Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbarastockdesign

How Would You Describe Your Dream Interior Designer?

Hello, I'd like to turn the tables and ask, "As a client, what are you looking for in an interior designer? What would make you hire a particular Houzz designer, and what would scare you away?" You wouldn't believe how much this is discussed among designers on chat boards--I thought I'd just come to the source and ask! We want to be responsive to your needs; this is your opportunity to tell us what you want! Our profession thanks you.

Comments (128)

• PRO
    Cheryl Hucks Interior Designs
    10 years ago
    Questionnaires are great tool for me. My clients tell me they really like mine. It gives them an opportunity to think about and discuss design styles, colors, furniture that may be a treasure to one family member but not to another and much more. It helps them develop their design style. Many times clients do not know what they want, but once they complete the questionnaire, they are excited they actually do have a sense of what they want. At the first meeting, I also ask them questions pertaining to their questionnaire's answers. Many times I meet with just the wife during the day when the husband is at work. Questionnaires that have been completed by both the husband and wife, give the spouse who could not attend the initial meeting a chance to have input.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked Cheryl Hucks Interior Designs
  • m3459
    10 years ago
    "At the first meeting, I also ask them questions pertaining to their questionnaire's answers."

SEE? Just like an oral examination after the written test. Are they multiple choice or essay? ;->
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked m3459
  • PRO
    Cheryl Hucks Interior Designs
    10 years ago
    Design styles, warm or cool colors and few others are multi-choices but I give them many choices. Most of the other questions can be answered in short responses. It does not take a lot of time to complete.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked Cheryl Hucks Interior Designs
  • PRO
    Barbara Stock Interior Design
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Any more input? I've learned a lot, and thank you to everyone who responded!
  • PRO
    Marc Russell Interiors
    10 years ago
    Luckily, my showroom is in vignettes, so you get a feel of what were all about. Since everything is clearly tagged, you know where you are budget wise, and if you can afford us. The house call is free, along with drawing out the rooms to scale with pieces picked by us and the clients. We try and offer at least 2 floor plans, especially when doing great rooms, ect... Presenting with color, fabrics, and paint is also complimentary. Once funded, the client gets copies of everything, including cuttings.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked Marc Russell Interiors
  • shirleenprescott
    10 years ago
    Perfect scenario: draw it out, make recommendations( color boards). Give me the shopping list. Hourly rate.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked shirleenprescott
  • touchadream
    10 years ago
    I too have had some bad experiences with designers, all related to the handling of finances. I understand that designers work for money. I understand that they can make money by the hour for consulting, or on merchandise sold to me, or a combination. I'm ok with all of that. I just want an agreement up front about what we are going to do. If I say I want 10 hours of time and no more because that is what I can afford, don't exceed that. If you know I am on that kind of a budget, don't bring me ridiculous prices on things you know I cannot afford. Sourcing things that are obviously out of my price range is useful for neither of us. I may know Fortuny when I see it, but that doesn't mean I can or want to afford it. So we need a meeting of the minds. Right now I need a designer, but I am afraid to try to find one because of past experiences. I have about a $50,000 budget for a whole house renovation and need to see how far I can make that go. The less I spend on consultation, the more I have to spend on the house. That is my dilemma. So far I have paid $199 for an IKEA kitchen designer, and I will see that design tomorrow. I will make most of the big decisions myself, flooring choices, eliminating some walls and soffits, bathroom designs with the help of my contractor. I will probably hire designers hourly at different times during the process, or to find me particular items or materials. I haven't seen portfolios I like, however, in my local area when I search local pros, which is another problem. I really do appreciate your interest in this feedback and hope this is helpful to you.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked touchadream
  • User
    10 years ago
    Designers have to have a sense of humour to " get" us. Good communication is key.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked User
  • foreverfarm11
    10 years ago
    my husband wants to hire a designer when our house is finished....I have to admit that my first response was I wasnt wasting my money. But now, well, I am thinking about it. I would say the first thing that would make me want to hire a designer, is if I like examples of their work. The second thing would be someone that understands a budget is a budget. and the third is that the look I am going to go for is easy to clean/non cluttered.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked foreverfarm11
  • joyce_6333
    10 years ago
    I've only solicited the help of a designer a couple times. First time, I did buy some wallpaper from her, but it never really was what I wanted. Perhaps I was intimidated by her. She was quite flamboyant! Second time was when we built a new home. Our builder suggested someone he used a lot, highly recommended her. She was at a local high-end furniture store which was next door to a flooring/tile/lighting store, so it made it easy. When I stopped in to the furniture store to set up an appointment with her, she happened not to be there. But another designer looked at our plans (5200' ranch home, cost $600,000 in the upper midwest) and told me ... verbatim...."We only do high end homes". She wouldn't even go any further with me. I left the store feeling a bit deflated because we thought we had a nice home. Again, I guess I felt a bit intimidated.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked joyce_6333
  • eightpondfarm
    10 years ago
    no one likes to think they have bad taste. IDs need to understand this basic fact and not condescend. designers also need to take the pulse of their clients often.....soliciting opinions on not just feature furniture, but also accent pieces. it's the little accent pieces that are the true telling point about a client's aesthetic btw.... finish THIS room perfectly for someone and they WILL have you back for more! and they will tell their friends.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked eightpondfarm
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    I have worked with designers three times and have been thrilled with the results. The first time an old friend who is a kitchen designer who looked over my kitchen plans and the volunteered to go to the cabinet store with me and talk to their designer who had come up with a plan for me. She pointed out in a very nice way several flaws in the plan and came up with several ideas. In an amazingly short time she made a few changes which gave me a much more functional and better looking kitchen that actually cost less. I have also had two rental houses decorated with the same design team. They were great about working with some items I wanted to keep and really listened to my input. I think we all enjoyed working together. I am pretty decisive and was clear about what I wanted and we all got along great. I would definitely use them again.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thanks PLC Interiors. You are right on and my sentiments all the way!
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked LB Interiors
  • J J
    10 years ago
    The ability to inspire.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked J J
  • Nan Ballein
    10 years ago
    I feel that I have a good sense of what I want for "the bones" of a room. What I want is for someone to help me put that "polished" look to it with accessories and make sure that the proportions are appropriate for the room.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked Nan Ballein
  • shastacat
    10 years ago
    I want to come to a designer with my own inspiration, pass it on , and let that special person fly with it ( within budget, and exceptionally good taste) while being open to collaboration.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked shastacat
  • reggiesmall
    10 years ago
    I love reading and participating in Houzz discussions and hearing everyone's valuable advice.

