What color should I paint the walls?
Mike
Not really happy with the all White color in this room. I think a small amount of color should make the Millwork pop. Please let me know what you guys think would look best and I will paint it soon and post the after photos.

Your input and onsite is greatly appreciated.

Ps. Keep in mind the rug in the theme. It is primarily red with light and dark blues.
Cream
Light red
Light blue
Don't change
travisinteriors
Don't worry about rug.its only a accent. With white trim go a soft gray. Sherwin and Moore have get ones. Get samples and try in your room. Never buy a color without testing it. Do not go red. To hard to work around. But, I agree the white walls are not working. Put color not creams, on walls. Accessories like window covers. Would be in same tones, rug will work too.
September 28, 2013 at 10:15am     
travisinteriors
I see you have a pale gray in firepl stone. What color are shades?
September 28, 2013 at 10:16am   
travisinteriors
I would also get a very low media to put components in. Why the tall speaker next to fireplace? It's taking away from your beautiful firepl. Large speakers are so out. They have very small Bose speakers with great sound. I would spend money on fixing that wall first.
September 28, 2013 at 10:19am     
phila1321
Agree 100% with travisinteriors. Would recommend a light gray on walls, not red, blue, or cream. Take away speaker and add other accents.
September 28, 2013 at 11:47am     
Mike
What about a light blue gray do u think that would work?
September 28, 2013 at 5:22pm   
Mike
The shades are grayish white
September 28, 2013 at 5:22pm   
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Mike......Look at BM Normandy it's a beautiful blue and could be wonderful with all the white trim. Normally, I suggest far more neutral colors as a backdrop for furniture, but
I also feel if it's what you want then...do it. If you like the color, I would do the ceiling as well.
October 5, 2013 at 4:08pm     
Genevieve
You are getting plenty of light in this lovely room,I would go with this one

October 5, 2013 at 4:36pm        Thanked by Mike
pcmom1
You mentioned "light red"...won't that be a pink?

I think, if you don't want to go for a bold color (I like the Blue Danube above), then go for a gray.

This says: BM Rockport Gray.
October 5, 2013 at 4:44pm     
janeinfo
I think a really soft blue/gray.
October 5, 2013 at 6:00pm        Thanked by Mike
indianpatti
Put me down for light gray as well ..
October 5, 2013 at 6:03pm     
Amy Andrews
I think a cream ir if you want more color go for the blue gray I would not go red it would be to much and red us very hard to paint i have used it and it is very hard to cover and get even
October 5, 2013 at 6:09pm   
Amy Cali
pcmom1 haha I was thinking pink too. travisinteriors always gives great advice can't go wrong there. I am also very intrigued by Genevieve's choice that blue would look incredible and really make your beautiful millwork pop! Its bold and sophisticated if done correctly.
October 5, 2013 at 6:28pm     
Mike
@amy c. I think that blue is too dark. I think the light blue is going to be a good option. Now I just need someone that can do a good job. The other issue is that the living room runs into the kitchen without a true break...so I have to think about that also.
October 7, 2013 at 6:29pm   
Gantt's Decorating
The blue needs to be bold to balance out the strong colors in the rug. Otherwise when you come into the room all you will see is the red rug.
October 7, 2013 at 6:33pm     
Amy Cali
I'd consider adding the deep blue to just your fireplace wall. Of course this is dependent on what is to the right of your FP (cant see from pic).
October 8, 2013 at 4:54am   
Mike
Amy C. to the right of the fire place is basically the identical same window. It is very symmetrical. Further along it extends into the kitchen...so my dilemma with darker blue walls is that it would have to extend into the kitchen. My feeling with dark colors is that they make the area look smaller and I would like to stay away from that. PS. THANK YOU EVERYONE for all the input I am blown away by all the great ideas.
October 8, 2013 at 6:05am   
Mike
Here is a picture of the finished formal living room with the blue color!
October 8, 2013 at 6:15am     
Sustainable Dwellings
Beautiful room!( shame that it looks like an electronic store with giant speaker towers). I am resigned to the whole giant TV displayed in elegant rooms, but you can find ways to beautifully organize components in a tasteful manner. The fireplace and windows are gorgeous! What style is the furniture in the room? The rug is nice.
October 8, 2013 at 6:29am   
Mike
The speaker are going to go into the ceilings {towers will be removed} and one has already been built into the fireplace mantel as you can tell...All the components are in a remote location {out of sight - by utilizing and IR} . The furniture in the room is contemporary .
October 8, 2013 at 6:49am   
Studio M Interior Design
I voted cream, just in case anything in the room changes you won't feel like it won't still match the red or the blue color in the room. If nothing is going to change, I'd go with the light blue color :)
October 8, 2013 at 7:00am        Thanked by Mike
QUARTZ COUNTER TOPS
I have found a Viatera quartz countertop that I really...
Layout issues
With the layout of this room, I am struggling to redecorate....
Just Moved! Stumped by large, open wall area!
Hi all - Please help! My husband and I just moved to...
Let's play in my LR!
OK, so we moved into this much smaller place over a...