Should I "decorate" the tops of my kitchen cabinets?
Betty Solomon
I just renovated my kitchen and have much higher ceilings and cabinets that would allow decorative items to be added on top. I'm just not sure about that look. Is it ok to leave them plain (i.e., empty)? or would something placed up there make the kitchen look more finished?
melwishes
Your kitchen is a dream - I would leave them empty because I don't like clutter and I wouldn't want to dust them, however, why don't you put a few things up there (from around your house) and see what you think. Good luck
September 27, 2013 at 5:51am        Thanked by Betty Solomon
If you want a clean sterile look leave them empty. If you want to infuse some personality put some unique, interesting pieces that make you smile up there. I like organized well thought out clutter;)Great kitchen Betty!!
September 27, 2013 at 5:56am        Thanked by Betty Solomon
Sustainable Dwellings
I love your kitchen!! I would probably fill the open soffits with "stuff", and you need some pieces (like Margo C. above), keeping clutter to a minimum.
September 27, 2013 at 6:16am        Thanked by Betty Solomon
Betty Solomon
Good idea to try some things out, melwishes. These pictures were obviously taken with absolutely nothing out and about. I had not begun to restock cabinets and countertops with anything. I'm slowly bringing things back in, but just wasn't sure what to do with the space above the cabinets. I'm a big plants person, so I thought of a plant, but then I'd have to get the ladder out to water it! ;-)
September 27, 2013 at 6:20am   
Alicia
Consider installing a mosaic tile mural over your cooktop.. maybe some scrollwork design ,, not too much pop of color.. for a focal point http://www.mosaicsyourway.com
September 27, 2013 at 6:20am     
Betty Solomon
Thanks for the idea, Alicia. I've actually just finished remodeling this space and went with just a simple herringbone pattern of subway tiles over the range. Not planning on tearing those out right after putting them in! ;-) But if you like mosaics, yours is pretty.
September 27, 2013 at 6:23am     
Loom Decor
Gorgeous space! For an easy, not overdone look, put some potted plants of ivy up there. Will really wake the space up, bring in some color, a natural element, and is super easy & low maintenance.
September 27, 2013 at 6:24am        Thanked by Betty Solomon
I having *stuff* on top my cabinets;) would not recommend anything that needs watering. No fake plants either ;)
September 27, 2013 at 6:28am     
Betty Solomon
Margo, Just for an example, what kind of "stuff" do you put on your cabinets?
September 27, 2013 at 6:29am   
I have a large Tuscany painted urn. A large tall clear glass vase filled with fake lemons and limes. A large scrolled red iron teapot. A large red iron rooster. I have a mirror on the wall behind some of this stuff. I have a large area and high ceilings so need large items. It is fun to add and subtract items pending mood;)
September 27, 2013 at 6:40am        Thanked by Betty Solomon
Lemongrass Interiors
Beautiful kitchen! Please no ivy... Simple and easy to dust is best if you feel like you must accessorize the tops of the cabinets. Do you have a nice collection of platters or pottery? Fewer large pieces will make a nice impact. I like the idea of sticking to a single color scheme... Maybe earthy greens or maybe a collection creams and whites to complement the backsplash. If you want to add sparkle instead, silver/polished pewter would work. Good luck!
September 27, 2013 at 6:41am     
No, no, no! Your kitchen is beautiful, classic, and streamlined. Don't clutter it up with silly stuff over the cabinets. You have made beautiful choices so far--trust your instincts.
September 27, 2013 at 6:46am        Thanked by Betty Solomon
lauriels
I love your kitchen. Either way it's beautiful. Is there anything you collect ? My friend put ( I know it sounds ugly but it's actually pretty) cookie jars above hers. My mom has a few longaberger baskets above hers and its beautiful. I have some decorative plates and a few vases. It's your space. If you like it plain leave it plain. You have to probably clean it and you have to love it. Put a few of your favorite things and live with it a few days and see how you like it. If you do put things on, post it please and again great job!
September 27, 2013 at 6:47am        Thanked by Betty Solomon
I could see something like this;)