That being said, I know that there are excellent designers out there with integrity, responsibility, accountability and honesty, in addition to truly wonderful talent. I just don't have the courage to go in search of them.

I'm very focused on practicality and to me that is the first and last step of any great design. Everything must flow from the logic of the layout and return to the logic of the layout. If it does, then the room looks fabulous (in my opion.)

I've seen so many pictures of designs with such ridiculously impractical set ups, that even I, as a laymen, can see the falsehood of it.

It irks me knowing that someone paid good money for a professional to give them poor advice and for the client not to even know it. AND for the designer to think they did a good job.

I also don't appreciate misrepresentation: to me, eclectic is really often a hodge-podge, mismatched, cross-eyed, painfully unappealing barrage of misplaced furniture, accessories and color- blind color schemes. I find it insulting to be told that THAT is good design.

Now Houzz designers are terrific....:) :)
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked reggiesmall
  • hmjilly
    10 years ago
    My dream designer would ask to see my ideabooks on Houzz and my pinterest boards :]
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked hmjilly
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    WOW...how did I miss this conversation, & where do I start??? I too am sad that so many have bad experiences with designers...but when you're a designer or contractor, you come into this world with a bad rep from the get-go because these horror stories are rampant. Imagine what a household is like where the husband is the contractor & the wife is the designer??? This is us. 24/7 we are working, discussing, planning, collaborating.

travis brings up some great points. On our designer/contractor end, we deal with clients who want the world for nothing. They want the ridiculous HGTV budget that never charges for labor. They want a room that isn't their room. They want to make upgrades & don't understand why that isn't in their budget. They hire our expertise but take the advice of their mother, sister or daughter. Or son, father, cousin...anyone except the very people with 30+ fulltime experience in the field...& then they express disappointment with the results. Sooooooo very frustrating...thankfully doesn't happen too often...but when it does, I brace for the results. On the other hand, we rescue clients from disasters that was caused by fly-by-nights who now don't trust us because they lost thousands on the rip off artists in this biz. It's very disheartening when this happens cause we've built our reputation & we certainly haven't gotten rich off of other people's backs. We are small by choice...we want to keep quality control & there's just not that many good people in this biz to hire.

We do this because we were born to do this. It's our passion. More importantly, it is the client who we want to make happy, as there's nothing more personal than someone's home. And that personal attachment is what makes things sticky. And the fear of spending money unwisely on that. Our home is our most expensive investment. Emotionally & financially. We want to be trusted with that, but the stigma is hard to overcome, even though we do almost 100% referral. We have no website. The closest we have ever come to advertising is our FB & houzz page, which have yielded very few clients. We are booked solid for a YEAR. People wait for us, THANKFULLY.

