Need help with an accent color
ashleybeamon
September 27, 2013
I have this living room set but unsure what color to accent with thinking maybe turquoise, raspberry, or deep purple. Please help or give other suggestions...
Norma Sassone
Since grey is such a neutral, you could spice it up with any of those colors, thought they are all "cool" colors. For a warmer look you could try orange, red, or yellow. Yellow and grey is my fave, but that is just personal taste.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    September 27, 2013 at 9:33AM
purehome
Freshen your space by bringing the outdoors inside. Incorporating nature-inspired colors such as greens and browns to your color scheme. Liven the room with striking foliages. It makes a great contrast between the two and feels more inviting.

Hope this helps!

Warm regards,
Michelle C., IIDA
Purehome.com
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    September 27, 2013 at 9:44AM
Add splashes of yellow in pillows lamps, area rug bigger and brighter.
    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    September 27, 2013 at 9:48AM
leelee
Any of the colors you've mentioned would work. I like the raspberry idea. Your room looks amazing but somehow the rug doesn't look quite right. A larger rug with less of a patchwork pattern in your raspberry color could really add a splash.
    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    September 27, 2013 at 10:25AM
Yellow or citrus green will work, but I like turquoise too because you can layer it in several shades of the color - from the pale porcelain blues, to the muted aquas, to bright turquoise and even dark teal. Since this is a bit matchy - (tho good prints!) I vote you move that throw rug elsewhere, and start with a deep teal rug - here's a sale http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=&taxonomy=sub607&refinerug+size=6%27+x+9%27&searchtype=guidedNav&additionalKeywords=teal#Home-Garden/Teal-Grey-Area-Rug-67-x-96/6650178/product.html?refccid=3G7EFS7RNA4JEOKKRYVVURNDGQ&searchidx=1
Add a craigslist piece of storage furniture to the room painted this muted furniture tone aqua - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/aegeanteal
Put up some art that is predominantly turquoise - http://www.art.com/products/p12341601-sa-i798108/georges-braque-l-oiseaux-bleu-et-gris.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=207272&ui=7aec9b35f71a44e78361bea6d77e039d&ssk=modern+abstract+canvas&sby=all&searchstring=modern+abstract+canvas cropped and mounted in the larger size - $80 for a classic
Add a box to a table covered in turquoise linen or painted with high gloss paint from the craft store . . . voila . . .

you may want to move some of the accent pillows to another room . .
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    September 27, 2013 at 10:27AM
Liza Jane Interiors
I like all of the ideas above but I would say the yellow is my fav.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:52AM
ashleybeamon
Hi guys! So I decided to go with the mustard yellow as an accent color. I need help with a rug choice, Please and thank you :)
    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 6:39AM
Hard to make recommendations without seeing the actual room, but here are two with your color palette in mind. Both are from West Elm.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    September 30, 2013 at 6:59AM
ashleybeamon
the room is pictured above
    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 8:11AM
indianpatti
Love yellow with your colors as many have already suggested ... chartreuse is nice too.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    September 30, 2013 at 8:15AM
@ashley, interesting. Do all your home photos have watermarks that say Home Elegance Furniture?
http://homeeleganceusa.com/shop/index.php/living-room-1/stationary/living-room-sets/levon-charcoal-living-room-set.html
    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 9:11AM
ashleybeamon
No its just a picture of the set I have not my actual living room.
    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 9:13AM
Then I repeat: hard to make recommendations without seeing the actual room. There are lots of things that go into a room including size, shape, lighting, wall color and texture. A room is much more than a furniture set.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 9:17AM
ashleybeamon
Thanks for all the wonderful input; here are the pictures of my actual living to help better decorate my space. Please and thank you!
    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 6:54AM
Thanks for the new photos. They help a lot. You definitely need some color and your instincts are right with raspberry and teal. How about a bit of both? Your rug is too small anyway, and you could use some art on those poor bare walls.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 9:42AM
nzsailormoon
@groveraxle I like what you did there. How did you add the extra pieces? Is it a program? Many thanks
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 9:49AM
nzsailormoon, I use Photoshop's poorer cousin, Photoshop Elements.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:08AM
Two more looks:
5 Likes    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:09AM
ashleybeamon
@groveraxle I love your looks! Do you have anymore with the raspberry accents.
    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:28AM
nzsailormoon
Thank you! I will give it a go :)

Loving the chartreuse photo!