September 27, 2013 at 6:47am     
Mitchell Channon Design
I think you're new kitchen looks lovely and I don't think you should put objects on top of the cabinets simply because there is room up there. I think it would detract from the general airy feeling of the volume of your space. What you could consider if you really do want to add some decorative interest is to hang some objects on the wall above the cabinets such as a collection of interesting plates (all in one color scheme). Empty space is OK. Think less is more!
September 27, 2013 at 6:48am        Thanked by Betty Solomon
Feeny- don't be calling my *stuff* silly LOL I put some *serious* *stuff* up in mine;)
September 27, 2013 at 6:50am     
Mitchell Channon Design
Hey! I just had another idea for your kitchen. Consider painting the ceiling a pale soft pastel aqua color or pale chartreuse (even better because it will extend the green from the outside. Look at B. Moore, "Pale Avacado" #2146-40. It will really highlight the new, higher ceiling and make all of the white really, really pop and make a strong statement. You will still maintain your light and airy look but even better. You will absolutely love it!
September 27, 2013 at 6:52am     
Gotta love a painted ceiling!!
September 27, 2013 at 6:56am   
Lemongrass Interiors
@mitchell great idea! I do painted ceilings on the coast quite a bit and they're always a favorite :)
September 27, 2013 at 7:01am     
Betty Solomon
I love these helpful discussions! what fun. I'm using yellow as my accent color. The island (you can't see it that well, probably) is SW Jonquil. And in the glassed cabinets near the windows, I'm displaying yellow china. I will post pictures of some of the things I've added in when I get a chance. But I love the suggestions so far. I will say that I'm pretty much ready to be done with the construction part, so although painting the ceiling doesn't seem that big a deal to you designer types, I'm sticking with what I have for now and adding the color in other ways.
September 27, 2013 at 7:04am     
holeinwall
I would put a couple of large items up there to draw the eye up. Some sort of sculpture type thing with clean lines and color.
September 27, 2013 at 7:11am   
holeinwall
These are on sale at seventh avenue.com
September 27, 2013 at 7:17am     
Debp
Your kitchen is beautiful. I would not add anything above. I feel it just adds clutter. Once you add the things to the countertops, it will be perfect. Less is more in my books. I do roll out paper towel on the tops of mine to collect the dust. Then just replace it every so often.
September 27, 2013 at 7:23am     
Denita
What a good idea Debbie...never thought of using paper towels to collect the dust.
September 27, 2013 at 7:28am     
Betty Solomon
That is a great idea, Debbie! Love it!

I really do think I'm a less is more kind of person, especially with the kitchen. I'm in love with it so far, so I don't want to mess that feeling up! ;-)
September 27, 2013 at 7:32am     
Hear, hear!
September 27, 2013 at 7:36am   
chrisinky
I like things on the top of cabinets. I like to collect antiques that are country life/farm related so I see cabinet tops as a great place to display those items, especially larger items. It has to be tastefully done though & not just a bunch of stuff thrown up there.

If you don't have something you want to show off, don't decorate it just for the sake of decorating it.
September 27, 2013 at 8:08am     
sunnydrew
Your kitchen is beautiful as is. If you want to put anything on top of the cabinets, the best way is to do a couple or 3 vignettes, of items together. If you go into a store like Home Goods or Pier 1, just look at some of the larger displays of vases or urns. You will need things that are tall, taller and tallest if you know what I mean. ( not a row of milk bottles) It would be helpful to see the area above the fridge and any other areas you would like.
September 27, 2013 at 8:16am     
Lisa LaFleur
If you add anything do varying heights and a few (3-4) groupings. Never overcrowd, leave space between the groupings.
September 27, 2013 at 8:16am     
Linda Darnell_DeCosta
I would keep it simple - paint that space above the cabinets with a nice accent color but leave the tops clutter free (decor free)
September 27, 2013 at 8:18am     
Renee Horn
I like the hanging light. Do you have the product info?
September 27, 2013 at 8:19am     
eelyram7
If you install some dimmable up-lighting it will highlight your dramatic ceiling and would be useful for mood lighting. When in doubt, always choose adding another layer of light over adding a layer of stuff. It adds richness to a space without adding clutter.
September 27, 2013 at 8:30am     
Alicia
So I can't talk you into a mosaic.. so in that case.. I wouldn't add anything on top .. I think I would get an amazing piece of sculpture for the island. and small wonderful pieces near the stove . no additional clutter .. the kitchen is lovely as it is .. esp the windows as the focal point.

