink and that color could fight a bit with your chairs and large tan pillows on the sofa.
September 24, 2013 at 8:26pm   
kpuccio
September 24, 2013 at 9:00pm   
Ann
The last one isn't bad, but I can see grover's point about choosing a very, very large open pattern in order to not compete with the chairs.
September 24, 2013 at 9:16pm   
sweetadobe
@carolins - how did you put a rug picture in kpuccio's picture that has the living room furniture. I am in a similar situation as kpuccio is and I am having tough time deciding on living room furniture.
September 24, 2013 at 9:23pm   
Here are the rugs you chose, kpuccio.
September 24, 2013 at 10:04pm        Thanked by kpuccio
September 24, 2013 at 10:11pm     
carolins
@sweetadobe, groveraxle and I use Photoshop Elements :-)
September 24, 2013 at 11:08pm     
Homescapes Europa Ltd
Hello! I feel that you need a good area rug and some lively scatter cushions for your sofa. Try this http://goo.gl/bUIawj
September 24, 2013 at 11:54pm     
Ann
I like grover's fave, carolins first, and your third, kpuccio.
September 25, 2013 at 8:33am     
brochester30
Lydia - Where did you find that artwork above the tan, leather couch? Love it!
September 25, 2013 at 8:39am   
bac6
highly textured rug in hemp and jute from Thomas O'brien- modern yet ethnic pattern works with the ikat chair pattern, gray sofa and any wood
September 25, 2013 at 8:54am        Thanked by kpuccio
September 25, 2013 at 10:56am        Thanked by kpuccio
With the diptych from Horchow:
September 25, 2013 at 11:03am        Thanked by kpuccio
carolins
The Horchow diptych is fabulous!
September 25, 2013 at 11:15am     
Lydia (Kazza Design)
That artwork is gorgeous! But I still think you should go with a sand coloured rug that would pull in that tone from the pillows and chairs. This colour would contrast with the floor and the wall instead of just blend in.
September 25, 2013 at 11:52am   
brochester30
Thanks, Lydia!
September 25, 2013 at 11:56am   
You have a rustic modern vibe going. Place great chairs facing sofa. Add a 8 x10 area rug. Go a gray and yellow Moroccan design. Don't angle chairs place side by Side. With a small rod iron table between. On long wall where chairs were. A long 6 ft cabinet in reclaimed wood, can be on iron legs. Over it add a tall 5 ft rectangle mirror hang vertically, 8" above top of cab. On cabinet add big basket filled with orchids and plants can be fake. Other end tall 2 ft pots (3) in yellow and gray. Coffee table remove all. Add 3 big coffee table books to corner. Nothing else. Add some pale yellow pillows to sofa remove some dark ones. I would paint walls a gray. Moore and Sherwin have great shades. Which would warm room. Paint entire space. Trim in white.
September 25, 2013 at 12:08pm      Thanked by kpuccio
Add panels in dark gray to windows ends. Nothing on French door. Push sofa back about 18-20" if possible to use whole room. Can we see other side of room.
September 25, 2013 at 12:10pm   
In entry a tall 4-5 ft art and 24" wide on wall by closet door. Leave windows in entry bare and over door. Hang a chandler in entry. Hang so it shows though top window. Black drum with chrome.
September 25, 2013 at 12:13pm   
Not liking the cream or light rugs above. Stay with furn color. Love the mirrored buffet above. Perfect for long wall. If going mirrored then go art over it with yellows, blues, grays. Stay with furn colors just bolder. Big 49x40 oil. Z Galleries have some nice art and furniture.
September 25, 2013 at 12:17pm     
Bac6 has a interesting rug. They do mot need to cost a lot. Try on line at Overstock.com or Homedecorator.com
September 25, 2013 at 12:18pm   
kpuccio
travisinteriors, what do you mean by "furn" color?
September 25, 2013 at 7:35pm   
Ann
I'm guessing travisinteriors means the gray/charcoals of your current upholstery. Hopefully, she'll correct me if I'm wrong.
September 25, 2013 at 7:52pm      Thanked by kpuccio
kpuccio
Ahhhh! Furn = furniture
September 25, 2013 at 8:02pm     
bryght.com
Love your space! If you are still looking for a bench I think the Conan form Bryght would look great in your living room
http://www.bryght.com/product/112/conan-faux-leather-upholstered-dining-bench
September 25, 2013 at 10:52pm     
classicinteriors
a think a simple jute rug would work well with your floor and furniture. or this lovely gray rug from pottery barn. while I love antique Persian rugs they are a lot of work to maintain therefore I am much less a fan of spending tens of thousand or even thousands on rugs that will end up as garbage when you change your furniture.
September 26, 2013 at 12:43am   
classicinteriors
you need lots of art on those walls. hang the wall. how about a nice antique bamboo ladder propped against a wall with some nice throws hanging on it or some nice built in book cases with a space for the tv. not sure I am a fan of the back of the sofa looking away from the front door. know you don't want to lose the view out side but how about turning the sofa to face the big soon not to be empty wall and placing the chairs where the sofa is?
September 26, 2013 at 12:46am   
Help with formal living room and new furniture!! Please!!
Hi. I finally purchased some new furniture for my...
please help my fellow houzzers... in my formal living/dining room
I have a few piece for the room but besides that i...
HELP! New house formal living room layout
Our new house has a formal living room with fireplace...
Does my new couch match my living room? Please help!
Hi everyone! I desperately need help with matching...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Living Room: Something is Missing...
Just moved from a 1BR apt to a 3 bedroom house. I am...
Ugly bed dilemma
My in-laws gave us their old bed frame to use in our...
Flooring experts - black glue on floorboards under carpet
I want to remove the old carpet throughout the house...
Need help with curb appeal with side entrance
Need help and/or ideas for improving curb appeal and...