Have a wall of massive flagstone fireplace
second nature urban landscapes, inc
The wood burning fireplace is one of the the main features in my small 70's brick ranch home and I'm trying to love it but not exactly succeeding. There are mirrors at the back of the book shelves that you can't see in this shot. Just to the left of it is the front door which makes it a traffic area and I'm not sure if the dated flagstone look fits with my midcentury modern tastes. Any thoughts?
mpoulsom
I would take the wooden trim and doors off and keep those open with stacked logs. remove mirrors from shelving area and paint it dark gray or dark taupe maybe. spray paint fireplace doors gray/taupe. i think the yellowish tinted wall color should be changed as well.
September 25, 2013 at 11:53AM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
mpoulsom
The other thing you could do if you do not like the color of the flagstone, is simply paint it a solid color, along with the woodwork to make it more uniform and sleek looking.
September 25, 2013 at 11:56AM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
French Real Estate Company
What about removing the shelving units and both cabinets and the stone to the left/right of each down to the hearth.
September 25, 2013 at 12:01PM      Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
carolins
Or you could remove the shelving, leave the bottom part, but without the doors, for log storage as mpoulsom suggested and add a cushion and pillows so you create two seating nooks next to the fireplace. I'd consider painting or whitewashing the stone.
September 25, 2013 at 12:05PM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
September 25, 2013 at 12:07PM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
carolins
September 25, 2013 at 12:09PM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
second nature urban landscapes, inc
These are great responses, Everyone. So nice to be able to bounce ideas around with you all. I like the bench potential. You're right: the color of the room isn't good with the flagstone at all--any wall color ideas out there?
September 25, 2013 at 7:41PM   
apple_pie_order
One thing to try on the fireplace is a good scrub with a gritty cleaner such as Bon Ami. It will takes hours, but it doesn't need to be done in one fell swoop on one day. Comet and Ajax have bleach, which is hard to wash off flagstone. You might also lighten up the mortar with a water based paint in an off white. That'll make it look a lot fresher.

Pinky beiges may go with the flagstone. Bring home some paint chips, then paint some sample jars onto posterboard.
September 25, 2013 at 9:13PM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
apple_pie_order
September 25, 2013 at 9:15PM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
French Real Estate Company
I would go with the color of the mortar - looks like slate - just on that wall, and then that cream color (of the stone) on the others
September 26, 2013 at 6:39AM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
French Real Estate Company
I really dislike the idea of a seating area - functionally it will never get used
September 26, 2013 at 6:41AM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
Sustainable Dwellings
I agree with removing doors and stacking logs... pinion wood looks wonderful. You may consider painting your walls a pale terracotta or blush. You definitely need a new front door... something glass (maybe 3/4 with caming in zinc?)... floors and fireplace are pretty!
September 26, 2013 at 6:44AM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
Brenda
I think the main problem with it is the cabinetry ... especially the lower doors with the black shed looking hardware. It almost looks 50's Early American.

If you had modern slab front walnut veneer cabinets installed, and maybe a walnut mantle and new stainless fireplace doors ... I think it could work in a mid century home.
September 26, 2013 at 6:52AM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
carolins
SW Beige walls and Westhighland White ceiling and doors
September 26, 2013 at 8:37AM   
French Real Estate Company
The beige clashes with the stone Carolins - can you try slate
September 26, 2013 at 8:44AM   
Riddle Construction and Design
Depending on your budget you could overlay the brick with faux stone. That is what we did for this fireplace and it really revitalized the whole room.
September 26, 2013 at 8:48AM     
carolins
SW Gorgeous White walls and Extra White doors and ceiling (sorry for the sloppy paint job and even if you like a colour shown in the colour visualizer, you still need to test it out on your actual walls first :-))
September 26, 2013 at 8:49AM   
carolins
SW Downing Slate
September 26, 2013 at 8:51AM   
second nature urban landscapes, inc
I'm glad you mentioned the front door, SD. Here's a sample of what I'm thinking concerning that--the exterior is a whole new discussion so I'll keep focus on the interior. Apple--I will give it the Bon Ami (love that stuff) scrub-- I love the pinky beige, but I think my husband won't--it's currently a rental--but I see it as a retirement potential spot. French, I agree that no one would really sit there and it's better to keep with the function instead. The bays filled with logs is a great look! And Brenda I think you hit the nail on the head with the Early American cabinet doors. That and the glass shelves with mirrors behind. That is the first thing I'll change. A big thanks to all!
September 26, 2013 at 8:54AM     
carolins
SW Mink
September 26, 2013 at 8:54AM   
carolins
Choice of paint colour also depends on the colour of your furniture. But this was just to show you how different colours will look.
September 26, 2013 at 8:55AM   
second nature urban landscapes, inc
Carolins, what a cool paint program! And I like the deeper colors as an accent wall because the FP has a drama that this innocuous yellow paint can't keep up with.
September 26, 2013 at 9:01AM   
carolins
If you go to the Sherwin-Williams site (or one of the other paint manufacturers), you can upload a photo of your room and try out different colours. Fun to do. :-)
September 26, 2013 at 9:02AM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
apple_pie_order
I'd consider painting the wood cabinets a color that closely matches one of the pinky red sandstones. It would be less obtrusive. The mirrors actually are a good feature in my opinion because they lighten the whole thing up. Paint the shelves and millwork in front of the mirrors with the same pinky red.
September 26, 2013 at 9:18AM        Thanked by second nature urban landscapes, inc
carolins
See... different people, different opinions. I really don't like the mirrors :-)
September 26, 2013 at 9:20AM     
apple_pie_order
@carolins: yes, different people, different opinions. I often think how boring it would be if we all had the same taste....
September 26, 2013 at 9:24AM     
second nature urban landscapes, inc
Thanks, Apple. Good way to camouflage the wood. And since the room only has one window maybe I can think of the mirrors as faux windows.
September 26, 2013 at 9:26AM   
Brenda
second nature, have you decided what you're going to do for your fireplace update? any in-progress photos to share?
October 12, 2013 at 2:28PM   
redteamstrategies
The fireplace is very mid century, the colonial doors and the red oak floors are not. Other than removing the doors on the fireplace and thicker shelves, I suggest focusing on the other elements if you really want a mid century look. The mirror backs are very 50's.
A dark gray rug that matches the grout to cover the red oak as much as possible, if you can't refinish them.
A new full light front door, like the fluted glass, very Mid C. And change the closet door to a single panel door.
Wall paint color is impossible to select from a photo. Get samples and try them out. The red tones in the FP clash with the orange in the floors, so it will be tricky. It's always helpful to put a color palette together that includes the other materials prio to picking out paint. It's usually the last finish I select since there are thousands of paint colors and less rug and fabric options within your budget and taste.
October 13, 2013 at 9:25AM     
second nature urban landscapes, inc
Wow, RedTeam! You've hit the nails square on the head with each point. I won't be able to make changes for a bit because it's currently a rental but you've helped me see that it's not so much the flagstone FP but everything around it. And these are things that are so much more changeable than the stone. YES! Really glad you wrote.
October 13, 2013 at 3:41PM   
Need to warm this space up
I need a little help. This space needs some design....
Need help with furniture placement
I need help again. I have two sofas, one wing chair,...
Guest room not very guest friendly. Please help!
Smallish guest room is 12'6" x 11'3", but has high...
Hohe Leistung Laserpointer Grün 100mW
http://www.starkerlaser.com/100mw-laserpointer-grun.html...
What to do with this outdoor space?
I love our small screened in porch--but hate how it...