an old dining table

Mariam TairSeptember 25, 2013
hello ,, i need suggestions please
i have this old dining table , it used to belong to my family... and it means so much to me ...lots of memories
the issue is that it doesn't fit any where in my place, since i'm living in a small apartment . but i don't want to give it away so i was thinking of maybe turning it to another thing that might be useful ?
any ideas ?
P.S i don't have any chairs , and it needs high chairs .
Brenda
cut it in half, mount a ledge on the wall and attach half the table to the ledge

Beautiful spaces with colors you can bring home with Garden Candy · More Info
]
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Mariam Tair    September 25, 2013 at 10:11AM
I think that is *genious* Brenda! The first new thing today I learned on Houzz;)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Mariam Tair    September 25, 2013 at 10:16AM
yvonnecmartin
Put it against a wall and use it as a desk or computer work station.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Mariam Tair    September 25, 2013 at 10:20AM
You could cut the legs down and make it a coffee table. Or, you can also put foam and fabric on the top (upholster the top) and use it as a coffee table/ottoman. Or, make it bench height and make it a backless chaise.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Mariam Tair    September 25, 2013 at 10:21AM
JBD Design Group .
I have taken many dining tables and have taken the legs off and used shorter ones. These make great coffee tables. Bold with a geat oversized bowl for the center.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Mariam Tair    September 25, 2013 at 10:48AM
bschr
If it is a bit higher and needs stools, could you put a larger top on it and use it as an island in your kitchen area?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Mariam Tair    September 25, 2013 at 10:48AM
Mariam Tair
Brenda your idea is great , never thought of it before , i like it :)

as for turning it to a coffee table , it wont work , cuz its old fashion and it's big , beside i don't need a coffee table

but as for using it as an island in my kitchen , i actually need that since i don't have enough cabinets or drawers, i might be able to use it then as a dining table and a storage :D

this is amazing ...thank you all for your help :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 11:00AM
annopseth
Don't know precisely how tall it is, but if you cut down the legs, can you push it up against the back of your sofa? It becomes a sofa table for lamps, etc. while it also cam be used as a desk. It's also can serve as extra seating for dinner guests overflowing out of the dining room. Or, you can cut it in half lengthwise and attach to a wall as a buffet or bar-type seating. Or, if you have a peninsula in your kitchen, cut in half, shorten, attach to the peninsula as an eating surface.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Mariam Tair    September 25, 2013 at 1:39PM
tessaway
Never cut legs off. I believe the leg tips may make the table more valuable. Are they porcelain or plastic. Porcelain adds to values. Kitchen island idea brilliant.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Mariam Tair    September 25, 2013 at 1:58PM
motownmom
I was going to suggest using it as an island, because that's what I did with my old kitchen table. To get it to island height I went to Lowe's or Home Depot (never remember which one, LOL, I frequent both of them equally) and purchased screw on legs that are in the aisle where the wood moldings are. These are intended to be added to MAKE a table, but I purchased ones that would extend the table to island height.

The problem was that I needed about 8" height increase, but they didn't have 8" long table legs. So I bought the ones that I think were about 10" long, and cut off 2" off the bottom. I purchased the types of screws that have screws at both ends to attach these to the existing table legs. I used the drill to put a hole in the bottom of each table leg, the top of the "extenders", and screwed them together with the double sided screws. Because I was painting this to go in my new "cottage" style kitchen, it didn't matter that the added leg length was unstained. Because I was careful where I cut the leg extension, it's not possible to tell that this was not the original length of the table leg.

If you go to my ideabook below, click on the link below the pictures. It's the aqua table with the white top & stencils. You can sort of see the bottom of the legs which I extended.

Ideabook: Kitchen upgrade · See Ideabook
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Mariam Tair    September 25, 2013 at 2:41PM
Cut it down to coffee table height and paint it your design colors.
Beach Style Living Room · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 4:11PM
Dining room setup
What kind of dining room table would you recommend...
lauraehughes
Mahogany table
I have an almost 100-yr-old mahogany dining table in...
lulu1971
New Table: Need ideas for counter chairs and legs for table
Custom built table was originally designed to be suspended...
dwhitehead65
How to modernise old dining table and chairs
Hi. I am just about to acquire this apartment with...
Janish Grewal
Dining room interior
I have just purchased an old dining table & chairs...
brook5y
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
KITCHEN COUNTER TOP SUGGESTIONS
any recommendations/suggestions on what type/style...
robertsontg
THIS or THAT as a big photographic print for my new laundry room?
My new laundry room could probably very well serve...
Hamma
Doors or Windows
I have a wall in my plans that divides the porch/screened...
Brea Albritton
European Oak Flooring
Has anyone had any issues with European Oak flooring...
cohrs101