Before and After granite...need cabinet advice now.
cluck29
We bought this house with a granite allowance and agonized over what color to choose, ended up with Blanco Leblon. We love it, but now I can't stand the oak cabinets. We also added a stainless fridge and Electrolux induction range in the island.

We need to paint and put up a backsplash, and since those tie in to the overall look - I'd prefer to have a master plan, even if it's a gradual process. I'm considering having someone paint the cabinets white (no idea on that cost....estimates anyone?). And we love the look of glass or basic white ceramic subway tiles for a backsplash up to the bottom of the cabinets. Maybe a fun paint color on the island?

OR, paint only the uppers white and leave the oak on lower cabs? The issue, aside from cost, is that we can't paint the windows because that will void the warranty.

OR, leave the oak alone?
Would love to hear what others would do...and see pics if you've left some oak with painted cabs. Thanks!!
Lemongrass Interiors
I would paint all of the cabinets, then the wood on the windows will just be an accent. I like the idea of painting the island an accent color. I can't tell the tone of the cabinet hardware, but that's an easy update as well.
Are the floors a travertine-look tile?
September 27, 2013 at 7:17am   
cluck29
I'm not entirely sure what travertine is supposed to look like, but here's a closer view of the tile. I hate this flooring too but that's a future project unless it ends up looking fine with however we do the cabinets, walls and backsplash.
September 27, 2013 at 7:27am   
cluck29
Cabinet hardware is like stainless. My husband likes it...but if it doesn't match with white, I can convince him to change it.
September 27, 2013 at 7:29am   
Lemongrass Interiors
Gotcha...I think the stainless works just fine. I was thinking an off white for the cabinets and then either a darker color for the island. Do you mind also posting a close up of the granite?
I have a couple of colors in mind...
September 27, 2013 at 7:36am      Thanked by cluck29
chungv
Off white cabinets and rustic gray for island? I'm no professional but I love that look!
September 27, 2013 at 7:40am   
cluck29
I initially wanted gray cabinets but I think we decided it wasn't right with the oak. Here is the granite, it has specks of garnet and black/charcoal. Next to it is a thought for the island.
September 27, 2013 at 7:47am     
chungv
Gorgeous!
September 27, 2013 at 7:52am   
Lemongrass Interiors
That's pretty much what I was thinking for the island. As long as it's a warm, taupey gray, it'll work well with the granite and the floors.
I like Benjamin Moore Cromwell Gray HC-103 which looks a little lighter than the one you have (probably like yours better :) )
Then for the main cabinet color, try BM Pale Oak OC-20 or Dove Wing OC-18. Best to just look at them in the room and see how the lighting affects the tone.
September 27, 2013 at 8:02am   
cluck29
Thanks! Any thoughts on backsplash and wall? I almost want to do a icy pale blue subway tile, but I have no sense of color at all! Lol
September 27, 2013 at 8:18am   
cluck29
I love this kitchen....
September 27, 2013 at 8:20am     
soberg
Beautiful granite! (And I'm not usually a granite fan.) The right pale bluish gray subway tile will look fantastic. Just hold up a color sample - if it's right, you'll know. And if you're not sure, then it's not right. Try Wedgwood crackle blue tile (available in 3" x 6" subway and many, many other sizes) from Sonoma Tile - I believe it is their Stellar series.
September 27, 2013 at 8:23am        Thanked by cluck29
indianpatti
Cluck, if you really love that pic of the kitchen w/the blue tile, why don't you keep your island and bottom cabs and just paint your uppers white?
September 27, 2013 at 8:32am      Thanked by cluck29
chungv
I would have never have pictured the combination in your inspiration picture ... But I LOVE it! Go for it!
September 27, 2013 at 8:38am      Thanked by cluck29
cluck29
indianpatti, my only hesitation is that my oak is way more orange-ugly and I'm not sure I can pull it off with that much oak left unpainted. It's a thought though, for sure.
soberg, I'll look that tile up, thanks!
September 27, 2013 at 8:42am   
Lemongrass Interiors
I like @soberg's tile suggestion - also like the mist color.
I like the kitchen you posted (very homey), but not sure oak is going to give you the same look. But just like with salt, it's easier to add than to take away....so start by painting the uppers, live with it for a week or two, then if you're still not in love, you can tackle the lowers and the island :))
September 27, 2013 at 8:44am   
Martha Relan
I find oak cabinets dated. But painting them a different color on top from the base cabinets would really give the room a lift. And white subway tiles for a backsplash would be great. How about a dark, dark drown stain on the base cabinets and white or cream paint on the upper cabinets?
September 27, 2013 at 8:45am   
Do not paint cabinets. You will not like it in the long run. Stain them. Darker,add brush nickel hardware to update look. Back splash a solid dark gray,subway. Cabinets could be stained to look like reclaimed wood in the blue grays. Add glass to a couple of doors. It looks great so far.
September 27, 2013 at 8:52am   
Lived that you raised island. Add bar stool, in a metal. Restoration hardware has some great looks. Go on line to see. 2 should be enough
September 27, 2013 at 8:54am   
Add roman shades to windows. Darker than wall color. I like the grays. Sherwin and Moore both good.
September 27, 2013 at 8:55am   
You might want to change out light over island. Go more industrial. In brush nickel.
September 27, 2013 at 8:56am   
Nothing on top of cabinets. Could take cabinets to ceiling by adding glass fronts. For interest.
September 27, 2013 at 8:57am   
Flooring ok. Paint all trim white. Oak is dated.
September 27, 2013 at 8:58am   
Do not do two different cabinets in this room. Looks choppy and unfinished.
September 27, 2013 at 8:59am   
Santa Cecilia granite...need backsplash ideas please
White kitchen cabinets, ss appliances, orb hardware,...
Please help - need advice on wall color after refinishing cabinets
Just refinished my (dated) oak kitchen cabinets using...
Need advice before I hire refinisher for kitchen & bathroom cabinets
House is 25 yrs. old; Kitchen small-ish but workable...
Got new granite countertops, now need to paint cabinets, walls
We just had Venetian gold countertops installed, and...
Need Help Combining Dining and Living Rooms - NYC Apartment
My wife and I need to combine our dining room and living...
Exterior Paint for Front Door
My house is newly painted B.M.Jute.The painters just...
Need Help Designing and mapping out placement for our 1st baby!
We are expecting our first little girl this August....
Backyard Ideas
Hi I recently pulled out bushes that our builder had...
How do you accessorise your bed?
Some people love piling on cushions on their beds,...