Yes to mirror backsplash or NO.
NicoleSeptember 27, 2013
I have a mirror backsplash in the kitchen that was installed 15 yr. ago. Can anyone tell me if it's outdated style and needs to be replaced?
mmilos
Outdated. It just reflects clutter on your countertops and makes it look more cluttered (and your counters are NOT cluttered). Replace it with white subway tile to tie in your appliances.
9 Likes    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:13AM
Liza Jane Interiors
I agree with Mmilos. Your countertop has a busy pattern, so I would choose a tile that is fairly plane with minimal pattern. White tile may be too stark.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:16AM
karemore55
Mirrored backsplash isn't so hot these days, but if you like the look, you could consider back-painted glass which is quite popular.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:16AM
holeinwall
agree - its outdated.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:17AM
Nicole
To Liza Jane...I agree that I would rather match backsplash with the kitchen floor tile or cabinets b/c appliances eventually will be replaced. I think to put a glass backsplash to match the color of the floor or the cabinets. It has different pattern in it.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:26AM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Yes, beyond the question of whether or not it's in fashion (it's not) is the fact that it hurts your look, as others have spoken. The very busy impression it gives pulls your eye away from your nice counter tops. I tend to agree with Liza on a quiet, gentle solid color tile. This change will help a great deal. Good Luck! Mark
1 Like    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:28AM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
And as I look again, an inexpensive style upgrade would be to bring in some new door-drawer hardware in the pewter-brushed nickel family.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Nicole    September 27, 2013 at 10:30AM
purehome
You have gotten some good feedback here. I agree with Liza Jane Interiors, installing a tile back splash is your safest bet.

Warm regards,
Michelle C., IIDA
Purehome.com
1 Like    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:30AM
Nicole
Michelle, I like that kitchen design picture. Thank you for your comment. I am thinking to put a glass tile backsplash similar color to the cabinets just a little lighter. The cabinets also match the floor tile. What do you think? Thank you again.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:52AM
Nicole
karemore55, I saw the back-painted glass backsplash pictures. They look interesting but I am afraid that style won't last long. :o( I look for something that doesn't go out of style too often.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:57AM
Yale Appliance + Lighting
How about a nice tile...and a slidein stove which we will not interrupt....
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 11:08AM
Nicole
I know...a lot of things have to go in my kitchen. :o( Regarding the tile...I want to put a backsplash myself so the tile will be hard for me to use since I don't have special saw to cut it. That's why I picked a glass backsplash. I am very new to this. I did find a glass-tile mixed backsplash but I run into the same issue with cutting the stone.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 11:19AM
Nicole
Here is a couple of backsplash samples that match the most in my opinion:
5 Likes    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 11:29AM
purehome
Hi Nicole! To answer your question, absolutely! It's such a clean and cohesive look to have the cabinetry in the same wood tone as the floor.

Agreed! A lighter color in the tile is best. This is my favorite tile attached! Just a slight tint of color as opposed to the kitchen photo above, but same concept!

What an exciting project! Please post 'after' photos. Would love to see your kitchen fully remodeled.

Sincerely,

Michelle C., IIDA
Purehome.com

2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Nicole    September 27, 2013 at 11:50AM
purehome
By the way... Love your photo to the right, Nicole! Mixing glass and stone materials is a great way to add texture!! It feels warm and inviting!
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 11:55AM
jabbott2012
Nicole, give the tile cutting a try. I do it all the time. You can buy a tile saw for a decent price, or Home Depot might even rent one.

Just go slow during the cutting process and do it in an area where it's okay to make a mess. And if you're cutting glass tile, wear a face guard. I know it sounds like over-protection, but those little tiny glass shards will fly everywhere.

You can do it!
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:02PM
Nicole
Thank you jabbott2012. I would definitely need glass protection. I want to see if I even will be able to remove the mirror myself. It's not very big area. Youtube is very helpful to show how things can be done but it seems always look easy when it's done by a professional. :o)
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:06PM
PatioProductions
Nope. You can't do mirrors on back splashes anymore. SURE they make the room look bigger but they just don't look good anymore. Neither does wall to wall shag carpet, vinyl floors and bars on your windows : )
    Bookmark   Thanked by Nicole    September 27, 2013 at 12:07PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Mirrored back splashes NEVER looked ok. Not even ever. Sorry, but the rest of your kitchen may be OK, can't see past the mirrors.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:29PM
karemore55
Nicole, I agree with jabbott2012 that you can tackle this as a DIY job using youtube videos and by renting the tile saw from Home Depot. I am not handy at all, but my hubby is and he learned to do our tile cutting and installation several years ago. It wasn't hard at all to do a good job. He has also installed the linear mosaic and says its a bit trickier, so you probably should go,with 3X6" tiles to start with.

