Help with Fence post spacing
highspirited
I am looking to install a low wood fence to add some character to the front of our house, while hiding the AC unit the previous owner placed in the front yard. I am not sure how far to place the post in order to prevent sagging. I want the boards to run length wise drawing the eye to the side entrance. The platform around the AC unit is 7’x 8’ and the additional front coverage is 17’. There would also be some low landscaping plants lining the longer section balancing the AC Box, with up lights on the base of the fence and the house number mounted on the right corner. I am in New York, so I realize the post need to be deep enough to deal with permafrost. I have attached a drawing showing the details from an arial view. Also there is a picture for how I would like it to look- the tree icon is a place holder for small white birch.
Thank you for your time.
dalma darling
Have you installed the new fence? I'd love an update on how the project is coming along!
January 20, 2014 at 11:04pm   
SoCal Contractor
The spacing of your posts will be determined by the thickness of the cross members. 1"x4" should be around 6'-8' apart.
January 20, 2014 at 11:10pm   
belladiablo
divide the span of the fence in equal parts so that no post exceeds 8' from each other.
January 21, 2014 at 7:12am   
highspirited
thanks for the comments- it took a while for the city to mark the underground lines. Now we have to wait for the spring for the the ground to thaw. I will keep you posted.
January 30, 2014 at 3:43am     
HELP ME PLEASE!!! I NEED COLOR and Brightness
Hello, I just bought this house about a month ago...
I need lighting in my dining area.
The table cannot be moved because it would block the...
To reupholster or not reupholster, that is the question?
This was my grandmother's sofa, bought new in 1968....
Bar Top
The wood top of this bar area had some water damage....
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...