Kitchen update - backsplash/walls. Maybe more
mikehuff
First time getting involved in a conversation here. Hoping for some great ideas. Attached photo shows my kitchen as it currently is. We were looking at making a full change, but have decided to stick with the cabinets and granite we have in place. Stone is in great shape and a good color for us. Cabinets need some tlc but we have had a couple people tell us they can be easily addressed. On to the backsplash and walls. Probably flooring as well.

Biggest challenge for us is deciding on what to do with the walls. Though currently is to remove 6" granite backsplash and the larger block behind cooktop. We will replace with a nice natural stone design of some sort in complementary colors.

Currently thinking about a 4x4 natural on a diagonal with a framed design area over cooktop.

Another thought is to use some larger 12x4) split face tiles.
Our tile guy wants to carry tile all the way to ceiling. We are unsure about that but would appreciate thoughts. He is also thinking it would look good carried all the way over to and including then arched doorway.

10' ceilings, approximately 14' wide area. Kitchen opens into great room on one side. There is a tall and wide arched doorway on one side and another entry next to the double ovens. Sink on wall facing backyard with window above and good indirect light. There is also an 8' sliding glass door nearby.

Would appreciate thoughts on updating this area. Our theme throughout has been somewhat of a blend of Spanish/Tuscan/California. Cali-Spanish style home with neutral stucco exterior. Cherry and darker woods in furniture and trimmings. For scale reference the islans base is 57x27

Thanks in advance!
mikehuff
One clarification on style of our home. As I continue to look at pictures, I'd probably call it California-Mediterranean
September 26, 2013 at 11:39AM     
mikehuff
Oh, one more thing. Regarding flooring we are strongly leaning towards some of the newer wood look porcelain tiles in an 8" width. Color tone we liked carries some similar tones to what is currently installed
September 26, 2013 at 11:41AM     
Pure Home
Hello!

LOVE the concept of having a Mediterranean-inspired kitchen. Sounds very warm and inviting.

I found some inspirational images that might help:

Hillsborough Spanish Influence

Lake Home Kitchen

A Spanish Revival/ Spanish Colonial

Sincerely,

Michelle C., IIDA
Purehome.com
September 26, 2013 at 11:46AM     
Liza Jane Interiors
Mike. Hello. After looking at your photos I have a few recommendations. 1. DO NOT carry the tile all the way up to the ceiling. I would just concentrate on the backsplash area. You have a fairly busy pattern in your granite so I would chose a stone that does not have as much pattern. Keep it simple. I think a really warm mustard color for paint would be pretty (Ben Moore 193 Dijon). I would add some fabulous cabinet hardware. I would remove all of the small scale accessories you have on top of your cabinets and just go with a few choice larger scale pieces. Or...you could build out additional cabinets with glass door fronts? Finally, I would consider painting/staining the island cabinet base a different color. Good Luck!
September 26, 2013 at 11:49AM     
I would add glass front cabinets on top of yours so they go to ceiling. Add black rod iron pulls Long to cabinets. In glass cabs add colorful bowl sets like what you have now, just one per cab. Remove granite backsplash add a tumbled travertine. Tile. Behind stove a mosaic of a Tuscan scene. What wall space you have paint a taupe with gray undertones.
September 26, 2013 at 12:02PM     
Declutter. No tablecloth on table. Add a big Tuscan type bowl to table fill with green apples. Remove things from frig.
September 26, 2013 at 12:04PM     
On window. A woven shade in dark brown.
September 26, 2013 at 12:05PM   
Tile would be a waste to ceiling. Add cabinets like I said for a updated look. This kitchens looks 1990s.
September 26, 2013 at 12:06PM     
Pure Home
Agreed, travisinteriors - the tile to be use as backsplash and not to the ceiling. The mediterranean motif is a classic design.
September 26, 2013 at 12:12PM   
andj32
Just do a tile backsplash, might look odd going up to the ceiling with your style of cabinets. I do think you could add hardware and beef up the molding over your cabinets. Larger baseboards, window trim, and some crown molding could also help the space alot.
Sounds to me like your tile guy just wants more money!!
September 26, 2013 at 12:19PM     
LB Interiors
For backsplash ... go simple. I would go with your idea of stone and an insert. They are classic and beautiful. In your colors of course. Only backsplash and not to the ceiling.
Love this one!