To remove the mirror, again lots of advice just by googling, but you can use painters tape to make X's all over the mirror and then tap it with a mallet so that when it breaks, the pieces. Lastly just get stuck to the tape. It would be quite a bit less mess this way.

I have also found the people at Home Depot to be quite knowledgeable, so talking to someone in the tile department will give you more info. Good luck - you can do this!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Nicole    September 27, 2013 at 12:32PM
Nicole
Sustainable Dwellings I know. Unfortunately it wasn't my idea to put mirrors. I would never do that. :o( It was done b/c the living room has accent wall covered with big mirrors to make the room look bigger, so I guess someone decided to put it in the kitchen too.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:34PM
Sustainable Dwellings
I know. I'm so sorry. Now all you can do is tape it, then bust it out, carefully. Wear good leather gloves and be careful with the waste... Then, re-tile it! It won't even cost a fortune and you will be able to sleep at night. Good luck, it will be good.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:51PM
Nicole
Sustainable Dwellings you are very inspiring. Thank you. :o)
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:54PM
Nicole
Sustainable Dwellings would you please look at my bedroom post. I have an unusual idea in my opinion. No one seems know anything about it.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:59PM
rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
Yes, a good choice on deciding to replace the mirror. Good luck and have fun.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Nicole    September 27, 2013 at 1:02PM
Deborah Palmer
You can look into PVC backsplash which comes in 25 foot rolls, resembles the look of tin tiles for a much more affordable price. It is flexible, easy to trim and to install onto smooth, clean surface with an adhesive product. Available in a variety of designs and color finishes such as copper, silver, white, cream, gold, blue and black. www.deborahdesigns.net
1 Like    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 5:45PM
ncollado
Definitely replace it. Here is an idea.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 9:44PM
classicinteriors
Slow down there! Mirror back splashes are back IN. We in the know.....know this! Take a peek
However if you insist....You have a bigger problem than you are aware of. When you take the mirrors off the drywall you are going to rip the paper that is on the drywall off and most likely some chunks of the drywall itself. I have no doubt about this. Your next problem is with the drywall itself. While I read people on the internet saying you can put tile right on drywall this is not the right way to do it. The tile is going to go on the wall with either mud or glue. At any rate all the tile hanging on the drywall gets heavy and since the surface was not correct to start with you end up with tile falling off the wall. Unless you have a tile saw and are rather skilled this is not a DIY project in any way shape or form. PVC black splash also has a few problems in that you can not let it get anywhere near heat otherwise it warps. What I would change from the small amount I can see from your photos are the knobs and the white appliance. I would rather see black or stainless appliances.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:18PM
classicinteriors
You might if it is affordable to you, have the cabinets painted.
The cabinet color is more out of style than the backsplash.
    Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:19PM
Nicole
classicinteriors I thought about staining the cabinets in slightly darker color and eventually change the appliances too. Everyone suggests stainless still but that style was around for awhile. I don't want to change it now and next year it's gonna be something else. Regarding the backsplash wall, I knew about the ripped paper from the taken down morrors. We had the same prob with the bedroom mirror. We did have to call for people to come and fix the wall. I guess that is what I would have to do again. I like that kitchen picture. I wish i had more kitchen space. :o)
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 7:20AM
indianpatti
in or not, I don't like the mirror backsplash look.

Pick a color from your counter and add a glass subway tile. (light blue? light green? light gray?)
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 7:25AM
Nicole
classicinteriors how do I change the cabinet knobs myself?
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 7:26AM
Nicole
indianpatti I post 2 pictures of the glass tile i picked several messages above if you don't mind to check it. Thank you.
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 7:29AM
indianpatti
Yes, I saw those .. a bit too busy IMO.
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 7:31AM
karemore55
You won't have a problem putting new tiles on your drywall, even if it gets some rough patches in it from pulling off the mirror. Essentially, the bottom row holds up the rows above and the glue holds the tiles onto the drywall just fine. Do the research and watch the youtube videos so you are well educated.
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 9:25AM
karemore55
Don't try working with glass tiles or mosaic tiles for your first project - they are a bit more work.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Nicole    September 28, 2013 at 9:27AM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Re: changing cabinet knobs - Yours look very straightforward. On a door pull, remove the two machine screws from the back of the door behind the pull. Measure from the center of one hole to the center of the other. Yours look like 3" o.c. pulls. Look at the front of your door where pull is now gone. Is the wood dented or a different color where the old pull was? Consider this as you look for replacements. Will the footprint of the new pull cover what is necessary to cover? ...same goes for footprint of your knobs.

