Space under second story deck unusable in the rain
snarfy
Located near Seattle it rains quite a bit. Thinking about expanding the basement deck and somehow making the second story deck waterproof to make it a more usable space, especially in inclement weather.
rosecottagehome
I think expanding your lower deck out to your posts would work and allow you to turn that area into another outdoor living space, such as a hot tub spa area maybe or the shady outdoor living room. There are materials out there at the box stores to be installed under the existing decks to make them waterproof as well, they give a white outdoor " ceiling" look to the space below. Not sure if this material is costly or not.
September 29, 2013 at 1:15pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
I would higher a deck company to install a waterproof membrane on the upper deck you can do a cheaper deck coating or do a ungrouted tile that allows water to drain and this will provide you a usable under space
September 29, 2013 at 1:53pm   
Moonlight Decks LLC
Definitely expand the deck underneath. There are manufacturers that local deck builders can work with for a "Dry Below" deck. Don't forget to add in some lighting so you can use both decks at night too.
October 8, 2013 at 8:12pm   
Wise Pool & Spa Service, Inc.
I totally agree with what is mentioned above! Imagine soaking in a hot tub/spa while enjoying your view!

October 10, 2013 at 9:43am   
Artwork
There are many ways to waterproof the area under the deck. Most of them are unattractive. I have a way. It is easier from above with no decking in the way, but someone could cleverly do it from below. Tack wood strips to either side of the joist spaces with a slight pitch in the direction you would like the water to flow. Then cut corrugated fiberglass roofing panels on a table saw to fit tightly over the strips (You can see why it would be easier to drop them in from above.) Secure them in whatever manner suits the situation , silicone the edges and you are good to go.
October 10, 2013 at 10:01am   
DMH DESIGN
Consider your ROI on this property. Solve this problem with as few moving parts as possible. It appears to me that you have two options. First is to use a system to weather proof the top deck, to create a weather barrier for the expanded basement deck, right?

Consider using P&M Fiberglass, located in Ballard. These folks do a great process (especially for exposed decks over living space). Pat, the owner tells me that his process can last 15, 20 years, or even longer, if the installation is done per spec, and any minor repairs to the surface are executed in timely fashion. Initially, a more expensive option than Gaco, but over the long term requiring far less maintenance.

Your second, and what I feel is your best option would be to build a roof over the main floor deck, which in turn provides cover for the lower deck. We just designed a project like this for a Bellevue family, and they are exstatic. It has become a year 'round usable extension of their home. They have propane heat, dimmable lights, a fan and speakers to enjoy music while they are entertaining. The roof has 4 skylights and a vaulted ceiling to let the natural light in. Roofs require little maintenance, and I feel this method allows for maximum enjoyment with minimum maintenance, for both their deck and patio area below.

Here is an example for you--a roof built over an existing deck and stair. The columns have been trimmed out since these were taken almost a year ago. Yours could look and work just as well. We would love to consult on this with you. Happy Houzzing.
October 11, 2013 at 9:18am     
Rockin' Fine Finish
Very nice work DMH
October 11, 2013 at 9:37am     
DMH DESIGN
I agree, there are many different directions this can go, depending on what you feel comfortable in spending on this project. HH!
October 11, 2013 at 11:55am   
How is rain diverted on the second story deck?
Is it dry underneath the second story deck? Curious...
Moving Granite slab safely over a second story deck
Yikes! Our granit e island is unlikely to go up our...
Second story decks
I'm looking to hide all of the supports for the deck!...
Can we add a second story deck here?
We have a great view from our 7 large windows that...
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...
New House Practically Blank Slate
Just moved into new house--open concept living, dining,...
VOTE: What color Fireplace?
Room will be cleared out and painted SW Meiga Greige....
Unfinished living room
Is a shame to say this but for some reason or another...
Need help to redo our house and landscape
Please find attached the pics of outdoors.This place...