I was lucky enough to start in this biz with a great mentor & I achieved a resume of high-end projects with Hall of Fame athletes & national politicians. I hated the experience. I was treated like dirt. It was okay to have an unlimited budget, but there was no challenge. There was no emotional reward. It was when I met a lady in the projects with a very limited budget that my life & career changed, & I decided to forego the limelight & work only with "normal" everyday people who just wanted a beautiful home to enjoy. THAT's when I started to enjoy my Gift.

Most times, my clients will go way over budget...by THEIR OWN CHOICE.

I don't do questionnaires anymore...at this point I better be able to read my clients. I do have them do an Ideabook on houzz however...then we discuss what they liked & I can tell them what is & is not feasible.

I myself have an extremely small home. I don't want the maintenance. Big is not always better. Learn to live with less is my motto. I came from a German household where frugality was highly prized. But pay for QUALITY. Quality workmanship & materials. And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE people...when you find a good designer/contractor...RESPECT THEM BY LISTENING TO THEM JUST AS YOU WANT TO BE RESPECTED & LISTENED TO. Remember, this is our LIFE's work...& whatever profession you are in, dear clients, we would afford you the same respect & defer to your knowledge & expertise. We want good results & good communication as much as you do, cause without that we wouldn't be in business very long.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked OasisDesign&Remodeling
  • PRO
    M.E.M. Remodeling & More
    10 years ago
    I am not a designer as I am a contractor. I would just like to say that I love design and designers. I have on many account been asked to assist many home owners in designing their remodels. I love to look through my customers social media that encompasses their remodeling desires as it helps me to understand what they expect. I think that any designer should do that during their initial interview. My biggest problem with customers is, that because I am a contractor, that they will not let me know their budget. How can I possibly even bid the job not knowing what materials I can or am expected to use? Another issue that I have encountered is that they would like us to make a schematic of their project before hiring us. That is a hired designers or architects job. We definitely expect the customer to know better and hire a designer to do this or pay us to do it. What is your problem as a designer? How do contractors turn these situations around and make a double positive out of these problems?
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked M.E.M. Remodeling & More
  • J J
    10 years ago
    I previously responded to the question, but have been thinking about "why I don't use a designer"...here's why 1) unaware of how to find a great designer 2) feel like my budget or project is too small 3) slightly intimidated and don't want to feel judged for my current design choices. I found Houzz, which is helping me expand my design knowledge !
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    A good designer is a listener who is nonjudgmental. No design choice is wrong. All design choices have consequences. A good designer offers several choices and the consequences of those choices. The owner is the decision-maker.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    Design With Distinction, LLC
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much for asking this important question to the Houzz community. As designers it is our responsibility to intently listen to our clients, build the design around what their dreams and desires are, be sensible and respectful of their budget and educate them on the products available. I feel honored to be hired for a project. For my firm it is always about the client not my own desires or ego. We are given the opportunity to come into a family's home. The design should be about them; how they live, what they love, what will bring them happiness and peace, how the space will function, how the materials will hold up, how the choices will relate to their living environment.