Alicia http://www.mosaicsyourway.com
September 27, 2013 at 8:32am   
eelyram7 -- reminded me- I forgot to say I also have a layer of light over my *stuff* LOL
September 27, 2013 at 8:34am   
Julia Starr
Three glass canisters on the counter to the right of the stove and a low lying wooden bowl on the island. Anything else would probably look like clutter in this particular kitchen which is very lovely.
September 27, 2013 at 8:42am   
Patrica Montazeri
Beautiful kitchen, I hope to have something similar to this someday. I would leave them plain. Less is always more...and you will need to dust if you decide to decorate them. Also, it will take away from the lines of the walls and ceiling.
September 27, 2013 at 8:46am     
Betty Solomon
I do have the under and over cabinet lighting already. I agree: that adds a lot of interest in the space above the cabinets.
September 27, 2013 at 8:50am   
William & Mary
I know someone whose kitchen looks almost identical and she udisplayed her basket collection on top of her cabinets. It looks great.
September 27, 2013 at 9:02am     
William & Mary
Sorry I could not show more but there were people in the photo who might not approve.
September 27, 2013 at 9:03am   
Norma Sassone
Since the kitchen is rather traditional, I think a collection of blue and white plates (but not TOO many) and vases would look lovely, especially if you go with that sky blue ceiling idea!
September 27, 2013 at 9:09am   
karins
I love your range hood and subway tile backsplash. Very pretty!
September 27, 2013 at 9:10am   
Norma Sassone
photo of plates
September 27, 2013 at 9:12am     
M V
I think a bit of colour is needed. You've got lovely neutral tones throughout but maybe the space above the cupboards needs some contrast or a pop of colour. Whatever you would be comfortable with. You could paint the window wall the same colour to pull it together, above the tile. I feel like its colour that's missing more than adornment. Then if you still feel something is needed up top, I would recommend something that doesn't need regular attention or dusting. Maybe some nice pottery platters, or baskets. Lovely kitchen and you are so fortunate to have those high celings etc. Good luck with all of it.
September 27, 2013 at 9:24am   
Betty Solomon
Renee, the lights (both the sconce over the sink and the hanging one over the island) are from Pottery Barn... something like "Rustic Glass Pendant." I wanted something pretty simple and clear so that it didn't mar the view through the windows.
September 27, 2013 at 9:51am     
Betty Solomon
William and Mary, I might consider the basket idea you mention. I have a pretty large collection of handwoven baskets. I can always try a few and see what they look like. Thanks for the idea.
September 27, 2013 at 9:52am     
Caroline
It's a beautiful kitchen!! I have high cabinets myself and don't have anything on them. I love those windows, if you don't need privacy, leave them untreated.
September 27, 2013 at 9:54am     
Malika Bengston
I love the color of the wall panting can any body till what the name please. thank you .
September 27, 2013 at 10:08am   
chantalchanel
Less is more ;-)
September 27, 2013 at 10:17am   
Betty Solomon
Malika, basically everything is a shade of white: the cabinets are SW Dover White, the walls are SW Divine White, the trim around windows is SW Pure White. The island is the only thing that's not white: it's SW Jonquil, a soft yellow.
September 27, 2013 at 10:17am   
kcar66
I would say yes, in a couple of off-set spots for some color...tall vases, a neat bird cage or even a couple of pictures on stands.
September 27, 2013 at 10:22am   
petrilloandpetrillo
My very first inclination when I saw this was: "simple/paint/mural"- The clean lines of your beautiful kitchen deserve a little bit of something with interest to compliment- nothing too overdone and perhaps even something neutral like the ceiling here only do something like it on the wall above the cabinets:6313
or you could do something like tree tops and sky as shown here but envision it just the tree tops and sky done softly: muted. Lake Conroe Spanish,
here's another: Murals
but you can just do a houzz search on murals and find lots of other ideas...
September 27, 2013 at 10:26am     
grammiediter
Your kitchen is beautiful...I have large old pottery bowls above mine...I do use them, so they don't get too dusty.....if you put anything up there, remember to put a layer of paper or something under whatever 's there---it does get dusty!!!! Have you thought about maybe some kind of lighting?
September 27, 2013 at 10:29am     
Haven't read through all the above, but with your jonquil, I'd paint the ceiling a palest of warm pale blues and simply add soft and warm LED lights hidden behind the trim for a soft glow. You can get LED's that are a warm white - just holiday lights will do and they make a great night light for late night raids on the fridge.
September 27, 2013 at 10:29am   
B and C Construction
Beautiful Kitchen, the one thing that stands out to me is the lighting fixture over the island, its way to small for the space, if you fill up the space then you will not see all the void area in the high ceilings, I built a hanging soffit suspended from heavy chains (for lack of a better word) to match the cabinets, I raised the crown molding rather than having it at the top of the cabinets, thus lowering the ceiling height, I had to work with existing maple cabinets. I painted and trimmed out with white molding for contrast, all in all it made the ceiling flow in proportion to the cabinets. If interested in this look I have Ideas I could run by you ... all in all you have a great looking kitchen. PS we are still under construction thus the loose incomplete wiring, excuse the mess ....
September 27, 2013 at 10:36am     
grammiediter
I was reading over some of the suggestions (wonderful examples) I have to say the baskets in a kitchen tend to get "grungy" quicker when up high....harder to keep clean. Pretty though (I tried them first).......lots of good ideas!!!!
September 27, 2013 at 10:37am   
Alice Harper
I have varying sizes of wicker baskets (mostly picnic baskets from Home Goods) on top of my cabinets....not too many though.... a couple of big pieces of beautiful copper....it's such a 'warm' metal.....I would make sure that whatever you put up doesn't look wimpy and tiny....
September 27, 2013 at 10:43am     
leelee
I like your fixture over the island--it seems in proportion to the island which is small.

