Particle board vs plywood
mamajennie49
September 26, 2013 in Other
I am in the process of getting custom cabinets made for my kitchen remodel project. Most companies that I talked to so far uses particle boards. I have the option to upgrade to plywood. What should I do?
I also need to make a decision on Alder wood vs Cherry. I am hearing things like Alder is a poor man's cherry. Alder will not hold up as well cherry. Most cabinet makers I talked to so far is recommending Alder.
Ironwood Builders
Plywood. Cherry. Alder is more reactive to seasonal moisture change and nothing really looks like cherry but cherry. Particle board is....umm...junk, IMHO. What is the cost difference? Small or large? Quality costs...but not as much as doing things twice or living with a mistake.
September 26, 2013 at 9:24pm     
smileyface2013
Agree with Ironwood Builders. Plywood upgrade is worth it. Cherry is better than alder. Alder is often used if it is going to be painted, I think. What about maple?
September 27, 2013 at 1:29pm   
Linda
At an absolute minimum, anywhere that might get wet really needs to be plywood because getting wet just destroys particle board.
September 27, 2013 at 2:30pm   
REX DEGUZMAN CABINETRY
Twenty five years ago Alder was paint grade material. Cost was just about the same as Poplar. Years went by and more contractors and developers realized stained Alder has it's unique furniture-like appearance. As with anything in demand cost went up. Staining Alder requires an experience finisher. Compared to Cherry, Alder has the flexibility of taking a lighter natural color.
September 27, 2013 at 4:18pm   
Dennis Hartford
Also, both are "soft" hardwoods. That means that they are more easy to damage than a harder wood such as oak or hickory.
September 27, 2013 at 4:37pm   
Curt D'Onofrio
By virtue of having particle board suggested to you then i bet that you are getting laminated kitchen cabinets. If so, then if the lamination is done correctly the wood underneath will be completely sealed against wet/moisture conditions. The other difference is that particle board weighs a lot!!! more than plywood.
November 21, 2013 at 6:24am   
Solid plywood cabinets vs particle board?
Home in the ADK's heated and cooled year long. Will...
plywood vs particle board
I am redoing my kitchen...I am finalizing the design--but...
plywood or particle board cabinet box?
We are about to order frameless cabinets from Tedd...
Particle board/MDF/Plywood – Which one is the best?
Http://www.bonito.in/2014/particle-board-easy-ecology-pockets/...
Need to give these 1950's steps a makeover!
Round 1950's pebble crete steps are damaged and falling...
Entry Way Help Needed
Trying to get new ideas for the entryway. The left...
Plaster walls with too much texture
I have plaster walls in a bathroom in my 1929-built...
Kitchen diner extension
Hi We finally have planning permission for our rear...
Colourful photo frames - yay or nay?
Black, white or silver are your standard photo frame...