Does this work all together? Dining room.
nessievjk
Dining room that I am having a hard time getting right.
Hi Nessie, Are there any more pictures of the room you can share to get a better idea of everything going on in the space?
0 Likes   September 25, 2013 at 3:34PM
Jeanne K Chung, Inc. // Cozy•Stylish•Chic
I would raise the clock about 9". Right now it's looking a little bit low on the wall
4 Likes   September 25, 2013 at 3:35PM
nessievjk
More pictures
0 Likes   September 25, 2013 at 3:41PM
rwright9474
Hi Nessie! You've come to the right place and will get great advice from the designers here. From my non-designer eye, it appears the chandelier is a bit oversized. The sideboard in the nook looks like a good size. This would be a great spot for a large piece of art to bring in some color and perhaps a picture light above. If this doesn't work for you, maybe a pair of tall colorful ginger jar vases on the console.
2 Likes   September 25, 2013 at 3:58PM
unwantedadvice
I would switch the clock and the decorative metal piece. The items on the buffet, especially the smaller ones just don't do much. But I like the fact that you tried to raise items on books, that is a nice touch. :)
2 Likes   September 25, 2013 at 4:50PM
bevballew
Look forward to the professional designers suggestion. Nice dining room set.
0 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 5:28AM
nyliret
Perhaps a nice wall paper on the wall instead of the metal piece.
2 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 6:02AM
carolins
Hmm... I'm thinking that you could paint the back wall in the blueish grey that's in your curtains. The mirror, clock and metal art look like they are just there to fill up empty wall spaces. You don't have to have something on every wall.
I would try the metal art above the buffet in stead of the clock. And I would remove the mirror.
The chandelier looks to be too big. Something rectangular would be good above the rectangular table.

(I tried SW Uncertain Gray on your wall.)
1 Like   September 26, 2013 at 12:15PM
carolins
Or a round drum shade:
2 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 12:55PM
carolins
Chandelier:
0 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 1:05PM
nessievjk
I worry about switching the metal piece with the clock. I always thought the clock needed to be anchored with something below it. I love all the suggestions. Keep them coming!
0 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 1:22PM
carolins
Then at least hang the clock a bit higher :-)
0 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 1:22PM
carolins
But I do think that the clock is substantial enough to hold its own, without something under it.
0 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 1:23PM
rk800
Good job! However I think you honestly only need one candle. That style you're going for looks to be Craftsman(?), which to me doesn't look right if you are creating too much symmetry. It needs to look effortless. Now, this doesn't always apply, imo. For example if you are doing like an Art Deco inspired space then you would actually focus on creating visual symmetry.
0 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 1:31PM
I think you could make a more attractive vignette, using a painting or a mirror.

Most importantly, put the clock somewhere else…kitchen, hall….unless you want to get your dinner guests out early, I think it is giving the wrong message. :>)

1 Like   September 26, 2013 at 1:45PM
LB Interiors
Clock is great. You just need larger scaled items on the buffet to say WOW.
Foyer
Eclectic Foyer
4 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 2:02PM
Add a much bigger base lamp in a accent color. And black shades. Add some reflective items instead bigger, and a plant like fern. . Raise clock about 4-5"
0 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 2:06PM
JPthird
carolins, what program do you use to change out wall color?
1 Like   September 26, 2013 at 6:24PM
nessievjk
I am in no way attached to the lamps. A friend gave them to me and I have just been trying to make them work.
0 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 7:21PM
LPDesigns
I'm a little biased towards color, but painting just that nook in a gray blue will help to anchor the whole set up (Just paint the nook, not the whole room!) Move the clock up (or Put the larger wall art there... the key is the proportion of the top of display), and your items on the sideboard need some height! I'm pretty much echoing the brilliance of my fellow houzzers
1 Like   September 26, 2013 at 7:41PM
nessievjk
Ok. Thanks. I will try to get some help with moving the large wall pieces around. I saw these and wondered if I should replace the lamps with these.
0 Likes   September 26, 2013 at 9:54PM
carolins
@JPthird, I use the Sherwin-Williams color visualizer. It's on their website and you can upload your own photo to try out colours.
1 Like   September 27, 2013 at 12:12AM
Laurie
These carriage lights are very cool, but I think what everyone was saying is there's a disconnect, stylewise, between your clock (which is very glamorous and dressy) and the items you are attempting to pair it with. Either go all glam, or move one of your other more casual wall items, like the iron work or the mirror, over into that niche. That clock can stand alone on a wall! These teal blue lights would go nicely, I think, in front of the mirror, which is simple and substantial. They might compete with the iron piece, would have to see them together. Assuming these carriage lamps are taller than the black sconces you currently have, right? Taller is better! :)

btw, have you seen any Pier1.com ads lately? Apparently Peacock blue things are one of their trends..lots of cool accessories, lighting, and draperies paired with dark brown furnishings.