Save your screws - they likely will work with new hardware, unless it is metric. Notice that you need longer screws for drawer hardware, as they must run through the drawer boxes. Have fun! Mark
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 11:42AM
riktorscale
I say mirror splash backs can look great but I think your style of cabinetry and appliances is at odds with it.

Mirror splash backs equal sleek modern glossy and minimal. I often think they suit a kitchen that isn't used, it's just for show.

A tile that ties into the coloring of your bench top will suit better. Subway tiles in white is also a nice idea.
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 11:49AM
Nicole
Someone's in the Kitchen Thank you very much for the instructions.
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 12:03PM
Nicole
riktorscale, that is right. The mirrors will go well with modern kitchen style where is hardly anything on a counter top. That is why I want to change the back splash.
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 12:09PM
Brothers Custom Works
Looking at other improvements in the pic - it appears you could add some color (see pics).
    Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 1:06PM
Nicole
Brothers Custom Works I would like someone to stain the wood. My cabinets used to be peach color kinda like a bleached wood but after years they got darker. If I knew they change color, I wouldn't have gooten them. I wonder how much it cost to paint the cabinets.
    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 3:47PM
Charmain Wells
Copper would look nice with the work tops and add warmth.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Nicole    September 29, 2013 at 4:32PM
Ceratec Tiles & Stone
I like the idea of a subway tile blacksplash, you could also get a nice insertion of glass mosaic tile with a high gloss .
    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 4:41PM
Brenda
no.
    Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 4:49PM
Glass Tile Store
If you're going mirrored, I'd recommend these kind of mirrored backsplash more than a solid panel one, though i have to agree that it will have the tendency to make your countertop look cluttered.
    Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 7:09PM
Brothers Custom Works
When I suggested you could use some color and sent the pics, I meant a color backsplash, being the red and rustic slate look in the pics - not staining the cabinets.

Site: Tile Store Online
Product: 01-TSM-Copper - Slate Mosaic - Copper Quartz Mini French Versailles
Pattern: Mosaic Tumbled
Cost: $6.99 per SF - Free Shipping
    Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 6:14AM
Brothers Custom Works
Flower Power Backsplash - Translucent Glass
    Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 6:33AM
Nicole
I pull off the old back splash and found that the wall behind was never fixed. There is an old fire door. I suppose I have to fix that before I put a new back splash tile. Can anyone tell me how much approximately it would cost to fix that wall and put a backsplash after? I might fix it myself but I need to do it quickly. Thank you.
    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 5:08PM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
Hi Nicole -- It's a bit difficult to see exactly what you've got here. But some general advice: your wall won't need to look pretty in order to install tile successfully. It just needs to be relatively flat, and securely in place - with a surface that your tile adhesive will bond to.

So it looks here as if you might well be able to fasten 1/4" plywood to this area, running right over the remnants of the old door. ...since it looks like that's what they had done with your old mirror tile. Then install your tile to the plywood.

You'll have to sort out how to trim out any exposed ends of the new work - as well as make sure that the new combination doesn't stick out past your window trim, if there is a window involved. Good Luck! Mark
    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 6:09PM
Design Connection, Inc
It looks like you have lots of new ideas. The mirrors are outdated. A subway tile would look current and stay in style for some time.
    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 6:20PM
deba51
Nonono
    Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 7:20PM
Nicole
Thank you Someone's in the Kitchen. Would you know by any chance how much it will cost me to hire a contractor to do the wall fix and the back splash?
    Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 10:34AM
Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
I think for a useful cost estimate, Nicole, you'll have to get someone to visit and evaluate what you've got and what you want to install. My guess from here, with what little info I've got, would be worthless to you, I'm sorry to say. Best Wishes! Mark
    Bookmark   Thanked by Nicole    November 1, 2013 at 4:35PM
indianpatti
I'll take a guess here .... depending on what tile you go with. If you go with a subway tile or the mosaics you picked, should be fairly easy to install. For someone to make the wall even and install the tile I would guess would be in the neighborhood of $500.
    Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 4:41PM
Nicole
Thank you very much indianpatti :o) That was my guess too. I prob will try to get a few astiments from diff contractors and see what they say. At least I know the minimum now. Thank you again.
    Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 6:09AM
Brothers Custom Works
A turnkey job (all materials and labor) - repair drywall - install select tile or other backsplash - tile (tile purchase allowance $6.00 per SF) - mastic - grout - clean up - ready for use - no difficult complications or unforeseen work - in our area of TX - $14.50 -$16.00 per square foot if the SF figure was 60 SF or more.