As far a decorating to tops of the cabinets. First, decorate the bottom half of your room so that your eye is focused on the living area.

Your kitchen is beautiful. Don't fixate on the tops of the cabinets until everything else is how you want it.

Hope you don't have to add curtains--love the light!
September 27, 2013 at 10:53am        Thanked by Betty Solomon
julesant
I just went through the same dilemma exactly in my white kitchen. I ended up going to Home Goods and getting several of their Italian pottery (plates, pitchers, vases) and doing two tableaus. They are very simple, not too Country French-ish, but they add just the right amount of color to the kitchen. I would also add some color to the walls to contrast with the white cabinets.
September 27, 2013 at 11:06am     
hjermey
I second leelee. Less is more! I can see some beautiful fresh flowers on the counter which only enhances the beautiful sunlight you have coming through those fantastic windows!

I would add a patterned, faux roman shade only, across the top of the lower window (or full working if privacy is an issue at night) and pull accent pieces for color on the counter from that.

What an awesome kitchen you have!
September 27, 2013 at 11:13am        Thanked by Betty Solomon
Elvira
I think with that size kitchen, you wouldn't really need anything up there once the counters have whatever you'll be putting on them.

On the top of my cabinets, I have a cookie jar collection. With my kitchen being very small, I thought why not showcase them up there? I really have no where else to put them. I've been in my house 15 years. So, by now, those cookie jars need a good cleaning. I did try once though and gave up. LOL
September 27, 2013 at 11:19am   
cindyguent
Love your kitchen but must say no to those baskets. Use one or two on the counters but I can picture some beautiful cobalt or aqua colored large glass or pottery pieces on those cabinet tops. I also love plants but you already mentioned the drawbacks. A bold framed print or lovely linens could echo the blue or green.
September 27, 2013 at 11:30am   
indianpatti
Beautiful kitchen!

I'm not a fan of "chachkies" anywhere .... especially on top of cabinets.

