My house needs a facelift!!
hovbos
September 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I don't care for the color of our house and want a more updated look. It is in the Midwest, so the color seems a little more "Florida" than I would like.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Lots of potential depending on the budget.

September 29, 2013 at 4:38pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
Your house could easily pick up the apricot door and blue gray trim features of this ranch. But that isn't the only thing that adds interest. The strong horizontal lines, front facing eaves of the shed roofs over the windows, prairie glass sashes, pergola, craftsman door, and large, decorative bracing, square pillars with splayed stone bases, stonework and continuous lintel all give this home a wonderful characteristic feel. These elements could be applied to your home.

September 29, 2013 at 5:25pm   
libradesigneye
It has faded in the sun - they picked a color to pick up on the tone of the stone and now it is kind of pink. You need charcoal fascia, posts, eave, window trim. Your body color wants to flow with the stone, but it can pull from the lighter gray tones i see in it - maybe light french gray for siding/ garage and classic french gray trim from sw? You can also try something earthier that matches the brick better for siding - a deeper pink-brown-tan - with dark gray trim it will get an instant update.

Seems to me the entry brick pillar is not the same brick as the house brick - if i'm right, paint it the charcoal of your trim color for contrast. New light fixtures at pillars and entry will make you feel better - draw on some of the more classic makers who use art lines http://www.lightingdirect.com/hubbardton-forge-335796-single-light-outdoor-pier-mount-light-with-square-collar-from-the-banded-collection/p1671133

You didn't ask about your entry pillars but eaglezines is right - if you wanted to rework that area / lose the round pillars that don't suit the gable ends / there are some retrofit timber / eave elements you could add across / posts / underneath that would do a lot for this place.
September 29, 2013 at 9:52pm