To all of you who have had a bad experience I am so sorry. There are many of us who are compassionate, honorable, knowledgeable and easy to work with. I hope you'll give us another try. There is a lot of good advise on these posts.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked Design With Distinction, LLC
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Oasis Design and Remodeling, you're after my own heart. You've covered much of what this profession should be. Well said.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked LB Interiors
  • eightpondfarm
    10 years ago
    i just finished reading the comments in their entirety. it seems that the pro-world is about as dissatisfied with clients as clients are with the pros. i agree that HGTV has pretty much given a unrealistic picture of costs. clients need to realize that a professional interior designer needs to make money. they need to pay their mortgages and groceries too!
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked eightpondfarm
  • mamadubbs
    10 years ago
    We are planning to hire an interior designer for the first time to assist without open plan kitchen/dining/living room remodel next year. My first concern is cost. As another poster pointed out, interior designers need to make a living, but I need a bottom line to determine if I can even afford such a luxury. I've contacted one designer so far and got an hourly rate. But how long might my project take? It's an unknown that scares me to death. In my perfect dream world, the designer would save me enough to justify their fee using their industry contacts. But I'm pretty sure that's not reality. Secondly I'm a practical person and don't want to be forced into a design that is beautiful but not functional. I see a lot of that here on Houzz. We live in every square inch of our home and I do the cleaning. So I need to keep it real, ya know? My third concern is follow through. We just did a bathroom remodel with a Houzz contractor that states he provides both the design and construction. Well, he did not provide any design, there was a lot of miscommunication that resulted in us settling for things we didn't order, and items that were not finished to our satisfaction. Given the scope of our next project it's important to me to have a designer that works well with the contractor to make sure things are finished in the finishes we expect.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked mamadubbs
  • PRO
    Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
    10 years ago
    mamadubbs - I don't think your expectations are unrealistic. I understand an hourly fee is scary. Many designers now offer a flat fee. There are two ways that designers "pay for themselves". Sometimes it is by insuring that you don't make costly mistakes and sometimes it is through their design resources.
    Good design isn't good design unless it is functional and practical. You should be able to tell your designer what you like and don't like without being intimidated or feeling like you are hurting their feelings.
    Many contractors consider themselves designers but that doesn't mean they are good at it!
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    One Week Bath, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Really interesting to read all of the comments here. It's great to hear the client POV from a wide variety of people. We are a design/build bathroom remodeling company, and our design specialists focus on making the design aspect of each project a collaborative venture that balances form and function, always with an eye on budget. We bring our design showroom into the client's home so they can select all of their fixtures and materials in the environment where they will be used. We provide design expertise, but recognize that our clients are the ones who have to live with the bathroom once the project is over. It's a shame so many folks have had poor experiences working with interior designers. Hopefully websites like Houzz will begin to reshape the process.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked One Week Bath, Inc.
  • regina5697
    10 years ago
    There are so many great points already mentioned, which I, of course, agree with. I would add that the negative experience I have had while working with many designers is their attitude. They tend to take on airs and make your project less important than the "mansion they designed last year". I would love a down to earth designer with mad skills.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked regina5697
  • Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked User
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    Thanks to Barbara for starting this thread. I think one could develop a course for both designers and clients from the content (actually, we've got a project handbook along those lines in development now ;-) It is so distressing for all concerned when a project goes off the rails.

So much boils down to communication and a shared understanding of what work and skills are being hired--and how that will be billed and paid for.

Some observations made suggest that the role of the person hired may grow beyond what is mutually understood. Do you want design input or fully fleshed design options; project participation or project management; representation of the client to architect/contractor; artisan; researcher, project coach or all of the above?

Someone who can navigate a design choice between feuding spouses, facilitate a meeting of warring trades; enable good functioning between an architect and contractor vying for control--and get you 10-40% discounts on items purchased, well, that person's higher rate might be worth every penny. A less expensive designer who isn't hearing your wants/needs likes and dislikes, can deliver under budget and still not be worth the price because the end result is not YOU.

In my experience, one of the hardest things for people to grasp is that once you have selected your partner (that's what we should be--your partner in achieving your vision) you must be prepared to invest time (money) in teaching about YOU so that what is developed fits. Depending on the scope of the project, your designer needs to know information that you may find rather intrusive.

For example, your health issues; sight; hearing; mobility as this affects your loved ones and even friends you will entertain should be explored. On a long project, your designer will know more about your marriage than you think--and had better keep it under wraps while using that knowledge to creation of spaces that make for harmony or create the sense of separate personalities as you may prefer. Are your children more Brady Bunch or James gang? Bookworms or athletes? This will effect design strategies for certain common areas as well as their personal space.

A lot of this learning happens along the way--but within the context of a given project, several of these items should be sussed out by your designer--subtly or not. I use collaborative tools to streamline data gathering and to encourage clients to discuss issues that may not have occurred to them (everything from colour sensitivities to the ability to visualize and tolerance for delayed gratification which influences setting priorities.

Re budget and payment. Put this on the table and monitor progress. There are many approaches to billing and variable rates. The important thing is to understand how the numbers work so that your budget of X dollars is spent wisely. There should be no surprises.

Re timelines, sadly, so many variables beyond a designer's control mean that surprises happen. But, if the plan is developed early, the 8 week delivery time for the new chair or a three weeks for permitting can be mapped out to improve use of time and manage costs. If you map out a project involving multiple trades you'll be ahead of the game. In a project management role, all activities are listed, mapped and monitored. Be a part of developing the plan!

Design projects can be such a fulfilling, mutually beneficial experience.

