Lamp shade issue
Mary Lowell Navitas
Hi,
I'm trying to use items I own in new ways. I'd like to partner these two lamps. I think the current shade needs to be changed, but I'm lost about what to do next. Any comments and thoughts are welcome. Thank you!
2dogssashatess
current shade looks a bit large, ie the white one, The arrangement on top of the sideboard looks a bit cluttered for my taste
September 27, 2013 at 3:06PM     
motownmom
I agree, I think the white shade is too large. I also think you should pare down the items to maybe 3-4 tops, including the lamp. I'd go with the glass lamp shaded lamp, one plant on the end opposite the lamp, with just the bowl in the middle, no books or second plant. I would, however, put the glass shaded lamp on the side where the white shaded lamp is because you have a floor plant there, don't want the other plant there. It would provide a lot of light in the corner.
September 27, 2013 at 3:10PM     
indianpatti
Hello Mary!

Kudos to you for using what you already own! If you want 2 lamps, they should be identical. So, I would remove the taller lamp.

If you want to use the plants, I would use just one ...repot the other in a taller container and put them beside each other.

I think you are doing a great job so far and I like your color choices and ideas!

For inspiration:
September 27, 2013 at 3:14PM     
theacarlyle
Hi Mary! I think you can still use the two lamps on the table. I would group the lamps together at the back right and move the picture to the left. I would make sure to put something about half the height of the lamps on the left of the dresser.
September 27, 2013 at 6:14PM     
pegonia1
No, No, No, No, No.....one or the other, or two identical lamps. And both of them are quite nice, but the one with the lamp shade may be a little too big.
September 27, 2013 at 6:16PM     
Barbara Krai Interior Design
I love asymmetrical arrangements, but in this case the lamps don't work for 2 reasons. 1. The scale of the base of the one on the right is too large even if you would change the shade; and the scale of the one on the left is too short. 2. I love the way you have repeated the symmetrical arrangement of the drawers on the chest with the collection of books, bowl and plants - so you need to keep the lamps symmetrical too or it throws the whole setting off kilter. Solution is to get a pair of tall narrow candlestick lamps. They will perfectly frame in the picture and beautifully balance the overall look!
September 27, 2013 at 6:33PM     
amyhnorris
Is that a simon pierce lamp on the right? If so, I have the same one (a pair) and can show you a shade I got at RH
September 27, 2013 at 6:41PM     
Genevieve
you can put the lamps side by side one will be shorter then the other ,but I would get identical shades of a different size ,let me see if I can find an idea .

Tapered Drum Starburst Tonal Embroidered Lamp Shade, Medium, Ivory

imagine your lamps in place of the candle holders .

Barrie Residence
September 27, 2013 at 6:58PM     
Maguire
The lamp on the right would look great and updated with a new shade. Just bring the whole thing to RH and they'll find just the right shade for you. Then place it on an end table where it will really shine. It will not be missed on your sideboard that looks lovely without it.
September 27, 2013 at 8:36PM     
Knuck1es
They're both really nice lamps, and I would pair them up in another setting, with similar but not identical shades. The ones Genevieve posted would be great. The sideboard, books, plants and painting are so symmetrical, the mismatched lamps don't work with it. A couple of candlesticks might be a better option, esp, since they would take up less space.
September 27, 2013 at 9:39PM     
Crystal
Try using shades of comparable sizes in white. Take the shorter lamp and put a few books under it to make the lamps appear the same height. I would consider putting the bowl on its side with a picture stand holder. (?) Try pushing the plants closer together in front of the dish. Best of luck!
September 28, 2013 at 4:48PM   
Marilyn Cameron
My thoughts would be identical lamps at either end. Would that be a Baker buffet. I have the same one and you just showed me it could be repurposed.
September 29, 2013 at 4:27AM   
achilz
I think pairing the two lamps is brilliant. But because they are two different heights, you have to avoid a symmetrical arrangement on the rest of the buffet. The way you have the two identical potted plants and the fruit bowl in the middle (also Simon Pearce?) calls for two identical lamps. I like the glass shade on the left. The white shade is too big and wrong style. Needs to be a simple, straight shade. You could totally use both lamps together but then you have to change what's in between
September 29, 2013 at 5:57AM   
This might help... Proportion is the issue.
September 29, 2013 at 7:33AM     
Knuck1es
wow that's a great reference, decoenthusiaste!
September 29, 2013 at 2:30PM     
janeinfo
If it were me, I would get a new shade as suggested above, then I would leave that lamp where it is and lose the short lamp and the green plant next to the tall lamp. Then move the dresser to the right so the picture is off-centered to the left-hand side of the buffet. Put the remaining plant in the center of the buffet and the books and the bowl on the left hand side. If you can follow my remarks,,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck!!!! :)
September 29, 2013 at 3:21PM   
nolaladyknows
Actually, a pair of wall sconces would work wonderfully in that space. It would allow the focus to be on the lovely vignette you already have.
September 30, 2013 at 2:32AM   
juliapurcellbrown
I would put the lamps side by side, and do a platinum shade (one smaller, but same style). The smaller shade could have a pattern. Move the picture over to the other side to balance.
September 30, 2013 at 6:19AM   
Furniture Behind a Door? A Definite No-No?
Hi There! This is my first post! :) I'm having...
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...
Need help with this master bedroom redecorating
We are so excited to get to redecorate. Does the picture...
is this rug too busy?
Should i just get a simple rug and add color with pillows?...
Drawer help!
I just built this stuva bench from ikea - I tested...