An interesting backsplash will add just enough IMO.
September 27, 2013 at 11:44am     
laurav507
Your kitchen is beautiful! How nice! I see no need to fill up the top of the cabinets.
September 27, 2013 at 12:01pm     
pbanovi
If it's too plain you could put some simple wall sticker with a quote... My favorite (you would have to change the layout):
September 27, 2013 at 12:08pm   
pbanovi
and I would suggest to get some "statement" lightning fixture which will be the focal point
September 27, 2013 at 12:09pm     
Sara Mabry
I just this week got cabinets in my utility room [12 wide 24 long converted garage] My walls are a soft buttercream, ceiling is granny smith apple green, carpet level loop emerald isle white cabinets and trim new 8ft sliding door, and 10 ft. ceiling My ceiling color is also dropped 9 ins with white trim I am also debating on decorating above cabs, I now have 2 items up I think I will like it , I am watching your posts to decide, you know you can always take it down, I also got smooth on one side grip on the other shelve liner to help with dust, everyone has dust matter how good you keep house, I have lived here 49 yrs. so my house has gone thru many changes.
September 27, 2013 at 1:06pm   
Terri Maines_Theisen
I think it really is a personal decision. I would prefer a bit of color to add interest.
September 27, 2013 at 3:57pm   
Sallie Cabrera
i'd rather add cabinets up to ceiling - can be glass or frost doors. trust me, after a year, cleaning those decors will be pain (I just did mine) - full of dust that were stuck in grease - yuk!
September 27, 2013 at 5:04pm     
babzie933
I think it's beautiful as is. I love the look of soft lighting above cabinets. You can buy the rope lighting at Home Depot. I put it under my cabinets and really like the ambience it adds! Nice job!
September 27, 2013 at 5:12pm   
melwishes
What about some very large black and white prints or black and white photos in black frames (or is that too early 2000's)?
September 27, 2013 at 9:37pm     
hogan
It seems to me you have gone very clean with your design by choosing a white backsplash with your white cabinets and simple lighting and it looks lovely!!! I would avoid adding things on top of the cabinets and cluttering. Keep things simple mabe a basket of apples and some fresh flowers will add the life you are missing from this beautiful kitchen!
September 27, 2013 at 10:34pm        Thanked by Betty Solomon
lucindalane
Personally, I like to put stuff on top of cabinets. However, your kitchen has so many architectural features-the windows, the slanted ceiling, and the cabinets themselves-that I don't think you need anything on the cabinets because there is enough visual interest going on "upstairs," IMO. Just decorating your counters and island with some color will probably be all you need to make your kitchen even more lovely than it already is.
September 27, 2013 at 11:31pm        Thanked by Betty Solomon
newbeginng2012
Put crown molding
September 28, 2013 at 5:46pm     
casbroshomestaging
I like the idea of having statement pieces on top. It's amazing how it shows of your art or favorite pieces you might have inside a cabinet.
September 28, 2013 at 5:51pm   
jmsei
We just selected white shaker cabinets just like yours! I like the molding at the top of your cabinets. It looks nice and clean the way it is...I plan to put very minimal decoration up on top.
September 28, 2013 at 5:56pm   
m3459
I always feel as if decorating the tops of your cabinets really dates a space.
September 28, 2013 at 6:00pm   
rmomala
This is a beautiful kitchen! I am thinking it would look nice open. Maybe add some mood lighting. Then during seasons or holidays you could add Decor for short periods such as some greenery and lights or cherry tree branches with blossoms.
September 28, 2013 at 6:25pm     
vickicz
Your kitchen is beautiful and inspiring.
September 28, 2013 at 6:28pm     
riktorscale
Ok my turn. Well it's safe to say you have done a great job with this kitchen And from the sounds of things you are. Very creative and understand your space very well.

Personally I find objects up there to be things that will collect dust and serve little purpose. I hate to dust, not very good at it lol.

If you feel the ceiling height is just too high above the cabinets and cause your cabinets to look unfinished, I'm guessing this is your concern. My thinking is try this.

1 . Put your objects back in and see how you. Feel about the space once it's repopulated.

