I need help to decorate my living room
amavuba
I need to decorate my living room that has all furnishers in dark brown. Iam intending to add a clear beige carpet so that I can create a contast and paint the whole apartment in white.
Liza Jane Interiors
Amavuba, hello. I like the idea of a beige carpet under all of the brown. If possible, I would replace the coffee table with something other than dark brown. Also, it looks as if you need some end tables, lighting and some accent pillows.
September 27, 2013 at 10:11AM   
amavuba
Thanks Liza.

I will consider the change of the coffee table. End tables, lighting and accent pillows are planned. I am also thinking to get chrome stand between the living and the dining area for some vases and pircture frames.
September 27, 2013 at 11:53PM   
chemayne
Have you considered changing the coffee table for something less chunky? Some ideas:
Roxburgh Cocktail Table, Chrome
Kayt Coffee Table
September 28, 2013 at 1:01AM   
Amavuba, you have a lot of brown and the beige carpet will still be neutral. So, consider focusing on one accent color - both blue-green/ aqua/turquoise and beige OR red and white do very well with brown. Pick one and focus on it for the additions - and buy one very large piece of art on a canvas that features tones of aqua or red - whichever you select. Art.com is one of my favorite places to look. Later, you will want to add drapery. Here is where a simple block print graphic in linen - perhaps in a soft tone will do a lot for you. Hang them wide of the window so they are pretty when open and make the window seem larger.
September 28, 2013 at 1:02AM   
Rina
Hi. I'd love to see a soft throw on the couch that picks up on the brown but introduces pattern and other colours. I assume that what is on the couch in the picture is not intended tobe part of the decor. I like the one below (see http://www.blankets.com/wibostthin4c.html), and it comes in four colourways -- all of which could look good in your room, I think, but especially the top right one. I agree you need big art above the couch, and the throw should be chosen to blend with that. You might also look at checked wool throws -- all sorts of things could work. But pick the art first. Some pictures would look best with a plain-coloured throw beneath them.

I like the way you are thinking with the stand separating the dining and living areas, and the beige carpet. Perhaps we could help you hunt for art if you let us know what kind of things you like. Bold, modern, traditional, subtle, energetic, peaceful, abstract? Strong colours, subdued colours? (I love art hunts.) I think you will also need art over the dining table, although a mirror might work well there too. Your name is African, yes? Would you be interested in art and accessories in an African style, or would you prefer to stay with the Western style you have going at the moment? They can be mixed very effectively.
September 28, 2013 at 1:31AM   
amavuba
All,

I am thrilled with all the suggestions on my request and I am very thankful.
September 28, 2013 at 6:04AM   
claudiann
Don't use beige carpet. It will show dirt and stains. Go with a darker color or pattern. A reddish one would be warm and rich.
September 28, 2013 at 7:19AM   
4thclark
You have a bit of a blank slate with a heavy emphasis downward so i would suggest you add items to soften up the space and create more movement. I would suggest adding items with a variety of heights to draw the eye up a soften the walls (plants, vases, bookshelves, floor lamp). Add artwork to the walls - maybe one or two big pieces by your dining table - maybe a landscape, city scape, or something depicting people in a social setting, maybe some type of series or collection on that hallway wall, and maybe one huge (mural-like) piece in the living room - a chance to pull in color). Mix up your art choices (paintings, photographs, posters, fabric/tapestry, found items. I cant see your ceiling, but maybe you could paint the ceiling a slightly different color than the wall - maybe pick a pastel version of a color that you're using with your decorations, but soft and subtle (colors I like for ceilings with browns are buttery yellow, celery greens, whisper pinks - but really anything can work since you have mostly neutrals). Lighting: candles, floor lamps, maybe a mirror to reflect light...Good luck!
September 28, 2013 at 7:33AM   
I need help decorating my living room and dinning room combination
I have an open area space kitchen with a large island...
I need help decorating my open living room/dining room
I am trying to redecorate this space and need help....
I need help to decorate my living room
I moved to a new apartment and it has dark brown wooden...
i need help in decorating my living room
hii, i need advise in decorating my living room to...
small bathroom floor
looking for a light grey tile, sorry no picture, but...
Couch ideas -style-colour-materials
I"m a mish mash of ecclectic traveled organic materials...
Need help! Man trying to design interior = bad idea.
Looking for some help with designing my living room/dining...
Exterior help
What can be done inexpensively to help iodate my 1960s...
what tile sealer to use on honed travertine tile
I need t have travertine tile sealed. Would like to...