Facade Ideas Please!!
mooomoo
Prefer not to change paint colour due to enormous expense. Just looking for a few cute or clever ideas to freshen up the front. Thanks in advance!
jjandhk
1. black railing
2. black sconces
3. black planters
I'd like to see the black trim continue across the entire roofline; and maybe?? the garage door.
Love the front doors!
2 Likes   Thanked by mooomoo    September 28, 2013 at 6:40PM
EN Architects
1. Paint the garage door dark to match front door.
2. Large pin-mounted house numbers.
3. Plant grasses out front or modern planter.
2 Likes   Thanked by mooomoo    September 28, 2013 at 8:04PM
safetyshuttle
i agree with EN. Still, interior window curtains detract from the curb appeal.
1 Like   Thanked by mooomoo    September 28, 2013 at 8:28PM
RosemaryR
I like jj's ideas but would not paint garage doors however I would paint front door to give a bit of pop. Go to local nursery with photos and have them help you with some grasses to plant in front of wall, definitely change light fixtures. Easy changes for not too much money. Interesting driveway, never saw one like that.
   Thanked by mooomoo    September 28, 2013 at 8:53PM
RosemaryR
Just saw that your front door has glass panels, so maybe not paint, you have decide where you want to go and what you are looking to achieve.
   Thanked by mooomoo    September 28, 2013 at 8:55PM
dclostboy
Change the color of the front door and railing...lighten it up with a nice gray or go bold with red.
   Thanked by mooomoo    September 28, 2013 at 9:29PM
mooomoo
I also thought the curtains took something away - but I've never known what to do about that. They look great on the inside...
I LOVE the idea of grasses, many of my neighbours use them and they look awesome, I am concerned about dogs weeing on them if I plant them in front of the retaining wall, (we get stacks of foot traffic as we are on the water) still might do it though.
I am planning on leveling the grassed area out properly and I was thinking 'desertscape' but my cats eat the grass - so my other thought was fire pit - my husband has offered to install a water feature but I am less keen.
I hope you liked the driveway Rosemary - I hand painted that thing. lol.
   September 29, 2013 at 2:24AM
RosemaryR
Wow, that must have taken ages for you to do the driveway, mooomoo, my knees would never hold out that long. As to the windows you could install roman shades on all the front ones for a consistent look from the outside. I think if you plant the grasses one foot out from the wall, you should be okay from the dogs but you could always add stacked stone one foot out from the grasses as a deterrent and why would neighbors let their dogs piddle on peoples' lawns. You could also check online or ask the vet and maybe the nursery about the cats eating grass. An ultramodern water feature might be something to consider. Lots to consider, I'm sure others will jump in with their thoughts too.
   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 2:57AM
mooomoo
Nah, it was quick - one weeks work spread out over 2 months :P
We originally had white Roman blinds - they were so blah, I could have left them in place under the curtains but they were starting to rot from too much sun (we live in sunny Queensland) I didn't like the look of them either from the outside. Can't stop the dogs from weeing. lol. doesn't usually bother me - it's only going to be an issue if it kills my expensive plants - those grasses are nearly $10 a pot! :)
1 Like   September 29, 2013 at 5:39AM
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
Add exterior drapes to the 2nd floor balconies for a resort feel. Consider black drapes with a rod behind the beam. Tie them back towards the columns. Hang a HUE basket of ferns or greenery at the center of each balcony and the porch (not at door). Plant some type of creeping vine at the top of the front yard wall that will grow down towards the sidewalk. Consider painting the garage door black like the front door.
1 Like   September 29, 2013 at 6:08AM
jjandhk
re. your curtains--you could simply use the ones you have now and love, and line them with a dark gray--which will only show on the outside. love the idea of low maybe reddish grasses in front of the retaining wall. I was also thinking of an outdoor seating area on your front lawn--something with a few curves would soften the look.
1 Like   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 7:55AM
RosemaryR
You sure are getting great ideas.
1 Like   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 8:41AM
AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
I copied your pic and changed the door and top of roof as jj designkloos suggested but i also added a mosaic border on the front
http://www.mosaicsyourway.com
Mosaics..any image, any size
6 Likes   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 8:55AM
rosecafe
Stylish house. No garden to set it off. You need too soften up the overall look of your property with- 1. Wrought iron window box planted with say, geraniums, under the right hand side windows. 2. throw away those dead shrubs in the big terra cotta pots ( give them to your neighbor) and replace them with tall pencil pines to give some height. 3. Garden bed border to the entire front edge of your lawn. ( whatever your nurseryman recommends) say, to grow to just 600mm. 2 feet. Green, nothing flowering, maybe a row of spiky yuccas.
1 Like   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 8:56AM
noiwh8
My first thought was to add dark grey stepping stones and xeriscape the top terrace, using charcoal accents (planters, lamps). Glad to see the consensus is to add charcoal. Then I'd add black/charcoal river rocks to the strip along the sidewalk. That would enhance to modern esthetic and solve the dog issue.
   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 8:57AM
noiwh8
I second the suggestions to add black curtain liners (they are very inexpensive and sold to make curtains blackout, and will drastically improve the lifespan of your curtains). And if Yuccas will grow in your area, that's a great succulent for a Xeriscape on the upper terrace. I wouldn't put anything spikey on the lower terrace by the sidewalk because it feels hostile to passersby.
   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 9:03AM
Kim Weatherford
Try finding some rout iron pieces at an architectural salvage store for the front.
1 Like   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 9:26AM
Kim Weatherford
Shutters maybe instead of drapes?
   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 9:27AM
Stone & Land, LLC
I know you said no painting but what about highlighting the detail, either the columns or horizontal lines in the facade. It looks a little Tuscan to me, but I'm not an expert on colors. I used a pale tuscan red, not too imposing. planted a little Lavender between the pots or you could use some other plantings suitable to the area like ornamental grasses, something like Blue Oat Grass has a nice blue gray foliage that would look nice and pop a little against the existing house color and look contemporary. Sorry the picture showing the accented banding is a little light.
1 Like   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 10:18AM
1 Like   Thanked by mooomoo    September 29, 2013 at 6:37PM
juliapurcellbrown
Paint the garage door. I see blue. Paint the rail and planters the same color. Add three huge matching lights to the columns. Window boxes on right. Two chandeliers on top porch.
1 Like   Thanked by mooomoo    September 30, 2013 at 6:56AM
sabs6157
I think the biggest help would be landscaping. Your house already has a lot of curb appeal! I'd go with perennial shrubs native to your area, then they would also be low maintenance. Even utilizing boulders or stepping stones would enhance the front entry route.
   Thanked by mooomoo    October 2, 2013 at 3:56PM
Facade ideas please for an unbalanced 70s classic
Help! Our recently purchased 1970's home is in dire...
New Facade Ideas, Please!
This 1977 split-level ranch w/waterviews is getting...
New Facade Ideas, Please!
need better idea for front facade
i want a modern contemporary house. not too noisy...
Living/family room rug dilemma
I am tying to decide what rug to choose for my family/living...
Plz help !
Hi .. I'm almost done ,but still confused about what...
Should I or Should'nt I do it?
I have hardwood flooring in the majority of the first...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
Help choosing a backsplash and paint for kitchen
We have just gone through a HUGE kitchen remodel and...