What color if any should our driveway be??
bguseth
September 24, 2013 in Polls
Can't decide if we should do a dark black-charcoal or a white-tan colored driveway.... Or neither. Any suggestions? The garage door will be a dark brown color similar to the front door. The house is facing NE so it gets a lot of sunlight. I tried to post pictures in different lighting. Help please!!!
Black-Charcoal colored concrete
Natural-white-tan concrete
A different colored concrete ...
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Charcoal color driveways tend to look too much like asphalt and are not as attractive as you would think.
A lighter color or perhaps a terra cotta color would work well with your house.
0 Likes   Thanked by bguseth    September 24, 2013 at 7:47PM
Amy Cali
Regardless of your color choice, I would choose either your stone or slate to edge the driveway. Beautiful home!
0 Likes   Thanked by bguseth    September 24, 2013 at 7:55PM
PRO
Architectural Gardens, Inc
There is a lot of texture and pattern in your face brick, so try to make the driveway more monotone, less busy. If you do a paver or brick driveway use units that are either larger or smaller in size/scale as the house brick. Use a simple setting pattern, not too many sizes and shapes since you already have a lot of variety going on in the house brick.

Look at Unilock Avante Ashlar Almond Grove or Oakwood. Or do a simple Holland stone. See attached images. Don't go overboard with edging and banding, simpler is more elegant.
0 Likes   September 25, 2013 at 10:51AM
PRO
Architectural Gardens, Inc
more images
0 Likes   Thanked by bguseth    September 25, 2013 at 10:59AM
bguseth
Thanks! I think we are doing just a solid concrete ... To keep it more simple since everything else is more textured. Just trying to decide on a color of concrete... No color, or black hues or tan hues.
0 Likes   September 25, 2013 at 11:07AM
kcar66
Do just a plain concrete with stone edge around it...simple, less expensive but yet a little ump to it.
1 Like   September 25, 2013 at 11:11AM
kcar66
Another idea is to put stone strip where the natural stress breaks are in concrete
2 Likes   September 25, 2013 at 11:18AM
PRO
Leo Dowell Interiors
Color the concrete as close as possible o the stone color on your house. It will make your house look bigger and not fight with it. You don't need any borders, you have eneough stone on the house already and borders are bing over done now. Classic is always better than trendy in the long run .
1 Like   September 25, 2013 at 6:02PM
silk789
A plain light coloured concrete/pavers would suit better with a 'soft' grey border like kcar66 post.
p.s when your home is done could you post a photo of the inside of your round tower feature, looks really interesting:)
0 Likes   September 25, 2013 at 6:17PM
PRO
Creative Innovations & Designs Inc
An exposed aggregate driveway with a light charcoal base added to the mix would look great. It wont be dark and the aggregate will give the driveway depth, vs only a solid color smooth concrete. The great thing about exposed agregrate is that in 5-6 years if the concrete is looking worn, you can give it another sand blasting and it will look brand new. You cant do that with a stamp because you would remove the superficial colour and pattern. Doing only the edge with a pattern looks cheap, and makes the driveway look narrow as it pushes the eye towards the centre. I'd love to see what you choose once it's done!
0 Likes   September 25, 2013 at 6:27PM