New exterior color. Desperate help needed!
Sarah Feigel
We just bought this 1970 two story and we hate the color, it's orange.
The roof is newer and will stay as will the multicolored brick (for now, I have hopes of updating with a stacked stone someday).
I was thinking of painting all of the trim and the garage doors off-white, but we're just not sure about the main color, help!
Sarah Feigel
Any suggestions are welcome, also any suggestions for the landscaping.
September 24, 2013 at 9:06PM   
karemore55
I'm liking a deep blue with a lot of grey in it. It would contrast nicely with the brick, and harmonize with the brown shingles. Left to right: Phillipsburg Blue, Alfresco and Thousand Oceans, all Ben Moore.

Your landscaping looks pretty good. You could dig the shrub bed a little deeper and have creeping junipers along the front of it. Front shrub beds should come out quite far from the house, otherwise they don't have much visual impact from the street. But, actually your landscaping looks pretty good. Happy painting!
September 24, 2013 at 10:54PM     
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
I would either paint or add wood shingles to the upper story. A sage green or chocolate brown would look nice there as well as all the trim. Since the garage is so prominent I would add a pergola and beef up all the posts you have both at the garage and the across the front . The driveway could be made more attractive by scoring it into sections and having it stained a deep brown or deeper charcoal gray. Since your front lawn is small I would eliminate it and add a contemporary rock garden filled with low growing evergreens, ornamental grasses and perennials and top it with a pebble mulch and add boulders for accent Example of a pergola over garage below. .Remodel of a 1980"s ranch house
as well as the colors recommended.Lake Pine Drive ,Cary. Garage and Remodel
September 25, 2013 at 8:33AM     
Dar Eckert
I love the shingle idea for the upper story and sage green would be lovely. However, midrange gray with darker charcoal trim would also work with the reddish brick. I've attached one of my favorite color combinations. When you paint, you should consider painting the garage doors the same color as the body of the house and even the trim the same. This way the main part of the house is the emphasis instead of the garage.

September 25, 2013 at 8:45AM     
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Is the brick reddish or brownish ? Looks sorta brownish orange to me.
September 25, 2013 at 9:26AM   
Sarah Feigel
The brick is more of a brownish orange, although to be honest I'm not sure if its the brownish orange paint lending to that feel. The same brick is on the fireplace inside and it seems more red in there.
September 25, 2013 at 11:28AM   
HI -- Sarah -- Here is a color that goes with brick -- "Ranchwood " CC-500 from Benjamin Moore . Paint the garage doors the same as the main house color and then this color can be accented by "Cloud White " or a charcoal/dark brown for the trims.Then have a pretty jewel tone on the front door . Some of the shrubs in front need a good pruning and think about adding a sidewalk leading from the front door in a soft curve down to the main sidewalk , then add some more landscaping along the new walk and add some lighting .Maybe add another tree beside the driveway which will be between the drive and the new walkway. Also add some big rocks for interest . If the posts along the front are not for support then remove them or if they have to stay ,they need to be fattened up .
September 25, 2013 at 11:54AM   
Desperately need help with exterior color!!
Just bought a brick house that needs updating. Would...
new house, need new exterior colors! HELP!
We purchased this home recently and it is in desperate...
Help! Need help choosing a new exterior paint color
We will be repainting our house. I do not like the...
Desperately need help setting up Living Room of new house
Hello to everyone reading this. I am new to the site,...
Desperately need help with new foyer!
I would love to have a round table in my foyer but...
Style concept dilemma
Here's another good example of our interior design...
New house, HUGE design challenge w/ front entry.
What do I put on this massive wall. I don't plan on...
What type of area rug should I use with a geometric pattern chair
I am changing my living room to incorporate more contemporary....
What should you know when you buy an old home?
There are special challenges when buying an older home....
Need some help/inspiration updating my newly purchased 60's home
Hey all, I need some help and insight into what might...