How wide should vanity light be? Two-light or three-light?

Diane KrajcikSeptember 27, 2013
We are totally remodeling our master bath and I don't know if I should get a two-light or three-light fixture above each mirror. The plan shows a built-in mirror, but we are using two wall-hung mirrors. The mirrors are 31" wide by 43" high. The wall space where each mirror will be hung is 44" wide; the ceiling is 10' high; the height from the counter to the bottom of the molding on the center cabinet is 55". Should the vanity light above each mirror be smaller, about the same size or larger than the width of the mirror? And should the lights point up or down?
Creative Innovations & Designs Inc
Are you set on a bar sconce? What about a single pot light centred above each sink, then single sconces on either side of the sink- one on the wall and the other on the side of the cabinet. This look is elegant and give you even lighting on the face. Doing a wall sconce, I think a 2 light is adequate for the amount of light but a 3 light would fill up the space better. Consider bringing the mirror to the ceiling and mounting the sconce on the mirror.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 8:15AM
printesa
I also like pendants on each side of the mirror; something like this. You can pick pendants that fit your style, which seems to be more traditional.
2007 'Milwaukee Home and Fine Living' Best of Competition Award Winner · More Info
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 8:33AM
Ashley Marie
i really like your model! i'm looking to renovate my kitchen and master bath and would love to know how you made your picture?
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 1:36PM
smileyface2013
I'd go with two lights on each mirror, facing down. Three could be blinding. Scale is as important as the number of lights, and for that space I'd go with a medium size, medium width fixture.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 1:39PM
Sweetlake Interior Design LLC
You can do 3" recessed cans in the ceiling. Line four of them up in straight row. Then center a pendant light on each side.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 1:53PM
David C Bos Homes
It depends on the lights, we have done a couple similar to your design, one has 2 lights, the other has 3, but each one is spaced a bit differently. Take a look.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 2:13PM
mmilos
I like the two light fixtures because it repeats your double theme...two sinks, two mirrors, etc.

I also prefer the lights to be installed down...it seems to give better light where you need it (sink and mirror vs. ceiling) and the shades stay a bit cleaner.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 2:38PM
LBC Lighting
In a master bath, wall sconces or pendants that flank the mirrors eliminate shadows on your face and help with make-up application or shaving. Lights over the mirror are best only for secondary bathrooms or powder rooms and they should be smaller than the width of the mirror.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 2:50PM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
I agree with the "aim the lights down" advice above. Your mirrors seem quite tall for the space, making me favor the single sconce lights at each side idea shared by your first responder. If you use wall-mount lights above the mirrors, I think they should finish our a bit below the crown on your center cabinet. Placement that creates a nice painted wall "frame" around all four sides of the mirrors seems important to me. Have fun! Mark
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 2:52PM
Doreen Le May Madden
Mount sconces directly to the mirror (holes are needed for the wire) with one on each side for the best lighting effect. You can also use pendants but you need to be careful not to hit them by accident causing them to bang into the mirror,
    Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 7:25AM
Iris Design Studio
Why not use a mirrors with lights incorporated in them? You can order these at any size
Project: Perito Moreno Large - Contemporary Wall Mirror With Lights · See Project
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 9:13AM
PPF.
old post
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 9:45AM
Sweetlake Interior Design LLC
Is the light bulb cut into the mirror then hardwired in. Is the mirror on standoffs...Is this Photoshoped, the mirror size is it custom? Love it....................
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 7:23PM
Sweetlake Interior Design LLC
I half to say, I have been doing this for a long time, this is a conversation piece...This vanity light fixture is a winner! Defiantly, one of the most creative vanity light fixtures I think I have ever seen! I blogged on this a year ago, " Why you should not to use a vanity light fixture' WOW you guys brought a new light to it! ...Funny, cool and good luck!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 7:36PM
Doreen Le May Madden
I would have liked to see them vertically installed right and left on the mirror for better face lighting.. 3 on each side with the middle one centered vertically on the mirror. I know of these sconces - great look-
    Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 6:54AM
International Q3029-15 Functional Three Light Semi-Flush Ceiling Fixtu
How far does it hang down from ceiling? Is the shade...
Sherril Lilly
Are there two dark walls and two light walls or three light and one dark?
Also, if there are 2 of each, are they opposite one...
Jennifer Martinez
Need help with spacing and size of vanity lighting
My master bath vanity is 6 1/2 feet. There will be...
pdx7700
Need help with stainless sink
Has anyone ever heard of Hazelton sinks? It's the only...
ljsouthwick
White Kitchen Cabinets Just Now Completed By Lily Ann Cabinets
Hello Friends, i would like to share with you recently...
Lily Ann Cabinets
Colors that compliment Functional Gray by Sherwin Williams?
I've already started another post about bedroom colors...
Ryan Kelley
Please I need help with my living room space
I don't have any idea how to decor my living room.I...
yvonne0815
Need layout input!
We have a split level home, the entry level consists...
Michelle Fraedrich
Sponsored Products
Solana Margarita Glass - Set of Four
$26.99 | zulily
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Scottsdale 52 in. Indoor Oiled Rubbed Bronze Ceiling
$79.88 | Home Depot
Striped Yellowfly Fish Double
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Jonathan Adler Parker 30 1/4" High Buffet Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Chatham Velvet Button-tufted Double-arm Vanity Bench
Overstock.com
Stonegate Designs | Wisteria Wall Sconce
$251.16 | YLighting
Hudson Valley Arlington Traditional Wall Sconce
1800Lighting
Rectangular Yellow Linen Shade With Clear Crystal Drips Pendant
ParrotUncle