If the backsplash work was coupled with other renovations the cost per SF would drop.
    Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 6:42AM
dclostboy
I've seen bronze mirrored glass used effectively in a contemporary kitchen...very nice with no seams.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 6:46AM
Brothers Custom Works
These two projects - backsplash with more SF than shown were approximately $800.00 coupled with total Kitchen renovations - all things new. Travertine with accent tiles - diagonal pattern above rope trim - a square cut installed tile along the bottom - with sealer applied after grout. See the entire Kitchen pictured 2nd and and others at http://www.brotherscustomworks.com/cabinets-and-detail.html
    Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 7:04AM
Nicole
Brothers Custom Works....the work area looks similar to mine but a bit smaller. My kitchen is not big at all. I guess I have to plan to spend aprox $500-$800. You have been very helpful. Thank you very much.
    Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 7:31AM
Brothers Custom Works
Note that the projects and $800 figure was in connection with complete gut of the Kitchen and all things new (refresh - restore walls after demo - electrical and plumbing reconfiguration as required per reno plans - new cabinets - countertops - plumbing and light fixtures - backsplash - floor coverings - finished paint - appliances - etc. - a comprehensive remodel. Each backsplash (cost) received the advantage of economy of scale.

If we were having this discussion because you lived within our work zone, and the backsplash made up the entire scope of work - wall restore and backsplash - turnkey (prep labor - materials and labor for backsplash), I would suggest that the backsplash be an allowance (our projection of potential cost) with final cost based on selection of backsplash material - pattern (noting diagonal is more expensive than a straight lay - accent tile - rope trim - etc. can add to cost) be $1,000 - $1200.00 (being without the economy of scale and allowing profit and overhead (P&O) for construction manager - builder).

If restoration of the wall (prep) is the entire scope of work, in your tile selection process, and drawing from any other resources you may have in discovery of local conditions: you can probably save money in seeking a tile setter through the tile source or other source, and work direct with that sub-contractor. Assurance of capability and quality of workmanship should be a diligently attended to as a part of qualifying the sub-contractor - tile setter.

Another potential savings would be to find - select an acceptable tile online - typically samples available - free deliver to your doorstep - no tax. The tile example I posted earlier in this thread (post 9-28 project pics - 10-5 actual tile) was purchased at www.tilestoreonline.com after we obtained samples, and had the benefits as described. $6.99 per SF and less than local offerings of similar tile. Note also that we did not use the just having fun post - "Flower Power Backsplash" on 10-5.

With your blonde cabinets, I am still of the mind that you would do well in adding some color with tile or accents within the tile. If you want some assurance of final appearance, you could have someone capable do a drawing, with example we provided for another Kitchen remodel shown in the 2nd pic. Note the tile shown is a drawing of actual tile available.

Love to help folks - hollar at me any time, and thanks for the opportunity.
    Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 9:17AM
Norwood Architects
Yes remove. Looks like you have twice the amount of clutter.
    Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 10:22AM
Brothers Custom Works
Life is too short to worry and not have fun at every appropriate occasion.

There is much more tolerance these days for things outside those that were formally "architecturally incorrect", such as corrugated barn tin as an interior wall covering.

Have some fun thinking outside the box, as I did visiting the isle Roatan, Honduras.

Hakunah Matada
    Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 10:48AM
redesign-gallery
With the mirrors everything in your kitchen looks like it is sitting on your counter tops. Your idea of the glass tile for the back splash is perfect. Has a wonderfully expensive look and will stand the test of style changes. When you are completed with that retrofit RUNRUNRUN to the nearest supplier and replace the drawer/door pulls. Rent a tile saw. Love your DIY effort!
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 7:16AM
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Yikes. It's dreadful. When you make the change, consider a brushed pewter hardware change too. The 'gold' in the knobs and pulls is very dated. New hardware is a super cheap and dramatically effective modification.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 7:19AM
POLL: Barn Doors - Yes or No?
Barn doors seem to be all the rage. How do you feel...
Kitchen update? Yes or no?
I tried posting a bit ago but my pics didn't upload....
nmsg
POLL: Painting Brick - Yes or No?
Whether or not to paint brick is always a controversial...
Chimney hood yes or no?
I am updating our kitchen with new appliances, floor,...
johannak002
Master bath design dilemma !!
We are building a new house and can't seem to agree...
afshanahmed
Need Comfortable Chairs for my MacKintosh Gateleg table
I bought a gorgeous MacKintosh Black Gateleg table...
Barbara Kanter
Bathroom remodel
What color would you paint the walls in a bathroom...
Beth Cutshaw Williams
Need help with my living room
I don`t know, but something is wrong with this living...
Tia Mia
Advice on my vignette of pottery
Hi houzzers! I started collecting some pottery and...
rickster88