The duds? Well, keep a file. I've seen duds rehired because someone in the family remembered the name but not the headaches.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    10 years ago
    How about writing an article on being a realistic client to a designer? That would be fabulous!
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
  • mkmort
    10 years ago
    Does a realistic client even exist?
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked mkmort
  • J J
    10 years ago
    CMR and mkmort, I'm disappointed that the conversation has turned against "clients"
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    10 years ago
    mkmort, they certainly do exist. But in order to have better awareness, the clients need an education as much as we do. If I have a problem with a client, I have to ask myself if I failed in my end of the communication. And that is almost always the case. However, communication is a 2 way street & it's very difficult to cover everything every minute of the day. I must say I sometimes wish for those HGTV moments when the clients are away for a week & they come back to a finished home. Clients can get in their own way & I would just like a little more trust. I don't know WHY a designer would design purely for their own gratification. It needs to be a collaboration, but the designer knows a lot more than the client about scale & balance & that's something that can't be compromised & if they want their way in every aspect, then they just don't need us.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked OasisDesign&Remodeling
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    10 years ago
    My dream interior designer would 1) listen 2) translate my taste into the design and not necessarily hers/his 3) KNOW what products are out there old and new 4) Not limit herself in the application of any products because of profit made on the product but insted if she/he can't make enough on the product because of her discount then offer the product anyway with an upcharge but by all means offer the product 5) Be more concerned with what I would like than trends but be able to advise what trends are current.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked Linda Mayo
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    eagledzines - absolutely all that! With clear communication like that, you should be able to look a designer between the eyes and assess whether you're getting a match or a sales job. As someone who sometimes works remotely, I should mention, perhaps, that those eyes might be on Skype! I suggest learning a bit about the variety of ways to remunerate designers so as to get transparency on aspects such as trade discounts. Your recipe for a dream designer is 100% appropriate.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
  • mkmort
    10 years ago
    I am a client not a professional. But I know that sometimes we are demanding and do not really know what we want but we always want it now. It was a rhetorical comment for CMR.
    Barbara Stock Interior Design thanked mkmort
  • PRO
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks to everyone who commented here. I hope designers and clients alike found this helpful. Happy New Year, and may each of us find our dream designer or client!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thanks for raising this thread, Barbara. I think that anything that fosters learning on all sides is great ground for building successful projects. Best to all for a fulfilling 2014! John, at GOFA
  • PRO
    Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
    9 years ago
    I believe the best thing that a designer can do with a client is be honest, patient, and flexible. Patience runs thin with an exuberant amount of changes after approvals, but designers typically charge for that. The more expectations are set the easier it is for the client to understand whats to come. We all learn an improve over the years in business but that is one of the most important lessons that I have learned.
  • PRO
    Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
    9 years ago
    Patience and set expectations.
  • laurenkousombos
    9 years ago

I consider myself a tasteful person who has created many lovely rooms. With that said I would hire someone who can and would kick my ideas up a notch.

• PRO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Lauren. I think the best designer/client relationships are collaborative, which brings a synergy clients don't get on their own. I like to "grow toward" my clients, incorporating their needs and desires as I design. Most of the time, I present options and ideas that never occurred to them. I love those "Ah-hah!" moments. A good designer also prevents those "Uh-oh!" moments! They have the benefit of my advice and talent, but feel the finished rooms reflect their style and how they live.

• gr8daygw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Someone who has the endurance to be patient with me when I can't make a decision, relate to my somewhere between modern and traditional vision and most of all someone who will return after I pay them their fee up front.

• teamaltese
    8 years ago
    I need someone who can keep up! I make decisions quickly, know what my style is, am not easily seduced by something that is not "me", and want someone who is able to think outside the box, and is knowledgeable enough to give me the pros and cons of my ideas, but then let me decide. A con is not "it won't look good ", but "it won't look good because..."
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Glad to see this discussion continuing after more than 2 years! I am so sorry you had the experience of a designer who did not return, after paying your fee @gr8daygw. @teamaltese, I agree with you about pros and cons. I tell clients that no decision is perfect (despite what you see on the shows). Decisions fit more into the realm of "that works with the goals you have set because......"

Houzz is a good place to start to find the right designer fit. Look carefully at how the designer describes him/herself. Houzz has a trusted and verifiable review process. Looking at pro reviews gives you great insight into how they work with their clients.

• Tems
    8 years ago

A designer who has the exact same taste as me...or better lol

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

teamaltese, I hear you, and you sound a lot like one of my current clients! She keeps me on my toes, and makes me a better designer. We make an awesome team, and my finished interiors for her (this is my second home with her) incorporate her personality, the changes in her taste over the years, and current trends, while remaining timeless.

CDR Design, I too am happy that the discussion I started two years ago remains relevant. All the best to all the designers and clients in our Houzz family.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

A designer who challenges the limits without losing timeless quality.