How should you improve curb appeal?
costellomandySeptember 25, 2013
Thinking about putting an offer on this house. How would you improve the curb appeal? Change the bay window? Move / add dormers? Any ideas would be much appreciated!
mmilos
I'd wait until your offer is accepted...but...

I wouldn't modify anything physically with the house. It looks cute and classic. I would freshen the landscape with some more varied plantings.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 25, 2013 at 1:39PM
I think it is cute as all getup;) I might hang a new copper lantern porch light, and throw down a new welcome mat.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 25, 2013 at 1:45PM
Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
From the exterior, there seems to be nothing visually wrong with the bay window element. So my question would be what would changing the bay window do for you on the interior? Are you trying to introduce more natural light into that particular space? Would 3 large and wide double hung windows accomplish that for your?

Regarding the dormer question, you need to weight what adding another dormer would do vs. widening the existing dormer. What is that room behind the small dormer. Which would benefit you more for that space. The existing dormer is nicely centered over the 1st floor windows. I would think that widening the dormer would keep that rhythm intact. Adding a dormer will through the rhythm off.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 25, 2013 at 3:29PM
Judy M
I would add a stone retaining wall from sidewalk to left corner of house along driveway and fill in with top soil to reduce the slope and then add new stairs and sidewalk to front door ( walkway should be at least 4 feet wide.

Then change landscape shrubs.

Lovely house, I just think landscape and yard changes are all it needs.
Perhaps change exterior light fixtures to update.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 25, 2013 at 3:53PM
Zone 4 Architects, LLC
Do you have a sense of what construction costs are in the area vs. your budget? I think that the dormer looks a little small on the roof, and usually provide a lot of value to the room that they are in. However, making modifications to the roof come with complication and expense that might not give you a good return on your investment. If the roofing needs to be replaced anyway, then changing the dormer would want to happen before you did that.

Otherwise, I think that maybe a porch and some landscaping could really add a lot of appeal.
    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 25, 2013 at 4:18PM
sstarr93
I would add wider trim around the bay window and dormer windows, and wider, contrasting corner boards on the front gable (with siding).
On the bay window itself, it might be nice to accent the projection with same-color wood shingles, instead of what looks like aluminum siding (?).
Accentuate the entry by painting the front door an unrelated, contrasting color (red? blue?). It's hard to see the brickwork around the door, but it should be noticeable and attractive... you might want to add this.
It would be very cute to add a second dormer, next to and not far from the one you have.
Finally, enhancing the walkway with landscaping and brickwork would be very beneficial, too.
    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 25, 2013 at 4:29PM
mrzz173
This house is adorable...the only thing I would change on the outside is the landscaping. All the bushes are too overwhelming.
    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 25, 2013 at 4:38PM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi....I agree with Judy M on the retaining wall, it would help to have a walk from the door to the street separate
of what is going to the driveway, and the retaining wall would level out the slope to make that possible. Large stepping stones with grass in between, less green and more color, possibly hydrangeas and roses lining the walk, a blooming tree as well. I think the house is nice, I'm not crazy about the cream with the brick, and would suggest you paint that BM Swiss Coffee, the shutters color freshened with BM Iron Mountain. I would add a copper roof over the bay window.
    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 25, 2013 at 5:05PM
Removal of clumpy shrubs, a retaining wall and a new color for the front door would help. The copper roof is a great idea and beautiful azaleas for spring and hydrangeas for summer-fall would top it off.
    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 25, 2013 at 5:35PM
elkgroup
You need lots of color from the front door to colorful annuals and perennials. The shrubbery is ok if you add color with it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 26, 2013 at 6:25AM
sstarr93
With some additional trim and another dormer...pardon the quick Photoshoppiness of this...
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by costellomandy    September 26, 2013 at 3:32PM
How can I improve the curb appeal of this house?
We are just purchasing this house and I am not happy...
joaniek
How should I improve this curb appeal?
When I bought this house, it was so overgrown that...
lrp1160
1939 Colonial Home needs help improving curb appeal
I need some serious help deciding what to do to improve...
Kelly
Need help with improving curb appeal
I would need all the help with ideas to improve the...
haippa
What can I do to improve curb appeal on tiny house
Just bought his little guy and the exterior needs some...
jaclynri
Chair dilemma.
Here's another good example of our interior design...
VANGUARD development
New Condo/Apartment - layout advice!
Hi all, Looking for some advice on how we can arrange...
Andra Maria
Will a 30 inch wall oven fit in a 30 inch wide cabinet?
I would like to purchase the new 30 inch professional...
gharris8
Need help with our courtyard
We have a wonderful 20m x 6m courtyard. I'm happy with...
imray
Keeping 1940's charm in kitchen that needs bringing into 21st century
This kitchen has the same characteristics as the rest...
Sue Casseau