I have a similar suite. The great thing with grey is it works well with so many combinations. My personal faves are green & white; Teal & yellow; and navy.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    October 1, 2013 at 11:30AM
ashleybeamon
@groveraxle Can I send you my kitchen.
    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:39AM
nancyann0277a
I love reading discussions to see what groveraxel shows. Usually are right on. Beautiful.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:53AM
Grover right on. Always comes though. Like the yellow or lime. It all works. Color is your friend. Don't be afraid. It's only pillows etc.
    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 11:57AM
ashley, I could really use a new kitchen. I imagine postage will be prohibitive, though. Why don't you post a new dilemma with your kitchen so you can capture all the expertise available?

In the meantime, I am going in search of raspberry.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 2:38PM
leelee
Push your two sofas about 6 or 8 inches apart at the arms. Looks like they're touching.

Get a way bigger rug and more art.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 2:55PM
Raspberries appear to be out of season. This was the best I could do. I'm not crazy about any of these looks. They push the raspberry too hard, I think. None of these speak to me because I don't think it's the way your room wants to go.
    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 3:58PM
ashleybeamon
You're right I'm sticking with the first pic! Are those items available for purchase? Your humor is refreshing!
    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 4:15PM
I got the rug at plushrugs.com and the photo at art.com. I'll see if I can find them for you, though I have two more renderings for you to consider. Your room seemed to want Paul Klee. I'll upload these, then go find your rug and art print.
    Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 5:28PM
ashleybeamon
@groveraxle Where can I find the orange/raspberry pillow and table décor in the first transformation picture?
    Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 5:54AM
ashley, I actually don't know where you can get those exact objects. When I do a rendering, for common things like pillows and bowls and such, I just steal images from google and figure you'll be able to find something like it locally. In fact, you might notice that little bowl on the table has been recolored for each different rendering, so that piece doesn't actually exist. But let me see what I can find that you can actually buy. I'll be back.
    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    October 4, 2013 at 6:37AM
http://www.etsy.com/listing/104293864/2-handmade-designer-accent-pillows-12?ref=sr_gallery_41&ga_search_query=red+orange+pillow&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all
http://www.etsy.com/listing/155545180/woman-sculpture-butterfly-female-woman?ref=shop_home_active
http://www.etsy.com/listing/89258743/whimsical-cat-coin-bank-fat-cat-with-a?ref=sr_gallery_41&ga_search_query=teal+ceramic+sculpture&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all

A few things I found linked above and pictured below. The pillows are very close to the one you liked; $65 for the pair.

The sculptures shown are whimsical and the kind of things I would choose. I especially love the little woman; she's interesting and fun. For your table decor, just choose something you love that will make you smile every day.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    October 4, 2013 at 7:37AM
KShoa
@groveraxel has done a great job with the color combinations, but I agree, the raspberry doesn't quiet look that great.

Check out my artwork for ideas on those empty walls. I have many originals, and hundreds of combinations of canvas prints that I can print to the size you choose.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Enjoy decorating!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by ashleybeamon    October 4, 2013 at 10:44AM
need help with kitchen accent colors......
Cabinets are ivory, appliances are stainless and walls...
malcolm7198
Need help for picking up accent color for kitchen
Hi ! i picked cafe creme granite for my kitchen. It...
veena179
Need help for an accent color!
my living room has gray walls with black and white...
isabellemedeiros13
Need help with accent wall color and powder room color
Can you please give me advice on paint color? Our Whole...
grumpeon
Need help with accent color and accent pieces, chair cushion color
I just bought this curtain, i want use flowers as...
Zaira Islam
Wall lamps for vanity table?
Now that I have my bedside lamps I place, I'm considering...
Sheriff821
basement island
Planning on new island which will wrap around each...
Jane McClendon
Help for Dorm Room
This is a new post related to my dorm room. I have...
wthrwthr
Please help in bringing some life to my living room...
Hi, We moved to our place few months back and since...
arunanegi
Damask wall to wall carpet?
Painted a large basement room that includes a small...
cguinard