Particle board vs plywood
mamajennie49
September 26, 2013 in Other
I am in the process of getting custom cabinets made for my kitchen remodel project. Most companies that I talked to so far uses particle boards. I have the option to upgrade to plywood. What should I do?
I also need to make a decision on Alder wood vs Cherry. I am hearing things like Alder is a poor man's cherry. Alder will not hold up as well cherry. Most cabinet makers I talked to so far is recommending Alder.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Plywood. Cherry. Alder is more reactive to seasonal moisture change and nothing really looks like cherry but cherry. Particle board is....umm...junk, IMHO. What is the cost difference? Small or large? Quality costs...but not as much as doing things twice or living with a mistake.
September 26, 2013 at 9:24pm     
smileyface2013
Agree with Ironwood Builders. Plywood upgrade is worth it. Cherry is better than alder. Alder is often used if it is going to be painted, I think. What about maple?
September 27, 2013 at 1:29pm   
PRO
Linda
At an absolute minimum, anywhere that might get wet really needs to be plywood because getting wet just destroys particle board.
September 27, 2013 at 2:30pm   
PRO
REX DEGUZMAN CABINETRY
Twenty five years ago Alder was paint grade material. Cost was just about the same as Poplar. Years went by and more contractors and developers realized stained Alder has it's unique furniture-like appearance. As with anything in demand cost went up. Staining Alder requires an experience finisher. Compared to Cherry, Alder has the flexibility of taking a lighter natural color.
September 27, 2013 at 4:18pm   
Dennis Hartford
Also, both are "soft" hardwoods. That means that they are more easy to damage than a harder wood such as oak or hickory.
September 27, 2013 at 4:37pm   
Curt D'Onofrio
By virtue of having particle board suggested to you then i bet that you are getting laminated kitchen cabinets. If so, then if the lamination is done correctly the wood underneath will be completely sealed against wet/moisture conditions. The other difference is that particle board weighs a lot!!! more than plywood.
November 21, 2013 at 6:24am