How do you support gable roof here?
beardsarebeautiful
September 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, we are in the middle of building a sunroom. We need a gable roof evidently. I wanted to incorporate an elliptical or eyelash window similar to what you see here...Sunroom Serenity
But our contractor says we have to run a support beam up the middle of the gable to support the ceiling truss in the gable. This would create essentially two triangle windows separated by the support beam. I'd rather have the eyelash window. Is there a way he can do this???? Thanks!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Yes. A "red" steel arched header with welded legs can be engineered the carry the load of the ridge beam....or you can use a scissor truss. Slope won't match from interior to exterior, but no ridge beam is required.
1 Like   September 29, 2013 at 12:10AM
Fred S
I don't even think it needs to be arched. There is a lot of room above the ceiling sheetrock for insulation and hot air venting before the beam hits the shingles. Especially with that pitch roof. Steel could certainly be required depending on the actual room size.
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 12:40AM
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
Of course it can be done. You should be able to find a structural engineer in your area to design it for you. We do it all the time in California where the seismic codes are very stringent......You might have to use steel, or not.........depends on your location. Find that structural engineer...........
1 Like   September 29, 2013 at 12:51AM
architectrunnerguy
Install what we call a "transfer beam" where Fred S drew the red lines. Depending on the load from the ridge beam and the length of the transfer beam you might be able to use an LVL (type of wood beam sold at most lumber yards) which would be easier and cheaper then steel.
2 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 2:59AM
PRO
Rzonca Construction-The Deck & Patio Experts
Hello there again! If your builder uses a frontal header like the gable ends have to support the end walls, you'll be able to offset the framing to accommodate the window of your chosing. Thus still having adequate support for the ridge beam. We do this all the time and it passes thru code, here in Ohio.
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 3:05AM
PRO
The frontal header I'm talking about is a LVL beam. Sold at most lumber yards. Architectrunnerguy guy has it right. Very cost effective for the structure that they provide.
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 3:07AM
Fred S
It isn't about whether you can find a big enough wood beam to work. It is about how high you want the top of the window in the gable. A steel beam may allow for a higher arch on the window. Where the size of wood beam necessary may make the arch much less. Depending on the actual size of the room.
3 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 3:41AM
PRO
Post some pictures of the work that has been completed on your deck & sunroom structure. Progress pictures are beautiful!
0 Likes   September 29, 2013 at 10:01AM
PRO
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
All good suggestions so far. It's all a question of load transfer. A straight vertical post is easy, but it's not the only way.

Another option is to triangulate the entire ridge load to two diagonal transfer members tied together at the horizontal header running under the arched window. That would allow any shape window you want within that triangle. Should be able to do that with doubled or tripled end rafters, a doubled or tripled cross-tie header and a whole bucket of bolts. An engineer would need to be involved, and with that some steel plates and beam saddles would probably come into play.

Like others have said: call an engineer, it can easily be done, just a little more $ than the contractor's vertical post.
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 6:18PM
PRO
Dullea and Associates Inc.
I suggest that you contact a structural engineer to design the structural components. Make sure the engineer has experience working with residential projects as he/she needs to be familiar with wood structures. You can achieve the look you have shown and described.
0 Likes   October 3, 2013 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
what else am I missing? Thanks for the advice on accent chair.
I posted a week ago about accent chairs. Here is the...
Choosing Bathroom Tile!
I need your advice on choosing tile for our Master...
Houzzers, what are you thankful for?
It's the time of year to give thanks. Looking around...
What can i do to make the exterior of my house look modern?
I have a ranch house built in the 70's. It has white...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™