What would you do with the empty space ?
tbiso
September 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Okay, just purchased this place and the guest bathroom has this big empty space by the toilet! What suggestions do you have for it?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Kevin Austin
In Asia the put make up fridge
September 29, 2013 at 8:16am   
tbiso
yes but it's really a guest bathroom... I'll have that in the master... but thanks for the suggestion!
September 29, 2013 at 8:18am     
historichouse65
I would add additional storage in that space.
September 29, 2013 at 8:24am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Either add another cupboard or make it a fun magazine rack using a wine storage unit (think noughts and crosses as your template) then roll up the magazines and slot them in and intersperse them with extra toilet rolls!. Short of music, you have everything you need :-)
September 29, 2013 at 8:24am        Thanked by tbiso
m3459
This...
September 29, 2013 at 8:28am     
tbiso
Thanks for the new suggestions... because it's for the guests and doesn't have a shower I am leaning towards the magazine rack!!! Other idea's very welcome!
September 29, 2013 at 8:36am   
louiseberube
here are some ideas for what they are worth: place shelves with removable baskets (the space for maneuvering is limited considering the toilet), or place a decorative waste paper basket on the left side and narrow wire shelves on the right side to place extra toilet paper or tissue boxes, magazines, etc. or remove the present unit and place a stand alone sink with a corner unit: shelves at bottom and doors above right to ceiling to give you storage space.
September 29, 2013 at 8:36am      Thanked by tbiso
rosecafe
Its a no brainer. Big cane basket on wheels for your dirty linen and towels. AND never take a photo of a toilet with the seat up! Ugh !
September 29, 2013 at 8:39am     
tbiso
Rosecafe you are right about the seat up... didn't think about it when I was snapping pictures before we closed escrow... However, a basket with dirty linen and towels in a guest bathroom is equally - UGH!
September 29, 2013 at 8:41am     
shesha
shelving for storing toliet paper and the like. if you were going to put hand towels i'd add a tension rod and curtain since its so close to the toliet.
September 29, 2013 at 10:48am      Thanked by tbiso
Jean Blasingame
Since it's a guest bath, I suggest built-in shelving to store nice, thick, neatly folded or rolled bath/hand towels, basket or tray of toiletries, soaps...think posh hotel accommodations. Add a few books, magazines, or any other personal items you may want to make your guest feel special & welcome.
September 29, 2013 at 4:10pm        Thanked by tbiso
PRO
Super Organizing Solutions
Of course the obvious is to add a basket for storage of towels, toiletries, etc. Other possibility is to get a small vanity stool and turn the counter into an area for applying makeup and grooming products. Add a magnifying mirror to the wall. Maybe an additonal shelf along side wall. Tray on the counter to hold accessories. Have you considered painting the room a color and/or adding hardware to the doors for a little more interest?
September 29, 2013 at 4:25pm     
tbiso
yes the room will be painted a deep blue and the cabinets are going to be painted as well. I think they are going to be white. The floor will be a dark bamboo hardwood. And yes we are adding hardware to the doors for sure. I believe brushed nickel....
September 29, 2013 at 4:28pm   
Nancy Walton
I would use the space to store my multi-pack toilet paper and paper towels, then hang a pretty curtain across. Attach using velcro to the backside of the lip in your countertop.
September 29, 2013 at 4:30pm      Thanked by tbiso
sstarr
I don't understand the seat up revulsion factor.... ?
September 29, 2013 at 4:36pm     
condomary
For health reasons -lid, therefore the seat, down.
According to Charles Gerba, PhD, a professor of microbiology at University of Arizona in Tucson, flushing the toilet with the lid up is not wise. "Polluted water vapor erupts out of the flushing toilet bowl and it can take several hours for these particles to finally settle -- not to mention where," he says. "If you have your toothbrush too close to the toilet, you are brushing your teeth with what's in your toilet."
September 29, 2013 at 8:59pm   
Sharon
Can you have cupboard shelves & doors added to it?
September 29, 2013 at 10:42pm   
rosecafe
Sstar93. Oh, dear lord....
September 30, 2013 at 4:41am   
rosecafe
Tibiso, I'm thinking dark blue, small room. No. A classy basket on wheels is a perfect solution. Yes. Lol
September 30, 2013 at 4:43am   
giaksch
People (original builders) make the silliest choices!
September 30, 2013 at 4:45am     
rosecafe
AVSInteriors. Why not a bowl of oranges and a blender ? i pad stand, record player, a T V . A toaster ? . It's the guest BATH room, not the guestroom.
September 30, 2013 at 4:48am   
PRO
Interior Style Solutions
Shelves for baskets and candles
September 30, 2013 at 4:56am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Rosecafe - not clear what point you are trying to make? What I suggested: magazines and toilet rolls ARE for the guest bathroom. But by all means, if you feel it necessary to make further useful suggestions then do so.
September 30, 2013 at 7:29am     
louiseberube
super organizing solutions: the idea of a stool or to use that space as a make-up center with mirror is ridiculous....unless you are very small. look at the space between the toilet and the unit, you'd have to go in sideways!
September 30, 2013 at 7:37am   
bellesum
Put a shallow basket of nicely rolled up hand towels on the counter top together with a fragrance bottle with diffuser sticks and perhaps a pot of orchid. Under the counter would be a logical place for a nice taller basket for used towel and maybe a lined bin for other waste like tissue paper. I have seen this arrangement often in powder rooms.
October 1, 2013 at 4:27pm   
PRO
Thos. Baker
We would swap out the existing counter and sink for an elegant vanity. While still providing plenty of storage, a vanity will function as an elegant piece of furniture in a guest bath.
http://www.thosbaker.com/webster-36-in-single-vanity-mahogany-white.html?sc=66&category=136644
February 21, 2014 at 2:54pm     
dmpineda2
Can you change out the counter, and put in a tower, or even IKEA bookcase with doors? Would look more custom fit for the space. Not for books, but linens, extra storage for toiletries when no guests, etc. Keeping the cabinet saves $ and usu big box stores sell standard size counters for pretty reasonable $.
February 21, 2014 at 3:08pm   
Denita
Agree with Thos. Baker but would use a larger furniture like vanity rather than the small one (naturally would have to go with owners style, this is just an example) Then put up a framed mirror. It would change the look of the whole bath for not a lot of $$$.

February 21, 2014 at 3:11pm   
lalalander989
A bookshelf with baskets to hold towels and toilet paper.
February 21, 2014 at 3:12pm   
happyasaclam
That spot is meant for a short vanity stool.
February 21, 2014 at 3:20pm   
Britt Domke
I'd have that part of the counter cut right off/replaced with a smaller one right on top of the existing cabinet, then put in an attractive tall corner cabinet with glass doors to store towels, bath salts, fancy soaps etc that guests might enjoy using.
February 21, 2014 at 3:42pm   
Nancy Walton
It can't be used as a vanity, as there is not enough space in front of the toilet.
February 21, 2014 at 3:49pm     
happyasaclam
That's true, Nancy. :)
February 21, 2014 at 3:51pm