2 . After that if you still feel that something high will help finish the look my suggestion is to try something in a wrought iron. Maybe just three pieces, has to be odd numbers. Maybe even a plate stand in wrought iron and some yellow themed plates to use your accent color. Some dark metal would compliment the bench tops and handles without adding a whole new element and would be low maintenance

Regardless you've got a beautiful kitchen that is classically beautiful and. Will look great for years to come.
September 28, 2013 at 7:18pm        Thanked by Betty Solomon
cindyguent
Can we see an updated photo of your kitchen with the things you use on display? Initial photo didn't yet looked lived in. (Please forgive me if I'm wrong but I couldn't live without "things" on my counters!)
October 2, 2013 at 10:21am   
Sheralyn Miller
Your kitchen is gorgeous, and I love that you used the same tile but in a different pattern for an accent over your range. I just had that conversation with a interior designer friend about the house hubby and I are building. I didn't want to date my kitchen (building a new old farmhouse) with a tile accent over the range. Even though the tile was muted, I/we decided best to nix the accent marble mosaic and just stick with the subway tile all the way. I used painted beadboard at the end of my kitchen for the backsplash on the side wall, but it's a bone colored subway tile everywhere else. I don't think you really need anything on top of the cabinets, but as suggested above, I do like the idea of hanging matching plates on the wall above if the space feels too empty to you...such a classic touch. Great job on the kitchen!
October 2, 2013 at 3:28pm      Thanked by Betty Solomon
ala423
What look do you want? If you like this clean, uncluttered look then this is what you should do.
October 2, 2013 at 3:38pm   
phagengilden
Don't do any more to the tops of the cabinets. It looks beautiful. And clean. And don't put any scrollwork or anything like that. I love your kitchen.
October 2, 2013 at 3:48pm      Thanked by Betty Solomon
JandB Kitchen Designs
Hi,
We always put a quick note to verify our experience: Brigitte and I have consistently designed between 70-90 kitchens/year for over 34 years. We've literally designed thousands of kitchens. We also design/build full structural including below-grade foundation plans.
Anyway, you have a beautiful, clean look. Don't ruin it with "chotskis" (spelling?). You do have a really great configuration of ceiling soffits over each wall cabinet run which is a really great place for above cabinet lighting on dimmers. Would give a great effect. Take a peek at our "page" and see the "Burr" kitchen. We put an outlet in the corner and he changes the light colors. Yours would be really trick with red/green low lighting during the Christmas season. Hope this helps.
John & Brigitte
October 2, 2013 at 4:02pm      Thanked by Betty Solomon
stpsmommy
Love your kitchen!! I'm in dilemma about a farm sink. Do you love yours? I stood at one yesterday and wondered if it was to low or to to close to my body than I'm used too.
October 2, 2013 at 4:05pm   
Betty Solomon
Thanks for all the comments. You're right, Cindy. I had not yet put any of my "stuff" back in the space when I took this picture. I will post another pic soon with a bit more color and personality. I do want to keep the clean look for the most part.

I already have the above cabinet lighting, J&B. I agree that it really does help to finish off the look. I'll take a look at your page also. haven't thought about using colors!

Stpsmommy, I do love my farm sink. It's actually 36" instead of my originally planned 30"--and I love it! Glad I went even bigger than planned. For me it's not too low or too close, but I can see that some might not like the feel of it. All I can say is I'm glad I went for it since I'd been wanting a farm sink forever!
October 2, 2013 at 5:28pm   
Ellen Horn
I have had the same problem and decided to put some items over the cabinets, as it really did look empty. I usd pottery and baskets , some high, some low and some vignettes. I am always tweeking it, but I like the look.
February 10, 2014 at 12:56pm   
dawncarter1968
What about some of those kitchen quotes painted on the wall above?
February 10, 2014 at 3:25pm   
Lion Windows and Doors
I recommend plain, if you will put bunch of stuff on the cabinets it will look busy, without all the decorate its look nice and clean.
February 10, 2014 at 3:38pm   
bostonstyle
Glass vases or jars in your accent color could be used there. The light will stream through them and create quite a sight! Cobalt blue would look great!
February 10, 2014 at 4:03pm   
amateurdesigner33
I'd leave it empty. Although I'd add wallpaper to that part
February 10, 2014 at 4:08pm     
zmhome
Another vote for empty. Your kitchen has a lovely, high end look to it, and I can't think of a single item that would compliment that. 99.99% of stuff on top of cabinets ends up looking cheap, in my humble opinion.

