Please some ideas for new shutter and front door color
sussie29
New roof will be Timberline- Weathered wood
thanks!
Tabernacle Homes
You could always do a brighter red door and black shutters. That seems to work well for alot of people. Good luck!
September 25, 2013 at 12:53pm   
US Door & More Inc
I think both of the colors in the pictures below would look great. I would change the door to either a brighter red or black.
September 25, 2013 at 1:24pm     
eelyram7
It will look much better if you take the shutters down. Those windows are way too wide to accommodate shutters.
September 25, 2013 at 1:29pm     
Avalon Shutters, Inc.
Are you referring to just exterior shutters? Or interior. If you are wondering how interior shutters look from the outside please look at this picture.
September 25, 2013 at 1:53pm   
eelyram7
I was talking about just the exterior shutters.
September 25, 2013 at 2:36pm   
tessaway
Red
September 25, 2013 at 2:48pm   
tessaway
Yes do take the shutters away as they appear to be decorative only. Would leave nice clean modern lines.
September 25, 2013 at 2:50pm     
RosemaryR
Shutters need to go, they don't fit the house.
September 25, 2013 at 2:59pm   
sussie29
the problem with taking the shutters down is they've been up for 20 years and I bet the siding will be darker underneath, plus doesn't anybody think the house will look too plain?
September 26, 2013 at 6:32am   
eelyram7
If your siding is 20 years old, it is probably overdue for replacement. The life expectancy of vinyl siding is only about 10-15 years, and aluminum siding can be restored / repainted.

Once you remove the shutters, it will probably look bare to you for a while until you get used to it but it really will look much better. If you decide to replace the siding in the future, you can add more interest with MDF or PVC panels below the second story windows, especially a skirt board along the cantilever. Anything will be better than shutters on this house. For a humorous and educational explanation of how offensive inappropriate shutters can be, check out this blog post http://www.beltstl.com/2010/06/shutters-why/
September 26, 2013 at 8:23am     
Timberlane Inc.
The shutters on this home are not properly fitted for your windows, which is why the exterior seems a bit off. We would suggest removing the shutters from the two bay windows, as they do not belong, and replacing the current shutters on the upper levels with pairs that are properly fitted. If you feel as though the properly fitted shutters will appear to be too wide, we would suggest bi-fold shutters. They will appear to be thinner, but once closed they cover the entire window. See images below.

If you decide that you want to remove all of them, like eelyram7 mentioned, you could place window boxes on the upper level windows. They will take away from the bareness of the home.
September 26, 2013 at 8:33am     
sussie29
Geesh never expected that reaction to the shutters. New siding is not an option and as you see there aren't any architecturally interesting features on the house, but I will consider removing. What color for the door?
September 26, 2013 at 8:44am   
sussie29
About the window boxes- what color and what plants do you use in the winter? I live in NY
September 26, 2013 at 8:52am   
Timberlane Inc.
Ah, living in New York with window boxes could be a bit tough! See the link below for some great window box ideas (along with some for the winter).

September 26, 2013 at 8:55am   
Recs for new shutter and front door color ideas?
Shutters have been removed for this photo but were...
Please help with new shutter & front door color
I'm thinking of updating my front door and shutter...
New shutters and front door color
I'm looking to change the color if shutters and front...
Want new colors for shutters, porch and front door
House is basic brick. There is cream siding on the...
Help with front door, shutters & garage door colors please
We are doing a whole house remodel. Painting the brick...
What should I do with right wall ?
Grass cloth recently added....crystal chandeliers came...
Ideas Please On Staircase
Contemporary home with staircase that's too rustic...
Need help for removing dinning room and kitchen wall ???
My husband is thinking to remove right side wall to...
Need help for kitchen ???
We bought this house a couple of years ago and kitchen...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...