Structural question: Can I remove the central post?
grewa002
Hello, we are building a summer house in Greece. We have asked the contractor to build a pergola over a patio by the barbecue. We are planning to plant some kind of vine over it for shade. The pergola is 6 meters in length, and the other dimension is semicircular, with the biggest dimension also 6 meters. The posts are made of aluminum. The builder put a central post, right in the middle of the patio, and he says it cannot be removed structurally. Any ideas how the rest of the structure can be reinforced, so that we remove the central post?
rosecafe
If you're going to add the weight of a vine, you'll need to beef up the horizontal beams. The spindly looking ones your 'contractor' has employed are nowhere near heavy enough, they'll soon be sagging- get an engineers advice.) In so doing, make them big enough to carry the considerable weight of a vine over the full width of the structure and remove the central post.( you can't live with that post there). Decorative grapes might be a good choice of vine, eat the fruit, enjoy the summer shade. Or bougainvillea for color ( mind the spikes) . Best looking is aWisteria, but it's a slow grower.
September 29, 2013 at 9:58am   
grewa002
Thanks! We are thinking of bougainvillea or a evergreen, actual grapes create make stains.
We had not thought of the possibility of a post in the middle, so we had not discussed this in advance! But we'll put a hold on the works now, till we figure it out
September 29, 2013 at 11:01am   
morrse
I would think the post is necessary. I would also get my money back for the whole thing. I doubt it would hold as is without sagging. I would require him to show you one that is holding up if he insists that it is fine.
September 29, 2013 at 5:51pm   
grewa002
The contractor said he can put another post a few inches underneath the middle horizontal post and connect them together to reinforce it, and then remove the central post. Does it make sense?
September 30, 2013 at 1:28pm   
How can I post a question directly from my phone app?
I can't se to attach photo from my camera library....
I stay in Durban Central - where can I get the red chair from??
About to finish my kitchen and shopping around - this...
how do I remove a post that I made?
I received the answer I needed so I would like to delete...
Empty living room!
Just moved in to a house from very small apartment...
Smoke/CO Detector Placement
We currently have only one smoke detector in our 1980's...
I robot roomba
Does anyone have one? Does it work on hardwood floors?...
Area next to entry way - need good ideas
Still in the process of remodeling the house, and there...