Either way- enjoy that gorgeous space! Its remarkable !
February 10, 2014 at 4:37pm     
nasmijati
I would not put any decorative items on top of the cabinets.

I suggest waxed paper rather than paper towels as a "liner" on the top of the cabinets. If there is greasy steam, the paper towels absorb it and might stick to the top of the cabinets, and waxed paper will not.
February 10, 2014 at 7:01pm     
agevm
Beautiful space. I vote empty, as well.
February 10, 2014 at 7:23pm     
mermaide
Tsotchke
It refers to knick knacks AKA dust collectors. A must to avoid.
It is a Yiddish word.
February 10, 2014 at 7:34pm     
ebz5
Lovely kitchen but i would leave it with nothing on the top of the shelves. it makes it more open and clean looking!
February 10, 2014 at 7:51pm   
laur658
What a beautiful kitchen! With the pitch of your ceiling leaving little room for some color pow, I could only suggest ivy also. I have more room above my cabinets and a cathedral ceiling so I do have a couple of large plates on stands that helps to not make it so boring.
I would maybe suggest painting the open areas that would compliment your kitchen??
February 10, 2014 at 9:05pm   
Brooke Finnigan
Someone probably said this but I'd live to see some greenery and baskets (fir the texture) pain in the ass yo water, but so pretty in that clean bright space. Thinking that keeping it in the fern family would be fun - different kinds of texture, colour, foliage but all connected/similar.
February 10, 2014 at 10:05pm   
SoCal Contractor
Art, art , art.
February 10, 2014 at 10:09pm     
CLynch That Property
I would suggest painting the kitchen in a darker colour. That would bring warmth to the room. Also, once things are placed on the units, it's sure to look different. I've attached an example below:
February 11, 2014 at 6:43am   
jacey22
Beautiful kitchen. I don't care for lots of things above cabinets but I do like a few well placed things. I do not care for the lined up looked with every inch covered. A large unique colorful plate on plate stand in corner towards sink. Maybe a large pitcher or urn on other side. One more collection of three pieces in another area. They need to be fairly substantial pieces because they will appear smaller up there. This is a good opportunity to add small pops of color! You can add a little uplifting toward corner object as well.
February 11, 2014 at 7:08am   
jacey22
That would be *uplighting not uplifting
February 11, 2014 at 7:08am   
Ann
I have the very same situation with big tall spaces above cabinets. I used to use silk plants but have removed all of those. Real plants are too hard to deal with up there. Now, I have about 3 different groupings of VERY large baskets (1-3 baskets per grouping) I would either leave all the space blank or put a few tight groupings of large like items together. Like the big blue vase Margo posted, but if they had two or three of them of different sizes (all big), that would be great for one area (not centered but kind of off to one side of an area). Then maybe a group of 3 or so very large baskets in a different spot and maybe good sized art hung on the wall in a third area. So, you'll end up with some interest but not a line of items. Lots of empty space and not overdone. Really big like items - different shapes (tall and skinny, short and fat) and orientations (lean a basket in a group). Or, just leave it all blank. What a beautiful kitchen. I was just in Pottery Barn the other day looking at big sets of things and this lantern set caught my eye for a similar pupose. The big one is nearly three feet tall and they're quite nice in person. If I buy them and group them on a high ledge, I'll leave them empty without candles.
February 11, 2014 at 7:12am     
Cabinets To Go
Love your kitchen! If you think you can reach up there to dust and clean that area, we recommend putting plates, decorative pictures/paintings, or even plants to warm the space up that match the color scheme of your kitchen, similar to this picture:
February 11, 2014 at 8:48am   
Need suggestions for updating china closet
Just painted dining room SW sand fossil, replaced light...
Redo or replace?
Any hope of saving these old cabinets? Kitchen redo...
exterior lights
May be a silly question, but I'm going to be putting...
Refrigerator clearance
How much room do I need in front of an open freezer...