September 26, 2013 at 12:31PM     
mikehuff
Thank you all for the great comments and suggestions. We very much appreciate them and hope they keep coming! Let me add a couple points;

Your comments about the tile to ceiling echo our thoughts. We have had a hard time envisioning this this, but we are seeing some indications this could be emerging. Very likely we will not do this.

Insofar as adding cabinetry on top of existing, I'm not sure how viable this is. These are original cabinets from our 2002 new build completion date. The contractor who did the work for the tract builder is not one I would ever want to work with. Travis, your 90s design look here is not far off. I suspect the builder completed this design in 2000/2001. :)

Tips about going simple are right in line with our thoughts.

More reply likely to come...I can't see the rest of the comments with this reply window open lol.

Cheers

Mike
September 26, 2013 at 1:22PM     
mikehuff
Declutter..yeah, it needs a bit. The table is covered because its a cheap wood laminate table and its starting to have some issues. We hate the tablecloth too. The fridge stuff, I ear you there too, but, this is a living active space...not a model home where everything will always be perfect. Your comment is heard loud and clear though.

As for the tile guy wanting more money...I don't think so. I usually read people pretty well and feel he is honest and open. References I've met would seem to feel the same. H has also steered us away from some places we thought we wanted but he advised against. This would have been a big chunk n his pocket there for the taking.

The kitchen is part of a lot other items we want to. Remodel on master bath, updating another jack/Jill style bathroom and two other small flooring areas are part of the scope.

Keep the ideas coming please. I hope to also post a photoshop mockup of some ideas.
September 26, 2013 at 1:29PM   
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
An idea I have for you is that the tile-to-the-ceiling could work very well here, as long as it stays on the back wall only (with just the below-cabinet area done elsewhere). ...laid in horizontal courses, creating the impression that the end of your room is actually a stone wall. ...perhaps alternating 4 x 4's with 4 x 8's, in horizontal courses, or better yet 6 x 6's alternating with 6 x 12's, in horizontal courses. ...mortar (light grey) colored grout with fairly substantial spacing to carry through the stone wall look
Should be a very uniformly light colored natural tumbled stone, perhaps Durango, Botticcino, or light Travertine - with as much edge irregularity as possible, for good visual texture without the color movement that would fight your granite.
I suggest no additional tile decoration at all. Not really room under micro-hood. The the stone show off for what it is.
I might do this on the floor, too... square-laid 12 x 12's?. Seems to me that the wood-grained stone would not be a good companion to my stone wall idea. Doesn't really look like a wood floor, and your genuine Tuscan room would have either an old stone or an old wood floor. For a wood look on the floor, medium colored hand-scraped real wood would be best, or a PVC floor that looks enough like it to fool most people (Karndean Art-Select "Hand-Scraped Hickory Paprika?) Good Luck! Mark
September 26, 2013 at 2:13PM     
mikehuff
@someones ... Good idea about one wall. We will certainly explore that possibility. I also appreciate the tips about floor types.

Cheers
September 26, 2013 at 9:58PM   
saltcitybabe
Do you have room on the island to have a larger top and a couple of barstools?
September 26, 2013 at 10:06PM   
mikehuff
@saltcity....no, probably not. At least not without giving up some other space like where the table is now. I do like that type of layout but not sure t can work here. Thanks for the idea
September 26, 2013 at 11:02PM   
Need help for my kitchen
Hi, we just bought a house,with terracotta floor, i...
Is it even worth it? Screen porch and return on investment. I'd love y
I would really like a screened in porch. We have an...
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
ideas for bathroom addition - space 6x17
shower only - with washer/dryer in area- some storage simple...