Not sure need help:) thanks
freygirly
Wondering what needs to change....?.....thanks :)
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Everything is just a little too golden yellow. The draperies need more color & just leave them hang...no more tying back from the middle. Or ditch draperies altogether & do some soft fabric roman shades. The sofa needs more color in pillows, your dining room chair seats need more color, & I would replace the mirrored pieces over your sofa with some artwork with more color. I would actually start with a new area rug & choose a color or 2 from that as your accent.
September 25, 2013 at 9:47pm        Thanked by freygirly
unwantedadvice
I happen to like your room. Crown molding is very nice and the furniture choices make your room seem serene. Drapery seems a bit on the heavy side though. I like the mirrored pieces over your sofa. What don't you like, if anything?
September 25, 2013 at 11:30pm        Thanked by freygirly
Rina
I would take the tassel, "I love you" board and wreath away from the table. But if their sentimental value is great and you don't have an alternative place, then leave them. They speak of you and your life. Paint the white skirting board a colour closer to the the wall colour, just a couple of shades lighter. Otherwise I would change nothing; the room is lovely and reflects a very definite taste. I suspect that the goldness of it is accentuated by the lighting in the photograph. If you look around and feel another colour could be introduced, I'd look at grey-green and old rose, subtly used. I love the leaded mirrors.

Possible cushions -- all from http://www.ehrmantapestry.com/Departments/Cushions-and-Pillows.aspx?sortorder=2&page=10
September 26, 2013 at 12:16am        Thanked by freygirly
classicinteriors
the drapes. undo the ties and open them up as far as you can. get rid of those mirror things behind the sofa. replace with some nice antique prints in narrow frames. Get rid of that pile of stuff by the lamp. put some pattern fabric on those chair seats!
September 26, 2013 at 12:24am        Thanked by freygirly
yvesun
I think it's cosy and inviting as is. If you are looking to add or change it up a bit, I'd put your lighting on a dimmer switch so that you can add more light when needed. Also add some warmth with decorative pillow covers with some punch like pumpkin, burgandy, lichen green, rusty reds. A lovely bunch of Sunflowers on your dinning room table will help transition it from summer to fall.
September 26, 2013 at 1:02am        Thanked by freygirly
classicinteriors
Thank you for the thank you! I really do love your basics and your first layer but somehow we all end up with that third or 4th layer that we have to peel away!
September 26, 2013 at 9:23pm      Thanked by freygirly
freygirly
Thanking all of you for the advice:) these are a few pictures of the same area. I would like for the rooms to feel more like a cottage? What should I do?
September 26, 2013 at 9:46pm     
studio10001
You do have a cottage feel! I agree w removing just a little, to let your special things breathe a tad more, and think by replacing some white bits with soft peaches,and creams, your palette will have a bit more depth and interest.
September 26, 2013 at 10:01pm      Thanked by freygirly
Rina
That's interesting. The colours look much lighter, so most of those cushions I posted above would probably look too dark -- though tapestry is very much in line with a cottage look. Right now the room is uncomfortably straddling a line between formal and cottagy. For example, the lovely dining chairs fit within a cottagey vibe (high-level cottagey, but still, okay). The table, not so much. A cottage might use a full tablecloth rather than a runner and formal line of accessories. Or put one big, round bowl of flowers, casually arranged, in the centre of the table, and nothing else. The curtains, which I like in themselves, are formal.

The display cabinet is much too crowded, even if you are going for a comfortably cluttered look. Take about half of its contents out, rearrange, and if it starts looking too bare for your taste, replace a few items. Think in terms of arranging the items in groups of one, three and five. Think of the groups as forming triangles, for the most part. Allow a little space between groups. If everything in there is dear to you, store the overflow and bring it out to swop items around every few months. It'll keep the look of the cabinet fresh. I would centre one bigger, quite simple item in the middle shelf of the top section to provide the eye with somewhere to go first, eg a plate or standing mirror. A piece of antique creamware would be perfect. This picture from http://www.rufusfosheeantiques.com/articles/creamware.html
September 26, 2013 at 10:25pm        Thanked by freygirly
New house. Can't decide on wall color
We are moving into a new house that I want to repaint....
Now what!
These are slipcovered and the color scheme I was trying...
need landscaping ideas
Nearing end of Project. Will spend 3 to 5 thpudand...
chemical allergies
We are going to paint our house for the first time...
How can i decorate on the top of cabinets?
What can i decorate on the top of the kitchen cabinets...