Hope this helps. Really hope you will try the mirror and maybe even layer the iron piece in front of it, have the mirror hanging and the iron piece leaning up against it slightly off-center. Then I think a lot of your other accessories will play nicely against that backdrop. If you hate it you can always change it back!
2 Likes   September 28, 2013 at 6:21AM
nessievjk
I have not seen the pier 1 ads. Thank you do much ! I will check it out. I keep thinking of moving the mirror into the niche but I need physical labor help!
0 Likes   September 28, 2013 at 7:50AM
nessievjk
Thinking of moving this into dining room where the iron piece is currently, moving mirror lengthwise above buffet, and putting clock where mirror is currently or placing mirror above fireplace in living room. Thoughts for all this?
0 Likes   September 28, 2013 at 8:44AM
carolins
That is a lovely painting. I would try it above the buffet first or where the mirror is.
If you try the mirror over the buffet, try it vertically first. Please don't break anything :-)
1 Like   September 28, 2013 at 8:55AM
Laurie
That painting IS lovely!!! Agree with Carolins, try over the buffet first. Would the clock fit over your fireplace? I could see this in that niche or on a wall in your dining room!
0 Likes   September 28, 2013 at 12:30PM
nessievjk
The painting is huge. I haven't moved it yet!
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 8:29AM
louiseberube
Absolutely change wall color, remove clock to another room. Re-frame painting & place where mirror is presently. Place Mirror where the clock was. Change light fixture for a much lighter rectangular fixture. Would also suggest replacing curtains for a material that gives a lighter feel, choosing a print that not only reflects the new wall color but includes a bit of the color of the carpet.
1 Like   September 29, 2013 at 9:05AM
rosecafe
Is THAT the TIME ! ? Dinner guests will think your timing them. Gosh, lose the clock.( perhaps into your man cave? ) Replace it with a stylish framed mirror. Use clear glass hanging light over your dining table.
2 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 9:33AM
rosecafe
Don't like mirrors? O.K a really good framed painting of say, a Parisian street scene. Definitely not one of those paint by numbers jobs, nor Elvis on velvet.
1 Like   September 29, 2013 at 9:36AM
nessievjk
I am so happy! Thank you all! Some wonderful ideas! Agree about the clock! I totally never thought about guests thinking we are timing them or something! I am considering putting into our office. I liked it mainly in the dining room to break up all the square pieces.
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 2:23PM
nessievjk
I DO have this mirror ! Perhaps above buffet!? Excuse the boo sign! I do have kids!
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 2:26PM
LB Interiors
It needs to be as large or larger than the clock.
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 3:24PM
nessievjk
It is 2 inches smaller ;(
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 3:26PM
LB Interiors
It still may work with the proper height. You may need something on each side to balance the length of buffet. Either on the wall or tall items on the buffet top. Two table lamps work but is so expected.,
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 3:54PM
Pauline Licavoli
I like everything the way it is. You did a great job and its your style and taste that is important. There is only one thing that I would do. I would angle the dining set. It is too straight and should be put slanted to give a more roomy and European look. That is all I would do. Very nice!
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 5:26PM
Hooray for the anti-clock crowd! No need for me to say more. Whatever you hang anywhere, just use a few guidelines - free hanging art or mirrors should have centers at 60" above the floor. Over furniture 5" is a good rule of thumb. Light fixtures over dining tables 1/2 the width of the table, hanging no higher than 36" above it. And mirrors should always reflect something beautiful or interesting - maybe your chandy? If you hung the mirror on the wall where the metal piece is you might capture the lighting which you should change to smaller and more in line with the era of your furniture.
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 5:40PM
LB Interiors
Iron art and mirror are hung too high.
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 5:45PM
Need good deal on light-blocking curtains
My bedroom has Venetian blinds, but they aren't enough...
Fence addition advice
I have a 30' wide stone/brick that stands almost 6'...
Bedding help
Hi Houzzers! My bedding is in shambles. Any advice? I'm...
Art on my wall is making me stall!
Do the dimensions of my stand- in painting work for...
MCM Fireplace Design Delima
Not sure what to do with our living room fireplace....